Difference between revisions of "Board/Minutes/2018-08-16"

From OpenStreetMap Foundation
m (Draft page -> Draft agenda)
m (Removed draft status as minutes have been accepted)
 
(9 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
<font color="red">Draft Agenda</font>
 
<br/>
 
 
Location: [https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mumble Mumble], '''Thursday''' '''[https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=OSMF+board+meeting+-+August+2018&iso=20180816T21&p1=136&ah=1%2021:0 16th of August, at 21:00 London time]'''
 
Location: [https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mumble Mumble], '''Thursday''' '''[https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=OSMF+board+meeting+-+August+2018&iso=20180816T21&p1=136&ah=1%2021:0 16th of August, at 21:00 London time]'''
   
 
== Participants ==
 
== Participants ==
 
=== Board members ===
 
=== Board members ===
  +
  +
* Kate Chapman
  +
* Frederik Ramm
  +
* Heather Leson
  +
* Martijn van Exel
  +
* Paul Norman
  +
* Peter Barth (joined after ~ 2 min )
   
 
[https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/w/index.php?title=Board_Member_Bios&oldid=5556 Biographies]
 
[https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/w/index.php?title=Board_Member_Bios&oldid=5556 Biographies]
 
=== Guests ===
 
=== Guests ===
  +
  +
* 5 guests
   
 
Open to all OSMF members.
 
Open to all OSMF members.
Line 20: Line 27:
   
 
===Previous minutes===
 
===Previous minutes===
* [[Board/Minutes/2018-07-19]]
+
* [[Board/Minutes/2018-07-19]] Accepted
   
 
=== Circular Resolutions ===
 
=== Circular Resolutions ===
Line 45: Line 52:
 
| to send an email to members, months in advance of the 2018 [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Annual_General_Meetings Annual General Meeting], encouraging them to discuss and perhaps propose their own resolutions
 
| to send an email to members, months in advance of the 2018 [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Annual_General_Meetings Annual General Meeting], encouraging them to discuss and perhaps propose their own resolutions
 
|-
 
|-
| Frederik
+
| <s>Frederik</s>
| 2018-07-19
+
| <s>2018-07-19</s>
 
| <font color="blue"><s>to [[Board/Minutes/2018-07-19#State_of_the_Map_2018 |set up]] a time for the board to meet with Michelle Heyden, our new accountant, during SotM</s> <br> ''# Done''</font>
 
| <font color="blue"><s>to [[Board/Minutes/2018-07-19#State_of_the_Map_2018 |set up]] a time for the board to meet with Michelle Heyden, our new accountant, during SotM</s> <br> ''# Done''</font>
 
|-
 
|-
| Frederik/Mikel
+
| <s>Frederik/Mikel</s>
| 2018-03-15
+
| <s>2018-03-15</s>
| <s>to look at providing [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2018-03-15#SotMs_as_an_opportunity_to_increase_membership CiviCRM discount codes] for [https://2018.stateofthemap.org/ State of the Map 2018]. Will also look at how many people have already signed up and offer partial refund or suggest donation. </s> <br>'' # State of the Map has ended''
+
| <font color="blue"><s>to look at providing [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2018-03-15#SotMs_as_an_opportunity_to_increase_membership CiviCRM discount codes] for [https://2018.stateofthemap.org/ State of the Map 2018]. Will also look at how many people have already signed up and offer partial refund or suggest donation. </s></font> <br><font color="blue">'' # State of the Map has ended''</font>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Frederik/Paul
 
| Frederik/Paul
Line 57: Line 64:
 
| to prepare transparency document from [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2016-05_F2F#Committing_to_Greater_Transparency transparency session]
 
| to prepare transparency document from [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2016-05_F2F#Committing_to_Greater_Transparency transparency session]
 
|-
 
|-
| Heather
+
| <s>Heather</s>
| 2018-07-19
+
| <s>2018-07-19</s>
 
| <font color="blue"><s>to [[Board/Minutes/2018-07-19#GDPR_preparation_update |respond]] to Kathleen Lu's (LWG member) questions</s> <br> ''# Done''</font>
 
| <font color="blue"><s>to [[Board/Minutes/2018-07-19#GDPR_preparation_update |respond]] to Kathleen Lu's (LWG member) questions</s> <br> ''# Done''</font>
 
|-
 
|-
Line 65: Line 72:
 
| to follow up with Grant about the [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2018-02-15#openstreetmap.org_added_to_Easylist technical workaround] of having conference announcement banners on osm.org linked to landing pages on the website
 
| to follow up with Grant about the [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2018-02-15#openstreetmap.org_added_to_Easylist technical workaround] of having conference announcement banners on osm.org linked to landing pages on the website
 
|-
 
|-
| Kate
+
| <s>Kate</s>
| 2018-01-18
+
| <s>2018-01-18</s>
| <s>[https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/w/index.php?title=Board/Minutes/2018-01-25&action=submit#Prioritising_2018 to initiate] discussion about 2018 priorities over email</s>
+
| <font color="blue"><s>[https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/w/index.php?title=Board/Minutes/2018-01-25&action=submit#Prioritising_2018 to initiate] discussion about 2018 priorities over email</s></font><br> <font color="blue"> ''# To be removed.</font>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Kate
 
| Kate
Line 77: Line 84:
 
| [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2017-08-24#Question_about_any_decision_on_microgrants to write] to the [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Advisory_Board Advisory Board] list about microgrants
 
| [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2017-08-24#Question_about_any_decision_on_microgrants to write] to the [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Advisory_Board Advisory Board] list about microgrants
 
|-
 
|-
| Kate/Martijn
+
| <s>Kate/Martijn</s>
| 2016-05-28
+
| <s>2016-05-28</s>
| to draft [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2016-05_F2F#Diversity_.2F_Change_of_Whatever diversity] policy <br> ''# No progress to report. Low priority.''
+
| <font color="blue"><s>to draft [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2016-05_F2F#Diversity_.2F_Change_of_Whatever diversity] policy <font><br><font color="blue"> ''# No progress to report. Low priority.''</s><br> ''# To be removed. ''</font>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Martijn
 
| Martijn
Line 85: Line 92:
 
| to [[Board/Minutes/2018-06-21#Criteria_for_becoming_a_Local_Chapter| initiate discussion]] on the [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/osmf-talk osmf-talk mailing list] about refining the Local Chapter criteria. Suggested period for discussion: two weeks
 
| to [[Board/Minutes/2018-06-21#Criteria_for_becoming_a_Local_Chapter| initiate discussion]] on the [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/osmf-talk osmf-talk mailing list] about refining the Local Chapter criteria. Suggested period for discussion: two weeks
 
|-
 
|-
| Martijn
+
| <s>Martijn</s>
| 2017-11-16
+
| <s>2017-11-16</s>
| to create the draft of the [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2017-07-18#Microgrant_Fundraising microgrants] policy, separating it from the attempted combined draft with the updated [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2017-11-16#Travel_policy_update travel] policy
+
| <font color="blue"><s>to create the draft of the [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2017-07-18#Microgrant_Fundraising microgrants] policy, separating it from the attempted combined draft with the updated [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2017-11-16#Travel_policy_update travel] policy</s>.</font><br> <font color="blue"> ''# To be removed.</font>
 
|-
 
|-
| Martijn
+
| <s>Martijn</s>
| 2017-10-26
+
| <s>2017-10-26</s>
| to [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2017-10-26#Advisory_Board_on-boarding raise] the question to the [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Advisory_Board Advisory Board] about whether they would like to have an archive of the AB mailing list<br> ''# Martijn will prepare a brief orientation document for the AB and will ask then.''
+
| <font color="blue"><s>to [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2017-10-26#Advisory_Board_on-boarding raise] the question to the [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Advisory_Board Advisory Board] about whether they would like to have an archive of the AB mailing list<br> ''# Martijn will prepare a brief orientation document for the AB and will ask then.''</s></font><br> <font color="blue"> ''# To be removed.</font>
 
|-
 
|-
| Martijn
+
| <s>Martijn</s>
| 2017-07-18
+
| <s>2017-07-18</s>
| to look at the process of [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2017-07-18#Local_Chapter_reporting regular reporting] by the [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Local_Chapters Local Chapters] to the board and vice versa <br> ''
+
| <font color="blue"><s>to look at the process of [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2017-07-18#Local_Chapter_reporting regular reporting] by the [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Local_Chapters Local Chapters] to the board and vice versa</s>.</font><br> <font color="blue"> ''# To be removed.''</font>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Mikel/Paul
 
| Mikel/Paul
Line 109: Line 116:
 
| to send [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2016-08-19#Next_steps_for_a_Diversity_Policy round bullet points] on diversity policy proposal
 
| to send [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2016-08-19#Next_steps_for_a_Diversity_Policy round bullet points] on diversity policy proposal
 
|-
 
|-
| Paul
+
| <s>Paul</s>
| 2018-06-21
+
| <s>2018-06-21</s>
| to [[Board/Minutes/2018-06-21#FOSS_policy_compliance| send]] the limesurvey evaluation he did to the board
+
| <font color="blue"><s>to [[Board/Minutes/2018-06-21#FOSS_policy_compliance| send]] the limesurvey evaluation he did to the board</s> <br> ''# Done''</font>
 
|-
 
|-
| Paul/Heather
+
| Heather
 
| 2018-06-21
 
| 2018-06-21
| to [[Board/Minutes/2018-06-21#FOSS_policy_compliance| check]] check software/services evaluation templates of other organisations. Related to our FOSS policy.
+
| to [[Board/Minutes/2018-06-21#FOSS_policy_compliance| check]] software/services evaluation templates of other organisations. Related to our FOSS policy.
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Paul
 
| Paul
Line 135: Line 142:
 
|}
 
|}
   
== Action Item updates ==
 
  +
{| style="color: grey; background-color: #d3d3d3;
  +
<span style="font-size:88%"> '''Topics''':
  +
[[#Extended_OSMF_membership |Extended OSMF membership]] | [[#Microgrants_update |Microgrants update]] | [[#GDPR_preparation_update |GDPR update]] | [[#Advisory_Board_-_monthly_update |AB update]] | '''AOB''': [[#New_OSMF_registered_address |New OSMF registered address]] </span>
  +
|}
  +
  +
== Extended OSMF membership ==
  +
{| class="wikitable"
  +
|-
  +
|''Currently, physical persons that sign up for a [https://join.osmfoundation.org/ Normal or Associate membership], have to renew it every year. Several ideas regarding additional membership options have been mentioned in the past -and more recently at [https://2018.stateofthemap.org/ SotM 2018]- such as:
  +
* ''Lifelong membership ''
  +
* ''Membership renewal for X years''
  +
  +
''Please note that a person's membership can be renewed for multiple years at the OSMF table during the international State of the Map conference.''
  +
|-
  +
|}
  +
  +
Discussion about potentially implementing lifelong membership ''(one-time payment of certain amount)'':
  +
* There might be legal implications.
  +
* Amendment of the [[Articles_of_Association |Articles of Association]] will be necessary.
  +
* We might end up having members that in the future won't be interested in OSM as their priorities have changed. ''(Post meeting addition: this might weaken processes that require a certain percentage of members to do something)''.
  +
* This option is offerred by several US non-profits.
  +
  +
<u>'''Decision'''</u>: The board intends to explore this possibility further and will continue discussion offline.<br>
  +
'''Action Item''': Martijn and Kate to co-ordinate and contact our pro-bono lawyer regarding potentially offering lifelong memberships.
  +
  +
{| style="color: grey; background-color: #d3d3d3;
  +
<span style="font-size:88%"> '''Topics''':
  +
[[#Extended_OSMF_membership |Extended OSMF membership]] | [[#Microgrants_update |Microgrants update]] | [[#GDPR_preparation_update |GDPR update]] | [[#Advisory_Board_-_monthly_update |AB update]] | '''AOB''': [[#New_OSMF_registered_address |New OSMF registered address]] </span>
  +
|}
  +
  +
== Microgrants update ==
  +
{| class="wikitable"
  +
|-
  +
|''Providing microgrants was a topic discussed extensively during the [https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2018/05/29/f2f-board_meeting-2018/ Face-to-Face board meeting in April], where a plan was developed. You might know similar programs from e.g. OSM-US, HOT or FOSSGIS. As a start and as a first trial we want to make a time-bound program where you can apply for microgrants until a specific date. Discussed were many of the details like the budget, a rough timeline and the need for a committee to help on with the selection and to provide some kind of “supervision”. ''<br>
  +
  +
''Related board working session: Jul''<br>
  +
''Related SotM 2018 session: there was a lightning talk, for community feedback''<br>
  +
''Related board discussions: 2018 [[Board/Minutes/2018-07-19#Microgrants_update |Jul]], [[Board/Minutes/2018-06-21#Microgrants_update| Jun]], [https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2018/05/29/f2f-board_meeting-2018/ Apr], 2017 [[Board/Minutes/2017-08-24#Question_about_any_decision_on_microgrants| Aug]], [[Board/Minutes/2017-07-18#Microgrant_Fundraising| Jul]], [https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2017/06/27/summary-of-boards-face-to-face-meeting/ May]''.
  +
|-
  +
|}
  +
  +
Two microgrant -related sessions at [https://2018.stateofthemap.org State of the Map 2018] conference:
  +
* OSMF session ''("Microgrants @ OSMF. Give some input")''.
  +
* [https://www.hotosm.org/ HOT] session ''("[https://2018.stateofthemap.org/2018/T057-OSM_Community_Grants__sharing_experiences/ OSM Community Grants: sharing experiences]")''.
  +
  +
Some points and questions from those discussions:
  +
* Administrative workload evaluating application of grants should not be underestimated.
  +
* How will OSMF microgrants tie with microgrants in larger OSM community? ''(e.g. by HOT)''
  +
* We have to think carefully about the microgrants' scope. ''(developer/small events/other?)''
  +
  +
<u>'''Decision'''</u>: Heather will coordinate with Martijn and other board members to have weekly or fortnightly working sessions on microgrants after September 3rd.
  +
  +
<u>Suggestions</u>
  +
* Opening it up to the community for interested people to help and/or
  +
* Providing periodic reports on osmf-talk to get feedback from the membership.
  +
'' ''
  +
{| style="color: grey; background-color: #d3d3d3;
  +
<span style="font-size:88%"> '''Topics''':
  +
[[#Extended_OSMF_membership |Extended OSMF membership]] | [[#Microgrants_update |Microgrants update]] | [[#GDPR_preparation_update |GDPR update]] | [[#Advisory_Board_-_monthly_update |AB update]] | '''AOB''': [[#New_OSMF_registered_address |New OSMF registered address]] </span>
  +
|}
   
 
== GDPR preparation update ==
 
== GDPR preparation update ==
Line 145: Line 211:
 
'' Related Board discussions: 2018 [[Board/Minutes/2018-07-19#GDPR_preparation_update| Jul]], [[Board/Minutes/2018-06-21#GDPR_preparation_update| Jun]], [[Board/Minutes/2018-05-24#GDPR_preparation_update| May]], [[Board/Minutes/2018-04-19#GDPR_preparation_update_from_the_LWG| Apr]], [[Board/Minutes/2018-03-15#GDPR_preparation_update| Mar]], [[Board/Minutes/2018-02-15#General_Data_Protection_Regulation| Feb]]''<br>
 
'' Related Board discussions: 2018 [[Board/Minutes/2018-07-19#GDPR_preparation_update| Jul]], [[Board/Minutes/2018-06-21#GDPR_preparation_update| Jun]], [[Board/Minutes/2018-05-24#GDPR_preparation_update| May]], [[Board/Minutes/2018-04-19#GDPR_preparation_update_from_the_LWG| Apr]], [[Board/Minutes/2018-03-15#GDPR_preparation_update| Mar]], [[Board/Minutes/2018-02-15#General_Data_Protection_Regulation| Feb]]''<br>
 
|-
 
|-
  +
|}
  +
  +
=== OSMF services - terms of use ===
  +
* A [https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xtPjrTj09vQLloKmzyf-H-5mKtqh-vbPjsxE-5YRF5g/edit?usp=sharing Draft Terms of Use document], was written by the Licensing Working Group ''([https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2018-July/005221.html background on osmf-talk])''.
  +
* [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2018-August/005223.html Membership feedback] (osmf-talk thread).
  +
  +
<u>Suggestion</u>: Brief companion FAQ
  +
  +
=== Request for proposals related to API changes ===
  +
* [https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/GDPR/Affected_Services List of suggested API changes]
  +
* The list was made known to the [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/dev/2018-June/030264.html dev mailing list], the [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2018-May/005154.html OSMF membership] and the [https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2018/05/14/preparing-for-the-gdpr/ community].
  +
  +
<u>Suggestions</u>
  +
* Write a short call for proposals for someone to write code for implementing the changes (paid position). The written code will be provided to the community as a suggestion to be implemented.
  +
* Ask Andy Allan if he can provide feedback on the call.
  +
  +
''' Conflict of interest related ''' <br>
  +
* If we decide to ask for feedback from the community on the text for proposals, people who provide feedback cannot later apply for the position, as they will have a conflict of interest.
  +
* Paul has asked to not be involved in the write-up of the request for proposals, as he might be interested to apply.
  +
  +
'''Action Item''': Frederik to draft a call for proposals related to API suggested changes, which will be sent to board except Paul.
  +
  +
{| style="color: grey; background-color: #d3d3d3;
  +
<span style="font-size:88%"> '''Topics''':
  +
[[#Extended_OSMF_membership |Extended OSMF membership]] | [[#Microgrants_update |Microgrants update]] | [[#GDPR_preparation_update |GDPR update]] | [[#Advisory_Board_-_monthly_update |AB update]] | '''AOB''': [[#New_OSMF_registered_address |New OSMF registered address]] </span>
 
|}
 
|}
   
Line 158: Line 249:
   
 
* Some AB members had a meeting during [https://2018.stateofthemap.org State of the Map 2018], and spoke briefly about their own activities and the [[Welcome_Mat_to_organisations |Welcome Mat]] project.
 
* Some AB members had a meeting during [https://2018.stateofthemap.org State of the Map 2018], and spoke briefly about their own activities and the [[Welcome_Mat_to_organisations |Welcome Mat]] project.
* The public [https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:State_of_the_Map_2018_attendees.pdf SotM 2018 online registration list] was sent to the AB members by the [[StateoftheMap_Organizing_Committee |SotM organising committee]].
+
* The public [https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:State_of_the_Map_2018_attendees.pdf SotM 2018 online registration list] was sent to the AB members by the [[StateoftheMap_Organizing_Committee |SotM organising committee]].
  +
* OSM UK informed the AB that they will respond to the UK Geospatial Commission's [https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-launch-call-for-evidence-to-be-geospatial-world-leader call for evidence], which "encourage(s) responses from the geospatial industry and beyond to help set the UK's future geospatial vision". The call for evidence closes on 24 October.
  +
* There was a [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/local-chapters/2018-July/000307.html Local Chapter related meeting] during [https://2018.stateofthemap.org/ State of the Map 2018].
  +
  +
''Question by Peter whether we have a process of removing old members from the AB.''
  +
  +
> Yes. Old members are removed (unless the board decides otherwise -no such case has occurred yet).
  +
  +
{| style="color: grey; background-color: #d3d3d3;
  +
<span style="font-size:88%"> '''Topics''':
  +
[[#Extended_OSMF_membership |Extended OSMF membership]] | [[#Microgrants_update |Microgrants update]] | [[#GDPR_preparation_update |GDPR update]] | [[#Advisory_Board_-_monthly_update |AB update]] | '''AOB''': [[#New_OSMF_registered_address |New OSMF registered address]] </span>
  +
|}
   
 
== Any other business ==
 
== Any other business ==
  +
  +
=== New OSMF registered address ===
  +
The OSM Foundation has a new address:
  +
  +
OpenStreetMap Foundation
  +
St John’s Innovation Centre
  +
Cowley Road
  +
Cambridge
  +
CB4 0WS
  +
  +
Thanks to our long-time board member, Andy Robinson, whose address we have used since the OSMF was founded!
  +
  +
{| style="color: grey; background-color: #d3d3d3;
  +
<span style="font-size:88%"> '''Topics''':
  +
[[#Extended_OSMF_membership |Extended OSMF membership]] | [[#Microgrants_update |Microgrants update]] | [[#GDPR_preparation_update |GDPR update]] | [[#Advisory_Board_-_monthly_update |AB update]] | '''AOB''': [[#New_OSMF_registered_address |New OSMF registered address]] </span>
  +
|}
   
 
== Guest comments or questions ==
 
== Guest comments or questions ==
 
''Guests are welcome to speak at the end of the meeting on the topics that have been discussed. Please note that text messages sent on Mumble chat may not be seen by people who join using mobile apps.''
 
''Guests are welcome to speak at the end of the meeting on the topics that have been discussed. Please note that text messages sent on Mumble chat may not be seen by people who join using mobile apps.''
   
  +
> ''No comments or questions''
 
== Next meeting ==
 
== Next meeting ==
   

Latest revision as of 21:24, 20 September 2018

Location: Mumble, Thursday 16th of August, at 21:00 London time

Participants

Board members

  • Kate Chapman
  • Frederik Ramm
  • Heather Leson
  • Martijn van Exel
  • Paul Norman
  • Peter Barth (joined after ~ 2 min )

Biographies

Guests

  • 5 guests

Open to all OSMF members.

Guests are welcome to speak at the end of the meeting on the topics that have been discussed. Please note that text messages sent on Mumble chat may not be seen by people who join using mobile apps.

Not Present

  • Mikel Maron (apologies)

Administrative

Previous minutes

Circular Resolutions

Previous action items

The list is sortable and collapsible. New items or updates are in blue.

Name Date Action item and status
All 2018-03-15 to send a reminder about etiquette guidelines on osmf-talk, talk & facebook page
All 2018-02-15 to clean-up the SotM draft policy document
All 2017-11-16 to send an email to members, months in advance of the 2018 Annual General Meeting, encouraging them to discuss and perhaps propose their own resolutions
Frederik 2018-07-19 to set up a time for the board to meet with Michelle Heyden, our new accountant, during SotM
# Done
Frederik/Mikel 2018-03-15 to look at providing CiviCRM discount codes for State of the Map 2018. Will also look at how many people have already signed up and offer partial refund or suggest donation.
# State of the Map has ended
Frederik/Paul 2016-05-28 to prepare transparency document from transparency session
Heather 2018-07-19 to respond to Kathleen Lu's (LWG member) questions
# Done
Kate 2018-02-15 to follow up with Grant about the technical workaround of having conference announcement banners on osm.org linked to landing pages on the website
Kate 2018-01-18 to initiate discussion about 2018 priorities over email
# To be removed.
Kate 2018-01-18 to update the etiquette and add a reporting plan
Kate 2017-08-24 to write to the Advisory Board list about microgrants
Kate/Martijn 2016-05-28 to draft diversity policy
# No progress to report. Low priority.

# To be removed.
Martijn 2018-06-21 to initiate discussion on the osmf-talk mailing list about refining the Local Chapter criteria. Suggested period for discussion: two weeks
Martijn 2017-11-16 to create the draft of the microgrants policy, separating it from the attempted combined draft with the updated travel policy.
# To be removed.
Martijn 2017-10-26 to raise the question to the Advisory Board about whether they would like to have an archive of the AB mailing list
# Martijn will prepare a brief orientation document for the AB and will ask then.

# To be removed.
Martijn 2017-07-18 to look at the process of regular reporting by the Local Chapters to the board and vice versa.
# To be removed.
Mikel/Paul 2018-03-15 to look at the ten most active mailing lists and see if people listed as admins are active in the moderator role, what is in place, and how they manage the lists.
# 2018-05-24 Mikel drafted email and both agreed on some modifications
Mikel 2017-08-24 to send email on the list to find businesses that would like to offer input on the Welcome Mat
Mikel 2016-08-19 to send round bullet points on diversity policy proposal
Paul 2018-06-21 to send the limesurvey evaluation he did to the board
# Done
Heather 2018-06-21 to check software/services evaluation templates of other organisations. Related to our FOSS policy.
Paul 2018-04-19 to document the evaluation process of software and services used by the OSMF. Related to our FOSS policy.
Paul 2017-02-21 to separate the State of the Map (SotM) net profit discussion items and start the follow-up discussions
Paul 2016-10-28 to create a page on the wiki, listing software products which are used by OSMF and are closed-source and/or are externally hosted
# Was Peter's
Peter 2017-04-18 to make a list of requirements for email self-hosting and discuss them with the Operations Working Group
Topics: Extended OSMF membership | Microgrants update | GDPR update | AB update | AOB: New OSMF registered address

Extended OSMF membership

Currently, physical persons that sign up for a Normal or Associate membership, have to renew it every year. Several ideas regarding additional membership options have been mentioned in the past -and more recently at SotM 2018- such as:
  • Lifelong membership
  • Membership renewal for X years

Please note that a person's membership can be renewed for multiple years at the OSMF table during the international State of the Map conference.

Discussion about potentially implementing lifelong membership (one-time payment of certain amount):

  • There might be legal implications.
  • Amendment of the Articles of Association will be necessary.
  • We might end up having members that in the future won't be interested in OSM as their priorities have changed. (Post meeting addition: this might weaken processes that require a certain percentage of members to do something).
  • This option is offerred by several US non-profits.

Decision: The board intends to explore this possibility further and will continue discussion offline.
Action Item: Martijn and Kate to co-ordinate and contact our pro-bono lawyer regarding potentially offering lifelong memberships.

Topics: Extended OSMF membership | Microgrants update | GDPR update | AB update | AOB: New OSMF registered address

Microgrants update

Providing microgrants was a topic discussed extensively during the Face-to-Face board meeting in April, where a plan was developed. You might know similar programs from e.g. OSM-US, HOT or FOSSGIS. As a start and as a first trial we want to make a time-bound program where you can apply for microgrants until a specific date. Discussed were many of the details like the budget, a rough timeline and the need for a committee to help on with the selection and to provide some kind of “supervision”.

Related board working session: Jul
Related SotM 2018 session: there was a lightning talk, for community feedback
Related board discussions: 2018 Jul, Jun, Apr, 2017 Aug, Jul, May.

Two microgrant -related sessions at State of the Map 2018 conference:

Some points and questions from those discussions:

  • Administrative workload evaluating application of grants should not be underestimated.
  • How will OSMF microgrants tie with microgrants in larger OSM community? (e.g. by HOT)
  • We have to think carefully about the microgrants' scope. (developer/small events/other?)

Decision: Heather will coordinate with Martijn and other board members to have weekly or fortnightly working sessions on microgrants after September 3rd.

Suggestions

  • Opening it up to the community for interested people to help and/or
  • Providing periodic reports on osmf-talk to get feedback from the membership.

Topics: Extended OSMF membership | Microgrants update | GDPR update | AB update | AOB: New OSMF registered address

GDPR preparation update

The General Data Protection Regulation came into effect May 25, 2018. The necessary steps for GDPR preparation have been discussed during the recent Face-to-Face board meeting (28-29 April). The Licensing Working Group published a document with a set of recommendations, the privacy statement and is working on other documents, such as the Terms of Use.

Related LWG discussions: 2018 Jun, May, Apr, Mar, Feb, 2017 Nov, Sep, Jul
Related Board discussions: 2018 Jul, Jun, May, Apr, Mar, Feb

OSMF services - terms of use

Suggestion: Brief companion FAQ

Request for proposals related to API changes

Suggestions

  • Write a short call for proposals for someone to write code for implementing the changes (paid position). The written code will be provided to the community as a suggestion to be implemented.
  • Ask Andy Allan if he can provide feedback on the call.

Conflict of interest related

  • If we decide to ask for feedback from the community on the text for proposals, people who provide feedback cannot later apply for the position, as they will have a conflict of interest.
  • Paul has asked to not be involved in the write-up of the request for proposals, as he might be interested to apply.

Action Item: Frederik to draft a call for proposals related to API suggested changes, which will be sent to board except Paul.

Topics: Extended OSMF membership | Microgrants update | GDPR update | AB update | AOB: New OSMF registered address

Advisory Board - monthly update

The Advisory Board members are separate from the OSMF board of directors - individuals are either nominated by corporate members of the OSMF or invited directly by the OSMF board of directors. The OSMF Board of Directors will publicly minute, in the board meeting minutes, any communication sent to, or received from, the AB members. This monthly section is reserved for this purpose. Overview.

AB related Board discussions:
2018 Jul, Jun, May, Apr, Mar, Feb, Jan
2017 Oct, May (F2F), [[Board/Minutes/2017-04-18#Advisory_Board_.28Update.29| Apr], Mar, Feb, Jan

Lead: Martijn

Question by Peter whether we have a process of removing old members from the AB.

> Yes. Old members are removed (unless the board decides otherwise -no such case has occurred yet).

Topics: Extended OSMF membership | Microgrants update | GDPR update | AB update | AOB: New OSMF registered address

Any other business

New OSMF registered address

The OSM Foundation has a new address:

OpenStreetMap Foundation
St John’s Innovation Centre
Cowley Road
Cambridge
CB4 0WS

Thanks to our long-time board member, Andy Robinson, whose address we have used since the OSMF was founded!

Topics: Extended OSMF membership | Microgrants update | GDPR update | AB update | AOB: New OSMF registered address

Guest comments or questions

Guests are welcome to speak at the end of the meeting on the topics that have been discussed. Please note that text messages sent on Mumble chat may not be seen by people who join using mobile apps.

> No comments or questions

Next meeting

Meetings take place on the 3rd Thursday of the month, at 21:00 London time, unless rescheduled.

The next monthly board meeting will be on the 20th of September, at 21:00 London time, unless rescheduled.

Meeting end