Difference between revisions of "Board/Minutes/2019-03-20"

From OpenStreetMap Foundation
m (formatting)
m (+ Circular resolution 2019/Res15 with votes so far, Copyright directive alert box)
Line 1: Line 1:
  +
<div style="margin:2px 0;border:1px solid #9B9;background:#000000;color:#FFFFFF;padding:2px .5em;text-align:left">
  +
  +
'''The EU Copyright Directive threatens OpenStreetMap and the freedom on the internet we used have. Please join the protest:'''
  +
* '''Call your MEP. [https://savetheinternet.info/contact-your-mep Phone numbers and assistance]'''
  +
* '''A day of protests will take place in more than 30 cities all over Europe on 23 March. Please join a demonstration! [https://savetheinternet.info/demos Locations and dates]'''
  +
  +
'''[https://www.openstreetmap.de/uf/en.html osm.de page containing explanation about the harm to OpenStreetMap]'''
  +
</div>
 
<div style="margin:2px 0;border:1px solid #9B9;background:#EFE;color:#000;padding:2px .5em;text-align:center">
 
<div style="margin:2px 0;border:1px solid #9B9;background:#EFE;color:#000;padding:2px .5em;text-align:center">
  +
 
<font color="red">Draft Agenda.</font><br>
 
<font color="red">Draft Agenda.</font><br>
   
Line 8: Line 17:
 
''US and Canada: please note that time is currently DST adjusted in most of the US and Canada, while not yet DST adjusted in most other countries. The links above can show the local times.''
 
''US and Canada: please note that time is currently DST adjusted in most of the US and Canada, while not yet DST adjusted in most other countries. The links above can show the local times.''
 
</div>
 
</div>
 
 
== Participants ==
 
== Participants ==
   
Line 36: Line 44:
 
|-
 
|-
 
|style="text-align: left; background: white;" | <span style="color: black;">
 
|style="text-align: left; background: white;" | <span style="color: black;">
'''Accepted''' 2019-03-02 with '''6 votes in favour: '''Kate Chapman, Joost Schouppe, Tobias Knerr, Mikel Maron, Paul Norman, Frederik Ramm <br>
+
'''Accepted''' 2019-03-02 with '''6 votes in favour: '''Kate Chapman, Joost Schouppe, Tobias Knerr, Mikel Maron, Paul Norman, Frederik Ramm <br>
  +
'''1 not voted: '''Heather Leson <br></span>
  +
|}
  +
  +
==== 2019/Res15 Add a banner about the EU Copyright Directive to osm.org ====
  +
{| class="wikitable"
  +
|-
  +
|''The European Parliament is expected to vote on the Copyright Directive next week. Other organizations relying on open user-generated content, including our [https://www.fossgis.de/ German local chapter], have already taken a stand against the directive – in particular the controversial article 13. OpenStreetMap should join them by adding a protest banner to the openstreetmap.org website. [[Operations_Working_Group|OWG]] will be asked to handle the necessary steps for implementing the banner.''
  +
|-
  +
|style="text-align: left; background: white;" | <span style="color: black;">
  +
''Voting period ends on 25th of March. Votes so far: <br>
  +
'''6 votes in favour: '''Tobias Knerr, Mikel Maron, Kate Chapman, Paul Norman, Frederik Ramm, Joost Schouppe <br>
 
'''1 not voted: '''Heather Leson <br></span>
 
'''1 not voted: '''Heather Leson <br></span>
 
|}
 
|}

Revision as of 21:20, 19 March 2019

The EU Copyright Directive threatens OpenStreetMap and the freedom on the internet we used have. Please join the protest:

osm.de page containing explanation about the harm to OpenStreetMap

Draft Agenda.

Location: Channel "OSMF Board of Directors (Public)" on Mumble.
Date and time: Wednesday, 20th of March at 19:00 London time.
Countdown

US and Canada: please note that time is currently DST adjusted in most of the US and Canada, while not yet DST adjusted in most other countries. The links above can show the local times.

Participants

Board members

Biographies

Guests

Open to all OSMF members.

Guests are welcome to speak at the end of the meeting on the topics that have been discussed. Please note that text messages sent on Mumble chat may not be seen by people who join using mobile apps.

Not Present

Administrative

Previous minutes

Circular Resolutions

2019/Res14 Allow attribution on osm.org/copyright page

Allow the Spanish national mapping agency attribution on osm.org/copyright, with the understanding that attribution may be moved in the future.

Accepted 2019-03-02 with 6 votes in favour: Kate Chapman, Joost Schouppe, Tobias Knerr, Mikel Maron, Paul Norman, Frederik Ramm
1 not voted: Heather Leson

2019/Res15 Add a banner about the EU Copyright Directive to osm.org

The European Parliament is expected to vote on the Copyright Directive next week. Other organizations relying on open user-generated content, including our German local chapter, have already taken a stand against the directive – in particular the controversial article 13. OpenStreetMap should join them by adding a protest banner to the openstreetmap.org website. OWG will be asked to handle the necessary steps for implementing the banner.

Voting period ends on 25th of March. Votes so far:
6 votes in favour: Tobias Knerr, Mikel Maron, Kate Chapman, Paul Norman, Frederik Ramm, Joost Schouppe
1 not voted: Heather Leson

Previous action items

The list is sortable and collapsible. New items or updates are in blue.

Name Date Action item and status
All 2018-03-15 to send a reminder about etiquette guidelines on osmf-talk, talk & facebook page.
All 2018-02-15 to clean-up the SotM draft policy document.
All 2017-11-16 to send an email to members, months in advance of the 2018 Annual General Meeting, encouraging them to discuss and perhaps propose their own resolutions.
Frederik 2019-02-20 Frederik to create a circular about accepting the proposed budget. Once accepted, the budget will be put up on the OSMF website.
Frederik 2018-12-20 to remind the GDPR tech. implementation call on mailing lists after the 7th of January.
Frederik 2018-09-20 to update Roland Olbricht, maintainer of the Overpass API (downstream data controller).
Frederik/Paul 2016-05-28 to prepare transparency document from transparency session.
Heather 2018-12-20 to draft email to start off discussion on the osmf-talk mailing list about developing guidance for our involvement in politics/activism.
# Was Peter's. Assigned to Heather on 2018-12-20.
Heather 2018-06-21 to initiate discussion on the osmf-talk mailing list about refining the Local Chapter criteria.
# Suggested period for discussion: two weeks. Was Martijn's. Assigned to Heather on 2018-12-20.
Kate 2019-02-20 Kate to follow up regarding GlobalLogic and co-ordinate with Heather about what to do.
Kate 2019-02-20 Kate to loop the board with Gunner (facilitator).
# Done.
Kate 2018-12-20 to write to the Data Working Group to see if there's anything further the board can do to support them.
Kate 2018-02-15 to follow up with Grant about the technical workaround of having conference announcement banners on osm.org linked to landing pages on the website.
Kate 2018-01-18 to update the etiquette and add a reporting plan.
Mikel/Paul 2018-03-15 to look at the ten most active mailing lists and see if people listed as admins are active in the moderator role, what is in place, and how they manage the lists.
# 2018-05-24 Mikel drafted email and both agreed on some modifications.
Mikel 2016-08-19 to send round bullet points on diversity policy proposal.
Paul 2019-02-20 Paul to create a circular regarding attribution of the Spanish national mapping agency on osm.org/copyright page (initially assigned to Dorothea).
# Done.
Paul 2018-04-19 to document the evaluation process of software and services used by the OSMF. Related to our FOSS policy.
Paul 2017-02-21 to separate the State of the Map (SotM) net profit discussion items and start the follow-up discussions.
Paul 2016-10-28 to create a page on the wiki, listing software products which are used by OSMF and are closed-source and/or are externally hosted.
# Was Peter's

Action Item updates

Membership fee waiver process

The Board currently decides on membership applications for a fee waiver due to financial need on a case-by-case basis. Many applications that reach the board have insufficient information, either about the contributions of the applicants (both mapping and non-mapping) to the project or about the applicant's financial situation.
Lead: Joost

Communicating decisions back to Working Groups

When the board makes a decision on a matter at a Working Group's request or that needs to go back to a WG, we have no clear responsibility for communicating that decision back to them. Recent examples include the Spanish attribution and asking the MWG to handle GlobalLogic membership cancellations. In neither case did the board officially inform the WG of the decision.
Lead: Paul

Advisory Board - monthly update

The Advisory Board members are separate from the OSMF board of directors - individuals are either nominated by Corporate Members of the OSMF or invited directly by the OSMF board of directors. The OSMF Board of Directors will publicly minute, in the board meeting minutes, any communication sent to, or received from, the AB members. This monthly section is reserved for this purpose. Overview.

AB related updates and board discussions:
2019 Jan

2018 Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Dec
2017 Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May (F2F), Oct

Any other business

Guest comments or questions

Guests are welcome to speak at the end of the meeting on the topics that have been discussed. Please note that text messages sent on Mumble chat may not be seen by people who join using mobile apps.

Next meeting

Meetings take place on the 3rd Wednesday of the month, at 19:00 London time, unless rescheduled.
The next monthly board meeting will be on the 17th of April, at 19:00 London time, unless rescheduled.

Meeting end

Acronyms