Difference between revisions of "Board/Minutes/2019-08"

From OpenStreetMap Foundation
(+ topics: "Articles of Association changes for the 2019 Annual General Meeting", "Board seats at the next election" / Expanded "Microgrants update")
(+ previous action items. Contains some action items that did not arise from the monthly board meetings.)
Line 55: Line 55:
   
 
=== Previous action items ===
 
=== Previous action items ===
  +
The list is sortable and collapsible and contains items that did not arise from board meetings. Incomplete.
  +
  +
{| class="wikitable mw-collapsible sortable"
  +
! Name
  +
! Date
  +
! Action item and status
  +
! Source
  +
! Related to
  +
|-
  +
| Not assigned
  +
| 2019-07-17
  +
| [[Board/Minutes/2019-07-17#Contacting_Telenav_about_transfer_of_openstreetcam_domain| to contact Telenav]] about transfer of openstreetcam domain.<br> '' # Potentially also contact other parties, depending on the feedback from the LWG.''
  +
| meeting
  +
| LWG
  +
|-
  +
| Board
  +
| 2019-07
  +
| to decide about the NextGIS donation.
  +
| email
  +
| Donation
  +
|-
  +
| Board
  +
| 2019-07
  +
| to decide on next steps regarding an email service for OSMF.
  +
| email
  +
| FOSS policy
  +
|-
  +
| Board
  +
| 2019-07
  +
| to decide on whether the team that plans a SotM in Africa can get the sponsorship amount from Facebook through OSMF. Unknown amount and whether this will be needed for more sponsors. <br> ''# Pre-requisites: Sign the [[SOTM_Quick_Licence|SotM quick licence agreement]] and agree to provide invoices to OSMF prior to the money transfers.''
  +
| email
  +
| Regional SotMs
  +
|-
  +
| Board
  +
| 2019-07
  +
| to provide feedback on Heather's draft email to OSM US, related to their interest in applying for LC status.
  +
| email
  +
| LC appl.
  +
|-
  +
| Frederik/Heather
  +
| 2019-05-18
  +
| to complete and share job description for someone to prepare a pull request for acceptance against the current “openstreetmap-website” code that will implement [https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/GDPR/Affected_Services these changes] (related [https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2018/11/03/rfq-changes_to_rails_api_and_cgimap/ blogpost]). <br> ''# Possibly completed. ''
  +
| F2F 2019
  +
| GDPR
  +
|-
  +
| Frederik
  +
| 2019-08
  +
| to pay Gunner for 2019 Face-to-Face board meeting facilitation.
  +
| F2F 2019
  +
| F2F
  +
|-
  +
| Frederik
  +
| 2019-02-20
  +
| [[Board/Minutes/2019-02-20#2019_budget| to create]] a [[Board_Rules_of_Order#7._Circular_Resolutions|circular]] about accepting the [http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/attachments/20190220/e434dde2/attachment.ods proposed budget]. Once accepted, the budget will be put up on the OSMF website.
  +
| meeting
  +
| Budget
  +
|-
  +
| Frederik
  +
| 2018-09-20
  +
| to [[Board/Minutes/2018-09-20#GDPR_preparation_update|update]] [https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Roland.olbricht Roland Olbricht], maintainer of the [https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Overpass_API Overpass API] (downstream data controller).
  +
| meeting
  +
| GDPR
  +
|-
  +
| <s>Joost/Mikel</s>
  +
| <s>2019-05-18</s>
  +
| <s>to meet to finalise plan about Microgrants.</s> <br>
  +
| F2F 2019
  +
| Microgrants
  +
|-
  +
| Joost/Mikel
  +
| 2019-08
  +
| to write up a draft of the public documentation on the microgrants process, along with remaining questions and present at the August Board meeting.
  +
| F2F 2019
  +
| Microgrants
  +
|-
  +
| Joost
  +
| 2019-07
  +
| to gather the responses from the WG survey.
  +
| F2F 2019
  +
| WGs
  +
|-
  +
| Heather
  +
| 2018-12-20
  +
| to draft email to start off discussion on the [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/osmf-talk osmf-talk] mailing list about [[Board/Minutes/2018-09-20#Start_developing_guidance_for_our_involvement_in_politics.2Factivism|developing guidance for our involvement in politics/activism]]. <br> ''# Was Peter's. Assigned to Heather on 2018-12-20.
  +
| meeting
  +
| Activism
  +
|-
  +
| Heather
  +
| 2018-09
  +
| to draft post on OSM validation practices.
  +
| email
  +
| Vandalism
  +
|-
  +
| Heather
  +
| 2018-08
  +
| to consult the Irish OSM community and the membership regarding the [[Local_Chapters/Applications/Ireland|OpenStreetMap Ireland Local Chapter application]].
  +
| email
  +
| LC appl.
  +
|-
  +
| Kate
  +
| 2019-05-18
  +
| to write Administrative Assistant's job description. <br> '' # Possibly completed.''
  +
| F2F 2019
  +
| Admin. Assistant
  +
|-
  +
| Kate
  +
| 2019-05-18
  +
| Board terms/Roles/Announcement: Write announcement and communication plan.
  +
| F2F 2019
  +
| Board terms
  +
|-
  +
| Kate
  +
| 2018-12-20
  +
| [[Board/Minutes/2018-12-20#Review_of_the_etiquette_guidance|to write]] to the [[Data_Working_Group|Data Working Group]] to see if there's anything further the board can do to support them.
  +
| meeting
  +
| DWG
  +
|-
  +
| Kate
  +
| 2018-09
  +
| to draft rapid response plan for when bad things happen.
  +
| email
  +
| Vandalism
  +
|-
  +
| Kate
  +
| 2018-02-15
  +
| to follow up with Grant about the [[Board/Minutes/2018-02-15#openstreetmap.org_added_to_Easylist| technical workaround]] of having conference announcement banners on osm.org linked to landing pages on the website.
  +
| meeting
  +
| OWG
  +
|-
  +
| Kate
  +
| 2018-01-18
  +
| [[Board/Minutes/2018-01-18#Taking_a_stand| to update]] the [https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Etiquette etiquette] and add a reporting plan.
  +
| meeting
  +
| Communication
  +
|-
  +
| Mikel/Paul
  +
| 2019-06-19
  +
| [[Board/Minutes/2019-06-19#Supporting_regional_SotMs_through_the_OSMF_ticket_sales_system|to document the process]] on evaluating a Trademark request.
  +
| meeting
  +
| LWG
  +
|-
  +
| Mikel/Paul
  +
| 2018-03-15
  +
| [[Board/Minutes/2018-03-15#Board_reminder.2Fcommunications_about_etiquette_guidelines| to look]] at the ten most active [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo mailing lists] and see if people listed as admins are active in the moderator role, what is in place, and how they manage the lists. <br> '' # 2018-05-24 Mikel drafted email and both agreed on some modifications''.
  +
| meeting
  +
| Communication
  +
|-
  +
| <s>Mikel</s>
  +
| <s>2019-07-16</s>
  +
| <s>Pre-SotM survey: Provide feedback on the questions and text.</s>
  +
| meeting
  +
| Survey
  +
|-
  +
| Mikel/Joost
  +
| 2019-05-18
  +
| to document working group practices, draft WG “rules of order".
  +
| F2F 2019
  +
| WGs
  +
|-
  +
| Paul
  +
| 2019-06-19
  +
| <s>[[Board/Minutes/2019-06-19#Next_steps_on_pre-SotM_survey| to switch]] limesurvey plan to annual & expert</s>, transfer (limesurvey) ownership to OWG, billing to OSMF <s>and give access to Mikel, Joost and Dorothea</s>. <br> # ''The plan won't be changed for the time being.''
  +
| meeting
  +
| Surveys
  +
|-
  +
| Paul
  +
| 2019-05-18
  +
| Pre-F2F2019 survey: Take feedback from to developers that is about software. <br> ''# Might have been completed.''
  +
| F2F 2019
  +
| Survey
  +
|-
  +
| Paul
  +
| 2018-05
  +
| to take feedback from the pre-F2F 2019 survey to developers that is about software.<br> ''# Might have been completed.''
  +
| F2F 2019
  +
| Survey
  +
|-
  +
| Paul
  +
| 2018-04-19
  +
| to [[Board/Minutes/2018-04-19#FOSS_Policy| document]] the evaluation process of software and services used by the OSMF.
  +
| meeting
  +
| FOSS policy
  +
|-
  +
| Paul
  +
| 2016-10-28
  +
| to create a page on the wiki, listing software products which are used by OSMF and are closed-source and/or are externally hosted. <br> '' # Was Peter's''
  +
| meeting
  +
| FOSS policy
  +
|-
  +
|}
   
 
== Action Item updates ==
 
== Action Item updates ==

Revision as of 01:23, 22 August 2019

Draft Agenda.

Location: Channel "OSMF Board of Directors (Public)" on Mumble.
Date and time: Thursday, 22 August, 20:00 London time - Countdown.

Participants

Board members

Biographies

Guests

Open to all OSMF members.

Guests are welcome to speak at the end of the meeting on the topics that have been discussed. Please note that text messages sent on Mumble chat may not be seen by people who join using mobile apps.

Not Present

Administrative

Previous minutes

Circular Resolutions

Board_Rules_of_Order#7._Circular_Resolutions

2019/Res16 Allow SotM Africa to use OSMF CiviCRM for their ticket sales, with conditions

SotM Africa requested use of OSMF CiviCRM, to make it easier to manage ticket sales for the conference. Christine (SotM WG Lead) has volunteered to help with OSMF workload for this (configure CiviCRM, debug problems, generate coupon codes, manual sign ups).

We would do this if the following conditions are met by SotM Africa

  • SotM Africa comply with trademark policy and submit signed SotM quick license.
  • Anyone from SotM Africa is granted read access to CiviCRM needs to sign an Non Disclosure Agreement.
  • We’d make clear and they’d accept responsibility for VAT issues.
  • They would need to provide an invoice to OSMF prior to bank transfers.

Accepted 2019-07-30 with 6 votes in favour: Tobias Knerr, Paul Norman, Kate Chapman, Joost Schouppe, Heather Leson, Mikel Maron
1 not voted: Frederik Ramm

Previous board discussions: 2019 June, July

2019/Res17 Approve financial hardship fee waiver 2019072910000077

The Board currently decides on membership applications for a fee waiver due to financial need on a case-by-case basis.

Accepted 2019-08-14 with 7 votes in favour: Kate Chapman, Paul Norman, Mikel Maron, Joost Schouppe, Tobias Knerr, Heather Leson, Frederik Ramm

Previous action items

The list is sortable and collapsible and contains items that did not arise from board meetings. Incomplete.

Name Date Action item and status Source Related to
Not assigned 2019-07-17 to contact Telenav about transfer of openstreetcam domain.
# Potentially also contact other parties, depending on the feedback from the LWG.
meeting LWG
Board 2019-07 to decide about the NextGIS donation. email Donation
Board 2019-07 to decide on next steps regarding an email service for OSMF. email FOSS policy
Board 2019-07 to decide on whether the team that plans a SotM in Africa can get the sponsorship amount from Facebook through OSMF. Unknown amount and whether this will be needed for more sponsors.
# Pre-requisites: Sign the SotM quick licence agreement and agree to provide invoices to OSMF prior to the money transfers.
email Regional SotMs
Board 2019-07 to provide feedback on Heather's draft email to OSM US, related to their interest in applying for LC status. email LC appl.
Frederik/Heather 2019-05-18 to complete and share job description for someone to prepare a pull request for acceptance against the current “openstreetmap-website” code that will implement these changes (related blogpost).
# Possibly completed.
F2F 2019 GDPR
Frederik 2019-08 to pay Gunner for 2019 Face-to-Face board meeting facilitation. F2F 2019 F2F
Frederik 2019-02-20 to create a circular about accepting the proposed budget. Once accepted, the budget will be put up on the OSMF website. meeting Budget
Frederik 2018-09-20 to update Roland Olbricht, maintainer of the Overpass API (downstream data controller). meeting GDPR
Joost/Mikel 2019-05-18 to meet to finalise plan about Microgrants.
F2F 2019 Microgrants
Joost/Mikel 2019-08 to write up a draft of the public documentation on the microgrants process, along with remaining questions and present at the August Board meeting. F2F 2019 Microgrants
Joost 2019-07 to gather the responses from the WG survey. F2F 2019 WGs
Heather 2018-12-20 to draft email to start off discussion on the osmf-talk mailing list about developing guidance for our involvement in politics/activism.
# Was Peter's. Assigned to Heather on 2018-12-20.
meeting Activism
Heather 2018-09 to draft post on OSM validation practices. email Vandalism
Heather 2018-08 to consult the Irish OSM community and the membership regarding the OpenStreetMap Ireland Local Chapter application. email LC appl.
Kate 2019-05-18 to write Administrative Assistant's job description.
# Possibly completed.
F2F 2019 Admin. Assistant
Kate 2019-05-18 Board terms/Roles/Announcement: Write announcement and communication plan. F2F 2019 Board terms
Kate 2018-12-20 to write to the Data Working Group to see if there's anything further the board can do to support them. meeting DWG
Kate 2018-09 to draft rapid response plan for when bad things happen. email Vandalism
Kate 2018-02-15 to follow up with Grant about the technical workaround of having conference announcement banners on osm.org linked to landing pages on the website. meeting OWG
Kate 2018-01-18 to update the etiquette and add a reporting plan. meeting Communication
Mikel/Paul 2019-06-19 to document the process on evaluating a Trademark request. meeting LWG
Mikel/Paul 2018-03-15 to look at the ten most active mailing lists and see if people listed as admins are active in the moderator role, what is in place, and how they manage the lists.
# 2018-05-24 Mikel drafted email and both agreed on some modifications.
meeting Communication
Mikel 2019-07-16 Pre-SotM survey: Provide feedback on the questions and text. meeting Survey
Mikel/Joost 2019-05-18 to document working group practices, draft WG “rules of order". F2F 2019 WGs
Paul 2019-06-19 to switch limesurvey plan to annual & expert, transfer (limesurvey) ownership to OWG, billing to OSMF and give access to Mikel, Joost and Dorothea.
# The plan won't be changed for the time being.
meeting Surveys
Paul 2019-05-18 Pre-F2F2019 survey: Take feedback from to developers that is about software.
# Might have been completed.
F2F 2019 Survey
Paul 2018-05 to take feedback from the pre-F2F 2019 survey to developers that is about software.
# Might have been completed.
F2F 2019 Survey
Paul 2018-04-19 to document the evaluation process of software and services used by the OSMF. meeting FOSS policy
Paul 2016-10-28 to create a page on the wiki, listing software products which are used by OSMF and are closed-source and/or are externally hosted.
# Was Peter's
meeting FOSS policy

Action Item updates

Power of Attorney request from FOSSGIS

A long-term German contributor noticed signs with maps clearly based on OSM and without attribution. In the correspondence between the company that erected the signs, the company that produced the maps and the contributor in Germany, the situation escalated, with the map company threatening the OSM contributor with legal action for libel. At that point FOSSGIS (our Local Chapter in Germany) became involved.

FOSSGIS have subsequently asked for power of attorney (PoA) to be granted and have sent a document to be signed by the board. The scope of the document was then narrowed down, after a recommendation from the Licensing Working Group (updated document). It has been relayed to the board that FOSSGIS will pay any costs related to the specific case.

Related LWG discussion: 2019-08-08
Related talk-de discussion.

Lead: Frederik

Articles of Association changes for the 2019 Annual General Meeting

Threats and take-over scenarios were discussed during the 2019 Face-to-Face (F2F) meeting and the board had started working on some suggested changes in the Articles of Association (AoA), to be put to vote on the 2019 Annual General Meeting (AGM). The AoA changes aim to (amongst others):
  • Give the Membership Working Group (MWG) and the board more time to investigate any unusual signup patterns.
  • Make it less attractive for people to join just because a particular issue is on the AGM agenda.
  • Make it more difficult for an organisation to control the OSMF by having their own representatives elected to board positions.
  • Increase the membership base.
  • Streamline the board terms and term limits.

The board had notified the MWG after the F2F about what they had started working on, while nothing had been finalised at that time. The plan is to allow members to vote on these changes individually, i.e. they can reject one and accept the other if they wish.

In this meeting there will be either a discussion about the content or a decision on forwarding the suggested changes to MWG for feedback.

Board seats at the next election

The board has drafted an announcement about the seats that will be available at the next election, so that members can start thinking about nominations. The announcement might get published before the meeting.
Lead: Kate

Criteria to become a Local Chapter

The current minimum criteria for becoming a Local Chapter are outlined here.

In 2018 it was decided to initiate discussion on the osmf-talk mailing list about refining the criteria.

Points of discussion could be:

  • how established must a local organization be to be eligible to become a Local Chapter
  • how can we measure this as objectively as possible, and
  • how to handle applications from organizations that have a broader scope than just OSM.

A summary of the recent osmf-talk discussion will be provided.

Lead: Joost

Microgrants update

Providing microgrants was a topic discussed extensively during the 2018 Face-to-Face board meeting, where a plan was developed. You might know similar programs from e.g. OSM-US, HOT or FOSSGIS. As a start and as a first trial we want to make a time-bound program where you can apply for microgrants until a specific date. A consultation document was shared in 2018 with the membership and the Advisory Board members, which contained an outline and top questions. There were also two microgrant-related sessions at the State of the Map 2018 conference (read some discussion points and questions).

Work on Microgrants was paused in 2018 and restarted after the 2019 F2F meeting. Currently two of the board members are working on them. The plan is to merge all the documents in a public wiki page and identify points that need to be voted on by the board. The current working document has notes on:

  • The mission statement.
  • The options for committee creation.
  • The eligibility criteria for the applications and examples of applications that would or would not pass.
  • The amount available for the first run.

The document has not been finalised yet and the board has not been asked to provide feedback or vote on parts of it.

Related board discussions: 2018 Sep, Aug, Jul, Jun, Apr, 2017 Aug, Jul, May.
Related osmf-talk discussions: 2019 Aug, 2018 Oct (asking for input)
Related board working sessions: 2019 Aug, 2018 Sep, Jul.
Related SotM 2018 session: there was a lightning talk, for community feedback

Advisory Board - monthly update

The Advisory Board members are separate from the OSMF board of directors - individuals are either nominated by Corporate Members of the OSMF or invited directly by the OSMF board of directors. The OSMF Board of Directors will publicly minute, in the board meeting minutes, any communication sent to, or received from, the AB members. This monthly section is reserved for this purpose. Overview.

AB related updates and board discussions:
2019 Jan, Mar, Jun, Jul

2018 Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Dec
2017 Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May (F2F), Oct

Next meeting

Meetings take place on the 3rd Wednesday of the month, at 19:00 London time, unless rescheduled.
The next monthly board meeting will be rescheduled due to SotM 2019.

Meeting end

Acronyms