Board/Minutes/2017-10-26

From OpenStreetMap Foundation
Revision as of 23:20, 23 October 2017 by Dorothea (talk | contribs) (Addition of topics and of an action item)

Draft Agenda
Location: Mumble, Thursday 2017-10-26, 19:00 London time

Participants

Board members

Guests

Open to all OSMF members.

Guests are welcome to speak at the end of the meeting on the topics that have been discussed. Please note that text messages sent on Mumble chat may not be seen by people who join using mobile apps.

Not Present

Administrative

Previous minutes

Circular Resolutions

None

Previous action items

The list is sortable and items that were assigned to two persons appear twice.

Name Date Action item and status
Frederik/Paul 2016-05-28 to prepare transparency document from transparency session
Ilya 2016-08-19 to look at implementing means for members to view the membership register
# Got key from Tom for accessing the server. Administrative work done, programming not yet.
Kate/Paul 2017-09-21 to write to F. Davies and see if he's still available to offer legal advice regarding conflicts of interest
Kate 2017-09-21 to announce the Membership Drive during her remote keynote at SotM-Asia 2017
# Done
Kate 2017-08-24 to write to the Advisory Board list about microgrants
Kate 2017-08-24 to contact Michael about closing inactive mailing lists that she is an admin of
Kate/Martijn 2016-05-28 to draft diversity policy
# No progress to report. Low priority.
Martijn 2017-07-18 to look at the process of regular reporting by the Local Chapters to the board and vice versa.
Martijn/Kate 2016-05-28 to draft diversity policy
# No progress to report. Low priority.
Mikel 2017-08-24 to send email on the list to find businesses who would like to offer input on the Welcome Mat
Mikel 2016-08-19 to send round bullet points on diversity policy proposal
Paul/Kate 2017-09-21 to write to F. Davies and see if he's still available to offer legal advice regarding conflicts of interest
Paul 2017-09-21 to identify closed-source software products and/or externally hosted services that the board uses and then send email to the Working Groups to identify what they are using
# Done
Paul 2017-02-21 to separate the State of the Map (SotM) net profit discussion items and start the follow-up discussions
Paul 2016-10-28 to create a page on the wiki, listing software products which are used by OSMF and are closed-source and/or are externally hosted
# Was Peter's
Paul/Frederik 2016-05-28 to prepare transparency document from transparency session
Peter 2017-04-18 to make a list of requirements for email self-hosting and discuss them with the OWG

State of the Map policy

The State of the Map (SotM) conference is the annual, international conference of OpenStreetMap and it is organised by the SotM Working Group of the OpenStreetMap Foundation. Regional SotM conferences (such as SotM-Asia, SotM-Africa, SotM-LatAm) are organised exclusively by local teams, which run their own sponsorship programs and have separate budgets from the OSM Foundation.

This distinction is not always clear, sometimes creating confusion (for example, sponsors of regional SotM events mistakenly sending emails to the OSMF SotM Working Group). Additionally, there could be occasions where the regional SotM event dates might clash with the dates of the international SotM. This discussion will be about the introduction of a policy related to regional SotM events, that could cover areas such as event clashes, codes of conduct and others. A list of related ideas has been submitted to the board via email by Rob Nickerson (SotM-WG leader for SotM2017 and SotM2016).

Advisory Board on-boarding

The Advisory Board is an entity separate from the OSMF board of directors, composed of individuals - either nominated by corporate members of the OSMF or invited directly by the OSMF board of directors. Discussion about on-boarding.

Planning of the 2017 Annual General Meeting

Annual General Meetings are held once per year with the main order of business being to present the financial accounts for the last year, and election of new board members. This year's AGM will probably take place in December. What might be discussed:
  • Any resolutions for members to vote on
  • Board elections' planning
  • Ensuring that the voting process works

Local Chapter applications - Update

The two current Local Chapter applications are from Germany and Belgium.

Previous updates or discussions:
September 2017 (Germany and Belgium),
August 2017 (Germany),
July 2017 (Germany).

SotM-WG request for some of Dorothea's time

The State of the Map Working Group has sent an email to the board, asking whether administrative support can be provided for SotM2018, as it was for SotM2017. This will be mainly for scholarship support (if scholarships will be provided - something yet to be confirmed) and for sponsorship administrative work. The ratio is expected to be roughly 60%:40%. A maximum number of 100 hours has been suggested (down from 124 last year).

Any Other Business

Next meeting

Meetings now take place on the 3rd Thursday of the month, at 21:00 London time, unless rescheduled.

The next monthly board meeting will be on the 16th of November, at 21:00 London time.

Meeting end