Difference between revisions of "Board/Minutes/2020-07"

From OpenStreetMap Foundation
< Board‎ | Minutes
Jump to navigation Jump to search
(+ (draft notes on the funding core infrastructure topic, board members' presence, number of guests and note on LC presentation))
Line 1: Line 1:
 
<div style="margin:2px 0;border:1px solid #9B9;background:#EFE;color:#000;padding:2px .5em;text-align:center">
 
<div style="margin:2px 0;border:1px solid #9B9;background:#EFE;color:#000;padding:2px .5em;text-align:center">
   
<font color="blue"> Agenda </font>
+
<font color="blue"> Minutes to be added </font>
   
 
Date and time: [https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=OSMF+board+meeting+-++Thursday%2C+30+July+2020&iso=20200730T17&p1=136&ah=1 Thursday, 30th of July 2020 at 17:00 London time] - [https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?p0=136&iso=20200730T17&msg=OSMF%20board%20meeting%20-%20%20Thursday,%2030%20July%202020 Countdown]
 
Date and time: [https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=OSMF+board+meeting+-++Thursday%2C+30+July+2020&iso=20200730T17&p1=136&ah=1 Thursday, 30th of July 2020 at 17:00 London time] - [https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?p0=136&iso=20200730T17&msg=OSMF%20board%20meeting%20-%20%20Thursday,%2030%20July%202020 Countdown]
Line 13: Line 13:
   
 
=== Board members ===
 
=== Board members ===
  +
* [https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Apm-wa Allan Mustard] ''(chairing)''
  +
* [https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Rorym Rory McCann]
  +
* [https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Stereo Guillaume Rischard]
  +
* [https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Joost_schouppe Joost Schouppe]
  +
* [https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Tordanik Tobias Knerr]
  +
* [https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Mikel Mikel Maron]
   
 
[https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/w/index.php?title=Board_Member_Bios&oldid=6864 Biographies].
 
[https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/w/index.php?title=Board_Member_Bios&oldid=6864 Biographies].
Line 18: Line 24:
 
=== Guests ===
 
=== Guests ===
   
  +
* 10 guests ''(including Sarah Hoffmann, Richard Fairhurst and Jochen Topf, see [[Board/Minutes/2020-07#Funding_of_projects_used_in_core_infrastructure_.28Nominatim.2C_osm2pgsql.2C_Potlatch.2C_iD.29| core infrastructure funding topic]])''
Open to all OSMF members.
 
   
 
Open to all OSMF members.<br>
 
''Guests are welcome to speak at the end of the meeting on the topics that have been discussed.''
 
''Guests are welcome to speak at the end of the meeting on the topics that have been discussed.''
 
 
 
=== Not Present ===
 
=== Not Present ===
  +
* [https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Pnorman Paul Norman]
   
 
== Administrative ==
 
== Administrative ==
   
 
===Previous minutes===
 
===Previous minutes===
* [[Board/Minutes/2020-06]]
+
* [[Board/Minutes/2020-06]] Accepted ''(the voting of the closed session to be added)''
   
 
=== Circular Resolutions ===
 
=== Circular Resolutions ===
Line 111: Line 119:
 
|}
 
|}
   
''Carried over from the June public board meeting.''
+
''Topic carried over from the June public board meeting but the presentation did not take place, as the OpenStreetMap France representative was unavailable.''
   
 
== Adopting the hiring framework ==
 
== Adopting the hiring framework ==
Line 122: Line 130:
 
| ''Suggested by Tobias.''
 
| ''Suggested by Tobias.''
 
|}
 
|}
  +
  +
<font color="blue"> Minutes to be added. </font>
   
 
== Proposal to hire a senior site reliability engineer ==
 
== Proposal to hire a senior site reliability engineer ==
Line 132: Line 142:
 
| ''Suggested by Guillaume.''
 
| ''Suggested by Guillaume.''
 
|}
 
|}
  +
  +
<font color="blue"> Minutes to be added. </font>
   
 
== Funding of projects used in core infrastructure (Nominatim, osm2pgsql, Potlatch, iD) ==
 
== Funding of projects used in core infrastructure (Nominatim, osm2pgsql, Potlatch, iD) ==
  +
<font color="blue"> Draft notes. </font>
  +
 
{| class="wikitable"
 
{| class="wikitable"
 
|-
 
|-
Line 144: Line 158:
 
| ''Suggested by Guillaume.''
 
| ''Suggested by Guillaume.''
 
|}
 
|}
  +
  +
''Sarah Hoffman (Nominatim), Richard Fairhurst (Potlatch) and Jochen Topf (osm2pgsql) were present at the meeting.''
  +
  +
=== Nominatim, osm2pgsql, Potlatch ===
  +
The proposals for [https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osm2pgsql osm2pgsql] and [https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Potlatch_2 Potlatch] were originally submitted as [https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Microgrants Microgrant] 2020 proposals ''([https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Microgrants/Microgrants_2020/Proposal/Potlatch_2_for_desktop Potlatch 2 proposal], [https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Microgrants/Microgrants_2020/Proposal/Osm2pgsql_development osm2pgsql proposal])'' but were not selected. Suggestion to fund these projects directly, together with [https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Nominatim Nominatim] and [https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/ID iD].
  +
  +
'''Potlatch 2 - [https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Microgrants/Microgrants_2020/Proposal/Potlatch_2_for_desktop Proposal]'''
  +
* Still used by significant number of users: ~ 1.4% of users (and 1.2% of all edits).
  +
* Flash will be disabled in browsers in December.
  +
* Suggestion to port to desktop.
  +
  +
'''osm2pgsql - [[Osm2pgsql project 2020-07 | Proposal to board]]'''
  +
* Used to run OSM website and used in other places.
  +
* Old piece of software - suggestion for core improvements to make it ready for next 10 years.
  +
* The requested amount is bigger than the Microgrants proposal, as Microgrants were limited to EUR 5000 and Jochen wants to work more on it.
  +
  +
'''Nominatim - [[Nominatim project 2020-07 | Proposal to board]]'''
  +
* Geocoder used in osm.org and other places.
  +
* Proposal to make it more user friendly to install and run.
  +
  +
''Proposal to vote on funding. Follow-up discussion:''
  +
* We have not done a community consultation.
  +
* December deadline for Potlatch.
  +
* Community consultation for Microgrants was positive for Potlatch ([https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Microgrants/Microgrants_2020/Proposal/Potlatch_2_for_desktop#Endorsements endorsements]) and osm2pgsql ([https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Microgrants/Microgrants_2020/Proposal/Osm2pgsql_development#Endorsements endorsements]) - we could do a community consultation for Nominatim.
  +
  +
''Question to Richard Fairhurst about how we are on time regarding Potlatch.''<br>
  +
''> As long we are before December, it is fine.''
  +
  +
{| class="wikitable"
  +
|-
  +
|
  +
Motion to move the proposals for Nominatim, osm2pgsql and Potlatch to community consultation.
  +
|-
  +
| ''Accepted, no objections.''
  +
|}
  +
  +
'''Action item:''' Guillaume and Joost to draft the email for community consultation and then the board to decide via a [[Board_Rules_of_Order#7._Circular_Resolutions| circular]].
  +
  +
''Post meeting addition: [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2020-August/006987.html Consultation on the OSMF-members mailing list] (If you are an OSMF member [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/osmf-talk register here]. [http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/ Archive accessible to all]).''
  +
  +
=== iD ===
  +
  +
* Similarly, we want to do a community consultation first.
  +
* Deferred to August board meeting.
   
 
== Mostly inactive state of CWG ==
 
== Mostly inactive state of CWG ==
 
''Carried over from the July mid-month meeting. Suggested by Paul.''
 
''Carried over from the July mid-month meeting. Suggested by Paul.''
  +
  +
<font color="blue"> Minutes to be added </font>
   
 
== Advisory Board split ==
 
== Advisory Board split ==
Line 157: Line 217:
 
| ''Suggested by Mikel.''
 
| ''Suggested by Mikel.''
 
|}
 
|}
  +
  +
<font color="blue"> Minutes to be added </font>
   
 
== Trademark subcommittee ==
 
== Trademark subcommittee ==
Line 171: Line 233:
 
| ''Suggested by Paul.''
 
| ''Suggested by Paul.''
 
|}
 
|}
  +
  +
<font color="blue"> Minutes to be added </font>
   
 
== Community survey before the end of the year ==
 
== Community survey before the end of the year ==
Line 181: Line 245:
 
| ''Suggested by Joost.''
 
| ''Suggested by Joost.''
 
|}
 
|}
  +
  +
<font color="blue"> Minutes to be added </font>
   
 
== Argentina feedback discussion ==
 
== Argentina feedback discussion ==
Line 193: Line 259:
 
| ''Suggested by Joost.''
 
| ''Suggested by Joost.''
 
|}
 
|}
  +
  +
<font color="blue"> Minutes to be added </font>
   
 
== Advisory Board - monthly update ==
 
== Advisory Board - monthly update ==
Line 207: Line 275:
 
| ''Joost''
 
| ''Joost''
 
|}
 
|}
  +
  +
<font color="blue"> Minutes to be added </font>
   
 
== Any other business ==
 
== Any other business ==
  +
<font color="blue"> Minutes to be added </font>
   
 
== Guest comments or questions ==
 
== Guest comments or questions ==
  +
<font color="blue"> Minutes to be added </font>
   
 
== Next meeting ==
 
== Next meeting ==

Revision as of 17:11, 16 August 2020

Minutes to be added

Date and time: Thursday, 30th of July 2020 at 17:00 London time - Countdown

Location: Video room https://osmvideo.cloud68.co/user/ror-nt7-6tu
using BigBlueButton.

Acronyms

Participants

Board members

Biographies.

Guests

Open to all OSMF members.
Guests are welcome to speak at the end of the meeting on the topics that have been discussed.

Not Present

Administrative

Previous minutes

Circular Resolutions

Board_Rules_of_Order#7._Circular_Resolutions

2020/Res33 Adopt update to Board Rules of Order to cover working groups and special committees

The proposed changes are in version "Version for circular vote" of https://hackmd.io/4GF96W4uSFeG1beH9iMoVQ. Also attached*.

If and when agreed, will follow up with public note inviting feedback and openness to updates, and open up further discussion about additional needs.

Accepted on 2020-07-11 with 6 votes in favour: Paul Norman, Guillaume Rischard, Allan Mustard, Joost Schouppe, Tobias Knerr, Mikel Maron.
1 did not vote: Rory McCann.

* (file type .odt, file size: 21 KB)

2020/Res34 Approve financial hardship fee waiver 2020070410000111

The Board currently decides on membership applications for a fee waiver due to financial need on a case-by-case basis.

Did not pass on 2020-07-13 with 3 votes in favour: Tobias Knerr, Joost Schouppe, Allan Mustard (they have mapped 62 days this year, 1,627 changesets as of today).
4 did not vote: Paul Norman, Mikel Maron, Rory McCann, Guillaume Rischard.

Please note that there will be a second voting on this application, to try and reach the participation quota.

2020/Res35 Make progress towards a hiring framework

Tobias will send out the latest draft of the hiring framework for community consultation. The consultation will be open until the July board meeting. The board will use this document as a preliminary framework for any hiring-related steps until then.

Link to document.

Accepted on 2020-07-17 with 6 votes in favour: Paul Norman, Joost Schouppe, Mikel Maron, Rory McCann, Allan Mustard, Tobias Knerr.
1 abstained: Guillaume Rischard.

2020/Res36 Accept the new Local Chapters Agreement template for future applications

Link to document*.

Accepted on 2020-07-26 with 6 votes in favour: Joost Schouppe, Mikel Maron, Tobias Knerr, Guillaume Rischard, Allan Mustard, Rory McCann.
1 did not vote: Paul Norman

* Please note that any OSM US specific parts will be substituted.
This will replace the current Local Chapter agreement.

2020/Res37 Approve financial hardship fee waiver 2020070410000111

The Board currently decides on membership applications for a fee waiver due to financial need on a case-by-case basis.

Accepted on 2020-07-28 with 6 votes in favour: Tobias Knerr, Joost Schouppe, Mikel Maron, Guillaume Rischard, Allan Mustard, Rory McCann.
1 did not vote: Paul Norman

Second voting on this application, as the first one did not reach the participation quota.

Previous action items

See Board/Action_Items.

Action items updates

Monthly Local Chapter presentation - OpenStreetMap France

OpenStreetMap France is an OSMF Local Chapter since 2017.

About this section: New idea: Invite a LC to speak at each OSMF Board meeting.

Rory

Topic carried over from the June public board meeting but the presentation did not take place, as the OpenStreetMap France representative was unavailable.

Adopting the hiring framework

The board recently decided to send this hiring framework draft for community consultation (to be open till July 30th 2020) and use the document as a preliminary framework for any hiring-related steps until then.

Any updates to the hiring framework will first appear on this working document.

Suggested by Tobias.

Minutes to be added.

Proposal to hire a senior site reliability engineer

Proposal to hire a senior site reliability engineer to help the sysadmin team. Keeping core technical infrastructure which the OpenStreetMap project relies on running is one of the key responsibilities outlined in the Foundation’s mission statement.

Membership consultation (same link as above): 24 July to 30 July 17:00 London time.

Suggested by Guillaume.

Minutes to be added.

Funding of projects used in core infrastructure (Nominatim, osm2pgsql, Potlatch, iD)

Draft notes.

Suggestion to fund three core infrastructure projects:

Suggested by Guillaume.

Sarah Hoffman (Nominatim), Richard Fairhurst (Potlatch) and Jochen Topf (osm2pgsql) were present at the meeting.

Nominatim, osm2pgsql, Potlatch

The proposals for osm2pgsql and Potlatch were originally submitted as Microgrant 2020 proposals (Potlatch 2 proposal, osm2pgsql proposal) but were not selected. Suggestion to fund these projects directly, together with Nominatim and iD.

Potlatch 2 - Proposal

  • Still used by significant number of users: ~ 1.4% of users (and 1.2% of all edits).
  • Flash will be disabled in browsers in December.
  • Suggestion to port to desktop.

osm2pgsql - Proposal to board

  • Used to run OSM website and used in other places.
  • Old piece of software - suggestion for core improvements to make it ready for next 10 years.
  • The requested amount is bigger than the Microgrants proposal, as Microgrants were limited to EUR 5000 and Jochen wants to work more on it.

Nominatim - Proposal to board

  • Geocoder used in osm.org and other places.
  • Proposal to make it more user friendly to install and run.

Proposal to vote on funding. Follow-up discussion:

  • We have not done a community consultation.
  • December deadline for Potlatch.
  • Community consultation for Microgrants was positive for Potlatch (endorsements) and osm2pgsql (endorsements) - we could do a community consultation for Nominatim.

Question to Richard Fairhurst about how we are on time regarding Potlatch.
> As long we are before December, it is fine.

Motion to move the proposals for Nominatim, osm2pgsql and Potlatch to community consultation.

Accepted, no objections.

Action item: Guillaume and Joost to draft the email for community consultation and then the board to decide via a circular.

Post meeting addition: Consultation on the OSMF-members mailing list (If you are an OSMF member register here. Archive accessible to all).

iD

  • Similarly, we want to do a community consultation first.
  • Deferred to August board meeting.

Mostly inactive state of CWG

Carried over from the July mid-month meeting. Suggested by Paul.

Minutes to be added

Advisory Board split

The Advisory Board members are separate from the OSMF board of directors - individuals are either representatives of Gold/Platinum Corporate Members of the OSMF, Local Chapter representatives or invited directly by the OSMF board of directors.

Suggestion to split the Advisory Board in at least two separate bodies.

Suggested by Mikel.

Minutes to be added

Trademark subcommittee

The Trademark licence subcommittee has two members of the Licensing Working Group and one board member who decide on licence requests that are covered by the OSMF Trademark policy, with the understanding that
  • the subcommittee has the authority to grant licences in the "quick licence" (aka licence application for which we have a form template) framework.
  • licence grants that are of a bespoke nature will be processed by the full LWG and potentially escalated to the OSMF board.
  • licence grant refusals can be appealed to the OSMF board.
  • licence grants will be publicly documented in an appropriate fashion.

Heather Leson was the previous board member on the subcommittee, but when her term finished the board did not replace her. A board member needs to volunteer. Paul would, but his term ends next election.

Suggested by Paul.

Minutes to be added

Community survey before the end of the year

The previous community survey by the board was on the global and local communities in OpenStreetMap (2019 Aug - blogpost).

A list of surveys by the board or Working Groups is at the OSM wiki.

Suggested by Joost.

Minutes to be added

Argentina feedback discussion

Asociación Civil Geolibres has applied to become the OSMF Local Chapter for Argentina.

Joost had calls with Geolibres.

Suggested by Joost.

Minutes to be added

Advisory Board - monthly update

The Advisory Board members are separate from the OSMF board of directors - individuals are either nominated by Corporate Members of the OSMF or invited directly by the OSMF board of directors. The OSMF Board of Directors will publicly minute, in the board meeting minutes, any communication sent to, or received from, the AB members. This monthly section is reserved for this purpose.

Overview of board communications with representatives on the Advisory Board.
(single page displaying all the monthly updates that are linked below)
2020 Jan, Feb, May, Jun
2019 Jan, Mar, Jun, Jul, Aug, Oct
2018 Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Dec
2017 Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May (F2F), Oct

Joost

Minutes to be added

Any other business

Minutes to be added

Guest comments or questions

Minutes to be added

Next meeting

Board meetings take place online once a month.
New recurring date and time: On the 3rd or 4th Thursday of the month, at 17:00 UTC.

See the Monthly Board meetings page to find out where board meetings are announced and for a subscription link to have future board meetings automatically added to your calendar.

Acronyms