Difference between revisions of "Board/Minutes/2017-09-21"

From OpenStreetMap Foundation
m (Removal of crossed-out action item)
m (Addition of topic "HOT and OSMF" & of two action item updates)
Line 29: Line 29:
 
2016-08-19: Mikel to send round bullet points on diversity policy proposal<br/>
 
2016-08-19: Mikel to send round bullet points on diversity policy proposal<br/>
 
2016-08-19: Ilya to look at implementing means for members to view the membership register<br/>
 
2016-08-19: Ilya to look at implementing means for members to view the membership register<br/>
2016-09-25: Martijn to notify board when US has done policy on smaller grants<br/>
+
2016-09-25: Martijn to notify board when US has done policy on smaller grants (''update: draft of policy ready'')<br/>
 
2016-10-28: Peter to create a page on the wiki, listing software products which are used by OSMF and aren't open-source<br/>
 
2016-10-28: Peter to create a page on the wiki, listing software products which are used by OSMF and aren't open-source<br/>
 
2017-02-21: Paul to separate the [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes//2017-02-21/SotM_net_profit State of the Map (SotM) net profit] discussion items and start the follow-up discussions<br>
 
2017-02-21: Paul to separate the [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes//2017-02-21/SotM_net_profit State of the Map (SotM) net profit] discussion items and start the follow-up discussions<br>
 
2017-04-18: Peter to make a list of requirements for self-hosting and discuss them with the OWG<br>
 
2017-04-18: Peter to make a list of requirements for self-hosting and discuss them with the OWG<br>
2017-06-20: Martijn to draft message to HOT board about having a seat on the Advisory Board upfront & ask if the current Corporate Membership levels are ok or if they want a discount<br/>
+
2017-06-20: <strike>Martijn to draft message to HOT board about having a seat on the Advisory Board upfront & ask if the current Corporate Membership levels are ok or if they want a discount</strike> (''update: message arranging a meeting sent'')<br/>
 
2017-08-24: Kate to contact Michael about closing inactive mailing lists that she is an admin of<br/>
 
2017-08-24: Kate to contact Michael about closing inactive mailing lists that she is an admin of<br/>
 
2017-08-24: <strike>Frederik to follow up with Martijn regarding the German Local Chapter application</strike> (done)<br/>
 
2017-08-24: <strike>Frederik to follow up with Martijn regarding the German Local Chapter application</strike> (done)<br/>
Line 50: Line 50:
 
{| class="wikitable"
 
{| class="wikitable"
 
|-
 
|-
|''The Welcome Mat will be a guide to organisations and corporations that want to be involved with OpenStreetMap. It will have information to familiarise themselves with the project, the community and especially to learn our expectations and their responsibilities. <br/><br/> Previous discussions: [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2017-08-24#Welcome_Mat_progress_-_next_steps August 2017], [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2017-07-18#Welcome_Mat July 2017]. <br/> The Welcome Mat was proposed during the [https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2017/06/27/summary-of-boards-face-to-face-meeting/ Face-to-Face board meeting in May]. Please note that the name might change. ''
+
|''The Welcome Mat will be a guide to organisations and corporations that want to be involved with OpenStreetMap. It will have information to familiarise themselves with the project, the community and especially to learn our expectations and their responsibilities. <br/><br/> Previous discussions: [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2017-08-24#Welcome_Mat_progress_-_next_steps August 2017], [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2017-07-18#Welcome_Mat July 2017]. <br/> <br/> The Welcome Mat was proposed during the [https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2017/06/27/summary-of-boards-face-to-face-meeting/ Face-to-Face board meeting in May]. Please note that the name might change. ''
 
|-
 
|-
 
|}
 
|}
Line 63: Line 63:
 
* ''Banner at www.osm.org, linking to page that clearly explains OSMF''
 
* ''Banner at www.osm.org, linking to page that clearly explains OSMF''
 
''Previous discussion: [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2017-08-24#Membership_drive_progress_-_next_steps August 2017] <br/> The Membership Drive was proposed during the [https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2017/06/27/summary-of-boards-face-to-face-meeting/ Face-to-Face board meeting in May] and will be done together with the [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Membership_Working_Group MWG] and the [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Communication_Working_Group CWG]. ''
 
''Previous discussion: [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2017-08-24#Membership_drive_progress_-_next_steps August 2017] <br/> The Membership Drive was proposed during the [https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2017/06/27/summary-of-boards-face-to-face-meeting/ Face-to-Face board meeting in May] and will be done together with the [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Membership_Working_Group MWG] and the [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Communication_Working_Group CWG]. ''
  +
|-
  +
|}
  +
  +
== HOT and OSMF ==
  +
{| class="wikitable"
  +
|-
  +
|'' Discussion with members of the [https://www.hotosm.org/ Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team] board about ways to strengthen the relationship between HOT and OSMF. Suggestions that might be discussed:''
  +
* ''Inviting HOT to the [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Advisory_Board Advisory Board] upfront formalising our relationship and assuming that it will eventually lead HOT to become a Corporate Member or a thematic Chapter which would get a seat on the AB anyway.''
  +
* ''HOT working with the OSMF [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Communication_Working_Group Communications Working Group] on materials to enable mapathon organisers to better tell the OSM story during events.''
  +
* ''Better communication channels (both social media and board to board communications).''
  +
''Previous OSMF board discussion: [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2017-06-20#OSMF_and_HOT June 2017]
 
|-
 
|-
 
|}
 
|}

Revision as of 09:03, 20 September 2017

Draft Agenda
Location: Mumble, Thursday 2017-09-21, 21:00 London time

The recurring date and time of the monthly board meetings has changed!

Participants

Board members

Guests

Open to all members

Guests are welcome to speak at the end of the meeting on the topics that have been discussed. Please note that text messages sent on Mumble chat may not be seen by people who join using mobile apps.

Not Present

Administrative

Previous minutes

Circular Resolutions

Previous action items

2016-05-28: Martijn to find someone to work with to distil action items and next steps for diversity objectives
2016-05-28: Martijn/Kate to draft diversity policy
2016-05-28: Frederik/Paul to prepare transparency doc from transparency session
2016-08-19: Mikel to send round bullet points on diversity policy proposal
2016-08-19: Ilya to look at implementing means for members to view the membership register
2016-09-25: Martijn to notify board when US has done policy on smaller grants (update: draft of policy ready)
2016-10-28: Peter to create a page on the wiki, listing software products which are used by OSMF and aren't open-source
2017-02-21: Paul to separate the State of the Map (SotM) net profit discussion items and start the follow-up discussions
2017-04-18: Peter to make a list of requirements for self-hosting and discuss them with the OWG
2017-06-20: Martijn to draft message to HOT board about having a seat on the Advisory Board upfront & ask if the current Corporate Membership levels are ok or if they want a discount (update: message arranging a meeting sent)
2017-08-24: Kate to contact Michael about closing inactive mailing lists that she is an admin of
2017-08-24: Frederik to follow up with Martijn regarding the German Local Chapter application (done)
2017-08-24: Mikel to send email on the list to find businesses who would like to offer input on the Welcome Mat
2017-08-24: Kate to write to the Advisory Board list about microgrants

Travel policy update

Discussion about updating the current travel policy and possibly having a yearly standing budget for small travel grants, available to mappers and developers who would like to attend an OpenStreetMap event. It has been proposed that the process should be standardised, the budget limited and the amounts claimed -as well as the name of the persons- public.

Updating the travel policy was initially proposed during the Face-to-Face board meeting in May, where it was also discussed whether the policy should cover board members' travel to regional State of the Map (SotM) conferences that have requested board presence - or whether giving the money directly to regional SotMs might be preferable.

The current travel policy automatically covers board members' travel to the international State of the Map conference and essential OSM Foundation duty - everything else needs to be discussed.

Welcome Mat progress

The Welcome Mat will be a guide to organisations and corporations that want to be involved with OpenStreetMap. It will have information to familiarise themselves with the project, the community and especially to learn our expectations and their responsibilities.

Previous discussions: August 2017, July 2017.

The Welcome Mat was proposed during the Face-to-Face board meeting in May. Please note that the name might change.

Membership Drive progress

Members are vital to our project and we welcome all who support our goals to join us. We will run a Membership drive to increase the number of members and -as importantly- to try to increase the representation from all places where people are mapping. Consider joining the Foundation, especially if you belong to an under-represented group.

The following suggestions, received via email, might also be discussed:

  • Auto-renew as an option for OSMF membership
  • Automatic inclusion of 12 months OSMF membership (or membership extension) in SotM event registration
  • Banner at www.osm.org, linking to page that clearly explains OSMF

Previous discussion: August 2017
The Membership Drive was proposed during the Face-to-Face board meeting in May and will be done together with the MWG and the CWG.

HOT and OSMF

Discussion with members of the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team board about ways to strengthen the relationship between HOT and OSMF. Suggestions that might be discussed:
  • Inviting HOT to the Advisory Board upfront formalising our relationship and assuming that it will eventually lead HOT to become a Corporate Member or a thematic Chapter which would get a seat on the AB anyway.
  • HOT working with the OSMF Communications Working Group on materials to enable mapathon organisers to better tell the OSM story during events.
  • Better communication channels (both social media and board to board communications).

Previous OSMF board discussion: June 2017

Any other business

Next meeting

The recurring date and time of the monthly board meetings has changed! Meetings will now take place on the 3rd Thursday of the month, at 21:00 London time, unless rescheduled.

The next monthly board meeting will be on the 19th of October, at 21:00 London time.

Meeting end