Board/Minutes/2021-03

From OpenStreetMap Foundation
< Board‎ | Minutes
Revision as of 15:29, 7 April 2021 by Dorothea (talk | contribs) (→‎Next meetings: April board meeting: + links to time in other timezones & countdown)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Draft notes. Minutes to be added.

Date and time: Friday, 26 March 2021 14:00 UTC - Countdown

Location: Video room https://osmvideo.cloud68.co/user/ror-nt7-6tu
using BigBlueButton.

Acronyms

Participants

Board members

  • Allan Mustard (Chairing)
  • Eugene Alvin Villar
  • Guillaume Rischard
  • Mikel Maron
  • Tobias Knerr
  • Rory McCann

Officers and board
Biographies

Not Present

  • Jean-Marc Liotier

Guests

  • 22 guests

Open to all OSMF members.

You are welcome to ask questions or to comment (via voice or on the chat) at the end of the meeting.

  • Please mute your microphone when you join, and to preserve bandwidth, refrain from turning on your webcam.
  • If you are in a low-bandwidth environment, you may benefit from using BigBlueButton's low-bandwidth settings.

Administrative

Previous minutes

Circular Resolutions

2021/Res08 Geosm trademark license agreement

Please refer to the PDF circulated today to board@osmfoundation.org.

Accepted on 2021-03-05 with 4 votes in favour: Allan Mustard, Tobias Knerr, Guillaume Rischard (My concerns about attributions have been addressed, and I now agree with the proposal), Jean-Marc Liotier.
3 not voted: Mikel Maron, Eugene Alvin Villar, Rory McCann.

Circular by Jean-Marc Liotier.

Background:
In December 2020 the Licensing Working Group (LWG) received an inquiry regarding GeOsm and its trademark status. This was a topic of the January LWG meeting and Kathleen Lu (LWG) reached to Willy Franck Sob, the main operator of GeOsm. He explained that GeOsm is an expansion of GeoCameroun, and is now used by 21 African countries. It is a data portal to make open maps for the countries more easily accessible. His hope is that GeOsm will eventually be used by countries all over the world. The LWG suggested that OSMF should come with an agreement with GeOsm. An action item of the February mid-month] board meeting was for Jean-Marc (Board) to communicate with Kathleen Lu (LWG) on drafting something for the board to approve.

2021/Res09 Suspend user immediately and indefinitely

  • Suspend <user> * on all the channels that are under the control of the OSMF.
  • Email <user> * to make them aware of their suspension.

Unanimously accepted on 2021-03-15 with 7 votes in favour: Allan  Mustard, Tobias Knerr, Guillaume  Rischard , Jean-Marc  Liotier (Damage control first - we'll consider an appeal later), Mikel Maron, Eugene Alvin Villar, Rory McCann.

Circular by Guillaume Rischard

* OSM username redacted. Reason provided: user privacy.

2021/Res10 Nominatim integration in QGIS

The  OSMF board is supportive of the Operation Working Group's preliminary plans to serve QGIS traffic from OSMF infrastructure. We ask the OWG to work out the   details of the arrangement together with the QGIS and Nominatim teams.

Accepted on 2021-03-23 with 5 votes in favour: Jean-Marc Liotier, Allan Mustard, Guillaume Rischard, Tobias Knerr, Eugene Alvin Villar (I agree with the proviso that this arrangement does not provide any precedent for OSMF to provide more general or bespoke geo-services to third parties).
2 abstained: Rory McCann (My employer provides Nominatim services, so as an abundance of caution, I abstain from this vote), Mikel Maron (Abstain from vote due to conflict of interest, Mapbox provides search services).

Circular by Tobias Knerr.

Previous action items

See Board/Action_Items.

Treasurer's report

Vote on OSMF Japan Local Chapter application

一般社団法人オープンストリートマップ・ファウンデーション・ ジャパン (OpenStreetMap Foundation Japan) has applied to be the Local Chapter for Japan.

Local and membership consultations.

Suggested by Rory McCann.

Draft notes. Minutes to be added.

Voting

Accepted.

Vote on OSM Poland Local Chapter application

Stowarzyszenie OpenStreetMap Polska has applied to be the Local Chapter for Poland.

Local (talk-pl mailing list and forum) and membership consultations.

Suggested by Rory McCann.

Draft notes. Minutes to be added.

Voting

Accepted.

Decide on NextCloud

The FOSS Policy Special Committee, after a request by a working group and individual board members, had asked cloud68.co to set up a Nextcloud with OnlyOffice instance for OSMF until the third week of March for testing purposes. According to the committee, this tool might be useful to replace some services hosted outside of the control of the OSMF:

  • Google Calendar/Drive/Docs/Forms/Sheets
  • Etherpad/Ethercalc/HackMD
  • Nextclouds hosted elsewhere

The FOSS Policy Special Committee had reached out to the working groups, the OSMF membership and the board and invited them to test the Cloud68-hosted Nextcloud instance with OnlyOffice and provide feedback by March 20. The committee will compile the feedback and present it to the board so that they can take further action to proceed or not with the contracting of this instance.

For more background information and reasoning for using Nextcloud, please have a look at the recommendations in the report that the FOSS Policy Special Committee recently published.

Related past discussion:

Suggested by Mikel Maron.

Draft notes. Minutes to be added.<

FOSS Policy Special Committee: feedback on use of test Nextcloud instance with OnlyOffice

Overview provided by Felix Delattre.

Brief overview of the feedback the FOSS Policy Special Committee has received around the testing of the Open Source collaboration suite Nextcloud with OnlyOffice provided by cloud68.co as a tool.

Short summary: The FOSS Policy Special Committee received very little feedback, but this was generally positive. No oppositions have been raised anywhere. It is recommended to purchase [a Nextcloud subscription] to comply with the FOSS Policy and strength the organizational standpoint regarding user privacy.

The FOSS Policy Special Committee reached out to and with:

  • Two emails to all working groups, committees, the board and the board's assistant.
  • The osmf-talk mailing list (for OSMF members - become an OSMF member).

14 accounts have been created

The feedback received:

  • One Working Group Local Chapters and Communities Working Group voted in favor of adapting the software.
  • One individual from another working group expressed positive feedback.
  • The board assistant sees this as a useful tool.

Potential

  • Replace commercial tools: Google Drive/Docs/Sheet/Calendar/Forms
  • More privacy aware use for hackpads like freeware hackmd.io and etherpad.
  • Offer free and open alternatives according to the FOSS Policy.
  • Strengthen the organization's compliance with the European General Data Protection Regulation. Especially critical for activities around personal data, such as members.

Price

  • Small instance (seems to be enough for now): 22 Euros/month

Recommendation by the FOSS Policy Special Committee

The FOSS Policy Special Committee expressed the recommendation to contract two years of the tool and evaluate afterwards the adaption and use (total of 528 Euros). It was well received, and provides a fundamental pillar according to the FOSS Policy to offer Open Source alternatives for an inclusive community. It also fulfills the obligations of the OSMF to comply better with the European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).

Voting

Motion to budget for contract with Cloud68 for Nextcloud with OnlyOffice for 2 years.
Accepted.

Operations Working Group budget

The Operations Working Group proposed to the board a 2021 budget with low, medium, and high options. It starts at 2021Q2 and runs for one year. The OSMF Board has talked about this at the March mid-month chat, and is going to vote during this meeting.

Suggested by Tobias Knerr.

Draft notes. Minutes to be added.

Voting

Motion to approve high option of OWG budget.
Accepted.

Articles of Association: Count time as associate member for board candidacy requirements  

The board discovered an Articles of Association (AoA) oversight during the preparations for last year's elections: People who have been part of the OSMF for a long time, but spent much of that time as associate members, may be prevented from running for the board because they do not formally meet the requirement of having been a member for 180 days. This is because "associate members" are, counter-intuitively, not treated as a subset of "members" in the Articles of Association. The board is considering to propose to the membership a change to paragraph 79 of the Articles of Association.

Past discussion:

Suggested by Tobias Knerr.

Draft notes. Minutes to be added.
Action item: Tobias to send the proposed text to the membership and ask people how they want to clarify the wording regarding "members".

Advisory Board - monthly update

The Advisory Board members are separate from the OSMF board of directors - individuals are either nominated by Corporate Members of the OSMF or invited directly by the OSMF board of directors. The OSMF Board of Directors will publicly minute, in the board meeting minutes, any communication sent to, or received from, the AB members. This monthly section is reserved for this purpose.

Overview of board communications with representatives on the Advisory Board.
(single page displaying all the monthly updates that are linked below)
2020 Jan, Feb, May, Jun, Jul,  Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
2019 Jan, Mar, Jun, Jul, Aug, Oct
2018 Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct,   Dec
2017 Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May (F2F), Oct

Rory McCann

Draft notes. Minutes to be added.

  • Planning meeting in 2 months.

Presentation from Local Chapters and Communities Working Group moderation subcommittee

The Board has requested from the Local Chapters and Communities Working Group (LCCWG) subcommittee to complete community consultations in a timely manner and provide to the Board a draft implementation plan (i.e. steps that the subcommittee will take and time frames) for the subcommittee recommendations included in their January report to the board.

The board also

  • urged the LCCWG subcommittee to accelerate implementation of moderation of the talk (community) and osmf-talk (membership) mailing lists.
  • encouraged the LCCWG subcommittee to add members to fill any gaps that might prevent the subcommittee from being as representative of the OSM community as is practical.
  • encouraged the LCCWG subcommittee to consider some kind of approval mechanism that ensures selection of moderators who have the trust of the community subject to the moderation.

Background:
On 9th of December 2020 a group of community members sent to the osmf-talk* mailing list a statement Calling People to Take Action and Confront Systemic Offensive Behavior in the OSM Community (.pdf on the wiki, Gdoc here) asking amongst others:

  • people to support the statement, help co-write and translate it and
  • OSMF to implement the suggested changes.

The content of the statement was locked on December 16th and it includes the names of 310 community members and 47 organisations in support.

The board has asked the Local Chapters and Communities Working Group (LCCWG) to work with other parts of the community and come back in January with a suggested course of action. The LCCWG subcommittee which was formed for this task presented this report on the 29th of January.

The board discussed its response during the February screen-to-screen board meeting and asked the LCCWG to present an implementation plan (steps and time frames) at the March board meeting. The board also urged the LCCWG to accelerate implementation of moderation of the talk lists in less than six months and clarified that it does not expect a rewrite of the etiquette guidelines in that time frame.

Related discussions:

* osmf-talk is the mailing list for OSMF members (Join). All past messages are available here.

Suggested by Allan Mustard and Rory McCann.

Draft notes. Minutes to be added.

Action item: Secretary to add "Interim update from the LCCWG subcommittee to the public board meeting agenda every two months.

Any other business

Guest comments or questions

Next meetings

Open board meetings take place online once a month.
New recurring date and time: Last Friday of the month at 14:00 UTC.

See the Monthly Board meetings page to find out where board meetings are announced and for a subscription link to have future board meetings automatically added to your calendar.

Closed session

User suspension appeal

Related to the recently approved circular: 2021/Res09 "Suspend user immediately and indefinitely". (About circular resolutions)

Reason for session being closed: user privacy.

Acronyms