Location: Mumble, Thursday 2017-11-16, 21:00 London time
- 1 Participants
- 2 Administrative
- 3 Planning the 2017 Annual General Meeting (update)
- 4 Membership Drive (update)
- 5 Travel policy update
- 6 Welcome Mat (update)
- 7 Grant for hardware
- 8 Any other business
- 9 Next meeting
- Kate Chapman (Chair)
- Frederik Ramm
- Ilya Zverev
- Martijn van Exel
- Mikel Maron
- Paul Norman
- Peter Barth
Open to all OSMF members.
11 guests present :)
Guests are welcome to speak at the end of the meeting on the topics that have been discussed. Please note that text messages sent on Mumble chat may not be seen by people who join using mobile apps.
- Board/Minutes/2017-10-26 Accepted
Previous action items
The list is sortable and items that were assigned to two persons appear twice.
|Name||Date||Action item and status|
|All||2017-10-26||to go back to the State of the Map Working Group about what a statement regarding the SotM policy might look like. |
# If a reply takes longer than anticipated the announcement might have to be made anyway, as timing is crucial.
|Frederik/Paul||2016-05-28||to prepare transparency document from transparency session|
|Ilya||2016-08-19||to look at implementing means for members to view the membership register |
# Got key from Tom for accessing the server. Administrative work done, programming not yet.
|Kate/Paul||2017-09-21||to write to F. Davey and see if he's still available to offer legal advice regarding conflicts of interest|
|Kate||2017-08-24||to write to the Advisory Board list about microgrants|
|Kate||2017-08-24||to contact Michael about closing inactive mailing lists that she is an admin of|
|Kate/Martijn||2016-05-28||to draft diversity policy |
# No progress to report. Low priority.
# Done. Connected him with Dorothea.
|Martijn||2017-10-26||to raise the question to the Advisory Board about whether they would like to have an archive of the AB mailing list.|
# Martijn will prepare a brief orientation document for the AB and will ask then.
|Martijn||2017-07-18||to look at the process of regular reporting by the Local Chapters to the board and vice versa. |
|Martijn/Kate||2016-05-28||to draft diversity policy |
# No progress to report. Low priority.
|Mikel||2017-10-26||to check with Rob about the State of the Map 2018 lead |
# In progress
|Mikel||2017-08-24||to send email on the list to find businesses that would like to offer input on the Welcome Mat|
|Mikel||2016-08-19||to send round bullet points on diversity policy proposal|
|Paul/Kate||2017-09-21||to write to F. Davies and see if he's still available to offer legal advice regarding conflicts of interest|
|Paul||2017-02-21||to separate the State of the Map (SotM) net profit discussion items and start the follow-up discussions|
|Paul||2016-10-28||to create a page on the wiki, listing software products which are used by OSMF and are closed-source and/or are externally hosted |
# Was Peter's
|Paul/Frederik||2016-05-28||to prepare transparency document from transparency session|
|Peter||2017-04-18||to make a list of requirements for email self-hosting and discuss them with the OWG|
Planning the 2017 Annual General Meeting (update)
|Annual General Meetings are held once per year with the main order of business being to present the financial accounts for the last year, and election of new board members. |
Renewing memberships prior to the AGM
Voting: Only those who have already become members 30 days prior to the AGM date are eligible to vote. Members in arrears (who haven't paid their membership up to 1 year after its end date) don't have a right to vote. However, if they renew their memberships in time they could become eligible. In previous years we had a deadline of renewing members being eligible to vote only if they renew up to 24 hours before the Annual General Meeting, because otherwise it's impossible to update the voting registry.
- Look at the AGM and election process early next year, to be ready by the 2018 AGM. In addition to the issue above we could look at how candidates present themselves (Discussion on the 2017 election to Board wiki page).
- Do an amendment to the Articles of Association. This would mean that the new system could be implemented after two AGMs.
Action item: Martijn to send email to people with memberships in arrears or soon to expire, to renew them as soon as possible.
OSMF join date of election candidates
On the election page of the OSM wiki there is a column where candidates add the date they joined the OSM Foundation. However, in the past candidates were confused and added the date they joined OpenStreetMap.
Action item: Martijn to check the dates that candidates for the board have joined the OSMF.
Question and Answer session
Suggestion: Add a Q&A session to the AGM's agenda.
- The agenda cannot be changed at this point, but can be changed at the meeting.
- We already have a simple Q&A session after the Chairperson's and the Treasurer's reports.
Special resolutions from members
The board would like to see more direct democracy.
Action item: Next year send an email to members, months in advance of the AGM, encouraging them to discuss and perhaps propose their own resolutions.Topics: AGM planning | Membership Drive | Travel policy | Welcome Mat | Grant for hardware | AOB: Financial related | Thanks | Membership Waiver
Membership Drive (update)
| Members are vital to our project and we welcome all who support our goals to join us. We are running a Membership drive to increase the number of members and -as importantly- to try to increase the representation from all places where people are mapping. Join the Foundation - the future of the project should be shaped by the people who care about it the most. |
Previous discussion: August 2017
The Membership drive was proposed during the Face-to-Face board meeting in May.
- Successful: ~254 people joined since it started.
Suggestion: Summary blog post before the AGM.Topics: AGM planning | Membership Drive | Travel policy | Welcome Mat | Grant for hardware | AOB: Financial related | Thanks | Membership Waiver
Travel policy update
| Discussion about updating the current travel policy and possibly having a yearly standing budget for small travel grants, available to mappers and developers who would like to attend an OpenStreetMap event. It has been proposed that the process should be standardised, the budget limited and the amounts claimed -as well as the name of the persons- public. The updated travel policy would not be for events where there are already scholarships available, like State of the Map, but rather for smaller events like hack weekends or developer meetings, or occasions when someone involved in OSM backend coding would like to receive funding to attend (for example) a Ruby conference.|
Previous discussion: September 2017
A draft addressing both the microgrants and the travel policy was attempted but the board felt it's best if the documents are separate.
Points mentioned during discussion:
- Microgrants will have specific deadline dates for applications, while the travel grants will not.
- Centralised judging of the requests.
Action item: Martijn to do the microgrants policy first.
Question from Simon Poole (guest) whether travel should mostly be in the Working Group (WG) budgets.
- Probably not, as we would like to avoid every WG setting their own different rules regarding travel and then people applyingTopics: AGM planning | Membership Drive | Travel policy | Welcome Mat | Grant for hardware | AOB: Financial related | Thanks | Membership Waiver
Welcome Mat (update)
|The Welcome Mat will be a guide to organisations and corporations that want to be involved with OpenStreetMap. It will have information to familiarise themselves with the project, the community and especially to learn our expectations and their responsibilities. |
Previous discussions: September 2017, August 2017, July 2017.
The Welcome Mat was proposed during the Face-to-Face board meeting in May. Please note that the name might change.
Nothing new at the moment.
Action item: Martijn to schedule a working session about the Welcome Mat.Topics: AGM planning | Membership Drive | Travel policy | Welcome Mat | Grant for hardware | AOB: Financial related | Thanks | Membership Waiver
Grant for hardware
|Grant which we got for operations (new hardware).|
- Hardware is in place and operational.
Any other business
- We will switch to a new accountant who will start on January 1st. Frederik has met them in person.
- Frederik is currently the Treasurer and Peter is the second person with access to the bank accounts. Both are likely to serve one more year on the board.
Call to any candidate for the board that is interested in doing financial tasks: they can learn the ropes in the following 12 months and then could be the Treasurer if re-elected. Please note that roles are decided within the board, once a new board is formed.
Thanks to Ilya
Thanks were expressed to Ilya by Imagico (guest) and others, as this was Ilya's last board meeting.
Membership waiver program
Question from Joost Schouppe (guest) about whether there is any sort of timing on the membership waiver program.
- The Membership Working Group (MWG) will integrate feedback and then send the draft program around if necessary or to the board.Topics: AGM planning | Membership Drive | Travel policy | Welcome Mat | Grant for hardware | AOB: Financial related | Thanks | Membership Waiver
The next meeting will be the Annual General Meeting.