Difference between revisions of "Board/Minutes/2018-08-16"

From OpenStreetMap Foundation
(struck some old action items that have been either superseded or no longer relevant)
m (+ topic "Microgrants update" . Also coloured blue the action items that have been stricken through by Martijn (+1 new update by Paul))
Line 45: Line 45:
 
| to send an email to members, months in advance of the 2018 [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Annual_General_Meetings Annual General Meeting], encouraging them to discuss and perhaps propose their own resolutions
 
| to send an email to members, months in advance of the 2018 [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Annual_General_Meetings Annual General Meeting], encouraging them to discuss and perhaps propose their own resolutions
 
|-
 
|-
| Frederik
+
| <s>Frederik</s>
| 2018-07-19
+
| <s>2018-07-19</s>
 
| <font color="blue"><s>to [[Board/Minutes/2018-07-19#State_of_the_Map_2018 |set up]] a time for the board to meet with Michelle Heyden, our new accountant, during SotM</s> <br> ''# Done''</font>
 
| <font color="blue"><s>to [[Board/Minutes/2018-07-19#State_of_the_Map_2018 |set up]] a time for the board to meet with Michelle Heyden, our new accountant, during SotM</s> <br> ''# Done''</font>
 
|-
 
|-
| Frederik/Mikel
+
| <s>Frederik/Mikel</s>
| 2018-03-15
+
| <s>2018-03-15</s>
| <s>to look at providing [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2018-03-15#SotMs_as_an_opportunity_to_increase_membership CiviCRM discount codes] for [https://2018.stateofthemap.org/ State of the Map 2018]. Will also look at how many people have already signed up and offer partial refund or suggest donation. </s> <br>'' # State of the Map has ended''
+
| <font color="blue"><s>to look at providing [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2018-03-15#SotMs_as_an_opportunity_to_increase_membership CiviCRM discount codes] for [https://2018.stateofthemap.org/ State of the Map 2018]. Will also look at how many people have already signed up and offer partial refund or suggest donation. </s></font> <br><font color="blue">'' # State of the Map has ended''</font>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Frederik/Paul
 
| Frederik/Paul
Line 57: Line 57:
 
| to prepare transparency document from [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2016-05_F2F#Committing_to_Greater_Transparency transparency session]
 
| to prepare transparency document from [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2016-05_F2F#Committing_to_Greater_Transparency transparency session]
 
|-
 
|-
| Heather
+
| <s>Heather</s>
| 2018-07-19
+
| <s>2018-07-19</s>
 
| <font color="blue"><s>to [[Board/Minutes/2018-07-19#GDPR_preparation_update |respond]] to Kathleen Lu's (LWG member) questions</s> <br> ''# Done''</font>
 
| <font color="blue"><s>to [[Board/Minutes/2018-07-19#GDPR_preparation_update |respond]] to Kathleen Lu's (LWG member) questions</s> <br> ''# Done''</font>
 
|-
 
|-
Line 65: Line 65:
 
| to follow up with Grant about the [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2018-02-15#openstreetmap.org_added_to_Easylist technical workaround] of having conference announcement banners on osm.org linked to landing pages on the website
 
| to follow up with Grant about the [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2018-02-15#openstreetmap.org_added_to_Easylist technical workaround] of having conference announcement banners on osm.org linked to landing pages on the website
 
|-
 
|-
| Kate
+
| <s>Kate</s>
| 2018-01-18
+
| <s>2018-01-18</s>
| <s>[https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/w/index.php?title=Board/Minutes/2018-01-25&action=submit#Prioritising_2018 to initiate] discussion about 2018 priorities over email</s>
+
| <font color="blue"><s>[https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/w/index.php?title=Board/Minutes/2018-01-25&action=submit#Prioritising_2018 to initiate] discussion about 2018 priorities over email</s></font><br> <font color="blue"> ''# To be removed.</font>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Kate
 
| Kate
Line 79: Line 79:
 
| <s>Kate/Martijn</s>
 
| <s>Kate/Martijn</s>
 
| <s>2016-05-28</s>
 
| <s>2016-05-28</s>
| <s>to draft [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2016-05_F2F#Diversity_.2F_Change_of_Whatever diversity] policy <br> ''# No progress to report. Low priority.''</s>
+
| <font color="blue"><s>to draft [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2016-05_F2F#Diversity_.2F_Change_of_Whatever diversity] policy <font><br><font color="blue"> ''# No progress to report. Low priority.''</s> ''# To be removed. ''</font>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Martijn
 
| Martijn
Line 87: Line 87:
 
| <s>Martijn</s>
 
| <s>Martijn</s>
 
| <s>2017-11-16</s>
 
| <s>2017-11-16</s>
| <s>to create the draft of the [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2017-07-18#Microgrant_Fundraising microgrants] policy, separating it from the attempted combined draft with the updated [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2017-11-16#Travel_policy_update travel] policy</s>
+
| <font color="blue"><s>to create the draft of the [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2017-07-18#Microgrant_Fundraising microgrants] policy, separating it from the attempted combined draft with the updated [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2017-11-16#Travel_policy_update travel] policy</s>.</font><br> <font color="blue"> ''# To be removed.</font>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| <s>Martijn</s>
 
| <s>Martijn</s>
 
| <s>2017-10-26</s>
 
| <s>2017-10-26</s>
| <s>to [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2017-10-26#Advisory_Board_on-boarding raise] the question to the [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Advisory_Board Advisory Board] about whether they would like to have an archive of the AB mailing list<br> ''# Martijn will prepare a brief orientation document for the AB and will ask then.''</s>
+
| <font color="blue"><s>to [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2017-10-26#Advisory_Board_on-boarding raise] the question to the [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Advisory_Board Advisory Board] about whether they would like to have an archive of the AB mailing list<br> ''# Martijn will prepare a brief orientation document for the AB and will ask then.''</s></font><br> <font color="blue"> ''# To be removed.</font>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| <s>Martijn</s>
 
| <s>Martijn</s>
 
| <s>2017-07-18</s>
 
| <s>2017-07-18</s>
| <s>to look at the process of [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2017-07-18#Local_Chapter_reporting regular reporting] by the [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Local_Chapters Local Chapters] to the board and vice versa <br></s> ''
+
| <font color="blue"><s>to look at the process of [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2017-07-18#Local_Chapter_reporting regular reporting] by the [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Local_Chapters Local Chapters] to the board and vice versa</s>.</font><br> <font color="blue"> ''# To be removed.''</font>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Mikel/Paul
 
| Mikel/Paul
Line 109: Line 109:
 
| to send [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2016-08-19#Next_steps_for_a_Diversity_Policy round bullet points] on diversity policy proposal
 
| to send [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2016-08-19#Next_steps_for_a_Diversity_Policy round bullet points] on diversity policy proposal
 
|-
 
|-
| Paul
+
| <s>Paul</s>
| 2018-06-21
+
| <s>2018-06-21</s>
| to [[Board/Minutes/2018-06-21#FOSS_policy_compliance| send]] the limesurvey evaluation he did to the board
+
| <font color="blue"><s>to [[Board/Minutes/2018-06-21#FOSS_policy_compliance| send]] the limesurvey evaluation he did to the board</s> <br> ''# Done''</font>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Paul/Heather
 
| Paul/Heather
Line 146: Line 146:
   
 
''Please note that a person's membership can be renewed for multiple years at the OSMF table during the international State of the Map conference.''
 
''Please note that a person's membership can be renewed for multiple years at the OSMF table during the international State of the Map conference.''
  +
|-
  +
|}
  +
  +
== Microgrants update ==
  +
{| class="wikitable"
  +
|-
  +
|''Providing microgrants was a topic discussed extensively during the [https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2018/05/29/f2f-board_meeting-2018/ Face-to-Face board meeting in April], where a plan was developed. You might know similar programs from e.g. OSM-US, HOT or FOSSGIS. As a start and as a first trial we want to make a time-bound program where you can apply for microgrants until a specific date. Discussed were many of the details like the budget, a rough timeline and the need for a committee to help on with the selection and to provide some kind of “supervision”. ''<br>
  +
  +
''Related board working session: Jul''<br>
  +
''Related SotM 2018 session: there was a lightning talk, for community feedback''<br>
  +
''Related board discussions: 2018 [[oard/Minutes/2018-07-19#Microgrants_update |Jul]], [[Board/Minutes/2018-06-21#Microgrants_update| Jun]], [https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2018/05/29/f2f-board_meeting-2018/ Apr], 2017 [[Board/Minutes/2017-08-24#Question_about_any_decision_on_microgrants| Aug]], [[Board/Minutes/2017-07-18#Microgrant_Fundraising| Jul]], [https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2017/06/27/summary-of-boards-face-to-face-meeting/ May]''.
 
|-
 
|-
 
|}
 
|}

Revision as of 20:28, 15 August 2018

Draft Agenda
Location: Mumble, Thursday 16th of August, at 21:00 London time

Participants

Board members

Biographies

Guests

Open to all OSMF members.

Guests are welcome to speak at the end of the meeting on the topics that have been discussed. Please note that text messages sent on Mumble chat may not be seen by people who join using mobile apps.

Not Present

  • Mikel Maron (apologies)

Administrative

Previous minutes

Circular Resolutions

Previous action items

The list is sortable and collapsible. New items or updates are in blue.

Name Date Action item and status
All 2018-03-15 to send a reminder about etiquette guidelines on osmf-talk, talk & facebook page
All 2018-02-15 to clean-up the SotM draft policy document
All 2017-11-16 to send an email to members, months in advance of the 2018 Annual General Meeting, encouraging them to discuss and perhaps propose their own resolutions
Frederik 2018-07-19 to set up a time for the board to meet with Michelle Heyden, our new accountant, during SotM
# Done
Frederik/Mikel 2018-03-15 to look at providing CiviCRM discount codes for State of the Map 2018. Will also look at how many people have already signed up and offer partial refund or suggest donation.
# State of the Map has ended
Frederik/Paul 2016-05-28 to prepare transparency document from transparency session
Heather 2018-07-19 to respond to Kathleen Lu's (LWG member) questions
# Done
Kate 2018-02-15 to follow up with Grant about the technical workaround of having conference announcement banners on osm.org linked to landing pages on the website
Kate 2018-01-18 to initiate discussion about 2018 priorities over email
# To be removed.
Kate 2018-01-18 to update the etiquette and add a reporting plan
Kate 2017-08-24 to write to the Advisory Board list about microgrants
Kate/Martijn 2016-05-28 to draft diversity policy
# No progress to report. Low priority.
# To be removed.
Martijn 2018-06-21 to initiate discussion on the osmf-talk mailing list about refining the Local Chapter criteria. Suggested period for discussion: two weeks
Martijn 2017-11-16 to create the draft of the microgrants policy, separating it from the attempted combined draft with the updated travel policy.
# To be removed.
Martijn 2017-10-26 to raise the question to the Advisory Board about whether they would like to have an archive of the AB mailing list
# Martijn will prepare a brief orientation document for the AB and will ask then.

# To be removed.
Martijn 2017-07-18 to look at the process of regular reporting by the Local Chapters to the board and vice versa.
# To be removed.
Mikel/Paul 2018-03-15 to look at the ten most active mailing lists and see if people listed as admins are active in the moderator role, what is in place, and how they manage the lists.
# 2018-05-24 Mikel drafted email and both agreed on some modifications
Mikel 2017-08-24 to send email on the list to find businesses that would like to offer input on the Welcome Mat
Mikel 2016-08-19 to send round bullet points on diversity policy proposal
Paul 2018-06-21 to send the limesurvey evaluation he did to the board
# Done
Paul/Heather 2018-06-21 to check check software/services evaluation templates of other organisations. Related to our FOSS policy.
Paul 2018-04-19 to document the evaluation process of software and services used by the OSMF. Related to our FOSS policy.
Paul 2017-02-21 to separate the State of the Map (SotM) net profit discussion items and start the follow-up discussions
Paul 2016-10-28 to create a page on the wiki, listing software products which are used by OSMF and are closed-source and/or are externally hosted
# Was Peter's
Peter 2017-04-18 to make a list of requirements for email self-hosting and discuss them with the Operations Working Group

Action Item updates

Extended OSMF membership

Currently, physical persons that sign up for a Normal or Associate membership, have to renew it every year. Several ideas regarding additional membership options have been mentioned in the past -and more recently at SotM 2018- such as:
  • Lifelong membership
  • Membership renewal for X years

Discussion about these and other options.

Please note that a person's membership can be renewed for multiple years at the OSMF table during the international State of the Map conference.

Microgrants update

Providing microgrants was a topic discussed extensively during the Face-to-Face board meeting in April, where a plan was developed. You might know similar programs from e.g. OSM-US, HOT or FOSSGIS. As a start and as a first trial we want to make a time-bound program where you can apply for microgrants until a specific date. Discussed were many of the details like the budget, a rough timeline and the need for a committee to help on with the selection and to provide some kind of “supervision”.

Related board working session: Jul
Related SotM 2018 session: there was a lightning talk, for community feedback
Related board discussions: 2018 Jul, Jun, Apr, 2017 Aug, Jul, May.

GDPR preparation update

The General Data Protection Regulation came into effect May 25, 2018. The necessary steps for GDPR preparation have been discussed during the recent Face-to-Face board meeting (28-29 April). The Licensing Working Group published a document with a set of recommendations, the privacy statement and is working on other documents, such as the Terms of Use.

Related LWG discussions: 2018 Jun, May, Apr, Mar, Feb, 2017 Nov, Sep, Jul
Related Board discussions: 2018 Jul, Jun, May, Apr, Mar, Feb

Advisory Board - monthly update

The Advisory Board members are separate from the OSMF board of directors - individuals are either nominated by corporate members of the OSMF or invited directly by the OSMF board of directors. The OSMF Board of Directors will publicly minute, in the board meeting minutes, any communication sent to, or received from, the AB members. This monthly section is reserved for this purpose. Overview.

AB related Board discussions:
2018 Jul, Jun, May, Apr, Mar, Feb, Jan
2017 Oct, May (F2F), [[Board/Minutes/2017-04-18#Advisory_Board_.28Update.29| Apr], Mar, Feb, Jan

Lead: Martijn

Any other business

Guest comments or questions

Guests are welcome to speak at the end of the meeting on the topics that have been discussed. Please note that text messages sent on Mumble chat may not be seen by people who join using mobile apps.

Next meeting

Meetings take place on the 3rd Thursday of the month, at 21:00 London time, unless rescheduled.

The next monthly board meeting will be on the 20th of September, at 21:00 London time, unless rescheduled.

Meeting end