Board/Minutes/2019-06-19

From OpenStreetMap Foundation
Revision as of 15:45, 18 June 2019 by Dorothea (talk | contribs) (Asking OWG their views on Andy's infrastructure thoughts: +1 char)

Draft agenda.

Location: Channel "OSMF Board of Directors (Public)" on Mumble.
Date and time: 19th of June, at 19:00 London time.
Countdown

Participants

Board members

Biographies

Guests

Open to all OSMF members.

Guests are welcome to speak at the end of the meeting on the topics that have been discussed. Please note that text messages sent on Mumble chat may not be seen by people who join using mobile apps.

Not Present

Administrative

Previous minutes

Circular Resolutions

Board_Rules_of_Order#7._Circular_Resolutions

None.

Previous action items

The list is sortable and collapsible. New items or updates are in blue.

Name Date Action item and status
Frederik 2019-02-20 to create a circular about accepting the proposed budget. Once accepted, the budget will be put up on the OSMF website.
Frederik 2018-12-20 to remind the GDPR tech. implementation call on mailing lists after the 7th of January.
# No takers in OSM. Frederik has started to slowly work on the changes - which require other changes to be implemented first, so it might be difficult for outsider to give estimate of cost required. Frederik and Heather to schedule a call and invite other interested board members (done).
Frederik 2018-09-20 to update Roland Olbricht, maintainer of the Overpass API (downstream data controller).
Heather 2018-12-20 to draft email to start off discussion on the osmf-talk mailing list about developing guidance for our involvement in politics/activism.
# Was Peter's. Assigned to Heather on 2018-12-20.
Joost 2018-06-21 to initiate discussion on the osmf-talk mailing list about refining the Local Chapter criteria.
# Suggested period for discussion: two weeks. Was Martijn's. Assigned to Heather on 2018-12-20. Transferred to Joost on 2019-04-24
Kate 2019-03-20< to follow-up with Gunner (facilitator), regarding the face-to-face board meeting.
# Done.
Kate 2018-12-20 to write to the Data Working Group to see if there's anything further the board can do to support them.
Kate 2018-02-15 to follow up with Grant about the technical workaround of having conference announcement banners on osm.org linked to landing pages on the website.
Kate 2018-01-18 to update the etiquette and add a reporting plan.
Mikel/Paul 2018-03-15 to look at the ten most active mailing lists and see if people listed as admins are active in the moderator role, what is in place, and how they manage the lists.
# 2018-05-24 Mikel drafted email and both agreed on some modifications.
Paul 2019-04-24 to contact Gunner to get the community survey about the 2019 face-to-face board meeting topics set-up.
# Done.
Paul 2018-04-19 to document the evaluation process of software and services used by the OSMF. Related to our FOSS policy.
Paul 2016-10-28 to create a page on the wiki, listing software products which are used by OSMF and are closed-source and/or are externally hosted.
# Was Peter's

Action item updates

Local Chapters - keeping track of development

The Local Chapter Agreement lists several requirements, both for the Local Chapters, as well as for the Foundation. E.g.:
  • Article 9.1 - Each LC is required to supply a annual report to the Foundation within 18 months after a local chapter year ended.
  • Article 8.2. - Each LC is required to inform the Foundation of any planned or actual change in the by-laws, status, number of members or other important changes (article 8.2).

Discussion about:

  • FOSSGIS request for its 2019 report to be shared by the board with the membership.
  • Monitoring annual reports.
  • Notifications to board about any changes of bylaws (Recent example: OSM Italia (updated bylaws in Italian) - notification was sent to the -currently inactive- LC Working Group).
Lead: Tobias

Supporting regional SotMs through the OSMF ticket sales system

Enquiry from team planning State of the Map (SotM) Africa about whether they can use the same platform that OSMF uses to sell their tickets.
  • We self-host and use CiviCRM, both to manage the membership database and SotM ticket sales.
  • With CiviCRM only paypal/credit card payments are supported. No wire-transfer support.
  • As we self host CiviCRM, attendees do not have to pay an extra fee for the ticketing platform, just the Paypal fee.

Alternative for LCs:

Lead: Heather

Next steps on pre-SotM survey

During the recent face-to-face meeting the board discussed about surveying the membership/community. Discussion about next steps on a pre-SotM survey.
Lead: Mikel

Recommendation by LWG on a future "tile-licence"

The OSMF Board had tasked the Licensing Working Group to evaluate the licence of the map tile style (cartography) for the default map at openstreetmap.org and to recommend whether it should be changed from CC BY-SA 2.0, and if so, what the new licence should be. The LWG recommends changing to CC BY 4.0 together with a waiver of the terms on restrictions due to Effective Technological Measures for downstream recipients and getting community comments before actually re-licensing.
Lead: Paul

Asking OWG their views on Andy's infrastructure thoughts

Andy Allan has written a post on the OSMF infrastructure and the board is thinking to ask the views of the Operations Working Group (OWG) on the points mentioned. Andy was part of the OWG since before it was even called that, and in May 2019 he stepped down to concentrate on other OpenStreetMap projects.
Lead: Mikel

Advisory Board - monthly update

The Advisory Board members are separate from the OSMF board of directors - individuals are either nominated by Corporate Members of the OSMF or invited directly by the OSMF board of directors. The OSMF Board of Directors will publicly minute, in the board meeting minutes, any communication sent to, or received from, the AB members. This monthly section is reserved for this purpose. Overview.

AB related updates and board discussions:
2019 Jan, Mar

2018 Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Dec
2017 Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May (F2F), Oct

Lead: Heather

Any other business

Guest comments or questions

Guests are welcome to speak at the end of the meeting on the topics that have been discussed. Please note that text messages sent on Mumble chat may not be seen by people who join using mobile apps.

Next meeting

Meetings take place on the 3rd Wednesday of the month, at 19:00 London time, unless rescheduled.
The next monthly board meeting will be on the 17th of July, at 19:00 London time, unless rescheduled.

Meeting end

Acronyms