Board/Minutes/2020-01

From OpenStreetMap Foundation
Revision as of 16:25, 30 January 2020 by Dorothea (talk | contribs) (→‎Diversity: + link to short text on creating a Diversity and Inclusion Special Committee)

Location: Channel "OSMF Board of Directors (Public)" on Mumble.
Date and time: Thursday 30 January 2020, 17:00 UTC - Countdown

Acronyms

Participants

Board members

New link to biographies to be added.

Guests

Open to all OSMF members.

Guests are welcome to speak at the end of the meeting on the topics that have been discussed. Please note that text messages sent on Mumble chat may not be seen by people who join using mobile apps.

Not Present

Administrative

Previous minutes

Circular Resolutions

Board_Rules_of_Order#7._Circular_Resolutions

2020/Res01 Approve financial hardship fee waiver 2019120910000087

The Board currently decides on membership applications for a fee waiver due to financial need on a case-by-case basis.

Accepted 2020-01-14 with 5 votes in favour: Mikel Maron, Rory McCann, Joost Schouppe, Tobias Knerr, Guillaume Rischard.
2 not voted: Allan Mustard, Paul Norman.

2020/Res02 Approve financial hardship fee waiver 2019120710000116

The Board currently decides on membership applications for a fee waiver due to financial need on a case-by-case basis.

Accepted 2020-01-14 with 5 votes in favour: Mikel Maron, Rory McCann, Joost Schouppe, Tobias Knerr, Guillaume Rischard.
1 against: Paul Norman.
1 not voted: Allan Mustard.

2020/Res03 Approve financial hardship fee waiver 2019120410000087

The Board currently decides on membership applications for a fee waiver due to financial need on a case-by-case basis.

Accepted 2020-01-14 with 5 votes in favour: Mikel Maron, Tobias Knerr, Rory McCann, Joost Schouppe, Guillaume Rischard.
2 not voted: Allan Mustard, Paul Norman.

2020/Res04 Approve financial hardship fee waiver 2019122510000083

The Board currently decides on membership applications for a fee waiver due to financial need on a case-by-case basis.

Accepted 2020-01-21 with 3 votes in favour: Mikel Maron, Guillaume Rischard ("Significant mapping contribution"), Rory McCann.
2 against: Paul Norman ("Does not list any financial hardship") , Joost Schouppe ("No info about hardship").
1 abstained: Tobias Knerr ("Application is missing information about financial hardship, but with the extended fee waiver on the horizon, I'm reluctant to reject it on that basis.").
1 not voted: Allan Mustard.

2020/Res05 Approve financial hardship fee waiver 2020010110000074

The Board currently decides on membership applications for a fee waiver due to financial need on a case-by-case basis.

Accepted 2020-01-21 with 5 votes in favour: Mikel Maron, Joost Schouppe, Paul Norman, Rory McCann, Tobias Knerr.
2 not voted: Allan Mustard, Guillaume Rischard.

2020/Res06 Approve financial hardship fee waiver 2020011510000021

The Board currently decides on membership applications for a fee waiver due to financial need on a case-by-case basis.

Accepted 2020-01-23 with 3 votes in favour: Guillaume Rischard ("Significant mapping contribution"), Rory McCann, Tobias Knerr
2 against: Paul Norman ("Minimal information on financial hardship"), Joost Schouppe ("This is a bit low effort").
1 abstained: Allan Mustard ("Good mapper but insufficient data on financial hardship").
1 not voted: Mikel Maron.

Previous action items

The list is sortable, expandable and contains items that did not arise from board meetings. Incomplete.

Name Date Action item and status Source Related to
Board 2019-09 to decide about registration at the Benevity Causes Portal email Donation
Board 2019-07 to decide on next steps regarding an email service for OSMF. email FOSS policy
Board 2019-06 to decide on next steps regarding the request from a contributor to notify Facebook and remove their rights under ODbL if the violation is not fixed after 30 days of notice, as written on ODbL.
# Related talk@ discussion

The decision seems to be (2019-10) to work on a running document (questions/opportunities/decisions to be made) and contact Facebook afterwards with a list of questions.
email LWG
Frederik/Heather 2019-05-18 to complete and share job description for someone to prepare a pull request for acceptance against the current “openstreetmap-website” code that will implement these changes (related blogpost).
# Possibly completed.
F2F 2019 GDPR
Guillaume 2019-12-23 to pay Loomio when our free period runs out. Meeting Loomio
Joost/Heather 2019-10-16 to work on a running document regarding Facebook attribution. Meeting Facebook
Joost/Heather 2019-10-16 to work on a blogpost regarding Microgrants. Meeting Microgrants
Joost Heather 2019-08-23 to process the OSGeo Oceania Local Chapter application and review the satisfaction of the minimum LC requirements. email Local Chapters
Joost Heather 2019-07-23 to process the FreeMap Slovakia Local Chapter applicationand review the satisfaction of the minimum LC requirements. email Local Chapters
Joost Heather 2019-06-27 to process the OpenStreetMap Česká Local Chapter application and review the satisfaction of the minimum LC requirements. email Local Chapters
Heather 2018-12-20 to draft email to start off discussion on the osmf-talk mailing list about developing guidance for our involvement in politics/activism.
# Was Peter's. Assigned to Heather on 2018-12-20.
meeting Activism
Heather 2018-09 to draft post on OSM validation practices. email Vandalism
Kate 2019-05-18 to write Administrative Assistant's job description.
# Possibly completed.
F2F 2019 Admin. Assistant
Kate 2018-12-20 to write to the Data Working Group to see if there's anything further the board can do to support them. meeting DWG
Kate 2018-09 to draft rapid response plan for when bad things happen. email Vandalism
Kate 2018-02-15 to follow up with Grant about the technical workaround of having conference announcement banners on osm.org linked to landing pages on the website. meeting OWG
Kate 2018-01-18 to update the etiquette and add a reporting plan. meeting Communication
Mikel/Paul 2018-03-15 to look at the ten most active mailing lists and see if people listed as admins are active in the moderator role, what is in place, and how they manage the lists.
# 2018-05-24 Mikel drafted email and both agreed on some modifications.
meeting Communication
Mikel/Joost 2019-05-18 to document working group practices, draft WG “rules of order". F2F 2019 WGs
Paul 2019-06-19 to switch limesurvey plan to annual & expert, transfer (limesurvey) ownership to OWG, billing to OSMF and give access to Mikel, Joost and Dorothea.
# The plan won't be changed for the time being.
meeting Surveys
Paul 2018-05 to take feedback from the pre-F2F 2019 survey to developers that is about software.
# Might have been completed.
F2F 2019 Survey
Paul 2018-04-19 to document the evaluation process of software and services used by the OSMF. meeting FOSS policy
Paul 2016-10-28 to create a page on the wiki, listing software products which are used by OSMF and are closed-source and/or are externally hosted.
# Was Peter's
meeting FOSS policy

Action items updates

Diversity

Links for background:
Guillaume

Attribution and lack thereof

Links for background:
Guillaume

Restricting new memberships to people with significant investment to OSM

Related to 2019-12 topic, discussed during the Any Other Business section of the meeting.

Proposal by Guillaume (member of the Membership Working Group) (MWG) to instruct MWG to automatically accept all memberships from members who have more than 15 days of mapping within the last year and submit all others to board for consideration.

Guillaume

Appointment of Board Committees

Background provided:

Under most rules of order, chairpersons may appoint committees chaired by members of the board but including volunteer members of the organization (community) to study and recommend actions on issues brought before the board. This approach is needed to clear the backlog of "action items", which includes items dating as far back as 2016. I propose to appoint ad hoc committees of the Board to 1) clear the backlog and b) deal with each future "action item" (aka "new business") in a more expeditious manner.

From the Articles of Association:
91. The Board may delegate any of their powers to committees consisting of such member or members of the Board as they think fit, and any committee so formed shall, in the exercise of the powers so delegated, conform to any regulations imposed on it by the Board. The meetings and proceedings of any such committee shall be governed by the provisions of the Articles for regulating the meetings and proceedings of the Board so far as applicable and so far as the same shall not be superseded by any regulations made by the Board.

Allan

Microgrants policy - proposal to vote

Feedback from the membership was provided (osmf-talk thread) on the second published draft of the Microgrants policy (diff with first version). Proposal to vote to accept this document as the official policy. If accepted, the board might decide to launch a call for people to join the Microgrants Committee.

--
Providing microgrants was a topic discussed extensively during the 2018 Face-to-Face board meeting, where a plan was developed. You might know similar programs from e.g. OSM-US, HOT or FOSSGIS. As a start and as a first trial we want to make a time-bound program where you can apply for microgrants until a specific date. A consultation document was shared in 2018 with the membership and the Advisory Board members, which contained an outline and top questions. There were also two microgrant-related sessions at the State of the Map 2018 conference (read some discussion points and questions).

Work on Microgrants was paused in 2018 and restarted after the 2019 F2F meeting.

Feedback from the membership was asked on:

Related board discussions:

Related osmf-talk discussions:

Related board working sessions: 2019 Aug & Oct, 2018 Jul & Sep.
Related SotM 2018 session: there was a lightning talk, for community feedback

Joost

Evaluating financial need of fee waivers

Under the fee waiver program, we can only give someone a fee waiver if paying the fee would constitute an unreasonable burden to the member. Some applicants give little to no information on their financial situation. If they do not give enough information that the board members are satisfied they have a financial hardship, their fee waiver applications need to be rejected.
Paul

Advisory Board - monthly update

The Advisory Board members are separate from the OSMF board of directors - individuals are either nominated by Corporate Members of the OSMF or invited directly by the OSMF board of directors. The OSMF Board of Directors will publicly minute, in the board meeting minutes, any communication sent to, or received from, the AB members. This monthly section is reserved for this purpose. Overview.

AB related updates and board discussions:
2019 Jan, Mar, Jun, Jul, Aug, Oct

2018 Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Dec
2017 Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May (F2F), Oct

Joost

Any other business

Guest comments or questions

Closed portion of meeting

Working with Dorothea

Reason provided for closed portion:

Details of how we structure and implement our engagement with Dorothea in the future are not finalized, and are sensitive in nature. Once the mechanism is finalized, there will be no issue to share the key points in public.

Related osmf-talk discussion: 2019 Nov (Working with Dorothea full-time).

Past (closed) discussions/circular resolutions:
2019 Jan, Feb (Circular Resolution), Jun
2018 Jan, Feb
2017 Mar , Apr

Next meeting

New recurring date and time pending.

Acronyms