Open to all OSMF members.
Guests are welcome to speak at the end of the meeting on the topics that have been discussed. Please note that text messages sent on Mumble chat may not be seen by people who join using mobile apps.
2019/Res16 Allow SotM Africa to use OSMF CiviCRM for their ticket sales, with conditions
|SotM Africa requested use of OSMF CiviCRM, to make it easier to manage ticket sales for the conference. Christine (SotM WG Lead) has volunteered to help with OSMF workload for this (configure CiviCRM, debug problems, generate coupon codes, manual sign ups).
We would do this if the following conditions are met by SotM Africa
Accepted 2019-07-30 with 6 votes in favour: Tobias Knerr, Paul Norman, Kate Chapman, Joost Schouppe, Heather Leson, Mikel Maron
2019/Res17 Approve financial hardship fee waiver 2019072910000077
|The Board currently decides on membership applications for a fee waiver due to financial need on a case-by-case basis.|
Accepted 2019-08-14 with 7 votes in favour: Kate Chapman, Paul Norman, Mikel Maron, Joost Schouppe, Tobias Knerr, Heather Leson, Frederik Ramm
Previous action items
The list is sortable and collapsible and contains items that did not arise from board meetings. Incomplete.
|Name||Date||Action item and status||Source||Related to|
|Not assigned||2019-07-17|| to contact Telenav about transfer of openstreetcam domain.
# Potentially also contact other parties, depending on the feedback from the LWG.
|Board||2019-07||to decide about the NextGIS donation.||Donation|
|Board||2019-07||to decide on next steps regarding an email service for OSMF.||FOSS policy|
|Board||2019-07||to decide on whether the team that plans a SotM in Africa can get the sponsorship amount from Facebook through OSMF. Unknown amount and whether this will be needed for more sponsors.
# Pre-requisites: Sign the SotM quick licence agreement and agree to provide invoices to OSMF prior to the money transfers.
|Board||2019-07||to provide feedback on Heather's draft email to OSM US, related to their interest in applying for LC status.||LC appl.|
|Frederik/Heather||2019-05-18||to complete and share job description for someone to prepare a pull request for acceptance against the current “openstreetmap-website” code that will implement these changes (related blogpost).
# Possibly completed.
|Frederik||2019-08||to pay Gunner for 2019 Face-to-Face board meeting facilitation.||F2F 2019||F2F|
|Frederik||2019-02-20||to create a circular about accepting the proposed budget. Once accepted, the budget will be put up on the OSMF website.||meeting||Budget|
|Frederik||2018-09-20||to update Roland Olbricht, maintainer of the Overpass API (downstream data controller).||meeting||GDPR|
|Joost/Mikel||2019-08||to write up a draft of the public documentation on the microgrants process, along with remaining questions and present at the August Board meeting.||F2F 2019||Microgrants|
|Joost||2019-07||to gather the responses from the WG survey.||F2F 2019||WGs|
|Heather||2018-12-20||to draft email to start off discussion on the osmf-talk mailing list about developing guidance for our involvement in politics/activism.
# Was Peter's. Assigned to Heather on 2018-12-20.
|Heather||2018-09||to draft post on OSM validation practices.||Vandalism|
|Heather||2018-08||to consult the Irish OSM community and the membership regarding the OpenStreetMap Ireland Local Chapter application.||LC appl.|
|Kate||2019-05-18||to write Administrative Assistant's job description.
# Possibly completed.
|F2F 2019||Admin. Assistant|
|Kate||2019-05-18||Board terms/Roles/Announcement: Write announcement and communication plan.||F2F 2019||Board terms|
|Kate||2018-12-20||to write to the Data Working Group to see if there's anything further the board can do to support them.||meeting||DWG|
|Kate||2018-09||to draft rapid response plan for when bad things happen.||Vandalism|
|Kate||2018-02-15||to follow up with Grant about the technical workaround of having conference announcement banners on osm.org linked to landing pages on the website.||meeting||OWG|
|Kate||2018-01-18||to update the etiquette and add a reporting plan.||meeting||Communication|
|Mikel/Paul||2019-06-19||to document the process on evaluating a Trademark request.||meeting||LWG|
|Mikel/Paul||2018-03-15|| to look at the ten most active mailing lists and see if people listed as admins are active in the moderator role, what is in place, and how they manage the lists.
# 2018-05-24 Mikel drafted email and both agreed on some modifications.
|Mikel/Joost||2019-05-18||to document working group practices, draft WG “rules of order".||F2F 2019||WGs|
# The plan won't be changed for the time being.
|Paul||2019-05-18||Pre-F2F2019 survey: Take feedback from to developers that is about software.
# Might have been completed.
|Paul||2018-05||to take feedback from the pre-F2F 2019 survey to developers that is about software.
# Might have been completed.
|Paul||2018-04-19||to document the evaluation process of software and services used by the OSMF.||meeting||FOSS policy|
|Paul||2016-10-28||to create a page on the wiki, listing software products which are used by OSMF and are closed-source and/or are externally hosted.
# Was Peter's
Action Item updates
Power of Attorney request from FOSSGIS
|A long-term German contributor noticed signs with maps clearly based on OSM and without attribution. In the correspondence between the company that erected the signs, the company that produced the maps and the contributor in Germany, the situation escalated, with the map company threatening the OSM contributor with legal action for libel. At that point FOSSGIS (our Local Chapter in Germany) became involved.
FOSSGIS have subsequently asked for power of attorney (PoA) to be granted and have sent a document to be signed by the board. The scope of the document was then narrowed down, after a recommendation from the Licensing Working Group (updated document). It has been relayed to the board that FOSSGIS will pay any costs related to the specific case.
Articles of Association changes for the 2019 Annual General Meeting
|Threats and take-over scenarios were discussed during the 2019 Face-to-Face (F2F) meeting and the board had started working on some suggested changes in the Articles of Association (AoA), to be put to vote on the 2019 Annual General Meeting (AGM). The AoA changes aim to (amongst others):
The board had notified the MWG after the F2F about what they had started working on, while nothing had been finalised at that time. The plan is to allow members to vote on these changes individually, i.e. they can reject one and accept the other if they wish.
In this meeting there will be either a discussion about the content or a decision on forwarding the suggested changes to MWG for feedback.
Board seats at the next election
|The board has drafted an announcement about the seats that will be available at the next election, so that members can start thinking about nominations. The announcement might get published before the meeting.|
Criteria to become a Local Chapter
|The current minimum criteria for becoming a Local Chapter are outlined here.
Points of discussion could be:
A summary of the recent osmf-talk discussion will be provided.
|Providing microgrants was a topic discussed extensively during the 2018 Face-to-Face board meeting, where a plan was developed. You might know similar programs from e.g. OSM-US, HOT or FOSSGIS. As a start and as a first trial we want to make a time-bound program where you can apply for microgrants until a specific date. A consultation document was shared in 2018 with the membership and the Advisory Board members, which contained an outline and top questions. There were also two microgrant-related sessions at the State of the Map 2018 conference (read some discussion points and questions). |
Work on Microgrants was paused in 2018 and restarted after the 2019 F2F meeting. Currently two of the board members are working on them. The plan is to merge all the documents in a public wiki page and identify points that need to be voted on by the board. The current working document has notes on:
The document has not been finalised yet and the board has not been asked to provide feedback or vote on parts of it.
Related board discussions: 2018 Sep, Aug, Jul, Jun, Apr, 2017 Aug, Jul, May.
Advisory Board - monthly update
|The Advisory Board members are separate from the OSMF board of directors - individuals are either nominated by Corporate Members of the OSMF or invited directly by the OSMF board of directors. The OSMF Board of Directors will publicly minute, in the board meeting minutes, any communication sent to, or received from, the AB members. This monthly section is reserved for this purpose. Overview. |
Meetings take place on the 3rd Wednesday of the month, at 19:00 London time, unless rescheduled.
The next monthly board meeting will be rescheduled due to SotM 2019.