Board/Minutes/2018-01-18

The meeting was adjourned until Thursday, 25th of January 2018, at 21:00 London time. The 2018-01-25 draft minutes are here.

Draft Minutes
Location: Mumble, Thursday 2018-01-18, 21:00 London time

Participants

Board members

  • Kate Chapman (chairperson)
  • Frederik Ramm
  • Heather Leson
  • Martijn van Exel
  • Mikel Maron
  • Paul Norman
  • Peter Barth

Guests

Open to all OSMF members.

12 guests, including one unidentified entity :)

Guests are welcome to speak at the end of the meeting on the topics that have been discussed. Please note that text messages sent on Mumble chat may not be seen by people who join using mobile apps.

Not Present

Administrative

Previous minutes

Circular Resolutions

2018/Res1 Accept German LC application

2018/Res1: Accept German LC application
OpenStreetMap Deutschland/FOSSGIS has applied to become the OSMF Local Chapter for Germany.
Accepted 2017-12-04 with ultimately 5 votes in favour: Kate Chapman, Martijn van Exel, Mikel Maron, Paul Norman, Ilya Zverev
Not voted 2: Frederik Ramm (abstained), Peter Barth (abstained)

2018/Res2 Accept trademark policy from LWG

2018/Res2: Accept trademark policy from Licensing Working Group
Accept the revised trademark policy. The proposed subcommittee structure and local group domain names are separate proposals.

The Licensing Working Group (LWG) has considered the feedback to our initial request to approve the trademark policy and has made corresponding changes to the document (list of changes).

The last item in the proposed policy FAQ -to accept offering that service- was decided on circular 2018/Res4.

Accepted 2018-01-07 with ultimately 5 votes in favour: Kate Chapman, Frederik Ramm, Mikel Maron, Paul Norman, Peter Barth
Not voted 2: Martijn van Exel (away), Heather Leson (away and no access to Loomio)

2018/Res3 Accept proposed trademark license subcommittee structure

2018/Res3: Accept proposed trademark license subcommittee structure
The LWG suggests a common subcommittee with two members of the LWG and one board member should decide on licence requests that are covered by the policy, with the understanding that the subcommittee would have the authority to grant licences in the "quick licence" (aka licence application for which we have a form template) framework licences grants that are of a bespoke nature would be processed by the full LWG and potentially escalated to the OSMF board.
  • Licence grant refusals can be appealed to the OSMF board.
  • Licence grants will be publicly documented in an appropriate fashion.
Accepted 2018-01-07 with ultimately 3 votes in favour: Frederik Ramm, Mikel Maron, Paul Norman
Not voted 4: Kate Chapman (indecisive), Martijn van Exel (away), Peter Barth (indecisive), Heather Leson (away and no access to Loomio)

2018/Res4 Offer to register domain names for informal local groups

2018/Res4 Offer to register domain names for informal local group
As proposed:

"To support informal local users groups and to keep things simple, the OSMF offers to register the domain for your group and to point it at the groups website as long as the terms of the trademark policy are followed and this can be done without causing conflicts with other user groups."

This is for local group, not Local Chapters. This would avoid the situation where a domain using the OSM mark gets reused for a non-OSM purpose, or a domain becomes inactive and grabbed by an advertising company.

Accepted 2018-01-07 with ultimately 5 votes in favour: Kate Chapman, Frederik Ramm, Mikel Maron, Paul Norman, Peter Barth
Not voted 2: Martijn van Exel (away), Heather Leson (away and no access to Loomio)

Previous action items

The list is sortable and items that were assigned to two persons appear twice.

Name Date Action item and status
All 2017-11-16 In 2018 send an email to members, months in advance of the Annual General Meeting, encouraging them to discuss and perhaps propose their own resolutions.
All 2017-10-26 to go back to the State of the Map Working Group about what a statement regarding the SotM policy might look like. (done)
# If a reply takes longer than anticipated the announcement might have to be made anyway, as timing is crucial. # Update 201801: The SotM WG will not continue to take the SotM policy on. Mikel will probably take this up and make a revision, and get input from all the stakeholders (SotM WG, local SotMs, etc), then bring back to Board for sign off.
Frederik/Paul 2016-05-28 to prepare transparency document from transparency session
Ilya 2016-08-19 to look at implementing means for members to view the membership register
# Got key from Tom for accessing the server. Administrative work done, programming not yet.
Kate/Paul 2017-09-21 to write to F. Davey and see if he's still available to offer legal advice regarding conflicts of interest
# Done
Kate 2017-08-24 to write to the Advisory Board list about microgrants
Kate 2017-08-24 to contact Michael about closing inactive mailing lists that she is an admin of
Kate/Martijn 2016-05-28 to draft diversity policy
# No progress to report. Low priority.
Martijn 2017-11-16 to create the draft of the microgrants policy, separating it from the attempted combined draft with the updated travel policy
Martijn 2017-10-26 to raise the question to the Advisory Board about whether they would like to have an archive of the AB mailing list.
# Martijn will prepare a brief orientation document for the AB and will ask then.
Martijn 2017-07-18 to look at the process of regular reporting by the Local Chapters to the board and vice versa.
Martijn/Kate 2016-05-28 to draft diversity policy
# No progress to report. Low priority.
Martijn 2017-11-16 to work with the Communication Working Group on a blog post about the new hardware and the grant.
# Done (blogpost)
Martijn 2017-11-16 to send email to people with memberships in arrears or soon to expire, to renew them as soon as possible.
# Done
Martijn 2017-11-16 to check the dates that candidates for the board have joined the OSMF.
# Done
Martijn 2017-11-16 to schedule a working session about the Welcome Mat.
# Done (by Mikel)
Mikel 2017-10-26 to check with Rob about the State of the Map 2018 lead
# Done
Mikel 2017-08-24 to send email on the list to find businesses that would like to offer input on the Welcome Mat
Mikel 2016-08-19 to send round bullet points on diversity policy proposal
Paul/Kate 2017-09-21 to write to F. Davey and see if he's still available to offer legal advice regarding conflicts of interest
# Done
Paul 2017-02-21 to separate the State of the Map (SotM) net profit discussion items and start the follow-up discussions
Paul 2016-10-28 to create a page on the wiki, listing software products which are used by OSMF and are closed-source and/or are externally hosted
# Was Peter's
Paul/Frederik 2016-05-28 to prepare transparency document from transparency session
Peter 2017-04-18 to make a list of requirements for email self-hosting and discuss them with the Operations Working Group
Topics: Welcome Heather | Officers' selection | Action item updates | Memb. Fee Waiver program | F2F 2018 | Restart osmf-announce | Taking a stand | Budget

Welcome Heather

Heather Leson is our new board member. Welcome!
Topics: Welcome Heather | Officers' selection | Action item updates | Memb. Fee Waiver program | F2F 2018 | Restart osmf-announce | Taking a stand | Budget

Selection of Officers

Selection of Chairperson, Treasurer and Secretary.

Voting

Chairperson: Kate Chapman (only candidate)
Kate was unanimously elected.

Treasurer: Frederik Ramm (only candidate)
Frederik was unanimously elected.

Secretary: Martijn van Exel (Candidates: Paul Norman and Martijn van Exel)
Martijn was elected with ultimately 5 votes in favour: Kate, Mikel, Heather, Frederik and Martijn
Paul was voted by 2: Peter and Paul

Topics: Welcome Heather | Officers' selection | Action item updates | Memb. Fee Waiver program | F2F 2018 | Restart osmf-announce | Taking a stand | Budget

Action item updates

2018-01-18 Kate to email F. Davey about Conflict of Interest advice and cc Paul

Topics: Welcome Heather | Officers' selection | Action item updates | Memb. Fee Waiver program | F2F 2018 | Restart osmf-announce | Taking a stand | Budget

Membership fee waiver program

The Membership Working Group (MWG) has asked the board to consider this draft membership fee waiver program for approval.
Lead: Kate
  • Some people found parts of the text confusing.
  • The board might approach the MWG at a later date with suggested minor changes (e.g. adding a cap on the amount of waivers).
  • The program currently does not cover inability to pay due to financial circumstances, only due to technical issues (no Paypal/bank account).
  • There might be a major rewrite of the text by the MWG in the future.

Voting

Motion to accept the draft membership fee waiver program submitted by the Membership Working Group.
The Board authorises the Membership Working Group to either put the proposed membership fee waiver program into immediate practice or make minor changes to the wording if they consider it necessary. If major changes are needed, the board asks the MWG to send the updated version for consideration.
Accepted with ultimately 7 votes in favour

Action item: Paul to communicate the acceptance of the proposed membership fee waiver program to the MWG.

Topics: Welcome Heather | Officers' selection | Action item updates | Memb. Fee Waiver program | F2F 2018 | Restart osmf-announce | Taking a stand | Budget

2018 Face to Face meeting

Potential Board F2F meeting in 2018.

Related: Summary of 2017 F2F meeting

Lead: Kate

(some points have been reordered)

Suggestions

  • have a meeting & earlier rather than later.
  • have a specific deliverable at the end of the meeting.
  • maybe make the F2F a tradition, so future boards don't have to decide about it every year.

Question about what the board wants to accomplish, as some proposals from the previous F2F meeting were unaccomplished. Answers:

  • Work on details of ideas laid last year (Microgrants, Welcome mat).
  • The Foundation is at a different position than last year (success of Corporate Membership program, donations). Review where we are as a Foundation and community.
  • Renewed enthusiasm.

Facilitation

  • First year was a lot of work and we had external facilitator
  • Last year was easier - facilitation by Mikel
  • Up to discussion

Potential locations (previous: Amsterdam)

  • Munich
  • Karlsruhe
  • Bonn (end of March)
  • Toronto

Timing

  • Suggestions: March, April
  • Earlier is better, in order to have the rest of the year to work on what has been decided
  • May is prohibitive for one board member
  • Easter: April 1, orthodox - April 8
  • Facilitation, location and timing will be discussed offline.
  • Kate offered to take the lead and Heather is happy to assist.

Action item: Dorothea to create Doodle mid March to end of April, keeping in mind the Easter holidays. # (done)

Topics: Welcome Heather | Officers' selection | Action item updates | Memb. Fee Waiver program | F2F 2018 | Restart osmf-announce | Taking a stand | Budget

Restart osmf-announce and post regular reporting

The osmf-talk mailing list had a lot of traffic prior to the board election. Proposal to reinvigorate the osmf-announce mailing list, where the board can simply update members, and push important announcements. Steps that could be taken to get this list started again:
  • Identify new list maintainers (currently Mike Collinson and Henk)
  • Membership Working Group (MWG) to bring subscribers current to OSMF membership levels
  • MWG to regular subscribe / unsubscribe new members / leaving members
  • Announce restart of this low volume list (osmf-talk, blog)

Announcements could include:

  • Periodic reporting on activities in OSMF / OSM
  • Calendar announcements of Board meetings and Working Group meetings
  • Election period announcements
  • State of the Map(s) announcements
  • Donation drive
  • Volunteer drive

Related discussions: Jul 2017 (LCs & board), Mar 2017 (WGs & board), Feb 2017 (WGs & board)

Lead: Mikel

Proposal:

  • Reinstate the list.
  • Get it in sync with osmf-membership with the help of the MWG.
  • Regular practice of posting there announcements related to the Foundation.
  • Dorothea can help.

Discussion about direct democracy case: members wanting to announce a petition to have a meeting about a resolution that the board opposes to.

  • The board should not be at a privileged position in terms of being able to get stuff out to the membership.
  • The board is accountable for things that are not announced.
  • Suggestion to have someone, in the long run, whose position is to represent or coordinate member interactions, who is not in the board & is not dependent on the board.

osmf-talk and osmf-announce

  • osmf-talk should stay as it is.
  • members will be automatically subscribed to both lists when they sign-up and can choose whether they want to participate or unsubscribe - this should be clear to them.

osmf-announce

  • Is a read-only list.
  • Was not further used when announcements started to be made via CiviCRM - which is tied to our membership database.
  • Was used only for formal announcements (e.g. AGM).

Action item: Mikel to make sure the osmf-announce list is restarted - with help from Martijn, Paul and the MWG.

Topics: Welcome Heather | Officers' selection | Action item updates | Memb. Fee Waiver program | F2F 2018 | Restart osmf-announce | Taking a stand | Budget

Taking a stand

Taking a stand against people publicly bad-mouthing the OSM project, OSM community, or OSMF as "racist", "sexist", "unsafe place".
Lead: Frederik

Thesis

  • This is a great project
  • The overwhelming majority of people are good and nice
  • We want to encourage good behaviour
  • We should reaffirm members and OSMers and say "we stand behind you" and defend the project against broad accusations
  • If there are isolated cases of people behaving badly, there are no more than in other online communities. These cases should be reported on the appropriate reporting body and we have to investigate.

Current situation

  • There are etiquette guidelines already in place.
  • There are reporting paths in place.

Suggestions

  • Make a clear statement that we stand behind the nice people that make OSM such a great project.
  • Clarify the reporting method which people should use when they encounter exceptional cases.
  • Read resources by other communities.
  • Involve the community in the next steps and work with the MWG and the CWG.

Other points mentioned during discussion

  • The comment that prompted this discussion was on a non-OSMF controlled channel (Twitter) by a community member.
  • There is no point in contacting Twitter.
  • Everyone on OSM loves the project at heart - despite this, it's easy for miscommunication and disagreements to come up.
  • The main issue is how to respond when the project is attacked, not to fight individuals.

Action item: Kate to take the lead on updating the etiquette and add a reporting plan.

Topics: Welcome Heather | Officers' selection | Action item updates | Memb. Fee Waiver program | F2F 2018 | Restart osmf-announce | Taking a stand | Budget

Budget 2018

Frederik created a draft budget based on input from the Working Groups and some figures from experience.

Related: Treasurer's report for 2017

Lead: Frederik
  • A draft budget was sent to board members before the two big bitcoin donations.
  • It included a 30K planned donation drive, which now might not work due to the donations.
  • The Licensing Working Group sent a slightly different budget request than planned.

Suggestion: decide on the proposed budget and keep the discussion about the bitcoin donations separate.

  • The budget should go out soon, so that the Working Groups can start spending money.
  • The budget should have been done last year.

Voting

Decision: The budget was unanimously approved.
Topics: Welcome Heather | Officers' selection | Action item updates | Memb. Fee Waiver program | F2F 2018 | Restart osmf-announce | Taking a stand | Budget

Meeting adjourned

The meeting was adjourned until Thursday, 25th of January 2018, at 21:00 London time.
The 2018-01-25 draft minutes are here.