Difference between revisions of "Board/Minutes/2017-05-09"

m (→‎F2F Agenda: Changed Lead)
m (Addition of draft minutes)
<font color="red">Draft AgendaMinutes</font><br/>
Location: Mumble, '''Tuesday''' 2017-05-09, 20:00 London time
 
2016-10-28: Peter to create a page on the wiki, listing software products which are used by OSMF and aren't open-source<br/>
2017-02-21: Paul to separate the [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes//2017-02-21/SotM_net_profit State of the Map (SotM) net profit] discussion items and start the follow-up discussions<br>
2017-03-21: <strike>Paul and Mikel to join next call of Martijn with the F2F host</strike> (time-limited action point)<br>
2017-03-21: <strike>Paul to reach to LCs about sending representatives to the Advisory Board</strike> (done)<br>
2017-03-21: <strike>Mikel to get list of SotM potential sponsors in order, together with Rob</strike> (done)<br>
2017-04-18: Peter to make a list of requirements for self-hosting and discuss them with the OWG<br>
2017-04-18: <strike>Martijn to follow-up with Paul regarding joining call with F2F host</strike> (time-limited action point)<br>
2017-04-18: Paul to send the text for Advisory Board LC representatives to osmf-talk<br>
2017-04-18: <strike>Frederik to send e-mail to osmf-talk@ and ask opinions on board term limits</strike> ([https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2017-April/004146.html done])<br>
2017-04-18: Peter to create page on OSM wiki regarding board meeting - which can be linked from the calendar<br>
 
{| style="color: grey; background-color: #d3d3d3;
<span style="font-size:88%">Minutes' topics:
[[#F2F_Agenda |F2F Agenda]] | [[#F2F_Logistics_.28update.29 |F2F Logistics]] | [[#UK_Local_Chapter_application |UK LC application]] | [[#LWG_request_for_some_of_Dorothea.27s_time |LWG request]] | [[#Advisory_Board_.28update.29 |AB]] </span>
|}
 
== F2F Agenda ==
{| class="wikitable"
|-
|''Discussion about the agenda of the upcoming Face-to-Face (F2F) board meeting (May 20-21, Amsterdam).''
|-
|''Lead: Mikel''
|}
 
=== Facilitation ===
No facilitation will be needed this year, as we're in a good place to proceed on our own without involving the host.
 
=== Setting the agenda ===
A short questionnaire was emailed to all board members.<br>
Answers were broken down into:
* Common topics that we want to specifically talk about
* What we want out of this as individual board members
* What we want from the F2F as a board
 
=== Topics ===
2-3 topics which were high priority and very strongly on everyone's mind:
* Breadth and meaning of our community
* Issues related to corporate involvement
* Working Groups and (processes, communication, transparency)
 
3-4 open working sessions (no topics set), to deal with topics that come out of the other sessions.
 
=== Structure ===
* Opening circle
* Main and open working sessions with breaks
* Closing session - there are specific ideas to make things actionable
 
=== Consistent theme ===
Get a clear idea of how we, as a board, are working and what we're going to do over the course of the remainder term of the board.
 
'''Note:''' There will be homework prior to the meeting!
 
{| style="color: grey; background-color: #d3d3d3;
<span style="font-size:88%">Minutes' topics:
[[#F2F_Agenda |F2F Agenda]] | [[#F2F_Logistics_.28update.29 |F2F Logistics]] | [[#UK_Local_Chapter_application |UK LC application]] | [[#LWG_request_for_some_of_Dorothea.27s_time |LWG request]] | [[#Advisory_Board_.28update.29 |AB]] </span>
|}
 
|-
|''Lead: Martijn''
|}
 
'''Venue:''' Same as last year<br>
'''Meeting the local community:''' Saturday night
 
{| style="color: grey; background-color: #d3d3d3;
<span style="font-size:88%">Minutes' topics:
[[#F2F_Agenda |F2F Agenda]] | [[#F2F_Logistics_.28update.29 |F2F Logistics]] | [[#UK_Local_Chapter_application |UK LC application]] | [[#LWG_request_for_some_of_Dorothea.27s_time |LWG request]] | [[#Advisory_Board_.28update.29 |AB]] </span>
|}
 
{| class="wikitable"
|-
|''OpenStreetMap United Kingdom ([http://osmuk.org/ OSM UKOSMUK]) has [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Local_Chapters/Applications/United_Kingdom applied] to become the OSMF local chapter for the United Kingdom (including the Isle of Man and Channel Islands). Please note that for consultation and as part of due diligence, the OSMF community has already been asked (on [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2017-April/004131.html osmf-talk] and at local mailing lists) for comments on the application.''
 
 
Feedback specific to Ireland was that there would be an application for a local chapter covering the island of Ireland from OSMIE, so potentially Northern Ireland would have both OSM UK and OSMIE covering it.
Points of concern raised were that
 
-* The group morphed from GB to UK
* The group largely ignores existing channels of communication with the GB/UK community
 
-* The group largelyis ignoresfocused existingon channelsthe ofWest communicationMidlands withand doesn't represent the wider GB/UK community
* One group cannot be considered representative of the whole UK community
 
- The group is focused on the West Midlands and doesn't represent the wider GB community
 
- One group cannot be considered representative of the whole UK community
 
- Suggested change of having the "Chapter support and campaign for the interests of the local community" instead of "represent the interests of the local community" with a caveat that the OSMF believes that it is not appropriate for a single organisation to be recognised as the representative of this community
 
- The proposed OSMUK is representative of a some UK OSMers (mainly from West Mids) but not much else as far as I can tell.
 
|-
|''Lead: Paul''
|}
 
=== Comments on particular issues ===
 
''On OSMIE also applying (in the future) to become a Local Chapter, so if accepted both OSMUK and OSMIE will cover Northern Ireland''
* Nothing stops us form having two Local Chapters over Northern Ireland. The agreement allows it, we just have to consult with OSM-UK before doing so.
 
''On concerns about OSMUK not being representative of UK community, ignoring existing communication channels and mainly being representative of west Midlands.''
* More people provided negative feedback regarding the OSM-UK application, compared to any previous LC application.
* While OSMUK originated in Midlands, they did give people ample chance to become involved. If no-one got involved, no-one could blame them.
 
=== Not an open membership system ===
''This is an issue not mentioned in the background information above, discovered internally.''<br>
 
* OSMUK does not have an open membership system - the OSMUK board has to approve the members.
 
Note: Probably not a conscious selection, could have come from a template, similarly to how we got that clause about 5 years ago.
 
=== Possible decisions ===
* Reject
* Approve
* Approve but exclude Northern Ireland
* Approve with suggested changes
* Ask for more information
=== Suggestions ===
1. Bring feedback and concerns to OSMUK applicants, get their input, see if there are some additional steps or actions they would want to take.
 
2. Could provisionally accept, mentioning that it is expected of OSMUK to:<br>
- strive to represent the whole UK community and<br>
- be an open community<br>
..and if this doesn't work out, we might have to revisit the agreement at a later time.
 
'''On suggesting a change in the OSMUK Articles of Association:'''
* It would probably be a lengthy process.
* OSMUK might want to change the membership clause anyway, if it got in the Articles of Association without them really realising it.
=== Action ===
'''Action Point:''' Paul to get back to OSMUK with questions about the articles and the membership.
 
{| style="color: grey; background-color: #d3d3d3;
<span style="font-size:88%">Minutes' topics:
[[#F2F_Agenda |F2F Agenda]] | [[#F2F_Logistics_.28update.29 |F2F Logistics]] | [[#UK_Local_Chapter_application |UK LC application]] | [[#LWG_request_for_some_of_Dorothea.27s_time |LWG request]] | [[#Advisory_Board_.28update.29 |AB]] </span>
|}
 
|-
|''Lead: Martijn''
|}
 
=== Points mentioned during discussion ===
 
* Minuting will probably take more time than suggested
* Good use of time, in support of what we said we want the Working Groups to do (better minutes)
* Suggestion of creating some sort of policy, since:
** The LWG might not be the last group asking for this. SotM-WG already has.
** Limited hours available.
** Dorothea is mainly appointed to help us as a board.
 
=== Decision ===
* Acceptance of LWG's request and re-evaluation after 3 months.
* Martijn will keep tabs with Dorothea to see:
** how much time consuming it is &
** if it eats up into any other activities related to the board too much.
 
{| style="color: grey; background-color: #d3d3d3;
<span style="font-size:88%">Minutes' topics:
[[#F2F_Agenda |F2F Agenda]] | [[#F2F_Logistics_.28update.29 |F2F Logistics]] | [[#UK_Local_Chapter_application |UK LC application]] | [[#LWG_request_for_some_of_Dorothea.27s_time |LWG request]] | [[#Advisory_Board_.28update.29 |AB]] </span>
|}
 
== Any other business ==
 
=== Advisory Board (update) ===
 
* Grant was helpful in transitioning some administrative access to our email groups' operations.
* Three corporate Advisory Board (AB) members and the board have been added to the AB mailing list.
* Paul has asked the LCs of Iceland & Switzerland to dispatch their representatives.
 
'''Action points'''<br>
* Martijn to create initial draft of AB welcome email and solicit feedback from the board.
* Paul to find the contact email of the Italian LC.
 
Note: Need to think how to store contact information of LCs, as for Iceland there wasn't a group email, just contact information for an individual.
 
{| style="color: grey; background-color: #d3d3d3;
<span style="font-size:88%">Minutes' topics:
[[#F2F_Agenda |F2F Agenda]] | [[#F2F_Logistics_.28update.29 |F2F Logistics]] | [[#UK_Local_Chapter_application |UK LC application]] | [[#LWG_request_for_some_of_Dorothea.27s_time |LWG request]] | [[#Advisory_Board_.28update.29 |AB]] </span>
|}
 
== Next meeting ==