Board/Minutes/2018-11-15

From OpenStreetMap Foundation
Revision as of 04:05, 16 November 2018 by Dorothea (talk | contribs) (+ Voting results, board members' presence, some notes, re-arranging topics to match order of discussion)

Voting results and some notes.
Location: Channel "OSMF Board of Directors (Public)" on Mumble - 15th of November, at 21:00 London time

Participants

Board members

  • Kate Chapman
  • Heather Leson
  • Peter Barth
  • Martijn van Exel
  • Mikel Maron
  • Paul Norman
  • Frederik Ramm

Biographies

Guests

  • 24 guests.

Open to all OSMF members.

Guests are welcome to speak at the end of the meeting on the topics that have been discussed. Please note that text messages sent on Mumble chat may not be seen by people who join using mobile apps.

Not Present

Administrative

Previous minutes

Circular Resolutions

Previous action items

The list is sortable and collapsible. New items or updates are in blue.

Name Date Action item and status
All 2018-03-15 to send a reminder about etiquette guidelines on osmf-talk, talk & facebook page.
All 2018-02-15 to clean-up the SotM draft policy document.
All 2017-11-16 to send an email to members, months in advance of the 2018 Annual General Meeting, encouraging them to discuss and perhaps propose their own resolutions.
Frederik 2018-09-20 to update Roland Olbricht, maintainer of the Overpass API (downstream data controller).
Frederik/Paul 2016-05-28 to prepare transparency document from transparency session.
Kate 2018-02-15 to follow up with Grant about the technical workaround of having conference announcement banners on osm.org linked to landing pages on the website.
Kate 2018-01-18 to update the etiquette and add a reporting plan.
Martijn 2018-06-21 to initiate discussion on the osmf-talk mailing list about refining the Local Chapter criteria.
# Suggested period for discussion: two weeks.
Mikel/Paul 2018-03-15 to look at the ten most active mailing lists and see if people listed as admins are active in the moderator role, what is in place, and how they manage the lists.
# 2018-05-24 Mikel drafted email and both agreed on some modifications.
Mikel 2017-08-24 to send email on the list to find businesses that would like to offer input on the Welcome Mat.
Mikel 2016-08-19 to send round bullet points on diversity policy proposal.
Paul 2018-04-19 to document the evaluation process of software and services used by the OSMF. Related to our FOSS policy.
Paul 2017-02-21 to separate the State of the Map (SotM) net profit discussion items and start the follow-up discussions.
Paul 2016-10-28 to create a page on the wiki, listing software products which are used by OSMF and are closed-source and/or are externally hosted.
# Was Peter's
Peter 2018-09-20 to draft email to start off discussion on the osmf-talk mailing list about developing guidance for our involvement in politics/activism.
Peter 2017-04-18 to make a list of requirements for email self-hosting and discuss them with the Operations Working Group.

Closed portion of meeting

The OSMF board had a closed session portion of the meeting, in order to decide who can vote on the organised editing guidelines' document (which is a new version of the former draft Directed Editing policy). Initially, Heather and Frederik will be briefly "interviewed", to see if they also have a conflict of interest (COI). Then, those board members without a COI will discuss and vote on the other board members' (with a COI) ability to vote. If someone chooses to recuse themselves, then there will be no need to vote on them. Please note that if it is decided that it is necessary to continue to discuss the policy, then there will be also a vote to authorize the board members with a COI to continue to discuss. The outcome will be minuted.

Organised editing guidelines

Voting

Approve the proposed organised editing guidelines
The DWG has developed a set of organised editing guidelines (which is a new version of the former draft Directed Editing policy), after integrating a lot of feedback from the advisory board members, the humanitarian mapping initiatives and the mapping community.
Accepted with ultimately 7 votes in favour: Kate Chapman, Peter Barth, Paul Norman, Frederik Ramm.

1 Disagreed: Heather Leson
2 Recused from voting: Martijn van Exel, Mikel Maron

Membership fee waiver program

The Membership Working Group (MWG) is working on the implementation of a membership fee waiver program. It is based on the board resolution and the subsequent vote at the 2014 Annual General Meeting. People will be able to apply through the fee waiver program for an associate membership, if paying the fee would constitute an unreasonable burden to the member because of lack of a suitable money transfer facility. The MWG is working on finalising and publishing the procedure.
  • Current version.
  • The program has been accepted by the Board (2018 Jan), provided that the text modifications are minor.
  • The Fee Waiver Program will be for "an active contributor" (as defined here): "a natural person (whether using a single or multiple accounts) who has edited the Project in any three calendar months from the last 12 months (i.e. there is a demonstrated interest over time)".

Related membership discussions: 2018 Nov, 2017 Sep

Voting on reviewing recent fee waiver requests

The board to review the recent fee waiver requests
The membership fee waiver program has not been implemented yet. However, today (2018-11-15) there has been a flurry of emails sent to the board and the Membership Working Group from people asking to join the Foundation and the fee to be waived. The board will review the requests and individually decide on the waiver. If approved, the membership join date will be the date of the approval.
Unanimously accepted with ultimately 7 votes in favour.

  • Some of these requests had incomplete information.
  • AGM 2018: Any person who joins the Foundation on or after the 15th of November (through the normal procedure or through the fee waiver program) won't be eligible to vote at the upcoming 2018 board elections, as they have to be members for the whole duration of the 30 days prior to the date of the AGM (December 15th, 2018).

Copyright page and the national mapping agency of Spain

Enquiry by the OSM Spaniard community related to a request from the national mapping agency of Spain (Instituto Geográfico Nacional -IGN-) as they want to appear on the openstreetmap.org/copyright page. IGN already appears on the contributors wiki page.

Brief discussion towards the end of the meeting due to time constraints.

Not discussed due to time constraints

Becoming an Open Source Initiative affiliate

Suggestion that we become an affiliate of the Open Source Initiative - affiliation is free. This would give the OSM some added visibility in open source communities. Affiliates include Creative Commons, LibreItalia and the Wikimedia Foundation.

Aiding sponsorship of regional SotMs

Enquiry by some Advisory Board members about whether OSMF could help Corporate Members that want to sponsor regional SotMs by receiving funds on behalf of the regional SotMs and transferring en masse. This would make sponsorship a whole lot easier, as it is currently difficult is getting funds to regional SotMs, because of procurement system requirements. A handling fee for the administrative overhead could be added.
Lead: Mikel

Not discussed due to time constraints.

GDPR preparation update

The General Data Protection Regulation came into effect May 25, 2018. The necessary steps for GDPR preparation have been discussed during the recent Face-to-Face board meeting (28-29 April). The Licensing Working Group published a set of recommendations, the privacy statement and the Terms of Use.

Related LWG discussions: 2018 Oct, Sep, Jul, Jun, May, Apr, Mar, Feb, 2017 Nov, Sep, Jul
Related Board discussions: 2018 Oct, Sep, Aug, Jul, Jun, May, Apr, Mar, Feb

Not discussed due to time constraints.

Advisory Board - monthly update

The Advisory Board members are separate from the OSMF board of directors - individuals are either nominated by Corporate Members of the OSMF or invited directly by the OSMF board of directors. The OSMF Board of Directors will publicly minute, in the board meeting minutes, any communication sent to, or received from, the AB members. This monthly section is reserved for this purpose. Overview.

AB related updates and board discussions:
2018 Oct, Sep, Aug, Jul, Jun, May, Apr, Mar, Feb, Jan
2017 Oct, May (F2F), Apr, Mar, Feb, Jan

Lead: Martijn
  • Enquiry by some Advisory Board members about whether OSMF could help Corporate Members that want to sponsor regional SotMs by receiving funds on behalf of the regional SotMs and transferring en masse. This would make sponsorship a whole lot easier, as it is currently difficult is getting funds to regional SotMs, because of procurement system requirements. A handling fee for the administrative overhead could be added.

Any other business

Guest comments or questions

Guests are welcome to speak at the end of the meeting on the topics that have been discussed. Please note that text messages sent on Mumble chat may not be seen by people who join using mobile apps.

Next meetings

Annual General Meeting

The 12th Annual General Meeting of the OpenStreetMap Foundation will be held online in the IRC chat room #osmf-gm on the IRC network irc.oftc.net, at 16:00 UTC on Saturday, 15 December 2018.

Monthly recurring board meeting

Meetings take place on the 3rd Thursday of the month, at 21:00 London time, unless rescheduled.
The next monthly board meeting would normally be on the 20th of December, at 21:00 London time, but it might get rescheduled.

Meeting end