Difference between revisions of "Board/Minutes/2018-02-15"

From OpenStreetMap Foundation
m (+ Action item)
(Addition of topics)
Line 1: Line 1:
<font color="red">Draft Page</font>
+
<font color="red">Draft Agenda</font>
 
<br/>
 
<br/>
 
Location: [https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mumble Mumble], '''Thursday''' 2018-02-15 at [https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=February+2018+board+meeting+&iso=20180215T21&p1=136&ah=1 21:00 London time]
 
Location: [https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mumble Mumble], '''Thursday''' 2018-02-15 at [https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=February+2018+board+meeting+&iso=20180215T21&p1=136&ah=1 21:00 London time]
Line 27: Line 27:
 
=== Previous action items ===
 
=== Previous action items ===
   
''The list is sortable and items that were assigned to two persons appear twice.''
+
''The list is sortable and collapsible and items that were assigned to two persons appear twice.''
   
{| class="wikitable sortable"
+
{| class="wikitable mw-collapsible sortable"
 
! Name
 
! Name
 
! Date
 
! Date
Line 88: Line 88:
 
| Martijn
 
| Martijn
 
| 2018-01-25
 
| 2018-01-25
| [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2018-01-25#Dorothea.27s_contract_2018 to ask] the Working Groups if they would like administrative assistance.
+
| [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2018-01-25#Dorothea.27s_contract_2018 to ask] the Working Groups if they would like administrative assistance
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Martijn
 
| Martijn
Line 152: Line 152:
 
|}
 
|}
   
== Topics to be added ==
 
  +
== openstreetmap.org added to Easylist ==
  +
  +
{| class="wikitable"
  +
|-
  +
|
  +
* ''Openstreetmap.org occasionally displays banners that announce our own community conferences and events.''
  +
* ''Recently openstreetmap.org was [https://github.com/easylist/easylist/commit/b5c76ea17e12b95c711ce512c2389795fc853bd0 added] to [https://easylist.to/ EasyList], which is a source for popular ad blockers, including uBlock Origin and AdBlock Plus. That means that anyone visiting openstreetmap.org and using an ad-blocker that utilises Easylist, won't be able to see the banners promoting our events, unless s/he explicitly whitelists our site on their ad-blocker.''
  +
* ''Two pull requests have been created by [https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Firefishy Firefishy] on the Easylist Github account: [https://github.com/easylist/easylist/pull/900 900] (closed) and [https://github.com/easylist/easylist/pull/906 906] (currently open) to allow OpenStreetMap.org events self-promotion.''
  +
|-
  +
| ''Lead: Peter''
  +
|}
  +
  +
== Accepting Liberapay Donations ==
  +
  +
{| class="wikitable"
  +
|-
  +
|
  +
''[https://en.liberapay.com Liberapay] is a non-profit microdonation provider that allows its users to recurrently donate money to projects and people (like Flattr). It seems that they have scraped all organisations from Github and are now soliciting donations for them. People using Liberapay can indicate that they want to recurrently donate to an organisation - however they are not charged, until the organisation signs up. The OpenStreetMap Foundation has not signed up. Liberapay has emailed the board, stating that there are people using their platform that want to recurrently donate to the OSMF.''
  +
|-
  +
| ''Lead: Frederik''
  +
|}
  +
  +
== General Data Protection Regulation ==
  +
  +
{| class="wikitable"
  +
|-
  +
|
  +
''The [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Data_Protection_Regulation General Data Protection Regulation] will come into effect May 26, 2018. The [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Licensing_Working_Group Licensing Working Group] is working on a [https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EjccQNm3awl7eQlk1jGYyoGJVavJG_bEfX8iCMEuC9U/ document] with a set of recommendations.''
  +
  +
''Related LWG discussions: [https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LoPP65QymwX2hmD8iQh5XTFMyOK9pDA60zDo5z0Eq_c/ Feb 2018], [https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LLL-XVCvdqY7QjAElNyakE0i2DqRYC66vsqAn6KyqmA/ Nov 2017], [https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rnNgRe_-cTc4WIcChdcYoc0Ksa_dAqOoDIa9NURnGvI/ Sep 2017], [https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k7vuGOyb2vhEDu-j1821phzXPPtcqIppfYHvjQeG8hY/ July 2017]''
  +
|-
  +
| ''Lead: Heather''
  +
|}
  +
  +
== OSMF Data Center ==
  +
  +
{| class="wikitable"
  +
|-
  +
|
  +
''A Request for Proposals to provision space in a data centre to continue to run the OpenStreetMap project's infrastructure will be circulated soon. Hosting is mainly supported by [https://www.imperial.ac.uk/ Imperial College], [https://www.ucl.ac.uk/ University College London] and [https://www.bytemark.co.uk/ Bytemark] - of the 3 data centers, the IC one has been our primary data center for many years. IC currently wants to reclaim the space for offices so the [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Operations_Working_Group Operations Working Group] (OWG) has drafted an RFP document that was shared with the board.''<br>
  +
  +
''The proposed Request for Proposals sets out the requirements for a new data centre, and should ensure that we have the space, power, cooling and access we '' ''need to keep the site running. It also makes sure we have a well-documented, fair process which will result in a formal relationship with the new provider. If finding a new provider turns unsuccessful, alternatives have been proposed by the OWG.''
  +
  +
''Related OWG discussion: [https://operations.osmfoundation.org/files/OWG_Summary_2017-12-11.pdf Dec 2017]''
  +
|-
  +
| ''Lead: Kate''
  +
|}
  +
  +
== Face to Face Meeting 2018 - logistics ==
  +
  +
{| class="wikitable"
  +
|-
  +
|''The Board will have a face to face meeting in 2018 (April 28-29, Karlsruhe).''<br><br>
  +
  +
''Related discussion: [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2018-01-18#2018_Face_to_Face_meeting Jan 2018]''
  +
|-
  +
| ''Lead: Frederik''
  +
|}
  +
  +
== State of the Map Policy ==
  +
  +
{| class="wikitable"
  +
|-
  +
|
  +
<br>''The [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/StateoftheMap_Organizing_Committee State of the Map Organising Committee] is working on a policy related to the organisation of events that want to be named "State of the Map". The policy could cover areas such as trademark use, best practices and others. Anyone who is interested to organise an event past 2018 and wants to call it "State of the Map" will be kindly asked to contact the Foundation first to get the agreement in the use of the name.'' <br><br>
  +
''Advantages to organisers: Approval of the event ahead of time will allow for maximum exposure of the event through the website and though the other communication channels (blog/social media accounts). ''
  +
  +
''Related board discussions: [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2018-01-25#State_of_the_Map_Policy Jan 2018],[https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2017-10-26#State_of_the_Map_policy Oct 2017]'' <br>
  +
''Related policy: [https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Trademark_Policy LWG trademark policy].''<br>
  +
|-
  +
|''Lead: Mikel''
  +
|}
  +
  +
== Dorothea's contract 2018 ==
  +
{| class="wikitable"
  +
|-
  +
|''[https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Doro8ea/diary/42918 Dorothea]'s contract is up in March. We need to make a decision to extend it for a year (or some other period) and any terms that may need changing, if any.
  +
  +
''Related discussions: [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2018-01-25#Dorothea.27s_contract_2018 Jan 2018], [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2017-03-21#Admin._Assistant.27s_contract Mar 2017] (closed portion), [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2017-04-18#Voting_on_Administrative_Assistant.27s_contract Apr 2017] (Voting - closed portion) ''
  +
|-
  +
| ''Lead: Martijn''
  +
|}
  +
  +
== Advisory Board - monthly update ==
  +
{| class="wikitable"
  +
|-
  +
|''The'' ''[https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Advisory_Board Advisory Board]'' ''(AB) is an entity separate from the OSMF board of directors, composed of individuals - either nominated by corporate members of the OSMF or invited directly by the OSMF board of directors. The OSMF Board of Directors [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2017-01-17#Transparency will publicly minute], in the board meeting minutes, any communication sent to, or received from, the AB. This monthly section is reserved for this purpose. ''<br><br>
  +
  +
''Related discussions: <br> 2018 [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2018-01-25#Advisory_Board_-_monthly_update Jan], <br> 2017 [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2017-10-26#Advisory_Board_on-boarding Oct], [https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2017/06/27/summary-of-boards-face-to-face-meeting/ May] (F2F), [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2017-04-18#Advisory_Board_.28Update.29 Apr], [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2017-03-21#Advisory_Board Mar], [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2017-02-21#Advisory_Board_-_Update Feb], [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2017-01-17#Setting_up_the_Advisory_Board Jan]''
  +
|-
  +
| ''Lead: Martijn''
  +
|}
   
 
== Any other business ==
 
== Any other business ==

Revision as of 17:29, 14 February 2018

Draft Agenda
Location: Mumble, Thursday 2018-02-15 at 21:00 London time

Participants

Board members

Guests

Open to all OSMF members.

Guests are welcome to speak at the end of the meeting on the topics that have been discussed. Please note that text messages sent on Mumble chat may not be seen by people who join using mobile apps.

Not Present

Administrative

Previous minutes

Circular Resolutions

None

Previous action items

The list is sortable and collapsible and items that were assigned to two persons appear twice.

Name Date Action item and status
All 2018-01-25 Update board member biographies on the OSMF wiki
All 2017-11-16 In 2018 send an email to members, months in advance of the Annual General Meeting, encouraging them to discuss and perhaps propose their own resolutions.
Frederik/Paul 2016-05-28 to prepare transparency document from transparency session
Heather 2018-01-25 to talk to Paul and get more details about the board representative on the trademark license subcommittee and then contact the Licensing Working Group, if required.
Ilya 2016-08-19 to look at implementing means for members to view the membership register
# Got key from Tom for accessing the server. Administrative work done, programming not yet.
Kate 2018-01-18 to initiate discussion about 2018 priorities over email.
Kate 2018-01-18 to update the etiquette and add a reporting plan
Kate 2018-01-18 to email F. Davey about Conflict of Interest advice and cc Paul
Kate 2017-08-24 to write to the Advisory Board list about microgrants
Kate 2017-08-24 to contact Michael about closing inactive mailing lists that she is an admin of
Kate/Martijn 2016-05-28 to draft diversity policy
# No progress to report. Low priority.
Martijn 2018-01-25 to review the submitted documents of the OSM Belgium Local Chapter application.
Martijn 2018-01-25 to initiate the local community and membership consultations regarding the OSM Belgium Local Chapter application.
Martijn 2018-01-25 to ask the Working Groups if they would like administrative assistance
Martijn 2018-01-25 to send the thank you email to Pine for the large Bitcoin donation
Martijn 2017-11-16 to create the draft of the microgrants policy, separating it from the attempted combined draft with the updated travel policy
Martijn 2017-10-26 to raise the question to the Advisory Board about whether they would like to have an archive of the AB mailing list.
# Martijn will prepare a brief orientation document for the AB and will ask then.
Martijn 2017-07-18 to look at the process of regular reporting by the Local Chapters to the board and vice versa.
Martijn/Kate 2016-05-28 to draft diversity policy
# No progress to report. Low priority.
Mikel 2018-01-25 Mikel to work on potential updates on the circulars' procedure to vote on.
Mikel 2018-01-25 to go back to the State of the Map Working Group with the board's suggestion to consult and work with local SotM organising teams on the SotM policy.
Mikel 2018-01-18 to make sure the osmf-announce read-only mailing list is restarted - with help from Martijn, Paul & the MWG.
Mikel 2017-08-24 to send email on the list to find businesses that would like to offer input on the Welcome Mat
Mikel 2016-08-19 to send round bullet points on diversity policy proposal
Paul 2018-01-18 to communicate the acceptance of the proposed membership fee waiver program to the MWG
Paul 2017-02-21 to separate the State of the Map (SotM) net profit discussion items and start the follow-up discussions
Paul 2016-10-28 to create a page on the wiki, listing software products which are used by OSMF and are closed-source and/or are externally hosted
# Was Peter's
Paul/Frederik 2016-05-28 to prepare transparency document from transparency session
Peter 2017-04-18 to make a list of requirements for email self-hosting and discuss them with the Operations Working Group

openstreetmap.org added to Easylist

  • Openstreetmap.org occasionally displays banners that announce our own community conferences and events.
  • Recently openstreetmap.org was added to EasyList, which is a source for popular ad blockers, including uBlock Origin and AdBlock Plus. That means that anyone visiting openstreetmap.org and using an ad-blocker that utilises Easylist, won't be able to see the banners promoting our events, unless s/he explicitly whitelists our site on their ad-blocker.
  • Two pull requests have been created by Firefishy on the Easylist Github account: 900 (closed) and 906 (currently open) to allow OpenStreetMap.org events self-promotion.
Lead: Peter

Accepting Liberapay Donations

Liberapay is a non-profit microdonation provider that allows its users to recurrently donate money to projects and people (like Flattr). It seems that they have scraped all organisations from Github and are now soliciting donations for them. People using Liberapay can indicate that they want to recurrently donate to an organisation - however they are not charged, until the organisation signs up. The OpenStreetMap Foundation has not signed up. Liberapay has emailed the board, stating that there are people using their platform that want to recurrently donate to the OSMF.

Lead: Frederik

General Data Protection Regulation

The General Data Protection Regulation will come into effect May 26, 2018. The Licensing Working Group is working on a document with a set of recommendations.

Related LWG discussions: Feb 2018, Nov 2017, Sep 2017, July 2017

Lead: Heather

OSMF Data Center

A Request for Proposals to provision space in a data centre to continue to run the OpenStreetMap project's infrastructure will be circulated soon. Hosting is mainly supported by Imperial College, University College London and Bytemark - of the 3 data centers, the IC one has been our primary data center for many years. IC currently wants to reclaim the space for offices so the Operations Working Group (OWG) has drafted an RFP document that was shared with the board.

The proposed Request for Proposals sets out the requirements for a new data centre, and should ensure that we have the space, power, cooling and access we need to keep the site running. It also makes sure we have a well-documented, fair process which will result in a formal relationship with the new provider. If finding a new provider turns unsuccessful, alternatives have been proposed by the OWG.

Related OWG discussion: Dec 2017

Lead: Kate

Face to Face Meeting 2018 - logistics

The Board will have a face to face meeting in 2018 (April 28-29, Karlsruhe).

Related discussion: Jan 2018

Lead: Frederik

State of the Map Policy


The State of the Map Organising Committee is working on a policy related to the organisation of events that want to be named "State of the Map". The policy could cover areas such as trademark use, best practices and others. Anyone who is interested to organise an event past 2018 and wants to call it "State of the Map" will be kindly asked to contact the Foundation first to get the agreement in the use of the name.

Advantages to organisers: Approval of the event ahead of time will allow for maximum exposure of the event through the website and though the other communication channels (blog/social media accounts).

Related board discussions: Jan 2018,Oct 2017
Related policy: LWG trademark policy.

Lead: Mikel

Dorothea's contract 2018

Dorothea's contract is up in March. We need to make a decision to extend it for a year (or some other period) and any terms that may need changing, if any.

Related discussions: Jan 2018, Mar 2017 (closed portion), Apr 2017 (Voting - closed portion)

Lead: Martijn

Advisory Board - monthly update

The Advisory Board (AB) is an entity separate from the OSMF board of directors, composed of individuals - either nominated by corporate members of the OSMF or invited directly by the OSMF board of directors. The OSMF Board of Directors will publicly minute, in the board meeting minutes, any communication sent to, or received from, the AB. This monthly section is reserved for this purpose.

Related discussions:
2018 Jan,
2017 Oct, May (F2F), Apr, Mar, Feb, Jan

Lead: Martijn

Any other business

Next meeting

Meetings now take place on the 3rd Thursday of the month, at 21:00 London time, unless rescheduled.

The next monthly board meeting will be on the 15th of March, at 21:00 London time, unless rescheduled.

Meeting end