Difference between revisions of "Board/Minutes/2019-08"

From OpenStreetMap Foundation
(+ topics: "Power of Attorney request from FOSSGIS" & "Criteria to become a Local Chapter")
Line 57: Line 57:
   
 
== Action Item updates ==
 
== Action Item updates ==
  +
  +
== Power of Attorney request from FOSSGIS ==
  +
{| class="wikitable"
  +
|-
  +
| ''A long-term German contributor noticed signs with maps clearly based on OSM and without attribution. In the correspondence between the company that erected the signs, the company that produced the maps and the contributor in Germany, the situation escalated, with the map company threatening the OSM contributor with legal action for libel. At that point [https://www.fossgis.de/ FOSSGIS] (our [[Local_Chapters|Local Chapter]] in Germany) became involved. ''
  +
  +
''FOSSGIS have subsequently asked for power of attorney (PoA) to be granted and have sent a document to be signed by the board. The scope of the document was subsequently narrowed after a recommendation from the [[Licensing_Working_Group| Licensing Working Group]] ([https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/w/images/8/8a/FOSSGIS_PoA_request_updated_20190812.odt updated document]). It has been relayed to the board that FOSSGIS will pay any costs related to the specific case.''
  +
  +
''Related LWG discussion: [[Licensing_Working_Group/Minutes/2019-08-08#Power_of_Attorney_request_from_FOSSGIS| 2019-08-08]]''<br>
  +
'' Related [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-de/2019-June/116200.html talk-de discussion]''.
  +
|-
  +
| ''Lead: Frederik''
  +
|}
  +
  +
== Criteria to become a Local Chapter ==
  +
{| class="wikitable"
  +
|-
  +
| ''The current minimum criteria for becoming a [[Local_Chapters| Local Chapter]] are outlined [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Local_Chapters/FAQ#What_are_the_minimum_requirements_for_a_Chapter.3F here].''
  +
  +
''In 2018 [[Board/Minutes/2018-06-21#Criteria_for_becoming_a_Local_Chapter|it was decided]] to initiate discussion on the [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/osmf-talk osmf-talk] mailing list about refining the criteria.''
  +
  +
''Points of discussion could be:''
  +
* ''how established must a local organization be to be eligible to become a Local Chapter ''
  +
* ''how can we measure this as objectively as possible, and ''
  +
* ''how to handle applications from organizations that have a broader scope than just OSM.''
  +
  +
'' A summary of the recent [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2019-July/006131.html osmf-talk discussion] will be provided.''
  +
|-
  +
| ''Lead: Joost''
  +
|}
   
 
== Microgrants update ==
 
== Microgrants update ==

Revision as of 16:27, 17 August 2019

Draft page.

Location: Channel "OSMF Board of Directors (Public)" on Mumble.
Date and time: Thursday, 22 August, 20:00 London time - Countdown.

Participants

Board members

Biographies

Guests

Open to all OSMF members.

Guests are welcome to speak at the end of the meeting on the topics that have been discussed. Please note that text messages sent on Mumble chat may not be seen by people who join using mobile apps.

Not Present

Administrative

Previous minutes

Circular Resolutions

Board_Rules_of_Order#7._Circular_Resolutions

2019/Res16 Allow SotM Africa to use OSMF CiviCRM for their ticket sales, with conditions

SotM Africa requested use of OSMF CiviCRM, to make it easier to manage ticket sales for the conference. Christine (SotM WG Lead) has volunteered to help with OSMF workload for this (configure CiviCRM, debug problems, generate coupon codes, manual sign ups).

We would do this if the following conditions are met by SotM Africa

  • SotM Africa comply with trademark policy and submit signed SotM quick license.
  • Anyone from SotM Africa is granted read access to CiviCRM needs to sign an Non Disclosure Agreement.
  • We’d make clear and they’d accept responsibility for VAT issues.
  • They would need to provide an invoice to OSMF prior to bank transfers.

Accepted 2019-07-30 with 6 votes in favour: Tobias Knerr, Paul Norman, Kate Chapman, Joost Schouppe, Heather Leson, Mikel Maron
1 not voted: Frederik Ramm

Previous board discussions: 2019 June, July

2019/Res17 Approve financial hardship fee waiver 2019072910000077

The Board currently decides on membership applications for a fee waiver due to financial need on a case-by-case basis.

Accepted 2019-08-14 with 7 votes in favour: Kate Chapman, Paul Norman, Mikel Maron, Joost Schouppe, Tobias Knerr, Heather Leson, Frederik Ramm

Previous action items

Action Item updates

Power of Attorney request from FOSSGIS

A long-term German contributor noticed signs with maps clearly based on OSM and without attribution. In the correspondence between the company that erected the signs, the company that produced the maps and the contributor in Germany, the situation escalated, with the map company threatening the OSM contributor with legal action for libel. At that point FOSSGIS (our Local Chapter in Germany) became involved.

FOSSGIS have subsequently asked for power of attorney (PoA) to be granted and have sent a document to be signed by the board. The scope of the document was subsequently narrowed after a recommendation from the Licensing Working Group (updated document). It has been relayed to the board that FOSSGIS will pay any costs related to the specific case.

Related LWG discussion: 2019-08-08
Related talk-de discussion.

Lead: Frederik

Criteria to become a Local Chapter

The current minimum criteria for becoming a Local Chapter are outlined here.

In 2018 it was decided to initiate discussion on the osmf-talk mailing list about refining the criteria.

Points of discussion could be:

  • how established must a local organization be to be eligible to become a Local Chapter
  • how can we measure this as objectively as possible, and
  • how to handle applications from organizations that have a broader scope than just OSM.

A summary of the recent osmf-talk discussion will be provided.

Lead: Joost

Microgrants update

Providing microgrants was a topic discussed extensively during the Face-to-Face board meeting in 2018, where a plan was developed. You might know similar programs from e.g. OSM-US, HOT or FOSSGIS. As a start and as a first trial we want to make a time-bound program where you can apply for microgrants until a specific date.

Related board discussions: 2018 Sep, Aug, Jul, Jun, Apr, 2017 Aug, Jul, May.
Related board working sessions: 2019 Aug, 2018 Sep, Jul.
Related SotM 2018 session: there was a lightning talk, for community feedback

Advisory Board - monthly update

The Advisory Board members are separate from the OSMF board of directors - individuals are either nominated by Corporate Members of the OSMF or invited directly by the OSMF board of directors. The OSMF Board of Directors will publicly minute, in the board meeting minutes, any communication sent to, or received from, the AB members. This monthly section is reserved for this purpose. Overview.

AB related updates and board discussions:
2019 Jan, Mar, Jun, Jul

2018 Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Dec
2017 Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May (F2F), Oct

Next meeting

Meetings take place on the 3rd Wednesday of the month, at 19:00 London time, unless rescheduled.
The next monthly board meeting will be rescheduled due to SotM 2019.

Meeting end

Acronyms