From OpenStreetMap Foundation
Revision as of 20:10, 19 June 2018 by Dorothea (talk | contribs) (+ Unrecorded SotM sessions)

Draft Agenda
Location: Mumble, Thursday 21st of June, at 21:00 London time


Board members


Open to all OSMF members.

Guests are welcome to speak at the end of the meeting on the topics that have been discussed. Please note that text messages sent on Mumble chat may not be seen by people who join using mobile apps.

Not Present

  • Kate Chapman (Apologies)


Previous minutes

Circular Resolutions

2018/Res8 Authorize LWG to publish privacy statement

2018/Res8 Authorize LWG to publish privacy statement
The GDPR requires that we explain to users how, and on what legal grounds, we process their data. This means we’ll have to have a “privacy statement” on our public-facing pages. The Licensing Working Group has prepared a preliminary version which is still missing some concrete details about log file retention but is good to publish. Suggestion to authorize LWG to publish this version, and also future updates unless they make significant changes in which case they would be expected to show them to us first.
Unanimously accepted 2018-06-10

2018/Res9 Fund Dorothea's travel to SotM

2018/Res9 Fund Dorothea's travel to SotM
Proposal to fund Dorothea's travel to State of the Map 2018.
Accepted 2018-06-16 with ultimately 5 votes in favour: Frederik Ramm, Heather Leson, Kate Chapman, Martijn van Exel, Mikel Maron

Disagreed 2: Peter Barth, Paul Norman

Previous action items

The list is sortable and collapsible. Updates are in blue.

Name Date Action item and status
All 2018-05-24 to create a circular to vote on the stripped down version of the Privacy Policy
# Done
All 2018-05-24 to provide feedback on the draft with the modifications to the Board rules of Order, ideally before the 7th of June
All 2018-03-15 to send a reminder about etiquette guidelines on osmf-talk, talk & facebook page
All 2018-02-15 to clean-up the SotM draft policy document
All 2017-11-16 to send an email to members, months in advance of the 2018 Annual General Meeting, encouraging them to discuss and perhaps propose their own resolutions
Frederik 2018-04-19 to do a short writeup regarding the recent CiviCRM issues, which will be sent to experts who might be able to help
Frederik/Mikel 2018-03-15 to look at providing CiviCRM discount codes for State of the Map 2018. Will also look at how many people have already signed up and offer partial refund or suggest donation.
# 2018-04-20 Update: CiviDiscount has been fixed by Tom.
Frederik/Paul 2016-05-28 to prepare transparency document from transparency session
Kate 2018-02-15 to follow up with Grant about the technical workaround of having conference announcement banners on linked to landing pages on the website
Kate 2018-01-18 to initiate discussion about 2018 priorities over email
Kate 2018-01-18 to update the etiquette and add a reporting plan
Kate 2017-08-24 to write to the Advisory Board list about microgrants
Kate/Martijn 2016-05-28 to draft diversity policy
# No progress to report. Low priority.
Martijn 2017-11-16 to create the draft of the microgrants policy, separating it from the attempted combined draft with the updated travel policy
Martijn 2017-10-26 to raise the question to the Advisory Board about whether they would like to have an archive of the AB mailing list
# Martijn will prepare a brief orientation document for the AB and will ask then.
Martijn 2017-07-18 to look at the process of regular reporting by the Local Chapters to the board and vice versa
Mikel 2018-04-19 to handle emailing and getting quotes from CiviCRM experts, in relation to our recent CiviCRM issues
Mikel/Paul 2018-03-15 to look at the ten most active mailing lists and see if people listed as admins are active in the moderator role, what is in place, and how they manage the lists.
# 2018-05-24 Mikel drafted email and both agreed on some modifications
Mikel 2018-01-25 to work on potential updates on the circulars' procedure to vote on
# This is now linked to the 2018-05-24 Action Item about modifications to the Board Rules of Order
Mikel 2017-08-24 to send email on the list to find businesses that would like to offer input on the Welcome Mat
Mikel 2016-08-19 to send round bullet points on diversity policy proposal
Paul 2018-04-19 to document the evaluation process of software and services used by the OSMF. Related to our FOSS policy
Paul 2017-02-21 to separate the State of the Map (SotM) net profit discussion items and start the follow-up discussions
Paul 2016-10-28 to create a page on the wiki, listing software products which are used by OSMF and are closed-source and/or are externally hosted
# Was Peter's
Peter 2017-04-18 to make a list of requirements for email self-hosting and discuss them with the Operations Working Group

Action Item updates

Vote on changes to Board's Rules of Order

The board will vote on an update to the Board's Rules of Order. Major points of change:
  • Add rule about chairing working groups
  • Make clear who can observe and process around closed sessions
  • Clarify how we record votes
  • Adjust some process around circulars

Related discussion: Jul 2017

Lead: Mikel

FOSS policy compliance

The OSMF Free and Open Source Software Policy requires us to re-evaluate the use of hosted or closed-source software every two years with a view to changing to a FOSS solution if practical. The policy was devised to guide, but not mandate, software choices for work within the OpenStreetMap Foundation Board, Working Groups, and other OSMF bodies. Here are some examples of software choices made by the Board:
  • Mumble is a FOSS voice conversation tool. We use a server hosted by the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team.
  • Loomio is a FOSS for making decisions. We use the service hosted by Loomio themselves.
  • Github is both hosted and closed, so we could improve partway by moving to hosted and open. Github poses particular problems in that there is no easy way to export the functionality we're using, nor are we making backups of it, and the records have long-term value.
  • Google Apps is a proprietary hosted service, which we use mainly for email.

Related discussion: Sep 2017

Lead: Paul

Unrecorded State of the Map sessions

Discussion about State of the Map 2018 sessions where the speaker requested not to be recorded.
Lead: Paul

Microgrants update

Providing microgrants was a topic discussed extensively during the Face-to-Face board meeting in May, where a plan was developed. You might know similar programs from e.g. OSM-US, HOT or FOSSGIS. As a start and as a first trial we want to make a time-bound program where you can apply for microgrants until a specific date. Discussed were many of the details like the budget, a rough timeline and the need for a committee to help on with the selection and to provide some kind of “supervision”. The program is scheduled to start at this year’s State of the Map.

Related discussions: 2017 Aug, Jul, May.

GDPR preparation update

The General Data Protection Regulation came into effect May 25, 2018. The necessary steps for GDPR preparation have been discussed during the recent Face-to-Face board meeting (28-29 April). The board has authorised the Licensing Working Group to publish the current version of the privacy statement.

Related LWG discussions: 2018 Apr, Mar, Feb, 2017 Nov, Sep, Jul
Related Board discussions: 2018 May, Apr, Mar, Feb

Advisory Board - monthly update

The Advisory Board members are separate from the OSMF board of directors - individuals are either nominated by corporate members of the OSMF or invited directly by the OSMF board of directors. The OSMF Board of Directors will publicly minute, in the board meeting minutes, any communication sent to, or received from, the AB members. This monthly section is reserved for this purpose.

AB related Board discussions:
2018 May, Apr, Mar, Feb, Jan
2017 Oct, May (F2F), Apr, Mar, Feb, Jan

Lead: Martijn

Any other business

Guest comments or questions

Guests are welcome to speak at the end of the meeting on the topics that have been discussed. Please note that text messages sent on Mumble chat may not be seen by people who join using mobile apps.

Potential closed portion of meeting

Discussion of hosting and GDPR technical preparation

Processing Local Chapter applications from countries where it is difficult to show an established track record of activities building and supporting the OSM community

Next meeting

Meetings take place on the 3rd Thursday of the month, at 21:00 London time, unless rescheduled.

The next monthly board meeting will be on the 19th of July, at 21:00 London time, unless rescheduled.

Meeting end