Difference between revisions of "Board/Minutes/2019-07-17"

From OpenStreetMap Foundation
(+topic "Contacting Telenav about transfer of openstreetcam domain" and addition of some F2F action items)
(+ draft minutes)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
<div style="margin:2px 0;border:1px solid #9B9;background:#EFE;color:#000;padding:2px .5em;text-align:center">
 
<div style="margin:2px 0;border:1px solid #9B9;background:#EFE;color:#000;padding:2px .5em;text-align:center">
   
<font color="red">Draft agenda.</font><br>
+
<font color="red">Draft minutes.</font><br>
   
 
Location: Channel "OSMF Board of Directors (Public)" on [https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mumble Mumble].<br>
 
Location: Channel "OSMF Board of Directors (Public)" on [https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mumble Mumble].<br>
Line 10: Line 10:
   
 
=== Board members ===
 
=== Board members ===
  +
* Joost Schouppe
  +
* Paul Norman
  +
* Kate Chapman
  +
* Tobias Knerr
  +
* Mikel Maron
  +
* Frederik Ramm
   
 
[https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/w/index.php?title=Board_Member_Bios&oldid=5992 Biographies]
 
[https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/w/index.php?title=Board_Member_Bios&oldid=5992 Biographies]
   
 
=== Guests ===
 
=== Guests ===
  +
  +
* 4 guests.
   
 
Open to all OSMF members.
 
Open to all OSMF members.
Line 25: Line 33:
   
 
===Previous minutes===
 
===Previous minutes===
* [[Board/Minutes/2019-06-19]]
+
* [[Board/Minutes/2019-06-19]] Accepted
   
 
=== Circular Resolutions ===
 
=== Circular Resolutions ===
Line 129: Line 137:
 
| <s><font color="blue"> [[Board/Minutes/2019-06-19#Asking_OWG_their_views_on_Andy.27s_infrastructure_thoughts| to update]] the email to the OWG.</s> <br>''# Done.''</font>
 
| <s><font color="blue"> [[Board/Minutes/2019-06-19#Asking_OWG_their_views_on_Andy.27s_infrastructure_thoughts| to update]] the email to the OWG.</s> <br>''# Done.''</font>
 
|-
 
|-
  +
|}
  +
  +
{| style="color: grey; background-color: #d3d3d3;
  +
<span style="font-size:88%"> '''Topics''': [[#Supporting_SotM-Africa_through_the_OSMF_ticket_sales_system|Supporting SotM Africa]] | [[#Contacting_Telenav_about_transfer_of_openstreetcam_domain| openstreetcam domain]] | [[#Advisory_Board_-_monthly_update|AB]] | '''AOB''': [[#Reminder_about_the_agenda_publishing_deadline| Agenda deadline reminder]] | [[#Question_about_action_item_.22criteria_to_become_a_Local_Chapter.22| LC criteria question]] | [[#Communicating_about_the_membership_fee-waiver_program| Fee waiver comms.]] | '''Members''': [[#Comment_about_extending_the_fee_waiver_program | Fee waiver extension]] | [[#Comment_about_the_lack_of_a_reason_being_provided_for_the_first_closed_session_topic| Closed session reason]] | '''Closed''': [[#Board_seats_available_at_the_next_election| Board seats]] | [[#Administrative_Assistant.27s_contract| Admin. Assist. contract]]</span>
 
|}
 
|}
   
Line 134: Line 146:
 
{| class="wikitable"
 
{| class="wikitable"
 
|-
 
|-
| ''Enquiry from team planning [https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/State_Of_The_Map State of the Map] (SotM) Africa about whether they can use the same platform that OSMF uses to sell their tickets. Their issue is not technical, but that they are looking for an organisation which could handle ticket invoicing "in the name of SotM Africa". If the board agrees to manage the financial part of ticket selling, Christine Karch ([[StateoftheMap_Organizing_Committee|SotM WG]] lead) volunteered for the configuration of the SotM Africa in CiviCRM.
+
| ''Enquiry from team planning [https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/State_Of_The_Map State of the Map] (SotM) Africa about whether they can use the same platform that OSMF uses to sell their tickets. Their issue is not technical, but that they are looking for an organisation which could handle ticket invoicing "in the name of SotM Africa". If the board agrees to manage the financial part of ticket selling, Christine Karch ([[StateoftheMap_Organizing_Committee|SotM WG]] lead) volunteered for the configuration of the SotM Africa in [https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Foundation/CiviCRM CiviCRM].
   
 
''<u>Information supplied by SotM Africa Team</u>''<br>
 
''<u>Information supplied by SotM Africa Team</u>''<br>
Line 144: Line 156:
 
''Related board discussion: [[Board/Minutes/2019-06-19#Supporting_regional_SotMs_through_the_OSMF_ticket_sales_system| 2019 June]]''
 
''Related board discussion: [[Board/Minutes/2019-06-19#Supporting_regional_SotMs_through_the_OSMF_ticket_sales_system| 2019 June]]''
 
|-
 
|-
| ''Lead: Heather''
 
  +
|}
  +
  +
* We should be careful not to set wrong example.
  +
* We can provide help with the SotM quick licence form.
  +
  +
=== Workload ===
  +
{| class="wikitable"
  +
! Task
  +
! Person
  +
|-
  +
| Configuring CiviCRM
  +
| Christine
  +
|-
  +
| Support with payment problems
  +
| We can give read access to CiviCRM - signed [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/w/images/b/b9/Draft_NDA_version_20180911.pdf non-disclosure agreement] needed
  +
|-
  +
| Providing discount codes
  +
|
  +
|-
  +
| Manually signing-up people if they paid by bank transfer ''(post-meeting addition)''
  +
|
  +
|-
  +
|}
  +
  +
=== Possible issues to be addressed ===
  +
* Trademark policy - ask for signed [[SOTM_Quick_Licence| SotM quick licence]].
  +
* GDPR issues: ask for signed [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/w/images/b/b9/Draft_NDA_version_20180911.pdf non-disclosure agreement] by whoever gets read access to [https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Foundation/CiviCRM CiviCRM].
  +
* Financial:
  +
** make it clear that they are responsible for dealing with issues like VAT registration ''(if applicable)''.
  +
** we would need an invoice from them.
  +
  +
=== Next steps ===
  +
Discussion and circular.
  +
  +
<u>Decision</u>: Dorothea to share notes with the board and one of the board members to volunteer for drafting a [[Board_Rules_of_Order#7._Circular_Resolutions|circular resolution]].
  +
  +
{| style="color: grey; background-color: #d3d3d3;
  +
<span style="font-size:88%"> '''Topics''': [[#Supporting_SotM-Africa_through_the_OSMF_ticket_sales_system|Supporting SotM Africa]] | [[#Contacting_Telenav_about_transfer_of_openstreetcam_domain| openstreetcam domain]] | [[#Advisory_Board_-_monthly_update|AB]] | '''AOB''': [[#Reminder_about_the_agenda_publishing_deadline| Agenda deadline reminder]] | [[#Question_about_action_item_.22criteria_to_become_a_Local_Chapter.22| LC criteria question]] | [[#Communicating_about_the_membership_fee-waiver_program| Fee waiver comms.]] | '''Members''': [[#Comment_about_extending_the_fee_waiver_program | Fee waiver extension]] | [[#Comment_about_the_lack_of_a_reason_being_provided_for_the_first_closed_session_topic| Closed session reason]] | '''Closed''': [[#Board_seats_available_at_the_next_election| Board seats]] | [[#Administrative_Assistant.27s_contract| Admin. Assist. contract]]</span>
 
|}
 
|}
   
Line 150: Line 199:
 
{| class="wikitable"
 
{| class="wikitable"
 
|-
 
|-
| ''The board has received a request from the [[/Licensing_Working_Group| Licencing Working Group]] to contact Telenav about he transfer of the openstreetcam.org domain to the OSMF, or at least enter an agreement in which the domain and any other rights to the name are transferred to the OSMF in the case that the current scope of the OSC project significantly changes from contributing to OSM.''
+
| ''The board has received a request from the [[Licensing_Working_Group| Licencing Working Group]] (LWG) to contact Telenav about he transfer of the openstreetcam.org domain to the OSMF, or at least enter an agreement in which the domain and any other rights to the name are transferred to the OSMF in the case that the current scope of the OSC project significantly changes from contributing to OSM.''
 
|-
 
|-
  +
|}
  +
  +
Points mentioned during discussion:
  +
* Not following through on the Trademark Policy would mean losing any rights - necessity, even if people in Telenav have been nice to us in the past.
  +
* LWG has a member that works for Telenav but better for the request to be more official.
  +
* openweathermap case was mentioned (no longer open).
  +
* Cases in past before trademark policy are eligible for our grandfathering scheme ''([https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Project_Licence_and_Domain_Grandfathering_Application template application])''. # C''omment that the name change to OpenStreetCam was after the Trademark policy.''
  +
* The board should enquire if there are other similar cases that it needs to look into.
  +
  +
<u>Decision</u>: The board to contact Telenav.
  +
  +
'''Action Item:''' Frederik to email the [[Licensing_Working_Group| Licensing Working Group]] and ask them if there other similar cases that the board should look into and possibly provide points from previous discussions on the same topic.
   
  +
{| style="color: grey; background-color: #d3d3d3;
  +
<span style="font-size:88%"> '''Topics''': [[#Supporting_SotM-Africa_through_the_OSMF_ticket_sales_system|Supporting SotM Africa]] | [[#Contacting_Telenav_about_transfer_of_openstreetcam_domain| openstreetcam domain]] | [[#Advisory_Board_-_monthly_update|AB]] | '''AOB''': [[#Reminder_about_the_agenda_publishing_deadline| Agenda deadline reminder]] | [[#Question_about_action_item_.22criteria_to_become_a_Local_Chapter.22| LC criteria question]] | [[#Communicating_about_the_membership_fee-waiver_program| Fee waiver comms.]] | '''Members''': [[#Comment_about_extending_the_fee_waiver_program | Fee waiver extension]] | [[#Comment_about_the_lack_of_a_reason_being_provided_for_the_first_closed_session_topic| Closed session reason]] | '''Closed''': [[#Board_seats_available_at_the_next_election| Board seats]] | [[#Administrative_Assistant.27s_contract| Admin. Assist. contract]]</span>
 
|}
 
|}
   
Line 164: Line 227:
 
''2017 [[Board/Minutes/2017-01-17#Setting_up_the_Advisory_Board| Jan]], [[Board/Minutes/2017-02-21#Advisory_Board_-_Update| Feb]], [[Board/Minutes/2017-03-21#Advisory_Board| Mar]], [[Board/Minutes/2017-04-18#Advisory_Board_.28Update.29| Apr]], [https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2017/06/27/summary-of-boards-face-to-face-meeting/ May] (F2F), [[Board/Minutes/2017-10-26#Advisory_Board_on-boarding| Oct]] ''
 
''2017 [[Board/Minutes/2017-01-17#Setting_up_the_Advisory_Board| Jan]], [[Board/Minutes/2017-02-21#Advisory_Board_-_Update| Feb]], [[Board/Minutes/2017-03-21#Advisory_Board| Mar]], [[Board/Minutes/2017-04-18#Advisory_Board_.28Update.29| Apr]], [https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2017/06/27/summary-of-boards-face-to-face-meeting/ May] (F2F), [[Board/Minutes/2017-10-26#Advisory_Board_on-boarding| Oct]] ''
 
|-
 
|-
| ''Lead: Heather''
 
  +
|}
  +
  +
* The board has asked the AB members for feedback on the draft design and questions of the upcoming survey that will be published before the State of the Map 2019 conference. # ''Feedback was provided by the [[Local_Chapters|Local Chapter]] representatives of Italy, Germany and UK.''
  +
* Rob Nickerson (OSM-UK) has informed the AB members that comma.ai was suggested at the OSM UK annual gathering as a potential source of more street level imagery and asked if anyone is interested. Comma.ai have hardware, some of which taps directly in to the cameras already being installed in some cars.
  +
'' ''
  +
{| style="color: grey; background-color: #d3d3d3;
  +
<span style="font-size:88%"> '''Topics''': [[#Supporting_SotM-Africa_through_the_OSMF_ticket_sales_system|Supporting SotM Africa]] | [[#Contacting_Telenav_about_transfer_of_openstreetcam_domain| openstreetcam domain]] | [[#Advisory_Board_-_monthly_update|AB]] | '''AOB''': [[#Reminder_about_the_agenda_publishing_deadline| Agenda deadline reminder]] | [[#Question_about_action_item_.22criteria_to_become_a_Local_Chapter.22| LC criteria question]] | [[#Communicating_about_the_membership_fee-waiver_program| Fee waiver comms.]] | '''Members''': [[#Comment_about_extending_the_fee_waiver_program | Fee waiver extension]] | [[#Comment_about_the_lack_of_a_reason_being_provided_for_the_first_closed_session_topic| Closed session reason]] | '''Closed''': [[#Board_seats_available_at_the_next_election| Board seats]] | [[#Administrative_Assistant.27s_contract| Admin. Assist. contract]]</span>
 
|}
 
|}
   
 
== Any other business ==
 
== Any other business ==
  +
  +
=== Reminder about the agenda publishing deadline ===
  +
{| class="wikitable"
  +
|-
  +
|''The board had [[Board/Minutes/2019-01-17#Board_logistics | decided in January]]:
  +
* to set the agenda 7 days in advance for regular topics, so it can be announced earlier and translated.
  +
* urgent issues can be added afterwards if needed - the membership will be notified.
  +
* closed agenda items: reminder that an explanation has to be provided for topics added to closed portions of meeting.
  +
|-
  +
|}
  +
  +
Reminder by Tobias.
  +
  +
<u>Suggestions</u><br>
  +
* Update [[Board_Rules_of_Order| board Rules of Order]].
  +
* Set up process with informal deadline.
  +
'' ''
  +
{| style="color: grey; background-color: #d3d3d3;
  +
<span style="font-size:88%"> '''Topics''': [[#Supporting_SotM-Africa_through_the_OSMF_ticket_sales_system|Supporting SotM Africa]] | [[#Contacting_Telenav_about_transfer_of_openstreetcam_domain| openstreetcam domain]] | [[#Advisory_Board_-_monthly_update|AB]] | '''AOB''': [[#Reminder_about_the_agenda_publishing_deadline| Agenda deadline reminder]] | [[#Question_about_action_item_.22criteria_to_become_a_Local_Chapter.22| LC criteria question]] | [[#Communicating_about_the_membership_fee-waiver_program| Fee waiver comms.]] | '''Members''': [[#Comment_about_extending_the_fee_waiver_program | Fee waiver extension]] | [[#Comment_about_the_lack_of_a_reason_being_provided_for_the_first_closed_session_topic| Closed session reason]] | '''Closed''': [[#Board_seats_available_at_the_next_election| Board seats]] | [[#Administrative_Assistant.27s_contract| Admin. Assist. contract]]</span>
  +
|}
  +
  +
=== Question about action item "criteria to become a Local Chapter" ===
  +
{| class="wikitable"
  +
|-
  +
|''Related to the 2018-06-21 action item which he has inherited: " ''to [[Board/Minutes/2018-06-21#Criteria_for_becoming_a_Local_Chapter| initiate discussion]] on the [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/osmf-talk osmf-talk mailing list] about refining the [[Local_Chapters| Local Chapter]] criteria. # Suggested period for discussion: two weeks. Was Martijn's. Assigned to Heather on 2018-12-20. Transferred to Joost on 2019-04-24'<"
  +
|-
  +
|}
  +
  +
''Question by Joost whether he can turn the 3 sentenced mentioned in the linked minutes into an email.''
  +
  +
> Yes.
  +
  +
{| style="color: grey; background-color: #d3d3d3;
  +
<span style="font-size:88%"> '''Topics''': [[#Supporting_SotM-Africa_through_the_OSMF_ticket_sales_system|Supporting SotM Africa]] | [[#Contacting_Telenav_about_transfer_of_openstreetcam_domain| openstreetcam domain]] | [[#Advisory_Board_-_monthly_update|AB]] | '''AOB''': [[#Reminder_about_the_agenda_publishing_deadline| Agenda deadline reminder]] | [[#Question_about_action_item_.22criteria_to_become_a_Local_Chapter.22| LC criteria question]] | [[#Communicating_about_the_membership_fee-waiver_program| Fee waiver comms.]] | '''Members''': [[#Comment_about_extending_the_fee_waiver_program | Fee waiver extension]] | [[#Comment_about_the_lack_of_a_reason_being_provided_for_the_first_closed_session_topic| Closed session reason]] | '''Closed''': [[#Board_seats_available_at_the_next_election| Board seats]] | [[#Administrative_Assistant.27s_contract| Admin. Assist. contract]]</span>
  +
|}
  +
  +
=== Communicating about the membership fee-waiver program===
  +
''Question by Joost if it is ok to invest energy on communicating about the [https://join.osmfoundation.org/fee-waiver-program/ membership fee-waiver program] and making sure translations exist or is there anything to wait for.''
  +
  +
> Upcoming change: Decision during the [https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2019/05/28/osmf-board-face-to-face-meeting-2019/ 2019 face-to-face meeting] to extend the fee waiver program to anyone who shows some activity (needs to be defined). Extending the fee waiver would require a general resolution to be implemented.
  +
  +
Joost will think about it and probably do something.
  +
  +
{| style="color: grey; background-color: #d3d3d3;
  +
<span style="font-size:88%"> '''Topics''': [[#Supporting_SotM-Africa_through_the_OSMF_ticket_sales_system|Supporting SotM Africa]] | [[#Contacting_Telenav_about_transfer_of_openstreetcam_domain| openstreetcam domain]] | [[#Advisory_Board_-_monthly_update|AB]] | '''AOB''': [[#Reminder_about_the_agenda_publishing_deadline| Agenda deadline reminder]] | [[#Question_about_action_item_.22criteria_to_become_a_Local_Chapter.22| LC criteria question]] | [[#Communicating_about_the_membership_fee-waiver_program| Fee waiver comms.]] | '''Members''': [[#Comment_about_extending_the_fee_waiver_program | Fee waiver extension]] | [[#Comment_about_the_lack_of_a_reason_being_provided_for_the_first_closed_session_topic| Closed session reason]] | '''Closed''': [[#Board_seats_available_at_the_next_election| Board seats]] | [[#Administrative_Assistant.27s_contract| Admin. Assist. contract]]</span>
  +
|}
   
 
== Guest comments or questions ==
 
== Guest comments or questions ==
 
''Guests are welcome to speak at the end of the meeting on the topics that have been discussed. Please note that text messages sent on Mumble chat may not be seen by people who join using mobile apps. ''
 
''Guests are welcome to speak at the end of the meeting on the topics that have been discussed. Please note that text messages sent on Mumble chat may not be seen by people who join using mobile apps. ''
  +
  +
=== Comment about extending the fee waiver program ===
  +
''Seav mentioned that if we want to expand the [https://join.osmfoundation.org/fee-waiver-program/ membership fee-waiver program] to prevent hostile takeovers, we might want to do it before December (usual board election time).''
  +
  +
* Desirable but currently not possible, as we would need to have an extraordinary General Meeting, inviting everyone to vote and would require a lot of work to do something before December.
  +
* Additionally, there are time constraints: the board would need to notify everyone very soon and it doesn't even have any text discussed internally.
  +
'' ''
  +
{| style="color: grey; background-color: #d3d3d3;
  +
<span style="font-size:88%"> '''Topics''': [[#Supporting_SotM-Africa_through_the_OSMF_ticket_sales_system|Supporting SotM Africa]] | [[#Contacting_Telenav_about_transfer_of_openstreetcam_domain| openstreetcam domain]] | [[#Advisory_Board_-_monthly_update|AB]] | '''AOB''': [[#Reminder_about_the_agenda_publishing_deadline| Agenda deadline reminder]] | [[#Question_about_action_item_.22criteria_to_become_a_Local_Chapter.22| LC criteria question]] | [[#Communicating_about_the_membership_fee-waiver_program| Fee waiver comms.]] | '''Members''': [[#Comment_about_extending_the_fee_waiver_program | Fee waiver extension]] | [[#Comment_about_the_lack_of_a_reason_being_provided_for_the_first_closed_session_topic| Closed session reason]] | '''Closed''': [[#Board_seats_available_at_the_next_election| Board seats]] | [[#Administrative_Assistant.27s_contract| Admin. Assist. contract]]</span>
  +
|}
  +
  +
=== Comment about the lack of a reason being provided for the first closed session topic ===
  +
''Imagico reminded that addition of closed session topics requires a reason being given. Related to the closed session topic: [[Board/Minutes/2019-07-17&action=submit#Board_seats_available_at_the_next_election | Board seats available at the next election]].''
  +
  +
* Frederik suggested to the board to have a discussion about available seats and make an announcement ahead of time, instead of board members making individual disclosures of their plans around 4 weeks prior to the Annual General Meeting.
  +
* The board would like to discuss this internally and then make the announcement.
  +
* Decisions to step down are often connected to personal, non-public reasons.
  +
* The explanations provided above could have been provided to the members reading the agenda.
  +
  +
<u>Decision</u>: Dorothea to remind board members to provide a reason when suggesting closed session topics.
  +
'' ''
  +
{| style="color: grey; background-color: #d3d3d3;
  +
<span style="font-size:88%"> '''Topics''': [[#Supporting_SotM-Africa_through_the_OSMF_ticket_sales_system|Supporting SotM Africa]] | [[#Contacting_Telenav_about_transfer_of_openstreetcam_domain| openstreetcam domain]] | [[#Advisory_Board_-_monthly_update|AB]] | '''AOB''': [[#Reminder_about_the_agenda_publishing_deadline| Agenda deadline reminder]] | [[#Question_about_action_item_.22criteria_to_become_a_Local_Chapter.22| LC criteria question]] | [[#Communicating_about_the_membership_fee-waiver_program| Fee waiver comms.]] | '''Members''': [[#Comment_about_extending_the_fee_waiver_program | Fee waiver extension]] | [[#Comment_about_the_lack_of_a_reason_being_provided_for_the_first_closed_session_topic| Closed session reason]] | '''Closed''': [[#Board_seats_available_at_the_next_election| Board seats]] | [[#Administrative_Assistant.27s_contract| Admin. Assist. contract]]</span>
  +
|}
   
 
== Closed portion of meeting ==
 
== Closed portion of meeting ==
Line 193: Line 332:
 
|-
 
|-
 
|}
 
|}
  +
  +
{| style="color: grey; background-color: #d3d3d3;
  +
<span style="font-size:88%"> '''Topics''': [[#Supporting_SotM-Africa_through_the_OSMF_ticket_sales_system|Supporting SotM Africa]] | [[#Contacting_Telenav_about_transfer_of_openstreetcam_domain| openstreetcam domain]] | [[#Advisory_Board_-_monthly_update|AB]] | '''AOB''': [[#Reminder_about_the_agenda_publishing_deadline| Agenda deadline reminder]] | [[#Question_about_action_item_.22criteria_to_become_a_Local_Chapter.22| LC criteria question]] | [[#Communicating_about_the_membership_fee-waiver_program| Fee waiver comms.]] | '''Members''': [[#Comment_about_extending_the_fee_waiver_program | Fee waiver extension]] | [[#Comment_about_the_lack_of_a_reason_being_provided_for_the_first_closed_session_topic| Closed session reason]] | '''Closed''': [[#Board_seats_available_at_the_next_election| Board seats]] | [[#Administrative_Assistant.27s_contract| Admin. Assist. contract]]</span>
  +
|}
   
 
== Next meeting ==
 
== Next meeting ==

Revision as of 03:33, 18 July 2019

Draft minutes.

Location: Channel "OSMF Board of Directors (Public)" on Mumble.
Date and time: 17th of July, at 19:00 London time.
Countdown

Participants

Board members

  • Joost Schouppe
  • Paul Norman
  • Kate Chapman
  • Tobias Knerr
  • Mikel Maron
  • Frederik Ramm

Biographies

Guests

  • 4 guests.

Open to all OSMF members.

Guests are welcome to speak at the end of the meeting on the topics that have been discussed. Please note that text messages sent on Mumble chat may not be seen by people who join using mobile apps.

Not Present

  • Heather Leson (apologies)

Administrative

Previous minutes

Circular Resolutions

Board_Rules_of_Order#7._Circular_Resolutions

None.

Previous action items

The list is sortable and collapsible. New items or updates are in blue.

Name Date Action item and status
Frederik 2019-02-20 to create a circular about accepting the proposed budget. Once accepted, the budget will be put up on the OSMF website.
Frederik 2018-09-20 to update Roland Olbricht, maintainer of the Overpass API (downstream data controller).
Frederik/Heather 2019-05-18 (F2F) GDPR: Complete and share job description for someone to prepare a pull request for acceptance against the current “openstreetmap-website” code that will implement these changes (related blogpost).
# Possibly completed.
Joost/Mikel 2019-05-18 (F2F) to meet to finalise plan about Microgrants.
# Possibly completed.
Heather 2018-12-20 to draft email to start off discussion on the osmf-talk mailing list about developing guidance for our involvement in politics/activism.
# Was Peter's. Assigned to Heather on 2018-12-20.
Joost 2018-06-21 to initiate discussion on the osmf-talk mailing list about refining the Local Chapter criteria.
# Suggested period for discussion: two weeks. Was Martijn's. Assigned to Heather on 2018-12-20. Transferred to Joost on 2019-04-24
Kate 2018-12-20 to write to the Data Working Group to see if there's anything further the board can do to support them.
Kate 2018-02-15 to follow up with Grant about the technical workaround of having conference announcement banners on osm.org linked to landing pages on the website.
Kate 2018-01-18 to update the etiquette and add a reporting plan.
Kate 2019-05-18 (F2F) to write Administrative Assistant's job description.
# Possibly completed.
Kate 2019-05-18 (F2F) Board terms/Roles/Announcement: Write announcement and communication plan.
Mikel/Paul 2018-03-15 to look at the ten most active mailing lists and see if people listed as admins are active in the moderator role, what is in place, and how they manage the lists.
# 2018-05-24 Mikel drafted email and both agreed on some modifications.
Mikel 2019-07-16 Pre-SotM survey: Provide feedback on the questions and text.
Paul 2018-04-19 to document the evaluation process of software and services used by the OSMF. Related to our FOSS policy.
Paul 2019-05-18 (F2F) Pre-F2F2019 survey: Take feedback from to developers that is about software.
# Possibly completed.
Paul 2016-10-28 to create a page on the wiki, listing software products which are used by OSMF and are closed-source and/or are externally hosted.
# Was Peter's
Tobias 2019-06-19 to sent the FOSSGIS 2019 report to osmf-talk mailing list
# Done.
Heather 2019-06-19 to ask for translation of OSM-Italia updated by-laws.
# Done.
Heather 2019-06-19 to follow up with SotM Africa team regarding financial administration.
# Done.
Mikel/Paul 2019-06-19 to document the process on evaluating a Trademark request.
Paul 2019-06-19 to switch limesurvey plan to annual & expert, transfer ownership to OWG, billing to OSMF and give access to Mikel, Joost and Dorothea.
Joost 2019-06-19 to update the email to the OWG.
# Done.
Topics: Supporting SotM Africa | openstreetcam domain | AB | AOB: Agenda deadline reminder | LC criteria question | Fee waiver comms. | Members: Fee waiver extension | Closed session reason | Closed: Board seats | Admin. Assist. contract

Supporting SotM-Africa through the OSMF ticket sales system

Enquiry from team planning State of the Map (SotM) Africa about whether they can use the same platform that OSMF uses to sell their tickets. Their issue is not technical, but that they are looking for an organisation which could handle ticket invoicing "in the name of SotM Africa". If the board agrees to manage the financial part of ticket selling, Christine Karch (SotM WG lead) volunteered for the configuration of the SotM Africa in CiviCRM.

Information supplied by SotM Africa Team

  • Financial administration and organisational status: OSM côte d'Ivoire, has legal status and bank account.
  • Suggested timing of bank transfers:
    • One month before the event.
    • The second at the day of the event.

Related board discussion: 2019 June

  • We should be careful not to set wrong example.
  • We can provide help with the SotM quick licence form.

Workload

Task Person
Configuring CiviCRM Christine
Support with payment problems We can give read access to CiviCRM - signed non-disclosure agreement needed
Providing discount codes
Manually signing-up people if they paid by bank transfer (post-meeting addition)

Possible issues to be addressed

  • Trademark policy - ask for signed SotM quick licence.
  • GDPR issues: ask for signed non-disclosure agreement by whoever gets read access to CiviCRM.
  • Financial:
    • make it clear that they are responsible for dealing with issues like VAT registration (if applicable).
    • we would need an invoice from them.

Next steps

Discussion and circular.

Decision: Dorothea to share notes with the board and one of the board members to volunteer for drafting a circular resolution.

Topics: Supporting SotM Africa | openstreetcam domain | AB | AOB: Agenda deadline reminder | LC criteria question | Fee waiver comms. | Members: Fee waiver extension | Closed session reason | Closed: Board seats | Admin. Assist. contract

Contacting Telenav about transfer of openstreetcam domain

The board has received a request from the Licencing Working Group (LWG) to contact Telenav about he transfer of the openstreetcam.org domain to the OSMF, or at least enter an agreement in which the domain and any other rights to the name are transferred to the OSMF in the case that the current scope of the OSC project significantly changes from contributing to OSM.

Points mentioned during discussion:

  • Not following through on the Trademark Policy would mean losing any rights - necessity, even if people in Telenav have been nice to us in the past.
  • LWG has a member that works for Telenav but better for the request to be more official.
  • openweathermap case was mentioned (no longer open).
  • Cases in past before trademark policy are eligible for our grandfathering scheme (template application). # Comment that the name change to OpenStreetCam was after the Trademark policy.
  • The board should enquire if there are other similar cases that it needs to look into.

Decision: The board to contact Telenav.

Action Item: Frederik to email the Licensing Working Group and ask them if there other similar cases that the board should look into and possibly provide points from previous discussions on the same topic.

Topics: Supporting SotM Africa | openstreetcam domain | AB | AOB: Agenda deadline reminder | LC criteria question | Fee waiver comms. | Members: Fee waiver extension | Closed session reason | Closed: Board seats | Admin. Assist. contract

Advisory Board - monthly update

The Advisory Board members are separate from the OSMF board of directors - individuals are either nominated by Corporate Members of the OSMF or invited directly by the OSMF board of directors. The OSMF Board of Directors will publicly minute, in the board meeting minutes, any communication sent to, or received from, the AB members. This monthly section is reserved for this purpose. Overview.

AB related updates and board discussions:
2019 Jan, Mar, Jun

2018 Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Dec
2017 Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May (F2F), Oct

  • The board has asked the AB members for feedback on the draft design and questions of the upcoming survey that will be published before the State of the Map 2019 conference. # Feedback was provided by the Local Chapter representatives of Italy, Germany and UK.
  • Rob Nickerson (OSM-UK) has informed the AB members that comma.ai was suggested at the OSM UK annual gathering as a potential source of more street level imagery and asked if anyone is interested. Comma.ai have hardware, some of which taps directly in to the cameras already being installed in some cars.

Topics: Supporting SotM Africa | openstreetcam domain | AB | AOB: Agenda deadline reminder | LC criteria question | Fee waiver comms. | Members: Fee waiver extension | Closed session reason | Closed: Board seats | Admin. Assist. contract

Any other business

Reminder about the agenda publishing deadline

The board had decided in January:
  • to set the agenda 7 days in advance for regular topics, so it can be announced earlier and translated.
  • urgent issues can be added afterwards if needed - the membership will be notified.
  • closed agenda items: reminder that an explanation has to be provided for topics added to closed portions of meeting.

Reminder by Tobias.

Suggestions

Topics: Supporting SotM Africa | openstreetcam domain | AB | AOB: Agenda deadline reminder | LC criteria question | Fee waiver comms. | Members: Fee waiver extension | Closed session reason | Closed: Board seats | Admin. Assist. contract

Question about action item "criteria to become a Local Chapter"

Related to the 2018-06-21 action item which he has inherited: " to initiate discussion on the osmf-talk mailing list about refining the Local Chapter criteria. # Suggested period for discussion: two weeks. Was Martijn's. Assigned to Heather on 2018-12-20. Transferred to Joost on 2019-04-24'<"

Question by Joost whether he can turn the 3 sentenced mentioned in the linked minutes into an email.

> Yes.

Topics: Supporting SotM Africa | openstreetcam domain | AB | AOB: Agenda deadline reminder | LC criteria question | Fee waiver comms. | Members: Fee waiver extension | Closed session reason | Closed: Board seats | Admin. Assist. contract

Communicating about the membership fee-waiver program

Question by Joost if it is ok to invest energy on communicating about the membership fee-waiver program and making sure translations exist or is there anything to wait for.

> Upcoming change: Decision during the 2019 face-to-face meeting to extend the fee waiver program to anyone who shows some activity (needs to be defined). Extending the fee waiver would require a general resolution to be implemented.

Joost will think about it and probably do something.

Topics: Supporting SotM Africa | openstreetcam domain | AB | AOB: Agenda deadline reminder | LC criteria question | Fee waiver comms. | Members: Fee waiver extension | Closed session reason | Closed: Board seats | Admin. Assist. contract

Guest comments or questions

Guests are welcome to speak at the end of the meeting on the topics that have been discussed. Please note that text messages sent on Mumble chat may not be seen by people who join using mobile apps.

Comment about extending the fee waiver program

Seav mentioned that if we want to expand the membership fee-waiver program to prevent hostile takeovers, we might want to do it before December (usual board election time).

  • Desirable but currently not possible, as we would need to have an extraordinary General Meeting, inviting everyone to vote and would require a lot of work to do something before December.
  • Additionally, there are time constraints: the board would need to notify everyone very soon and it doesn't even have any text discussed internally.

Topics: Supporting SotM Africa | openstreetcam domain | AB | AOB: Agenda deadline reminder | LC criteria question | Fee waiver comms. | Members: Fee waiver extension | Closed session reason | Closed: Board seats | Admin. Assist. contract

Comment about the lack of a reason being provided for the first closed session topic

Imagico reminded that addition of closed session topics requires a reason being given. Related to the closed session topic: Board seats available at the next election.

  • Frederik suggested to the board to have a discussion about available seats and make an announcement ahead of time, instead of board members making individual disclosures of their plans around 4 weeks prior to the Annual General Meeting.
  • The board would like to discuss this internally and then make the announcement.
  • Decisions to step down are often connected to personal, non-public reasons.
  • The explanations provided above could have been provided to the members reading the agenda.

Decision: Dorothea to remind board members to provide a reason when suggesting closed session topics.

Topics: Supporting SotM Africa | openstreetcam domain | AB | AOB: Agenda deadline reminder | LC criteria question | Fee waiver comms. | Members: Fee waiver extension | Closed session reason | Closed: Board seats | Admin. Assist. contract

Closed portion of meeting

Board seats available at the next election

Discussion about who will step down at the next board elections and a related announcement, so that members can start thinking about nominations.

Administrative Assistant's contract

Dorothea's contract.

Related (closed) discussions/circular resolutions:
2019 Jan, Feb (Circular Resolution), Jun
2018 Jan, Feb
2017 Mar , Apr

Topics: Supporting SotM Africa | openstreetcam domain | AB | AOB: Agenda deadline reminder | LC criteria question | Fee waiver comms. | Members: Fee waiver extension | Closed session reason | Closed: Board seats | Admin. Assist. contract

Next meeting

Meetings take place on the 3rd Wednesday of the month, at 19:00 London time, unless rescheduled.
The next monthly board meeting will be on the 21st of August, at 19:00 London time, unless rescheduled.

Meeting end

Acronyms