Difference between revisions of "Board/Minutes/2020-02"

From OpenStreetMap Foundation
m (→‎Previous action items: 01-17 -> 01-30, + note about blue colour and minor colouring)
Line 102: Line 102:
 
=== Previous action items ===
 
=== Previous action items ===
   
The list is sortable, expandable and contains items that did not arise from board meetings. Incomplete.
+
The list is sortable, expandable and contains items that did not arise from board meetings. Incomplete. <br> Items in <font color="blue">blue</font> are either new or have updates.
   
 
{| class="wikitable mw-collapsible mw-collapsed sortable"
 
{| class="wikitable mw-collapsible mw-collapsed sortable"
Line 111: Line 111:
 
! Related to
 
! Related to
 
|-
 
|-
| Board
 
  +
| <font color="blue">Board</font>
| 2019-09
+
| <font color="blue">2019-09</font>
 
| to decide about registration at the Benevity Causes Portal <br> <font color="blue">''# Email sent to Benevity (2020-02-26).''</font>
 
| to decide about registration at the Benevity Causes Portal <br> <font color="blue">''# Email sent to Benevity (2020-02-26).''</font>
| email
 
  +
| <font color="blue">email</font>
| Donation
+
| <font color="blue">Donation</font>
 
|-
 
|-
| Board
 
  +
| <font color="blue">Board</font>
| 2019-07
+
| <font color="blue">2019-07</font>
 
| to decide on next steps regarding an email service for OSMF. <br> <font color="blue">''# Guillaume is looking into it (2020-02).''</font>
 
| to decide on next steps regarding an email service for OSMF. <br> <font color="blue">''# Guillaume is looking into it (2020-02).''</font>
| email
 
  +
| <font color="blue">email</font>
| FOSS policy
+
| <font color="blue">FOSS policy</font>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Board
 
| Board
Line 130: Line 130:
 
|-
 
|-
 
| <font color="blue">Allan</font>
 
| <font color="blue">Allan</font>
| <font color="blue">2020-01-17</font>
+
| <font color="blue">2020-01-30</font>
 
| <font color="blue"> [[Minutes/2020-01#Appointment_of_Board_Committees|to recirculate]] to the board the document with the previous action items and to appoint the board volunteers to committees.</font>
 
| <font color="blue"> [[Minutes/2020-01#Appointment_of_Board_Committees|to recirculate]] to the board the document with the previous action items and to appoint the board volunteers to committees.</font>
 
| <font color="blue">meeting</font>
 
| <font color="blue">meeting</font>
Line 142: Line 142:
 
|-
 
|-
 
| <font color="blue">Guillaume</font>
 
| <font color="blue">Guillaume</font>
| <font color="blue">2020-01-17</font>
+
| <font color="blue">2020-01-30</font>
 
| <font color="blue">[[Board/Minutes/2020-01#Evaluating_financial_need_of_fee_waivers|to ask]] the MWG to not forward to the board any membership fee waiver applications that just provide a few words about financial hardship. </font>
 
| <font color="blue">[[Board/Minutes/2020-01#Evaluating_financial_need_of_fee_waivers|to ask]] the MWG to not forward to the board any membership fee waiver applications that just provide a few words about financial hardship. </font>
 
| <font color="blue">Meeting</font>
 
| <font color="blue">Meeting</font>
Line 159: Line 159:
 
| Facebook
 
| Facebook
 
|-
 
|-
| <s>Joost/Heather</s>
+
| <font color="blue"><s>Joost/Heather</s></font>
| <s>2019-10-16</s>
+
| <font color="blue"><s>2019-10-16</s></font>
 
| <s>to work on a blogpost regarding [[Board/Minutes/2019-10-16#Microgrants_update| Microgrants]].</s> <br> <font color="blue">''# Call for microgrants committee [https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2020/02/17/call-for-microgrants-committee/ published]. ''</font>
 
| <s>to work on a blogpost regarding [[Board/Minutes/2019-10-16#Microgrants_update| Microgrants]].</s> <br> <font color="blue">''# Call for microgrants committee [https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2020/02/17/call-for-microgrants-committee/ published]. ''</font>
 
| <font color="blue">Meeting</font>
 
| <font color="blue">Meeting</font>
Line 171: Line 171:
 
| Local Chapters
 
| Local Chapters
 
|-
 
|-
| Joost <s>Heather</s>
+
| <font color="blue">Joost <s>Heather</s></font>
| 2019-06-27
+
| <font color="blue"> 2019-06-27</font>
 
| to process the [[Local_Chapters/Applications/Czechia| OpenStreetMap Česká Local Chapter application]]. <br> <font color="blue">'' # Consultation period ended''.</font>
 
| to process the [[Local_Chapters/Applications/Czechia| OpenStreetMap Česká Local Chapter application]]. <br> <font color="blue">'' # Consultation period ended''.</font>
 
| <font color="blue">email</font>
 
| <font color="blue">email</font>
Line 244: Line 244:
 
|-
 
|-
 
| <font color="blue">Mikel</font>
 
| <font color="blue">Mikel</font>
| <font color="blue">2020-01-17</font>
+
| <font color="blue">2020-01-30</font>
| <font color="blue">[[Minutes/2020-01#Appointment_of_Board_Committees|to draft]] proposed changes to [[Board_Rules_of_Order|board rules of order]] and go back to the board.</font>
+
| <font color="blue">[[Board/Minutes/2020-01#Appointment_of_Board_Committees|to draft]] proposed changes to [[Board_Rules_of_Order|board rules of order]] and go back to the board.</font>
 
| <font color="blue">meeting</font>
 
| <font color="blue">meeting</font>
 
| <font color="blue">Rules of order</font>
 
| <font color="blue">Rules of order</font>

Revision as of 01:14, 27 February 2020

Location: Channel "OSMF Board of Directors (Public)" on Mumble.
Date and time: Thursday, 27th of February 2020 at 17:00 UTC - Countdown

Acronyms

Participants

Board members

Biographies.

Guests

Open to all OSMF members.

Guests are welcome to speak at the end of the meeting on the topics that have been discussed. Please note that text messages sent on Mumble chat may not be seen by people who join using mobile apps.

Not Present

Administrative

Previous minutes

Circular Resolutions

Board_Rules_of_Order#7._Circular_Resolutions

2020/Res07 Approve financial hardship fee waiver 2019121810000079

The Board currently decides on membership applications for a fee waiver due to financial need on a case-by-case basis.

Accepted 2020-01-31 with 4 votes in favour: Joost Schouppe, Rory McCann, Tobias Knerr, Mikel Maron.
3 not voted: Allan Mustard, Guillaume Rischard, Paul Norman.

2020/Res08 Approve financial hardship fee waiver 2019123010000108

The Board currently decides on membership applications for a fee waiver due to financial need on a case-by-case basis.

Accepted 2020-01-31 with 5 votes in favour: Joost Schouppe, Paul Norman, Rory McCann, Tobias Knerr, Mikel Maron.
2 not voted: Allan Mustard, Guillaume Rischard.

2020/Res09 Approve financial hardship fee waiver 2020012310000078

The Board currently decides on membership applications for a fee waiver due to financial need on a case-by-case basis.

Not accepted on 2020-01-31 with 6 votes against: Joost Schouppe (they do not talk about their own financial situation), Paul Norman, Rory McCann, Tobias Knerr, Mikel Maron, Allan Mustard (He says nothing about his own personal financial situation).
1 not voted: Guillaume Rischard.

2020/Res10 Approve financial hardship fee waiver 2020012710000089

The Board currently decides on membership applications for a fee waiver due to financial need on a case-by-case basis.

Not accepted on 2020-02-03 with 3 votes against: Paul Norman, Rory McCann (Not enough information on financial hardship), Tobias Knerr (Not enough information on financial hardship).
3 votes in favour: Mikel Maron, Guillaume Rischard (Substantial contribution), Joost Schouppe (15 euros is in fact a huge amount for most people in that country)
1 not voted: Allan Mustard.

2020/Res11 Approve financial hardship fee waiver 2019103110000057

The Board currently decides on membership applications for a fee waiver due to financial need on a case-by-case basis.

Not accepted on 2020-02-02 with 2 votes against: Paul Norman, Tobias Knerr (Not enough information on financial hardship, should be encouraged to reapply with more information).
2 abstained: Mikel Maron (I think it’s sufficient info, but will go with consensus to ask for more info), Guillaume Rischard (Same as Allan).
3 not voted: Allan Mustard (Perhaps we can ask him for more details on his financial hardship and to resubmit with that information), Rory McCann, Joost Schouppe.

2020/Res12 Reaffirm support for existing value statements

The OSMF board reaffirms our support for the community's core values described at https://wiki.osm.org/Foundation/Core_Values. In addition, we view https://wiki.osm.org/How_We_Map as a good summary of how the OSM community works. We do not intend the Foundation's recently adopted Diversity Statement to be at odds with either of these older documents.

Accepted 2020-02-20 with 6 votes in favour: Tobias Knerr, Joost Schouppe, Allan Mustard (There is sufficient confusion in the OSM community that I view this statement as necessary), Paul Norman, Rory McCann (It's good to be 100% clear), Guillaume Rischard (In my view, all of these are on the same level in the hierarchy of norms).
1 abstained: Mikel Maron (There’s nothing I disagree with in the statement. But I don’t think it’s necessary for OSMF to officially reaffirm anything here).

2020/Res13 Approve the OWG budget at the high option

The Operations Working Group has proposed a budget with low/medium/high options costing £58k/£93k/£110k.

Accepted 2020-02-23 with 7 votes in favour: Joost Schouppe, Paul Norman, Mikel Maron, Allan Mustard, Tobias Knerr, Guillaume Rischard, Rory McCann.

Previous action items

The list is sortable, expandable and contains items that did not arise from board meetings. Incomplete.
Items in blue are either new or have updates.

Name Date Action item and status Source Related to
Board 2019-09 to decide about registration at the Benevity Causes Portal
# Email sent to Benevity (2020-02-26).
email Donation
Board 2019-07 to decide on next steps regarding an email service for OSMF.
# Guillaume is looking into it (2020-02).
email FOSS policy
Board 2019-06 to decide on next steps regarding the request from a contributor to notify Facebook and remove their rights under ODbL if the violation is not fixed after 30 days of notice, as written on ODbL.
# Related talk@ discussion

The decision seems to be (2019-10) to work on a running document (questions/opportunities/decisions to be made) and contact Facebook afterwards with a list of questions.
email LWG
Allan 2020-01-30 to recirculate to the board the document with the previous action items and to appoint the board volunteers to committees. meeting Action items
Frederik/Heather 2019-05-18 to complete and share job description for someone to prepare a pull request for acceptance against the current “openstreetmap-website” code that will implement these changes (related blogpost).
# Possibly completed.
F2F 2019 GDPR
Guillaume 2020-01-30 to ask the MWG to not forward to the board any membership fee waiver applications that just provide a few words about financial hardship. Meeting Fee waivers
Guillaume 2019-12-23 to pay Loomio when our free period runs out. Meeting MWG
Joost/Heather 2019-10-16 to work on a running document regarding Facebook attribution. Meeting Facebook
Joost/Heather 2019-10-16 to work on a blogpost regarding Microgrants.
# Call for microgrants committee published.
Meeting Microgrants
Joost Heather 2018-12-28 to process the OpenStreetMap Uganda Local Chapter application.
# In progress.
email Local Chapters
Joost Heather 2019-06-27 to process the OpenStreetMap Česká Local Chapter application.
# Consultation period ended.
email Local Chapters
Joost Heather 2019-07-23 to process the FreeMap Slovakia Local Chapter application.
# In progress.
email Local Chapters
Joost Heather 2019-08-23 to process the OSGeo Oceania Local Chapter application.
# In progress.
email Local Chapters
Joost Heather 2019-09-19 to process the OpenStreetMap RDC Local Chapter application.
# In progress.
email Local Chapters
Joost 2020-01-20 to process the Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova Local Chapter application.
# In progress.
email Local Chapters
Heather 2018-12-20 to draft email to start off discussion on the osmf-talk mailing list about developing guidance for our involvement in politics/activism.
# Was Peter's. Assigned to Heather on 2018-12-20.
meeting Activism
Heather 2018-09 to draft post on OSM validation practices. email Vandalism
Kate 2019-05-18 to write Administrative Assistant's job description.
# Possibly completed.
F2F 2019 Admin. Assistant
Kate 2018-12-20 to write to the Data Working Group to see if there's anything further the board can do to support them. meeting DWG
Kate 2018-09 to draft rapid response plan for when bad things happen. email Vandalism
Kate 2018-02-15 to follow up with Grant about the technical workaround of having conference announcement banners on osm.org linked to landing pages on the website. meeting OWG
Kate 2018-01-18 to update the etiquette and add a reporting plan. meeting Communication
Mikel 2020-01-30 to draft proposed changes to board rules of order and go back to the board. meeting Rules of order
Mikel/Paul 2018-03-15 to look at the ten most active mailing lists and see if people listed as admins are active in the moderator role, what is in place, and how they manage the lists.
# 2018-05-24 Mikel drafted email and both agreed on some modifications.
meeting Communication
Mikel/Joost 2019-05-18 to document working group practices, draft WG “rules of order". F2F 2019 WGs
Paul 2019-06-19 to switch limesurvey plan to annual & expert, transfer (limesurvey) ownership to OWG, billing to OSMF and give access to Mikel, Joost and Dorothea.
# The plan won't be changed for the time being.
meeting Surveys
Paul 2018-05 to take feedback from the pre-F2F 2019 survey to developers that is about software.
# Might have been completed.
F2F 2019 Survey
Paul 2018-04-19 to document the evaluation process of software and services used by the OSMF. meeting FOSS policy
Paul 2016-10-28 to create a page on the wiki, listing software products which are used by OSMF and are closed-source and/or are externally hosted.
# Was Peter's
meeting FOSS policy

Action items updates

Restricting new memberships to people with significant investment to OSM

The board has instructed the Membership Working Group (MWG) to forward to the board anyone who (applies for OSMF membership and) doesn't have 30 mapping days in the last year.

Related board discussions:

Guillaume

Treasurer's report

Czechia Local Chapter application

OpenStreetMap Česká republika has applied to become the OSMF Local Chapter for Czechia. All necessary documents and translations have been received. The local and membership consultation period has ended.
Lead: Joost

Voting

Voting for the LC application.

MWG proposal for the new fee waiver scheme

Joining the OpenStreetMap Foundation used to always require a membership fee (£15 per year). This fee can be waived.'

Current fee waiver program
The Membership fee waiver program is based on the board resolution and the subsequent vote at the 2014 Annual General Meeting. The plan was for people to be able to apply through the fee waiver program for an associate membership, if paying the fee constitutes an unreasonable burden to the member because of 1) lack of a suitable money transfer facility or 2) due to financial hardship.

New fee waiver program
At the 13th Annual General Meeting of the OSM Foundation the membership approved the proposal of opening up this fee waiver to anyone making substantial contributions to OSM as a mapper or in other ways. The new scheme is being developed by volunteers of the Membership Working Group.

Related board discussions:

  • 2019: Aug (Articles of Association changes for the 2019 Annual General Meeting).

Related osmf-talk discussions:

Working Groups Survey & "rules of order": next steps?

The relation of the Working Groups and the board has been a subject of discussion during the 2019 board face-to-face meeting, which prompted a survey to be sent to the Working Groups. Feedback was received from representatives of the Data, Membership and the State of the Map Working Groups.

Related board discussions:

Lead: Joost

Microgrants call for members & next steps

The call for the Microgrants committee is open until the 8th of March 2020.
Lead: Joost

Face-to-face board meeting planning

The board will have a face-to-face meeting in London, UK on 21st & 22nd of March, 2020. The meeting will be facilitated by Allen Gunn and the board will also meet members of the Operations Working Group.

Related board discussion:

Lead: Joost

OSMUS local chapter application status, addendum, SotM US Quick Licence

Initial interest has been expressed before 2017 in a Local Chapter application from the US, as OpenStreetMap US has been operating for nearly 10 years and would like to see the organisation become an official Local Chapter. Communications restarted after the new OSM US was elected in 2019. The OSMF board discussed during the 2019 F2F meeting the questions received and there were in-person meetings of members of both boards during the State of the Map 2019 conference (Sep).

One of the ways forward that was suggested during SotM was to have the LC agreement and an addendum drafted by OSM US. The received proposed draft addendum is here.

Lead: Joost

Advisory Board - monthly update

The Advisory Board members are separate from the OSMF board of directors - individuals are either nominated by Corporate Members of the OSMF or invited directly by the OSMF board of directors. The OSMF Board of Directors will publicly minute, in the board meeting minutes, any communication sent to, or received from, the AB members. This monthly section is reserved for this purpose. Overview.

AB related updates and board discussions:
2020 Jan
2019 Jan, Mar, Jun, Jul, Aug, Oct

2018 Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Dec
2017 Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May (F2F), Oct

Joost

Any other business

Guest comments or questions

Next meeting

Board meetings take place online once a month.
New recurring date and time: On the 3rd or 4th Thursday of the month, at 17:00 UTC.

Acronyms