Difference between revisions of "Board/Minutes/2018-01-18"

From OpenStreetMap Foundation
m (→‎Dorothea's contract 2018: +invitation for members' feedback)
m (+Topic "Selection of Officers")
Line 175: Line 175:
|''[https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:HeatherLeson Heather Leson] is our [https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Foundation/AGM17/Election_to_Board#Results new] board member. Welcome!''
|''[https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:HeatherLeson Heather Leson] is our [https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Foundation/AGM17/Election_to_Board#Results new] board member. Welcome!''
== Selection of Officers ==
{| class="wikitable"
|''Selection of Chairperson, Treasurer and Secretary.''

Revision as of 19:13, 13 January 2018

Draft Agenda
Location: Mumble, Thursday 2018-01-18, 21:00 London time


Board members


Open to all OSMF members.

Guests are welcome to speak at the end of the meeting on the topics that have been discussed. Please note that text messages sent on Mumble chat may not be seen by people who join using mobile apps.

Not Present


Previous minutes

Circular Resolutions

2018/Res1 Accept German LC application

2018/Res1: Accept German LC application
OpenStreetMap Deutschland/FOSSGIS has applied to become the OSMF Local Chapter for Germany.
Accepted 2017-12-04 with ultimately 5 votes in favour: Kate Chapman, Martijn van Exel, Mikel Maron, Paul Norman, Ilya Zverev
Abstained 2: Frederik Ramm, Peter Barth

2018/Res2 Accept trademark policy from LWG

2018/Res2: Accept trademark policy from Licensing Working Group
Accept the revised trademark policy. The proposed subcommittee structure and local group domain names are separate proposals.

The Licensing Working Group (LWG) has considered the feedback to our initial request to approve the trademark policy and has made corresponding changes to the document (list of changes).

The last item in the proposed policy FAQ -to accept offering that service- was decided on circular 2018/Res3.

Accepted 2018-01-07 with ultimately 5 votes in favour: Kate Chapman, Frederik Ramm, Mikel Maron, Paul Norman, Peter Barth
Abstained 2: Martijn van Exel (away), Heather Leson (away and no access to Loomio)

2018/Res3 Accept proposed trademark license subcommittee structure

2018/Res3: Accept proposed trademark license subcommittee structure
The LWG suggests a common subcommittee with two members of the LWG and one board member should decide on licence requests that are covered by the policy, with the understanding that the subcommittee would have the authority to grant licences in the "quick licence" (aka licence application for which we have a form template) framework licences grants that are of a bespoke nature would be processed by the full LWG and potentially escalated to the OSMF board.
  • Licence grant refusals can be appealed to the OSMF board.
  • Licence grants will be publicly documented in an appropriate fashion.
Accepted 2018-01-07 with ultimately 3 votes in favour: Frederik Ramm, Mikel Maron, Paul Norman
Abstained 5: Kate Chapman, Martijn van Exel, Peter Barth, Heather Leson (away and no access to Loomio)

2018/Res4 Offer to register domain names for informal local groups

2018/Res4 Offer to register domain names for informal local group
As proposed:

"To support informal local users groups and to keep things simple, the OSMF offers to register the domain for your group and to point it at the groups website as long as the terms of the trademark policy are followed and this can be done without causing conflicts with other user groups."

This is for local group, not Local Chapters. This would avoid the situation where a domain using the OSM mark gets reused for a non-OSM purpose, or a domain becomes inactive and grabbed by an advertising company.

Accepted 2018-01-07 with ultimately 5 votes in favour: Kate Chapman, Frederik Ramm, Mikel Maron, Paul Norman, Peter Barth
Abstained 2: Martijn van Exel (away), Heather Leson (away and no access to Loomio)

Previous action items

The list is sortable and items that were assigned to two persons appear twice.

Name Date Action item and status
All 2017-11-16 In 2018 send an email to members, months in advance of the Annual General Meeting, encouraging them to discuss and perhaps propose their own resolutions.
All 2017-10-26 to go back to the State of the Map Working Group about what a statement regarding the SotM policy might look like. (done)
# If a reply takes longer than anticipated the announcement might have to be made anyway, as timing is crucial. # Update 201801: The SotM WG will not continue to take the SotM policy on. Mikel will probably take this up and make a revision, and get input from all the stakeholders (SotM WG, local SotMs, etc), then bring back to Board for sign off.
Frederik/Paul 2016-05-28 to prepare transparency document from transparency session
Ilya 2016-08-19 to look at implementing means for members to view the membership register
# Got key from Tom for accessing the server. Administrative work done, programming not yet.
Kate/Paul 2017-09-21 to write to F. Davey and see if he's still available to offer legal advice regarding conflicts of interest
Kate 2017-08-24 to write to the Advisory Board list about microgrants
Kate 2017-08-24 to contact Michael about closing inactive mailing lists that she is an admin of
Kate/Martijn 2016-05-28 to draft diversity policy
# No progress to report. Low priority.
Martijn 2017-11-16 to create the draft of the microgrants policy, separating it from the attempted combined draft with the updated travel policy
Martijn 2017-11-16 to schedule a working session about the Welcome Mat.
Martijn 2017-10-26 to raise the question to the Advisory Board about whether they would like to have an archive of the AB mailing list.
# Martijn will prepare a brief orientation document for the AB and will ask then.
Martijn 2017-07-18 to look at the process of regular reporting by the Local Chapters to the board and vice versa.
Martijn/Kate 2016-05-28 to draft diversity policy
# No progress to report. Low priority.
Martijn 2017-11-16 to work with the Communication Working Group on a blog post about the new hardware and the grant.
# Done (blogpost)
Martijn 2017-11-16 to send email to people with memberships in arrears or soon to expire, to renew them as soon as possible.
# Done
Martijn 2017-11-16 to check the dates that candidates for the board have joined the OSMF.
# Done
Mikel 2017-10-26 to check with Rob about the State of the Map 2018 lead
# Done
Mikel 2017-08-24 to send email on the list to find businesses that would like to offer input on the Welcome Mat
Mikel 2016-08-19 to send round bullet points on diversity policy proposal
Paul/Kate 2017-09-21 to write to F. Davey and see if he's still available to offer legal advice regarding conflicts of interest
Paul 2017-02-21 to separate the State of the Map (SotM) net profit discussion items and start the follow-up discussions
Paul 2016-10-28 to create a page on the wiki, listing software products which are used by OSMF and are closed-source and/or are externally hosted
# Was Peter's
Paul/Frederik 2016-05-28 to prepare transparency document from transparency session
Peter 2017-04-18 to make a list of requirements for email self-hosting and discuss them with the Operations Working Group

Welcome Heather

Heather Leson is our new board member. Welcome!

Selection of Officers

Selection of Chairperson, Treasurer and Secretary.

Prioritising 2018

Prioritising 2018 tasks. Some ongoing and potential tasks are listed on the 2017 overview.

Membership fee waiver program

The Membership Working Group (MWG) has asked the board to consider this draft membership fee waiver program for approval.
Lead: Kate

2018 Face to Face meeting

Potential Board F2F meeting in 2018.

Related: Summary of 2017 F2F meeting

Lead: Kate

Taking a stand

Taking a stand against people publicly bad-mouthing the OSM project, OSM community, or OSMF as "racist", "sexist", "unsafe place".
Lead: Frederik

Budget 2018

Frederik created a draft budget based on input from the Working Groups and some figures from experience.
Lead: Frederik

Restart osmf-announce and post regular reporting

The osmf-talk mailing list had a lot of traffic prior to the board election. Proposal to reinvigorate the osmf-announce mailing list, where the board can simply update members, and push important announcements. Steps that could be taken to get this list started again:
  • Identify new list maintainers (currently Mike Collinson and Henk)
  • Membership Working Group (MWG) to bring subscribers current to OSMF membership levels
  • MWG to regular subscribe / unsubscribe new members / leaving members
  • Announce restart of this low volume list (osmf-talk, blog)

Announcements could include:

  • Periodic reporting on activities in OSMF / OSM
  • Calendar announcements of Board meetings and Working Group meetings
  • Election period announcements
  • State of the Map(s) announcements
  • Donation drive
  • Volunteer drive

Related discussions: Jul 2017 (LCs & board), Mar 2017 (WGs & board), Feb 2017 (WGs & board)

Lead: Mikel

Quorum on circular resolutions

Circular resolutions are board resolutions on time-sensitive issues agreed prior to a board meeting.

The Articles of Association currently stipulate a quorum of two: "87. The Board may meet together for the dispatch of business, adjourn and otherwise regulate their meetings as they think fit, and determine the quorum necessary for the transaction of business. Unless otherwise determined, two shall be a quorum. Questions arising at any meeting shall be decided by a majority of votes. In case of an equality of votes the Chairman shall have a second or casting vote."

The circulars' procedure might also be discussed.


Directed Editing Policy

There is an increased interest on OSM from corporations who have employees that edit in their daytime. This might create communication problems between paid and volunteer mappers, or even an imbalance of power. Out of this situation the question arises on how to regulate this to ensure fair play. The board had asked the Data Working Group (DWG) to work on a corporate editing policy, in a manner that it has sufficient community input, and before anything is decided to come back to the board.

Related board discussions: July 2017, June 2017, April 2017

Lead: Frederik

State of the Map Policy

The State of the Map (SotM) conference is the annual, international conference of OpenStreetMap and it is organised by the SotM Working Group of the OpenStreetMap Foundation. Regional SotM conferences (such as SotM-Asia, SotM-Africa, SotM-LatAm) are organised exclusively by local teams, which run their own sponsorship programs and have separate budgets from the OSM Foundation.

This distinction is not always clear, sometimes creating confusion (for example, sponsors of regional SotM events mistakenly sending emails to the OSMF SotM Working Group). Additionally, there could be occasions where the regional SotM event dates might clash with the dates of the international SotM and there is the danger that the name "State of the Map" might be used by a corporate player for an unrelated event.

To avoid these problems, a document or policy with a very lean set of rules for anyone interested to organise an event and call it "State of the Map" will be created.

Related board discussion: Oct 2017
Related policy: LWG trademark policy.

Lead: Mikel

Board representative on the trademark license subcommittee

The board has accepted the LWG proposed trademark license subcommittee structure with two members of the Licensing Working Group and one board member. Discussion about who the board representative will be.
Lead: Paul

Large Bitcoin donations

We recently received a large donation of 18 Bitcoins - currently worth over €200,000 - from the Pineapple Fund! Two weeks ago we also received over 2.3 BTCs - worth €30,000 (£27,000) - from another anonymous donor.

Thanks to both for supporting OpenStreetMap!

Read more here. The 2.3 Bitcoins have already been cashed out (tweet, osmf-talk) and we are in the process of cashing out the 18 BTCs as well. See BTC transactions here.

Belgium Local Chapter application

OpenStreetMap Belgium has applied to become the OSMF Local Chapter for Belgium. All necessary documents and translations have been received.

Related discussion: Sep 2017

Dorothea's contract 2018

Dorothea's contract is up in March. We need to make a decision to extend it for a year (or some other period) and any terms that may need changing, if any. We invite feedback from members, either on osmf-talk or at board@osmfoundation.org.

Past discussions: Mar 2017 (closed portion), Apr 2017 (Voting - closed portion)

Lead: Martijn

Any other business

Next meeting

Meetings now take place on the 3rd Thursday of the month, at 21:00 London time, unless rescheduled.

The next monthly board meeting will be on the 15th of February, at 21:00 London time.

Meeting end