Summary of OpenStreetMap Contributor Terms
This is only a summary and is not legally binding! The full text can be found at Contributor Terms. You can find more discussion by the Contributor community : here
- Do not put in data you don't have permission to submit. It should either be your own work or something that there is clear permission to use.
- You still own the bits of data you put in, i.e. you can still use them in other places.
- You allow the OpenStreetMap Foundation to publish your bits of data as part of the OpenStreetMap geodata set for others to use.
- The OpenStreetMap Foundation can only publish the data under a free and open license. If it fails in that, it has broken a contract with you.
- The license is currently Open Database License 1.0. Here is a summary version
- The OpenStreetMap Foundation can only pick a new free license if it's approved by the OSMF membership (a foundation of paid-up members) and a 2/3 majority vote of active contributors. You'll be considered an active contributor if you've edited in at least 3 out of the last 12 months and don't take longer than 3 weeks to reply to E-Mail.
- If you want attribution you should add your name to the Contributors page.
- Both you and the OpenStreetMap Foundation disclaim responsibility for anything that might happen to folks using your data.