Difference between revisions of "Board/Minutes/2020-06"

From OpenStreetMap Foundation
Line 1: Line 1:
 
<div style="margin:2px 0;border:1px solid #9B9;background:#EFE;color:#000;padding:2px .5em;text-align:center">
 
<div style="margin:2px 0;border:1px solid #9B9;background:#EFE;color:#000;padding:2px .5em;text-align:center">
   
<font color="blue">Draft page.</font>
+
<font color="blue">Draft agenda.</font>
   
 
Date and time: [https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=OSMF+board+meeting+-++Thursday%2C+25+June+2020&iso=20200625T17&p1=136&ah=1 Thursday, 25th of June 2020 at 17:00 London time] - [https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?p0=136&iso=20200625T17&msg=OSMF%20board%20meeting%20-%20%20Thursday,%2025%20June%202020 Countdown]
 
Date and time: [https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=OSMF+board+meeting+-++Thursday%2C+25+June+2020&iso=20200625T17&p1=136&ah=1 Thursday, 25th of June 2020 at 17:00 London time] - [https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?p0=136&iso=20200625T17&msg=OSMF%20board%20meeting%20-%20%20Thursday,%2025%20June%202020 Countdown]
Line 121: Line 121:
   
 
== Action items updates ==
 
== Action items updates ==
  +
  +
== Treasurer's report ==
   
 
== Publication of pseudonymous membership lists ==
 
== Publication of pseudonymous membership lists ==
Line 132: Line 134:
 
| ''Tobias''
 
| ''Tobias''
 
|}
 
|}
  +
  +
== Microgrants selection ==
  +
{| class="wikitable"
  +
|-
  +
| ''The call for microgrant applications has closed, and the [https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Microgrants/Microgrants_2020#Proposals 48 proposals are on the OSM wiki].''
  +
  +
* ''[[Microgrants| Microgrants page]]''
  +
* ''[[Microgrants/Timeline| Timeline]]''
  +
  +
''Background:''<br>
  +
'' Providing microgrants was a topic discussed extensively during the [https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2018/05/29/f2f-board_meeting-2018/ 2018 Face-to-Face board meeting], where a plan was developed. You might know similar programs from e.g. OSM-US, HOT or FOSSGIS. As a start and as a first trial we want to make a time-bound program where you can apply for microgrants until a specific date. A [[Microgrants_Consultation_document|consultation document]] was shared in 2018 with the [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2018-September/005296.html membership] and the Advisory Board members, which contained an outline and top questions. There were also two microgrant-related sessions at the [https://2018.stateofthemap.org State of the Map 2018] conference ([[Board/Minutes/2018-08-16#Microgrants_update|read some discussion points and questions]]).'' <br>
  +
  +
''Work on Microgrants was paused in 2018 and restarted after the [[Board/Minutes/2019-05_F2F| 2019 F2F]] meeting. ''
  +
  +
''Related board discussions/decisions:
  +
* ''2020 [[Board/Minutes/2020-04#2020.2FRes16_Start_the_Microgrants_Committee| Mar - Res16 Start the Microgrants Committee]]'', [[Board/Minutes/2020-04#Microgrants_update| Apr]]''
  +
* ''2019 [[Board/Minutes/2019-08#Microgrants_update| Sep]], [[Bard/Minutes/2019-10-16#Microgrants_update| Oct]]''
  +
* ''2018 [https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2018/05/29/f2f-board_meeting-2018/ Apr], [[Board/Minutes/2018-06-21#Microgrants_update| Jun]], [[Board/Minutes/2018-07-19#Microgrants_update |Jul]], [[Board/Minutes/2018-08-16#Microgrants_update| Aug]], [[Board/Minutes/2018-09-20#Microgrants_update| Sep]]''
  +
* ''2017 [https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2017/06/27/summary-of-boards-face-to-face-meeting/ May], [[Board/Minutes/2017-07-18#Microgrant_Fundraising| Jul]], [[Board/Minutes/2017-08-24#Question_about_any_decision_on_microgrants| Aug]]''<br>
  +
''Related osmf-talk discussions:
  +
* ''2019 [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2019-August/006148.html Aug], Oct [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2019-October/006258.html community asking about consultation], [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2019-October/006292.html board asking for feedback]''
  +
* ''2018 [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2018-October/005334.html Oct] (asking for input)'' <br>
  +
''Related board working sessions: 2019 Aug & Oct, 2018 Jul & Sep.''<br>
  +
''Related SotM 2018 session: there was a lightning talk, for community feedback''<br>
  +
|-
  +
| ''Joost''
  +
|}
  +
  +
== Recent corporate member application ==
  +
  +
== Local Chapter agreement update and update on local chapter applications ==
  +
{| class="wikitable"
  +
|-
  +
| ''The board is in the process of updating the [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/w/index.php?title=Local_Chapters/Template_agreement&oldid=4861 Local Chapters agreement].
  +
  +
* '' [[Local_Chapters/Applications#Open_applications| Open LC applications]].
  +
|-
  +
| ''Joost''
  +
|}
  +
  +
== Responses to RFC on iD governance ==
  +
{| class="wikitable"
  +
|-
  +
| ''The board is looking for comments on the post "[https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2020/06/08/toward-resolution-of-controversies-related-to-id/ Toward resolution of controversies related to iD]".''
  +
|-
  +
| ''Allan''
  +
|}
  +
  +
== Proposal for hiring paid sysadmins to assist Tom and Grant ==
  +
{| class="wikitable"
  +
|-
  +
|
  +
''Recent board discussions and communications related to hiring:''<br>
  +
  +
''2020 May ''
  +
* ''[[Board/Minutes/2020-05-06#Hiring_policy_.5BTobias.5D| Hiring policy discussion during mid-month chat]]''
  +
* ''Board's email to membership: [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2020-May/006816.html "Framework for the foundation's hiring practices"]''
  +
* ''Board's email to Advisory Board: "Framework for the foundation's hiring practices"''
  +
* ''[[Advisory_Board/Minutes/2020-05-25| Minutes of meeting with Corporate Members of the Advisory Board. Topic: Framework for the foundation's hiring practices]]''<br>
  +
''2020 Mar''
  +
* ''[[Board/Minutes/2020-03-F2F#Hiring_.28Joost.2C_Paul.2C_Rory.2C_Tobias.29| Hiring session during board's 2020 screen-to-screen meeting]]''
  +
* ''[[Board/Minutes/2020-03-F2F/Dialogue_with_OSM_System_Administrators| Dialogue with OSM System Administrators during board's screen-to-screen meeting]]''
  +
|-
  +
| ''Allan''
  +
|}
  +
  +
== Status of attribution guideline ==
  +
{| class="wikitable"
  +
|-
  +
|
  +
''The board had received [https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Draft_Attribution_Guideline a draft attribution guideline] by the [[Licensing_Working_Group| Licensing Working Group]] (LWG) and is working on its text.''
  +
  +
''Attribution related board minutes:''
  +
* ''2020: Jan [[Board/Minutes/2020-01#Attribution_and_lack_thereof|Attribution and lack thereof]], Apr [[Board/Minutes/2020-04#Update_on_LWG.27s_rewrite_of_attribution_policy|Update on LWG's rewrite of attribution policy]], May [[Board/Minutes/2020-05-06#Status_of_Attribution_policy_.5BGuillaume.5D.5Brequested_by_Allan.5D| Status of Attribution policy]], [[Board/Minutes/2020-05-06#Status_of_Facebook_attribution_issue_on_mobile_.5BMikel.5D_.5Brequested_by_Tobias.5D|Status of Facebook attribution issue on mobile]]
  +
* ''2019 Oct [[Board/Minutes/2019-10-16#Attribution_by_Facebook| Attribution by Facebook]] ''
  +
  +
''Attribution guidance related LWG minutes:''
  +
* ''2020: [[Licensing_Working_Group/Minutes/2020-01-09#.E2.80.9CTwitter_attribution_thread.E2.80.9D| Jan]] (“Twitter attribution thread”), [[Licensing_Working_Group/Minutes/2020-02-13#Attribution_guideline| Feb]], [[Licensing_Working_Group/Minutes/2020-03-12#Attribution_guideline| Mar]], [[Licensing_Working_Group/Minutes/2020-04-09#Attribution| Apr]]''
  +
* ''2019: [[Licensing_Working_Group/Minutes/2019-01-10#Update_attribution_guidance| Jan]], [[Licensing_Working_Group/Minutes/2019-04-11#Attribution_Guidance| Apr]], [[Licensing_Working_Group/Minutes/2019-05-09#Attribution_Guidance| May]], [[Licensing_Working_Group/Minutes/2019-06-13#Attribution_Guidance| Jun]], [[Licensing_Working_Group/Minutes/2019-07-11#Attribution_Guidance| Jul]], [[Licensing_Working_Group/Minutes/2019-08-08#Attribution_Guidance| Aug]], [[Licensing_Working_Group/Minutes/2019-09-12#Attribution_Guidance| Sep]], [[Licensing_Working_Group/Minutes/2019-10-10#Attribution_Guidance| Oct]], [[Licensing_Working_Group/Minutes/2019-11-14#Attribution_Guidance| Nov]], [[Licensing_Working_Group/Minutes/2019-12-12#Attribution_Guidance| Dec]]''
  +
* ''2018: [[Licensing_Working_Group/Minutes/2018-12-13#Update_attribution_guidance| Dec]]''
  +
  +
''[https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/osmf-talk OSMF members] related discussions:''
  +
* ''Attribution guideline status update: 2019 [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2019-August/006161.html Aug], [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2019-September/006197.html Sep], [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2019-October/006295.html Oct], [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2019-November/006328.html Nov], [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2019-December/006521.html Dec]''
  +
* ''Attribution: board letter to Facebook: 2019 [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2019-October/006243.html Oct], [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2019-November/006355.html Nov]''
  +
|-
  +
| ''Paul and Guillaume''
  +
|}
  +
  +
== Need to update https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Membership to reflect 2020/Res26 Accept the Active Contributor Program as outlined by MWG (?) ==
   
 
== Advisory Board - monthly update ==
 
== Advisory Board - monthly update ==

Revision as of 20:24, 18 June 2020

Participants

Board members

Biographies.

Guests

Open to all OSMF members.

Guests are welcome to speak at the end of the meeting on the topics that have been discussed.

Not Present

Administrative

Previous minutes

Circular Resolutions

Board_Rules_of_Order#7._Circular_Resolutions

2020/Res25 Approve financial hardship fee waiver 2020051310000099

The Board currently decides on membership applications for a fee waiver due to financial need on a case-by-case basis.

Unanimously accepted on 2020-05-26 with 7 votes in favour: Tobias Knerr, Paul Norman, Rory McCann, Guillaume Rischard, Joost Schouppe, Allan Mustard (I can see a student in [reducted country] as having financial need, and they are an active mapper #comment modified as it contained identifiable information), Mikel Maron.

2020/Res26 Accept the Active Contributor Program as outlined by MWG

The MWG has been working on the framework for implementing the Active Conttributor membership program. This is made possible by a vote during the 2019 AGM. The working group has consulted the community and written down the details of the implementation here. The Board agrees with the MWG further implementing the program as outlined there.

Unanimously accepted on 2020-06-01 with 7 votes in favour: Joost Schouppe, Allan Mustard ("When we recieve an application..." should be spelled "receive"), Paul Norman, Tobias Knerr, Mikel Maron (Would like to see how the 42 mapping days cut off plays out. It seems a bit high to me, but fair enough to give it a try and adjust later if needed), Rory McCann, Guillaume Rischard.

2020/Res27 Adopt LWG recommendation for standard style tile license

Following the recommendation of the LWG, the board decides that map tiles in the "standard" style produced on and provided from OSMF infrastructure are licensed as a ODbL 1.0 Produced Work with no additional terms effective July 1st 2020.

Accepted on 2020-06-02 with 6 votes in favour: Paul Norman, Joost Schouppe, Allan Mustard, Rory McCann, Mikel Maron, Tobias Knerr.
1 not voted: Guillaume Rischard.

2020/Res28 Select Microgrant observers

We received four applications to monitor the Microgrants team. We select Mike Collinson and Craig Allan for the job. They will receive meeting invites by the chair of the Microgrants team and have access to all the docs.

Unanimously accepted on 2020-06-05 with 7 votes in favour: Joost Schouppe, Guillaume Rischard, Mikel Maron, Allan Mustard, Tobias Knerr, Rory McCann, Paul Norman.

2020/Res29 Grant Cesium permission to use our trademark in their product “Cesium OSM Buildings“

Accepted on 2020-06-05 with 4 votes in favour: Guillaume Rischard, Joost Schouppe, Allan Mustard, Rory McCann (I interpret this question as granting them conditional permission to use the “OSM” trademark while the dateset is nearly entirely based on OSM data, they remain a good player in the OSM space, and that the OSMF reserves the right to withdraw this if things change, or with an appropriate notice, and hence vote yes).
1 disagreed: Paul Norman (We should have conditions that their product must remain based on OSM data without adding in other data sources and that we can revoke permission after giving notice).
2 abstained: Tobias Knerr (self-declared conflict of interest), Mikel Maron (self-declared conflict of interest).

2020/Res30 Approve official accounts for 2019

Report of the Directors and unaudited financial statements for the year ended 31 December 2019 for OpenStreetMap Foundation (10 pages, file type: .pdf, file size: 21 KB)

The accounts reflect Michelle's* figures which you all have access to in Xero, without the need for any adjustments, other than moving the corporation tax refund to debtors.

The corporation tax charge for the year of £6,963 is based on the net conference income less scholarship costs. The Profit and Loss account figure of £2,710 includes the adjustment of £4,253 on the previous year’s provision.

The changes in directors have been included, and I guess whichever of us has access to a printer can sign them.

Unanimously accepted on 2020-06-06 with 7 votes in favour: Allan Mustard, Guillaume Rischard, Paul Norman, Joost Schouppe, Rory McCann, Tobias Knerr, Mikel Maron.

* Michelle Heydon (accountant)

2020/Res31 Approve the microgrant finalists proposed by the microgrants committee on June 5, 2020

Proposal attached [1]. This increases the number of projects beyond limit we previously set to 13 [2].

Voting closes on 2020-06-17. Voting was cancelled.

[1] Will be linked after voting has closed or finalists have been notified.
[2] Total of the 13 projects: €47,358

2020/Res32 Approve financial hardship fee waiver 2020061010000048

The Board currently decides on membership applications for a fee waiver due to financial need on a case-by-case basis.

Accepted on 2020-06-17 with 6 votes in favour: Guillaume Rischard, Rory McCann, Joost Schouppe, Tobias Knerr, Mikel Maron, Paul Norman.
1 not voted: Allan Mustard.

Previous action items

See Board/Action_Items.

Action items updates

Treasurer's report

Publication of pseudonymous membership lists

Suggestion of publishing list of usernames of OSMF members as an additional protection against takeover concerns and to improve transparency in general. Opt-in basis to alleviate privacy concerns.

Related board discussion:

Tobias

Microgrants selection

The call for microgrant applications has closed, and the 48 proposals are on the OSM wiki.

Background:
Providing microgrants was a topic discussed extensively during the 2018 Face-to-Face board meeting, where a plan was developed. You might know similar programs from e.g. OSM-US, HOT or FOSSGIS. As a start and as a first trial we want to make a time-bound program where you can apply for microgrants until a specific date. A consultation document was shared in 2018 with the membership and the Advisory Board members, which contained an outline and top questions. There were also two microgrant-related sessions at the State of the Map 2018 conference (read some discussion points and questions).

Work on Microgrants was paused in 2018 and restarted after the 2019 F2F meeting.

Related board discussions/decisions:

Related osmf-talk discussions:

Related board working sessions: 2019 Aug & Oct, 2018 Jul & Sep.
Related SotM 2018 session: there was a lightning talk, for community feedback

Joost

Recent corporate member application

Local Chapter agreement update and update on local chapter applications

The board is in the process of updating the Local Chapters agreement.
Joost

Responses to RFC on iD governance

The board is looking for comments on the post "Toward resolution of controversies related to iD".
Allan

Proposal for hiring paid sysadmins to assist Tom and Grant

Recent board discussions and communications related to hiring:

2020 May

2020 Mar

Allan

Status of attribution guideline

The board had received a draft attribution guideline by the Licensing Working Group (LWG) and is working on its text.

Attribution related board minutes:

Attribution guidance related LWG minutes:

OSMF members related discussions:

  • Attribution guideline status update: 2019 Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
  • Attribution: board letter to Facebook: 2019 Oct, Nov
Paul and Guillaume

Need to update https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Membership to reflect 2020/Res26 Accept the Active Contributor Program as outlined by MWG (?)

Advisory Board - monthly update

The Advisory Board members are separate from the OSMF board of directors - individuals are either nominated by Corporate Members of the OSMF or invited directly by the OSMF board of directors. The OSMF Board of Directors will publicly minute, in the board meeting minutes, any communication sent to, or received from, the AB members. This monthly section is reserved for this purpose. Overview.

AB related updates and board discussions:
2020 Jan, Feb, May
2019 Jan, Mar, Jun, Jul, Aug, Oct

2018 Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Dec
2017 Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May (F2F), Oct

Joost

Monthly Local Chapter presentation

About this section: New idea: Invite a LC to speak at each OSMF Board meeting.

Rory

Any other business

Guest comments or questions

Next meeting

Board meetings take place online once a month.
New recurring date and time: On the 3rd or 4th Thursday of the month, at 17:00 UTC.

Acronyms