Difference between revisions of "Board/Minutes/2019-10-16"

From OpenStreetMap Foundation
(+ Circular resolution 2019/Res21 Sign FOSSGIS PoA)
(+ topics)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
<div style="margin:2px 0;border:1px solid #9B9;background:#EFE;color:#000;padding:2px .5em;text-align:center">
 
<div style="margin:2px 0;border:1px solid #9B9;background:#EFE;color:#000;padding:2px .5em;text-align:center">
   
<font color="red">Draft page.</font><br>
+
<font color="red">Draft agenda.</font><br>
   
 
Location: Channel "OSMF Board of Directors (Public)" on [https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mumble Mumble].<br>
 
Location: Channel "OSMF Board of Directors (Public)" on [https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mumble Mumble].<br>
Line 74: Line 74:
 
== Action items updates ==
 
== Action items updates ==
   
== More topics to be added ==
 
  +
  +
== Attribution by Facebook ==
  +
{| class="wikitable"
  +
|-
  +
|''Facebook uses OSM data in various of its products. It is also an OSMF Gold [[Corporate_Members|Corporate member]]. The lack or way that it does attribution has been a subject of community discussions in the past years (see links towards the end of this section). ''
  +
  +
''On 2019-06-06 a [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2019-June/082653.html request] was made to the OSMF board, as the Licensor under ODbL 9.4 c), to notify Facebook and remove their rights under ODbL, if the attribution violation is not fixed after 30 days of notice, as written on [https://opendatacommons.org/licenses/odbl/1.0/index.html ODbL].''
  +
  +
''Suggestions for discussion:''
  +
* ''Ask the [[Licensing_Working_Group| Licencing Working Group]] (LWG) for an analysis of the problems and their previous actions.''
  +
* ''Ask LWG to report on the status of the new attribution guidelines during this meeting.''
  +
* ''Let the community know that we're working on this.''
  +
* ''Contact Facebook to say that our community is really worried, and that this might result in problems for them at some point.''
  +
* ''Ask Facebook to communicate more clearly about their relationship with OSM, when they communicate.''
  +
  +
''The current requirements for attribution are specified on the [[Licence/Licence_and_Legal_FAQ| Licence and Legal FAQ]]. The LWG is currently working on producing an updated version of the document ([https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ocFjDlDuUk_8udl3f1oaOiF6JB7-oIJ1 Snapshot of draft on 2019-10-07]).''
  +
  +
''Related community discussions:''
  +
* ''2018 [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2018-June/005197.html Jun-EN], [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-de/2018-June/115060.html Jun-DE]''
  +
* ''2019 [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-fr/2019-February/091699.html Feb-FR], [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2019-February/082136.html Feb], [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2019-March/082139.html Mar], [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2019-June/082653.html Jun], [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2019-October/006243.html Oct]<br>
  +
Related [[Licensing_Working_Group| LWG]] topic: 2018 [https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZHqr3cpscHfjyhLW6A1tCN6RXuXVE7qjmjPgOUzELR0/edit Jun]''
  +
|-
  +
| ''Lead: Joost''
  +
|}
  +
  +
== Working Groups - Board relation ==
  +
{| class="wikitable"
  +
|-
  +
|''The relation of the Working Groups and the board has been a subject of [[Minutes/2019-05_F2F#Working_groups| discussion]] during the 2019 board face-to-face meeting, which prompted a survey to be sent to the [[Working_Groups|Working Groups]]. Feedback was received from representatives of the [[Data_Working_Group| Data]], [[Membership_Working_Group| Membership]] and the [[StateoftheMap_Organizing_Committee| State of the Map]] Working Groups. Additionally, there was a discussion between board and WG members present at State of the Map 2019 in Heidelberg ([https://2019.stateofthemap.org/sessions/9MR9QK/ description of session], [https://media.ccc.de/v/sotm2019-1294-board-working-groups-meeting video]).''
  +
  +
''Related board discussions: ''
  +
[https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2019-03-20#Communicating_decisions_back_to_Working_Groups Mar], [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2019-04-24#Board_-_Working_Groups_meeting_at_State_of_the_Map Apr], [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2019-06-19#Working_Groups_survey Jun]
  +
|-
  +
| ''Lead: Joost''
  +
|}
  +
  +
== Annual General Meeting planning ==
  +
{| class="wikitable"
  +
|-
  +
|''Planning the 2019 [[Annual_General_Meetings|Annual General Meeting]], which will take place in December.''
  +
  +
''Related board discussion: [[Board/Minutes/2019-08#Articles_of_Association_changes_for_the_2019_Annual_General_Meeting| Aug ]] (Articles of Association changes)''
  +
|-
  +
|}
  +
  +
== Microgrants update ==
  +
{| class="wikitable"
  +
|-
  +
|''Providing microgrants was a topic discussed extensively during the [https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2018/05/29/f2f-board_meeting-2018/ 2018 Face-to-Face board meeting], where a plan was developed. You might know similar programs from e.g. OSM-US, HOT or FOSSGIS. As a start and as a first trial we want to make a time-bound program where you can apply for microgrants until a specific date. A [[Microgrants_Consultation_document|consultation document]] was shared in 2018 with the [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2018-September/005296.html membership] and the Advisory Board members, which contained an outline and top questions. There were also two microgrant-related sessions at the [https://2018.stateofthemap.org State of the Map 2018] conference ([[Board/Minutes/2018-08-16#Microgrants_update|read some discussion points and questions]]).'' <br>
  +
  +
''Work on Microgrants was paused in 2018 and restarted after the [[Board/Minutes/2019-05_F2F| 2019 F2F]] meeting.
  +
  +
''[https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/File:Microgrants_working_document_snapshot_2019-10-11.odt This document] has been put to vote (voting closes on 2019-10-18).''
  +
  +
''Related board discussions:
  +
* 2019 [[Board/Minutes/2019-08#Microgrants_update| Sep]]
  +
* 2018 [https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2018/05/29/f2f-board_meeting-2018/ Apr], [[Board/Minutes/2018-06-21#Microgrants_update| Jun]], [[Board/Minutes/2018-07-19#Microgrants_update |Jul]], [[Board/Minutes/2018-08-16#Microgrants_update| Aug]], [[Board/Minutes/2018-09-20#Microgrants_update| Sep]]
  +
* 2017 [https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2017/06/27/summary-of-boards-face-to-face-meeting/ May], [[Board/Minutes/2017-07-18#Microgrant_Fundraising| Jul]], [[Board/Minutes/2017-08-24#Question_about_any_decision_on_microgrants| Aug]]''<br>
  +
''Related osmf-talk discussions: 2019 [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2019-August/006148.html Aug], 2018 [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2018-October/005334.html Oct] (asking for input) <br>
  +
''Related board working sessions: 2019 Aug, 2018 Sep, Jul.''<br>
  +
''Related SotM 2018 session: there was a lightning talk, for community feedback''<br>
  +
|-
  +
| ''Lead: Joost''
  +
|}
   
 
== Advisory Board - monthly update ==
 
== Advisory Board - monthly update ==

Revision as of 17:52, 11 October 2019

Draft agenda.

Location: Channel "OSMF Board of Directors (Public)" on Mumble.
Date and time: Wednesday 16th October, 19:00 London time
Countdown

Participants

Board members

Biographies

Guests

Open to all OSMF members.

Guests are welcome to speak at the end of the meeting on the topics that have been discussed. Please note that text messages sent on Mumble chat may not be seen by people who join using mobile apps.

Not Present

Administrative

Previous minutes

Circular Resolutions

Board_Rules_of_Order#7._Circular_Resolutions

2019/Res18 Approve financial hardship fee waiver 2019080110000108

The Board currently decides on membership applications for a fee waiver due to financial need on a case-by-case basis.

Accepted 2019-08-29 with 6 votes in favour: Heather Leson, Frederik Ramm, Tobias Knerr, Joost Schouppe, Kate Chapman, Mikel Maron
1 not voted: Paul Norman

2019/Res19 Approve financial hardship fee waiver 2019080710000053

The Board currently decides on membership applications for a fee waiver due to financial need on a case-by-case basis.

Accepted 2019-07-30 with 6 votes in favour: Frederik Ramm, Joost Schouppe, Heather Leson, Mikel Maron, Kate Chapman, Tobias Knerr
1 not voted: Paul Norman

2019/Res20 OSM Ireland to become an OSMF Chapter

OSM Ireland has completed the paperwork to become a formal OSMF Chapter. The community and .ie community were consulted. There was one dissenting opinion, which was addressed. Please see the application documents. OSM IE will have representatives at SOTM. It would be great to welcome them as a chapter.

Accepted 2019-09-15 with 6 votes in favour: Kate Chapman, Paul Norman, Joost Schouppe, Mikel Maron, Frederik Ramm, Heather Leson
1 abstained: Tobias Knerr

2019/Res21 Sign FOSSGIS PoA

Let us sign the original PoA and send it to them accompanied by a separate message that says we expect them to keep us appraised of any developments. Details see Mikel’s email to board dated 22 Sep 2019 subject “Informal meeting of OSMF and FOSSGIS”.

Voting closes on 2019-10-11

Related to Power of Attorney request from FOSSGIS (2019-08).

Previous action items

Action items updates

Attribution by Facebook

Facebook uses OSM data in various of its products. It is also an OSMF Gold Corporate member. The lack or way that it does attribution has been a subject of community discussions in the past years (see links towards the end of this section).

On 2019-06-06 a request was made to the OSMF board, as the Licensor under ODbL 9.4 c), to notify Facebook and remove their rights under ODbL, if the attribution violation is not fixed after 30 days of notice, as written on ODbL.

Suggestions for discussion:

  • Ask the Licencing Working Group (LWG) for an analysis of the problems and their previous actions.
  • Ask LWG to report on the status of the new attribution guidelines during this meeting.
  • Let the community know that we're working on this.
  • Contact Facebook to say that our community is really worried, and that this might result in problems for them at some point.
  • Ask Facebook to communicate more clearly about their relationship with OSM, when they communicate.

The current requirements for attribution are specified on the Licence and Legal FAQ. The LWG is currently working on producing an updated version of the document (Snapshot of draft on 2019-10-07).

Related community discussions:

Related LWG topic: 2018 Jun

Lead: Joost

Working Groups - Board relation

The relation of the Working Groups and the board has been a subject of discussion during the 2019 board face-to-face meeting, which prompted a survey to be sent to the Working Groups. Feedback was received from representatives of the Data, Membership and the State of the Map Working Groups. Additionally, there was a discussion between board and WG members present at State of the Map 2019 in Heidelberg (description of session, video).

Related board discussions: Mar, Apr, Jun

Lead: Joost

Annual General Meeting planning

Planning the 2019 Annual General Meeting, which will take place in December.

Related board discussion: Aug (Articles of Association changes)

Microgrants update

Providing microgrants was a topic discussed extensively during the 2018 Face-to-Face board meeting, where a plan was developed. You might know similar programs from e.g. OSM-US, HOT or FOSSGIS. As a start and as a first trial we want to make a time-bound program where you can apply for microgrants until a specific date. A consultation document was shared in 2018 with the membership and the Advisory Board members, which contained an outline and top questions. There were also two microgrant-related sessions at the State of the Map 2018 conference (read some discussion points and questions).

Work on Microgrants was paused in 2018 and restarted after the 2019 F2F meeting.

This document has been put to vote (voting closes on 2019-10-18).

Related board discussions:

Related osmf-talk discussions: 2019 Aug, 2018 Oct (asking for input)
Related board working sessions: 2019 Aug, 2018 Sep, Jul.
Related SotM 2018 session: there was a lightning talk, for community feedback

Lead: Joost

Advisory Board - monthly update

The Advisory Board members are separate from the OSMF board of directors - individuals are either nominated by Corporate Members of the OSMF or invited directly by the OSMF board of directors. The OSMF Board of Directors will publicly minute, in the board meeting minutes, any communication sent to, or received from, the AB members. This monthly section is reserved for this purpose. Overview.

AB related updates and board discussions:
2019 Jan, Mar, Jun, Jul, Aug

2018 Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Dec
2017 Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May (F2F), Oct

Lead: Heather

Any other business

Guest comments or questions

Next meeting

Meetings take place online on the 3rd Wednesday of the month, at 19:00 London time, unless rescheduled.
The next monthly board meeting will be on the 20th November 2019 at 19:00 London time, unless rescheduled.

Meeting end

Acronyms