Board/Minutes/2020-10-S2S/Make progress on attribution guidelines and enforcement

From OpenStreetMap Foundation
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The printable version is no longer supported and may have rendering errors. Please update your browser bookmarks and please use the default browser print function instead.

Notes by participants. Might be enriched.


Board members

  • Allan Mustard (Chairperson)
  • Guillaume Rischard (Treasurer)
  • Joost Schouppe (Secretary)
  • Mikel Maron
  • Paul Norman
  • Rory McCann
  • Tobias Knerr



  • Legal counsel from OSMF pro-bono lawyer.


Discussion on email from OSMF pro-bono lawyer on draft guidelines.

  • Email requested by LWG. Not shared yet, waiting for signed non-disclosure agreement (NDA) (signed so far by Simon and Kathleen, waiting for Michael, Jim).

On board and LWG versions

  • Collapse attribution issue is the key difference between the board and the LWG versions.
    • Changes: 1 attribution shown to people who see but don't interact, 2 consequential changes and 3 wording clean-up.


  • Facebook feeling that LWG has been overridden.
  • Board version took LWG by surprise.

Other points mentioned

  • LWG has requested a red-lined version of their draft. Diff provided by board.
  • Communication issues.
  • Simon Poole (LWG chair) is retiring.
  • Guillaume has asked Dermot McNally (past LWG member) whether he'd be interested to rejoin.


  • Board do a circular that the LWG version is not acceptable.
    • LWG is aware.
  • Meeting with LWG.
  • Perhaps contact other lawyers in the future.

On standard tile license

  • New LWG written tile license mentions copyright also to OSMF.
  • Attribution more complicated and contradicts image and what existing attributors are doing.
"If you are using these tiles please use the following attribution: “Base map and data from OpenStreetMap and OpenStreetMap Foundation”. "

[With the new phrasing] people who have attributed in past are not in compliance.

Suggestion: Email LWG.


  • Get back to LWG and ask for the remaining NDAs to share OSMF pro-bono lawyer's feedback.
  • Communicate to LWG that the board will not provide a red-lined version.

Action items

  • Allan to remind LWG about waiting for the signed NDAs to share OSMF pro-bono lawyer's feedback.
  • Paul to put explanation of the board attribution changes in writing and explain that the board won't provide a red-lined version.
  • Paul to collaborate with Tobias on emailing LWG regarding the tile license attribution and rewrite specific part of copyright statement.
  • Rory to email OSMF pro-bono lawyer.
  • Tobias to collaborate with Paul on emailing LWG regarding the tile licence attribution and rewrite specific part of copyright statement.
  • Dorothea to schedule video meeting with LWG during 2nd week of October.