Difference between revisions of "Board/Minutes/2019-03-20"

From OpenStreetMap Foundation
m (+ Board members' presence, acceptance of previous minutes)
Line 9: Line 9:
 
<div style="margin:2px 0;border:1px solid #9B9;background:#EFE;color:#000;padding:2px .5em;text-align:center">
 
<div style="margin:2px 0;border:1px solid #9B9;background:#EFE;color:#000;padding:2px .5em;text-align:center">
   
<font color="red">Minutes to be added.</font><br>
+
<font color="red">Draft Minutes</font><br>
   
 
Location: Channel "OSMF Board of Directors (Public)" on [https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mumble Mumble].<br>
 
Location: Channel "OSMF Board of Directors (Public)" on [https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mumble Mumble].<br>
Line 63: Line 63:
 
|-
 
|-
 
|style="text-align: left; background: white;" | <span style="color: black;">
 
|style="text-align: left; background: white;" | <span style="color: black;">
''Voting period ends on 25th of March. Votes so far: <br>
 
  +
'''Accepted''' on 25th of March with '''7 votes in favour: '''Tobias Knerr, Mikel Maron, Kate Chapman, Paul Norman, Frederik Ramm, Joost Schouppe, Heather Leson <br></span>
'''6 votes in favour: '''Tobias Knerr, Mikel Maron, Kate Chapman, Paul Norman, Frederik Ramm, Joost Schouppe <br>
 
'''1 not voted: '''Heather Leson <br></span>
 
 
|}
 
|}
   
Line 149: Line 147:
 
| to [[Board/Minutes/2018-04-19#FOSS_Policy| document]] the evaluation process of software and services used by the OSMF. Related to our FOSS policy.
 
| to [[Board/Minutes/2018-04-19#FOSS_Policy| document]] the evaluation process of software and services used by the OSMF. Related to our FOSS policy.
 
|-
 
|-
| Paul
 
  +
| <s><font color="blue">Paul</font>
| 2017-02-21
+
| <s><font color="blue">2017-02-21</font>
| to separate the State of the Map (SotM) [[Board/Minutes/2017-02-21#SotM_net_profit| net profit]] discussion items and start the follow-up discussions.
+
| <s><font color="blue">to separate the State of the Map (SotM) [[Board/Minutes/2017-02-21#SotM_net_profit| net profit]] discussion items and start the follow-up discussions.</s></font> <br> <font color="blue">''# Dropped.''</font>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Paul
 
| Paul
Line 159: Line 157:
 
|}
 
|}
   
== Action Item updates ==
 
  +
=== Administrative update ===
  +
  +
Paul is moving to new map-related job with Amazon. Will have Conflicts of Interest related to paid editing and anything that Amazon competes with, such as cloud services.
  +
  +
{| style="color: grey; background-color: #d3d3d3;
  +
<span style="font-size:88%"> '''Topics''': [[#Membership_fee_waiver_process|Fee waiver process]] | [[#Communicating_decisions_back_to_Working_Groups|Communicating decisions to WGs]] | [[#Advisory_Board_-_monthly_update|AB update]] | '''AOB''': [[#Permission_request_for_images_to_be_published_in_monthly_scientific_journal|Permission for images in journal]] | [[#Face-to-Face_meeting|F2F]]</span>
  +
|}
   
 
== Membership fee waiver process ==
 
== Membership fee waiver process ==
 
{| class="wikitable"
 
{| class="wikitable"
 
|-
 
|-
| ''The Board currently decides on membership applications for a fee waiver due to financial need on a case-by-case basis. Many applications that reach the board have insufficient information, either about the contributions of the applicants (both mapping and non-mapping) to the project or about the applicant's financial situation.''
 
  +
|'' The Membership fee waiver program is based on the [[Board_Meeting_Minutes_2014-10-14| board resolution]] and the subsequent vote at the [[Annual_General_Meetings/14| 2014 Annual General Meeting]]. The plan was for people to be able to apply through the fee waiver program for an associate membership, if paying the fee constitutes an unreasonable burden to the member because of 1) lack of a suitable money transfer facility or 2) due to financial hardship. The [[Membership_Working_Group|Membership Working Group]] (MWG) created the terms for inability to transfer money but it took a long time to implement the forms for that.''
  +
  +
''Regarding the waivers due to financial need the priority was raised, as some people started to email the board directly after suggestions on mailing lists , prior to an implementation of a program about them. Currently these applications go through the MWG to the board, which decides on such applications on a case-by-case basis. Many applications that reach the board have insufficient information, either about the contributions of the applicants (both mapping and non-mapping) to the project or about the applicant's financial situation.''
  +
  +
''The form to apply for a fee waiver is at [https://join.osmfoundation.org/fee-waiver-program join.osmfoundation.org/fee-waiver-program].''
 
|-
 
|-
 
| ''Lead: Joost''
 
| ''Lead: Joost''
  +
|}
  +
  +
''Discussion about the fee waiver applications due to financial need.''
  +
  +
Suggestions by various board members:
  +
* Give input to the [[Membership_Working_Group|Membership Working Group]] (MWG).
  +
* Ask the MWG to put together a more structured process, including some more detail in the [https://join.osmfoundation.org/fee-waiver-program fee waiver application form].
  +
* Create a different membership level without voting rights, for people who just want to donate recurrently GBP 15.
  +
* Continue to review incoming requests and have some internal board discussion to align opinions on criteria.
  +
* Continue to review incoming requests and each board member decides how to judge them, till we have a policy.
  +
* Suggest that current pre-screening of applications for financial need by MWG ensures that there is input on both of the aspects of OSM contributions and financial need.
  +
* Add this topic to the Face-to-Face board meeting agenda.
  +
  +
There seemed to be agreement that board members will take the applicants' supplied information at word and will not require proof of financial hardship.
  +
  +
<u>MWG input</u> ''(provided by Guillaume Rischard)''
  +
* The MWG plans to split the [https://join.osmfoundation.org/fee-waiver-program/ fee waiver application form] into two fields and ask the applicants to provide information about mapping and about hardship separately.
  +
* 35 fee waiver members so far, from 11 countries.
  +
  +
<u>Decision</u>: The board to ask the MWG to come up with more formal process regarding the fee waivers due to financial need.
  +
  +
{| style="color: grey; background-color: #d3d3d3;
  +
<span style="font-size:88%"> '''Topics''': [[#Membership_fee_waiver_process|Fee waiver process]] | [[#Communicating_decisions_back_to_Working_Groups|Communicating decisions to WGs]] | [[#Advisory_Board_-_monthly_update|AB update]] | '''AOB''': [[#Permission_request_for_images_to_be_published_in_monthly_scientific_journal|Permission for images in journal]] | [[#Face-to-Face_meeting|F2F]]</span>
 
|}
 
|}
   
Line 177: Line 208:
 
|}
 
|}
   
<font color="red">Minutes to be added.</font>
 
  +
<u>Suggestions</u>
  +
* Set timelines. If a board member wants to proceed with some action, give 3-4 days advance notice to the rest of the board members, during which they can raise objections.
  +
* Create circulars (viewed as overkill by some board members).
  +
  +
'''Tracking issues'''
  +
* Currently, the Action Items in the board meeting minutes reflect only items raised during the monthly board meetings.
  +
* Not all board members use Github.
  +
* [[StateoftheMap_Organizing_Committee|State of the Map working group]] and [[Operations_Working_Group| Operations working group]] use github - which is not open source.
  +
  +
<u>Decisions</u>
  +
* The board decided to flag decisions that need to be communicated to [[Working_Groups|Working Groups]] or the membership ''(these will be communicated by Dorothea)''.
  +
* Move any existing board tickets from Github to [https://about.gitlab.com/ Gitlab].
  +
'' ''
  +
{| style="color: grey; background-color: #d3d3d3;
  +
<span style="font-size:88%"> '''Topics''': [[#Membership_fee_waiver_process|Fee waiver process]] | [[#Communicating_decisions_back_to_Working_Groups|Communicating decisions to WGs]] | [[#Advisory_Board_-_monthly_update|AB update]] | '''AOB''': [[#Permission_request_for_images_to_be_published_in_monthly_scientific_journal|Permission for images in journal]] | [[#Face-to-Face_meeting|F2F]]</span>
  +
|}
   
 
== Advisory Board - monthly update ==
 
== Advisory Board - monthly update ==
Line 190: Line 236:
 
|}
 
|}
   
<font color="red">Minutes to be added.</font>
 
  +
* The new Microsoft representative is Harsh Govind. ''(post-meeting addition)''
  +
* Rob Nickerson ([https://osmuk.org/ OSM-UK], UK [[Local_Chapters|Local Chapter]] representative) had questions about Getmapping imagery and London venues for the OSM-UK annual general meeting.
  +
'' ''
  +
{| style="color: grey; background-color: #d3d3d3;
  +
<span style="font-size:88%"> '''Topics''': [[#Membership_fee_waiver_process|Fee waiver process]] | [[#Communicating_decisions_back_to_Working_Groups|Communicating decisions to WGs]] | [[#Advisory_Board_-_monthly_update|AB update]] | '''AOB''': [[#Permission_request_for_images_to_be_published_in_monthly_scientific_journal|Permission for images in journal]] | [[#Face-to-Face_meeting|F2F]]</span>
  +
|}
   
 
== Any other business ==
 
== Any other business ==
  +
  +
=== Permission request for images to be published in monthly scientific journal ===
  +
''Background: The board has received via the [[Licensing_Working_Group|Licensing Working Group]] (LWG) a request to sign a release form for three images to be published in Nature Ecology and Evolution. Just one of the images has osm.org tiles, which are currently licensed under CC-BY-SA. The second one is a satellite image and the third looks like ESRI produced cartography and OSM is one of the sources.''
  +
  +
* A few such requests per month. Many of these requests ask for signing a form which indemnifies the senders, which we can't do.
  +
* Usually these requests are not brought to board's attention.
  +
  +
<u>Decisions</u>
  +
* Quick solution about this specific request. Frederik or Paul could recreate the image.
  +
* Ask the LWG ''(assigned to Dorothea)'' to make a proposal regarding the licencing of the osm.org tiles.
  +
'' ''
  +
{| style="color: grey; background-color: #d3d3d3;
  +
<span style="font-size:88%"> '''Topics''': [[#Membership_fee_waiver_process|Fee waiver process]] | [[#Communicating_decisions_back_to_Working_Groups|Communicating decisions to WGs]] | [[#Advisory_Board_-_monthly_update|AB update]] | '''AOB''': [[#Permission_request_for_images_to_be_published_in_monthly_scientific_journal|Permission for images in journal]] | [[#Face-to-Face_meeting|F2F]]</span>
  +
|}
  +
  +
=== Face-to-Face meeting ===
  +
'' Background: The board will have a face-to-face meeting in May.''
  +
  +
* Room: booked by Joost at Brussels' central railway station. Allen Gunn / Gunner (facilitator) is ok with the place.<br>
  +
* Hotel: will be booked centrally ''(assigned to Dorothea)''.
  +
* Facilitator: Mikel and Paul have talked to Gunner. Heather and Joost have scheduled meetings with him.
  +
  +
<u>Suggestion:</u> Have a draft agenda or something to share with the community by the next board meeting.
  +
  +
'''Action Item:''' Kate to follow up with Gunner.
  +
  +
{| style="color: grey; background-color: #d3d3d3;
  +
<span style="font-size:88%"> '''Topics''': [[#Membership_fee_waiver_process|Fee waiver process]] | [[#Communicating_decisions_back_to_Working_Groups|Communicating decisions to WGs]] | [[#Advisory_Board_-_monthly_update|AB update]] | '''AOB''': [[#Permission_request_for_images_to_be_published_in_monthly_scientific_journal|Permission for images in journal]] | [[#Face-to-Face_meeting|F2F]]</span>
  +
|}
   
 
== Guest comments or questions ==
 
== Guest comments or questions ==
 
''Guests are welcome to speak at the end of the meeting on the topics that have been discussed. Please note that text messages sent on Mumble chat may not be seen by people who join using mobile apps. ''
 
''Guests are welcome to speak at the end of the meeting on the topics that have been discussed. Please note that text messages sent on Mumble chat may not be seen by people who join using mobile apps. ''
  +
  +
''No questions or comments.''
   
 
== Next meeting ==
 
== Next meeting ==

Revision as of 23:23, 28 March 2019

The EU Copyright Directive threatens OpenStreetMap and the freedom on the internet we used have. Please join the protest:

osm.de page containing explanation about the harm to OpenStreetMap

Draft Minutes

Location: Channel "OSMF Board of Directors (Public)" on Mumble.
Date and time: Wednesday, 20th of March at 19:00 London time.
Countdown

US and Canada: please note that time is currently DST adjusted in most of the US and Canada, while not yet DST adjusted in most other countries. The links above can show the local times.

Participants

Board members

  • Kate Chapman
  • Heather Leson
  • Tobias Knerr
  • Mikel Maron
  • Paul Norman
  • Joost Schouppe

Biographies

Guests

  • 7 guests

Open to all OSMF members.

Guests are welcome to speak at the end of the meeting on the topics that have been discussed. Please note that text messages sent on Mumble chat may not be seen by people who join using mobile apps.

Not Present

  • Frederik Ramm (Apologies)

Administrative

Previous minutes

Circular Resolutions

2019/Res14 Allow attribution on osm.org/copyright page

Allow the Spanish national mapping agency attribution on osm.org/copyright, with the understanding that attribution may be moved in the future.

Accepted 2019-03-02 with 6 votes in favour: Kate Chapman, Joost Schouppe, Tobias Knerr, Mikel Maron, Paul Norman, Frederik Ramm
1 not voted: Heather Leson

2019/Res15 Add a banner about the EU Copyright Directive to osm.org

The European Parliament is expected to vote on the Copyright Directive next week. Other organizations relying on open user-generated content, including our German local chapter, have already taken a stand against the directive – in particular the controversial article 13. OpenStreetMap should join them by adding a protest banner to the openstreetmap.org website. OWG will be asked to handle the necessary steps for implementing the banner.

Accepted on 25th of March with 7 votes in favour: Tobias Knerr, Mikel Maron, Kate Chapman, Paul Norman, Frederik Ramm, Joost Schouppe, Heather Leson

Previous action items

The list is sortable and collapsible. New items or updates are in blue.

Name Date Action item and status
All 2018-03-15 to send a reminder about etiquette guidelines on osmf-talk, talk & facebook page.
All 2018-02-15 to clean-up the SotM draft policy document.
All 2017-11-16 to send an email to members, months in advance of the 2018 Annual General Meeting, encouraging them to discuss and perhaps propose their own resolutions.
Frederik 2019-02-20 Frederik to create a circular about accepting the proposed budget. Once accepted, the budget will be put up on the OSMF website.
Frederik 2018-12-20 to remind the GDPR tech. implementation call on mailing lists after the 7th of January.
Frederik 2018-09-20 to update Roland Olbricht, maintainer of the Overpass API (downstream data controller).
Frederik/Paul 2016-05-28 to prepare transparency document from transparency session.
Heather 2018-12-20 to draft email to start off discussion on the osmf-talk mailing list about developing guidance for our involvement in politics/activism.
# Was Peter's. Assigned to Heather on 2018-12-20.
Heather 2018-06-21 to initiate discussion on the osmf-talk mailing list about refining the Local Chapter criteria.
# Suggested period for discussion: two weeks. Was Martijn's. Assigned to Heather on 2018-12-20.
Kate 2019-02-20 Kate to follow up regarding GlobalLogic and co-ordinate with Heather about what to do.
Kate 2019-02-20 Kate to loop the board with Gunner (facilitator).
# Done.
Kate 2018-12-20 to write to the Data Working Group to see if there's anything further the board can do to support them.
Kate 2018-02-15 to follow up with Grant about the technical workaround of having conference announcement banners on osm.org linked to landing pages on the website.
Kate 2018-01-18 to update the etiquette and add a reporting plan.
Mikel/Paul 2018-03-15 to look at the ten most active mailing lists and see if people listed as admins are active in the moderator role, what is in place, and how they manage the lists.
# 2018-05-24 Mikel drafted email and both agreed on some modifications.
Mikel 2016-08-19 to send round bullet points on diversity policy proposal.
Paul 2019-02-20 Paul to create a circular regarding attribution of the Spanish national mapping agency on osm.org/copyright page (initially assigned to Dorothea).
# Done.
Paul 2018-04-19 to document the evaluation process of software and services used by the OSMF. Related to our FOSS policy.
Paul 2017-02-21 to separate the State of the Map (SotM) net profit discussion items and start the follow-up discussions.
# Dropped.
Paul 2016-10-28 to create a page on the wiki, listing software products which are used by OSMF and are closed-source and/or are externally hosted.
# Was Peter's

Administrative update

Paul is moving to new map-related job with Amazon. Will have Conflicts of Interest related to paid editing and anything that Amazon competes with, such as cloud services.

Topics: Fee waiver process | Communicating decisions to WGs | AB update | AOB: Permission for images in journal | F2F

Membership fee waiver process

The Membership fee waiver program is based on the board resolution and the subsequent vote at the 2014 Annual General Meeting. The plan was for people to be able to apply through the fee waiver program for an associate membership, if paying the fee constitutes an unreasonable burden to the member because of 1) lack of a suitable money transfer facility or 2) due to financial hardship. The Membership Working Group (MWG) created the terms for inability to transfer money but it took a long time to implement the forms for that.

Regarding the waivers due to financial need the priority was raised, as some people started to email the board directly after suggestions on mailing lists , prior to an implementation of a program about them. Currently these applications go through the MWG to the board, which decides on such applications on a case-by-case basis. Many applications that reach the board have insufficient information, either about the contributions of the applicants (both mapping and non-mapping) to the project or about the applicant's financial situation.

The form to apply for a fee waiver is at join.osmfoundation.org/fee-waiver-program.

Lead: Joost

Discussion about the fee waiver applications due to financial need.

Suggestions by various board members:

  • Give input to the Membership Working Group (MWG).
  • Ask the MWG to put together a more structured process, including some more detail in the fee waiver application form.
  • Create a different membership level without voting rights, for people who just want to donate recurrently GBP 15.
  • Continue to review incoming requests and have some internal board discussion to align opinions on criteria.
  • Continue to review incoming requests and each board member decides how to judge them, till we have a policy.
  • Suggest that current pre-screening of applications for financial need by MWG ensures that there is input on both of the aspects of OSM contributions and financial need.
  • Add this topic to the Face-to-Face board meeting agenda.

There seemed to be agreement that board members will take the applicants' supplied information at word and will not require proof of financial hardship.

MWG input (provided by Guillaume Rischard)

  • The MWG plans to split the fee waiver application form into two fields and ask the applicants to provide information about mapping and about hardship separately.
  • 35 fee waiver members so far, from 11 countries.

Decision: The board to ask the MWG to come up with more formal process regarding the fee waivers due to financial need.

Topics: Fee waiver process | Communicating decisions to WGs | AB update | AOB: Permission for images in journal | F2F

Communicating decisions back to Working Groups

When the board makes a decision on a matter at a Working Group's request or that needs to go back to a WG, we have no clear responsibility for communicating that decision back to them. Recent examples include the Spanish attribution and asking the MWG to handle GlobalLogic membership cancellations. In neither case did the board officially inform the WG of the decision.
Lead: Paul

Suggestions

  • Set timelines. If a board member wants to proceed with some action, give 3-4 days advance notice to the rest of the board members, during which they can raise objections.
  • Create circulars (viewed as overkill by some board members).

Tracking issues

Decisions

  • The board decided to flag decisions that need to be communicated to Working Groups or the membership (these will be communicated by Dorothea).
  • Move any existing board tickets from Github to Gitlab.

Topics: Fee waiver process | Communicating decisions to WGs | AB update | AOB: Permission for images in journal | F2F

Advisory Board - monthly update

The Advisory Board members are separate from the OSMF board of directors - individuals are either nominated by Corporate Members of the OSMF or invited directly by the OSMF board of directors. The OSMF Board of Directors will publicly minute, in the board meeting minutes, any communication sent to, or received from, the AB members. This monthly section is reserved for this purpose. Overview.

AB related updates and board discussions:
2019 Jan

2018 Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Dec
2017 Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May (F2F), Oct

  • The new Microsoft representative is Harsh Govind. (post-meeting addition)
  • Rob Nickerson (OSM-UK, UK Local Chapter representative) had questions about Getmapping imagery and London venues for the OSM-UK annual general meeting.

Topics: Fee waiver process | Communicating decisions to WGs | AB update | AOB: Permission for images in journal | F2F

Any other business

Permission request for images to be published in monthly scientific journal

Background: The board has received via the Licensing Working Group (LWG) a request to sign a release form for three images to be published in Nature Ecology and Evolution. Just one of the images has osm.org tiles, which are currently licensed under CC-BY-SA. The second one is a satellite image and the third looks like ESRI produced cartography and OSM is one of the sources.

  • A few such requests per month. Many of these requests ask for signing a form which indemnifies the senders, which we can't do.
  • Usually these requests are not brought to board's attention.

Decisions

  • Quick solution about this specific request. Frederik or Paul could recreate the image.
  • Ask the LWG (assigned to Dorothea) to make a proposal regarding the licencing of the osm.org tiles.

Topics: Fee waiver process | Communicating decisions to WGs | AB update | AOB: Permission for images in journal | F2F

Face-to-Face meeting

Background: The board will have a face-to-face meeting in May.

  • Room: booked by Joost at Brussels' central railway station. Allen Gunn / Gunner (facilitator) is ok with the place.
  • Hotel: will be booked centrally (assigned to Dorothea).
  • Facilitator: Mikel and Paul have talked to Gunner. Heather and Joost have scheduled meetings with him.

Suggestion: Have a draft agenda or something to share with the community by the next board meeting.

Action Item: Kate to follow up with Gunner.

Topics: Fee waiver process | Communicating decisions to WGs | AB update | AOB: Permission for images in journal | F2F

Guest comments or questions

Guests are welcome to speak at the end of the meeting on the topics that have been discussed. Please note that text messages sent on Mumble chat may not be seen by people who join using mobile apps.

No questions or comments.

Next meeting

Meetings take place on the 3rd Wednesday of the month, at 19:00 London time, unless rescheduled.
The next monthly board meeting will be on the 17th of April, at 19:00 London time, unless rescheduled.

Meeting end

Acronyms