Difference between revisions of "Board/Minutes/2021-05-14"

From OpenStreetMap Foundation
< Board‎ | Minutes
Jump to navigation Jump to search
(Created page with "<div style="margin:2px 0;border:1px solid #9B9;background:#EFE;color:#000;padding:2px .5em;text-align:center"> <font color="blue">Draft agenda.</font> Location: Video room h...")
 
 
(4 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
<div style="margin:2px 0;border:1px solid #9B9;background:#EFE;color:#000;padding:2px .5em;text-align:center">
 
<div style="margin:2px 0;border:1px solid #9B9;background:#EFE;color:#000;padding:2px .5em;text-align:center">
<font color="blue">Draft agenda.</font>
+
<font color="blue">Draft minutes.</font>
   
 
Location: Video room https://osmvideo.cloud68.co/user/ror-nt7-6tu </big><br> using [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BigBlueButton BigBlueButton]. <br> <br><font color="blue">Please note that this video chat is not open to observers.</font><br>
 
Location: Video room https://osmvideo.cloud68.co/user/ror-nt7-6tu </big><br> using [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BigBlueButton BigBlueButton]. <br> <br><font color="blue">Please note that this video chat is not open to observers.</font><br>
Line 11: Line 11:
 
=== Board members ===
 
=== Board members ===
   
  +
* Allan Mustard ''(Chairing)''
==== Not Present ====
 
  +
* Tobias Knerr
  +
* Rory McCann
  +
* Mikel Maron
  +
* Eugene Alvin Villar
  +
* Jean-Marc Liotier
  +
* Guillaume Rischard ''(joined ~6' after start)''
   
 
[https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/w/index.php?title=Officers_%26_Board&action=history Officers and board]<br>
 
[https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/w/index.php?title=Officers_%26_Board&action=history Officers and board]<br>
 
[https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/w/index.php?title=Board_Member_Bios&oldid=7907 Biographies]
 
[https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/w/index.php?title=Board_Member_Bios&oldid=7907 Biographies]
  +
  +
''Minutes by [https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Dorothea Do<nowiki>rothea Kaza</nowiki>zi]''
  +
==== Not Present ====
   
 
=== Guests ===
 
=== Guests ===
 
''Not open to observers.''
 
''Not open to observers.''
  +
  +
''Some topics have been reordered during the meeting.''
  +
  +
== Licensing Working Group planning during Kathleen's leave ==
  +
  +
{| role="presentation" class="wikitable mw-collapsible mw-collapsed"
  +
! <b>Background</b>
  +
|-
  +
|
  +
|-
  +
| ''Suggested by Mikel Maron.''
  +
|}
  +
  +
Kathleen Lu ([[Licensing_Working_Group|Licensing Working Group]] - LWG) will be away from mid-June to November 2021. Her LWG work includes amongst others:
  +
* Reviewing trademark notices.
  +
* Enquiries related to academic papers.
  +
* Legal questions.
  +
* LWG agenda building.
  +
  +
Dorothea was asked to have a meeting with Kathleen and Mikel to see if she could help during the leave.
  +
  +
Dorothea will
  +
* LWG agenda - create it with topics suggested by LWG members.
  +
* Meetings - send reminders.
  +
* Trademark watch notices - make first screening and add any cases that might need follow-up to the next LWG agenda.
  +
  +
Dermot McNally (LWG) volunteered to chair the LWG meetings.
  +
  +
== Investigate moving OSMF out of the UK, and into the EU ==
  +
{| role="presentation" class="wikitable mw-collapsible mw-collapsed"
  +
! <b>Background</b>
  +
|-
  +
|''Even before Brexit was on the horizon, the OSMF occasionally thought about moving the organisation or creating a subsidiary elsewhere (most likely to another EU country). After the [[Board/Minutes/2021-04#Treasurer.27s_report|recent bank issues]], the board is looking to create an account at a new bank and perhaps a subsidiary in the EU.''
  +
  +
''<u>Past arguments regarding relocation/subsidiary, mentioned during [[Board/Minutes/2020-10-S2S/Legal_team_and_Brexit_implications_-_resolve_how_to_respond| 2020-10 board screen-to-screen meeting]]:</u>''
  +
  +
''In favour of moving''
  +
* ''Existential: Keep sui generis database rights [https://www.gov.uk/guidance/sui-generis-database-rights-after-the-transition-period](https://www.gov.uk/guidance/sui-generis-database-rights-after-the-transition-period). We still have other protections, but this is a big one and has been useful in the past.''
  +
* ''Financial reasons: ''
  +
** ''(EUR) banking.''
  +
** ''Paypal easier.''
  +
** ''Possible to receive tax-free status as a foundation in Luxembourg?''
  +
** ''We currently pay about £6000 in tax per year. Will increase with iD/SRE (Site Reliability Engineer) funding income.
  +
* ''Easier rules regarding membership.''
  +
* ''EU representative for the OSMF for GDPR purposes (a separate issue which is however solvable by simply determining a rep). Kathleen Lu (lawyer, [[Licensing_Working_Group| LWG]] member) thinks it's not necessary.''
  +
* ''Keep .EU domain.''
  +
  +
''Against''
  +
* ''It's a lot of work.''
  +
* ''Cost (lawyers, registration...).''
  +
* ''Time budget/bandwidth of board.''
  +
  +
''<u>Related</u>:''
  +
* ''2020-10: [[Board/Minutes/2020-10-S2S/Legal_team_and_Brexit_implications_-_resolve_how_to_respond| Legal team and Brexit implications - resolve how to respond]] (session during board screen-to-screen meeting)''
  +
* ''2020-09: [[Licensing_Working_Group/Minutes/2020-09-10#BREXIT|Licensing Working Group discussion about Brexit]].''
  +
* ''2020-08: action item for a board member to have a call with a relocation lawyer and come back to the board with a proposal / circular resolution.''
  +
* ''2019-02: low-key call to members ([[OSMF_updates/2019-02|"Nonprofits that have relocated from UK "]]) about any nonprofit organisations -even at a different sector - that started life in the UK and later moved elsewhere.''
  +
* ''2019-02: [[Board/Minutes/2019-02-20#Brexit| Board discussion about Brexit]].''
  +
  +
''Please note that there have been additional board/LWG discussions regarding Brexit.''
  +
|-
  +
| ''Suggested by Allan Mustard.''
  +
|}
  +
  +
''Discuss incorporating subsidiaries in the United States (a 501(c)(3) charity) and the EU (EU-equivalent tax-free charity) with an eye to reincorporating after an [[Articles_of_Association|Articles of Association]] amendment vote.''
  +
  +
Allan asked the board members in EU countries to start researching where it would be easiest and most appropriate to move.
  +
  +
US
  +
* Majority of OSMF income through US donors, who don't get tax reduction, as we're not officially a non-profit charity.
  +
* They might be more generous if we incorporate as a charity.
  +
* ''Do US recognise foreign charities as equivalent for tax reduction?'' > Have to be US based.
  +
  +
<u>Decisions</u>
  +
* Allan Mustard and Mikel Maron to look at US subsidiary.
  +
* Rory McCann to look into Ireland. OSM IE incorporated in recent years.
  +
* Jean-Marc Liotier will look into France.
  +
* Guillaume Rischard to look into Luxembourg.
  +
  +
<u>Suggestions</u>
  +
* Create list of requirements, e.g.
  +
** Contributor term contracts must survive the transition.
  +
** Not necessary to have a director in that country.
  +
* Build some takeover protection.
  +
* Discussion during next mid-month chat.
  +
  +
<u>Points mentioned during discussion</u>
  +
* Employment laws and regulations vary in EU countries.
  +
* Banking might vary as well (i.e. if Directors need to live in the country where the bank is).
  +
* For Germany: initial impression that all Directors need to be there during registration and once a year to physically bring documentation.
  +
* The corporation would not wind down until we have 2 subsidiaries up and running.
  +
  +
<u>On timing</u>
  +
* Ideally ready for December [[Articles_of_Association|Articles of Association]] (AoA) vote, but probably won't be ready by then.
  +
  +
'''Action item''': Allan to create a list of requirements for creating a subsidiary e.g.
  +
* Contributor term contracts must survive the transition.
  +
* Not necessary to have a director in that country.
   
 
== Banking situation ==
 
== Banking situation ==
{| role="presentation" class="wikitable mw-collapsible mw-expanded"
+
{| role="presentation" class="wikitable mw-collapsible mw-collapsed"
 
! <b>Background</b>
 
! <b>Background</b>
 
|-
 
|-
Line 28: Line 135:
 
|}
 
|}
   
  +
* Paypal unblocked.
== Licensing Working Group planning during Kathleen's leave ==
 
  +
* Filled appeal to WISE bank.
  +
* Paperwork being filled for getting an account with the Bank of Ireland.
   
  +
''Additional details shared by the Treasurer on internal board document.''
{| role="presentation" class="wikitable mw-collapsible mw-expanded"
 
  +
  +
== Responding to proposed Engineering Working Group restart ==
  +
{| role="presentation" class="wikitable mw-collapsible mw-collapsed"
 
! <b>Background</b>
 
! <b>Background</b>
 
|-
 
|-
  +
| ''Paul Norman ([[Engineering_Working_Group|EWG]], [https://operations.osmfoundation.org/ OWG]) had gathered some people who want to draft a scope for a restarted [[Engineering_Working_Group|Engineering Working Group]] and propose it to the board. The first meeting was on 2021-04-02 and an email summary was sent afterwards to the board (see below),
|
 
  +
  +
''Participants of first meeting: Rob Savoye, Roland Olbricht, Tobias Knerr, Adam Hoyle and Paul Norman.''
  +
  +
* ''Administrative matters.''
  +
* ''Introductions.''
  +
* ''Discussion on defining the scope they intend to propose to the board.''
  +
** ''Proposal: putting out calls for paid development, responding to submissions, managing accepted proposals, and Google Summer of Code.''
  +
  +
''The team would explicitly like to put maintenance to improve developer experience (tech debt), developer documentation, and other work that does not result in new features. They have work to do around defining classes of software (core, non-core, or other terms) and what they want to focus on and will be working on this, then discussing it at a meeting next week.''
  +
  +
''Previous board discussions:''
  +
* ''[[Board/Minutes/2021-04#Engineering_Working_Group|2021-04-30]] (public board meeting), [[Board/Minutes/2021-04-09#How.27s_the_Engineering_Working_Group_revamp_looking.3F|2021-04-09]] (board chat)''
  +
* ''2021-02 [[Board/Minutes/2021-02-S2S/Discuss_rebooting_the_Engineering_Working_Group|Discuss rebooting the Engineering Working Group]] (Screen-to-screen board meeting)''
  +
|-
  +
| ''Suggested by Tobias Knerr.''
  +
|}
  +
  +
Feedback provided to Tobias by some board members before this meeting.
  +
  +
<u>Suggestions</u>
  +
* Proposal focused on management of paid effort within OSM/F ecosystem but there's need to help provide a space for non-paid software efforts as well.
  +
* Vote in May board meeting on revised [[Engineering_Working_Group|Engineering Working Group]] (EWG) charter (if revised).
  +
  +
'''Action item''': Jean-Marc, Rory and Tobias to email the [[Engineering_Working_Group|Engineering Working Group]] (EWG) on behalf of the board with suggestion for EWG to help provide a space for non-paid software efforts as well.
  +
  +
== iD next steps ==
  +
{| role="presentation" class="wikitable mw-collapsible mw-collapsed"
  +
! <b>Background</b>
 
|-
 
|-
  +
| ''After two and a half years developing iD, Quincy Morgan wishes to pass the torch on, for personal reasons. The joint statement of the board with Quincy regarding [https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Id iD] development is [https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2021/04/26/joint-statement-from-quincy-morgan-and-the-osmf-board/ here] (en). ([https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2021/04/28/declaracion-conjunta-quincy-morgan-junta-fundacion-openstreetmap-desarrollo-id/?lang=es es], [https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2021/04/27/declaration-conjointe-de-quincy-morgan-et-du-conseil-dadministration-de-la-fondation-openstreetmap-concernant-le-developpement-did/?lang=fr fr], [https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2021/04/27/declaracion-conxunta-de-quincy-morgan-e-o-consello-da-fundacion-openstreetmap-sobre-o-desenvolvemento-de-id/?lang=gl gl], [https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2021/04/27/gezamenlijke-verklaring-van-quincy-morgan-en-het-bestuur-van-de-openstreetmap-foundation-over-id-ontwikkeling/?lang=nl nl], [https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2021/05/05/wspolny-komunikat-quincy-morgan-oraz-zarzadu-fundacji-openstreetmap-w-sprawie-rozwoju-edytora-id/?lang=pl pl], [https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2021/04/27/%d1%81%d0%be%d0%b2%d0%bc%d0%b5%d1%81%d1%82%d0%bd%d0%be%d0%b5-%d0%b7%d0%b0%d1%8f%d0%b2%d0%bb%d0%b5%d0%bd%d0%b8%d0%b5-%d0%ba%d1%83%d0%b8%d0%bd%d1%81%d0%b8-%d0%bc%d0%be%d1%80%d0%b3%d0%b0%d0%bd%d0%b0/?lang=ru ru], [https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2021/05/07/%e9%97%9c%e6%96%bcid%e5%b0%88%e6%a1%88%e9%96%8b%e7%99%bc%ef%bc%8c%e6%98%86%e8%a5%bf%e2%80%a7%e6%91%a9%e6%a0%b9%e8%88%87%e9%96%8b%e6%94%be%e8%a1%97%e5%9c%96%e5%9f%ba%e9%87%91%e6%9c%83%e7%90%86%e4%ba%8b/?lang=zh-hant zh-hant]).''
| ''Suggested by Mikel Maron.''
 
  +
  +
''[https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Id iD] related board discussions during the past year:''
  +
* ''2021-04 [[Board/Minutes/2021-04-09#iD_updates|iD update]] (board chat)''
  +
* ''2020-11 [[Board/Minutes/2020-11-12#Funding_for_SSRE_.26_iD_-_update|Funding for SSRE & iD - update]] (board chat)''
  +
* ''2020-06 Responses to RFC on iD governance ([[Board/Minutes/2020-06-11#Responses_to_RFC_on_iD_governance|board chat]], [[Board/Minutes/2020-06#Responses_to_RFC_on_iD_governance|board meeting]])''
  +
|-
  +
| ''Suggested by Tobias Knerr.''
 
|}
 
|}
  +
  +
One candidate so far.
  +
  +
<u>Suggestion</u>
  +
* Active recruitment: clearly ask for applications.
  +
  +
<u>Related to [[Engineering_Working_Group|Engineering Working Group]] (EWG)</u>
  +
* Depending on the responsibilities of the EWG, the iD development job might vary.
  +
* EWG is a platform for coordination and recruitment - not maintenance.
  +
* EWG could
  +
** take the project-management and communication role related to iD development.
  +
** be engaged in writing the iD job description, in the announcement and recruitment.
  +
** provide guidance on the contract, together with the personnel committee.
  +
  +
<u>Interim period till we get iD maintainer</u>
  +
* Knowledge transfer.
  +
* Suggestion of meeting with developers working on forks of iD (e.g. in HOT, Microsoft, Facebook, Amazon) that might help in the interim period.
  +
** Someone needs to own it.
  +
** Could also get the word out about recruitment.
  +
** Would be a shame not to talk to organisations who invest more than 10x resources on development of iD forks.
  +
  +
'''Action items''':
  +
* Jean-Marc Liotier to start recruitment.
  +
* Mikel Maron to organise a meeting with developers working on forks of iD.
  +
  +
<u>Other points mentioned</u><br>
  +
The new iD developer might convince companies working on iD forks that the convenience on working on the forks without community input is less valuable and important than collaborating. Then some modularity in iD codebase could be pushed up.
  +
  +
== Payoneer account for Google Summer of Code ==
  +
''Suggested by Tobias Knerr.''
  +
  +
Google wants to give us 1600 USD for the [https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code Google Summer of Code], but might be difficult with our current [[Board/Minutes/2021-04#Treasurer.27s_report|banking situation]].
  +
  +
There is a bank account they could transfer the amount to, but a specific reference should be provided during the transaction, otherwise the amount won't reach us. As this is non-standard procedure for them, it probably won't work.
  +
  +
''Can they wait?''
  +
  +
<u>Decision</u>: Tobias to talk with Guillaume.
  +
  +
== Board and Licensing Working Group meeting about Attribution Guidelines ==
  +
{| role="presentation" class="wikitable mw-collapsible mw-collapsed"
  +
! <b>Background on draft Attribution Guidelines</b>
  +
|-
  +
|
  +
''The [[Licensing_Working_Group| Licensing Working Group]] (LWG) had created [[Draft_Attribution_Guideline| a draft attribution guideline]] , which was [[Draft_Attribution_Guideline/2020v2| subsequently modified by the board]]. After meetings of the board with [[Advisory_Board/Minutes/2020-06-22|Corporate Member representatives on attribution]] (Jun and Oct 2020) and with LWG members (Oct 2020), the board version was modified.''
  +
  +
''December meeting [[Board/Minutes/2020-12#Attribution_Guidelines|decisions to]]:''
  +
* ''Publish the current document after giving the [[Licensing_Working_Group|Licensing Working Group]] (LWG) a heads up tonight.''
  +
* ''Ask LWG to summarise the points they still consider open from the comments on that document and ask Dermot McNally (LWG member), who has no conflict of interest, to present that report at the next LWG meeting. (# Dermot has been asked and agreed to do it).''
  +
* ''Rory to work with external counsel to try to find the solutions to these issues that are most favourable to us.''
  +
  +
The board received an answer from Kyle Mitchell ''(Intellectual Property lawyer suggested by Allen Gunn)'', who was contacted to provide external legal advice on the draft attribution guidelines. The initial email was approved by Dermot McNally ''([[Licensing_Working_Group|Licensing Working Group]])'' and included the current draft of the attribution guidelines and a list of questions. Related: [[Board/Minutes/2021-04#2021.2FRes11_Authorise_Allan_to_send_attribution_guideline_letter_to_Intellectual_Property_lawyer|Circular 2021/Res11]]: Authorise Allan to send attribution guideline letter to Intellectual Property lawyer.
  +
  +
''<u>Attribution related meetings, excluding recurring board and LWG meetings</u>''
  +
* ''2020-12-04 [[Board/Minutes/2020-12-04|Board and LWG meeting (Dermot McNally) on draft attribution guidelines]]'' - ''The meeting was set-up in short time. The LWG was invited but only Dermot McNally could participate in such short notice.''
  +
* ''2020-10-15 Board and LWG meeting on draft attribution guidelines''
  +
* ''2020-10-09 Board and AB Corporate Members representatives meeting''
  +
* ''2020-10-02 Session [[Board/Minutes/2020-10-S2S/Make_progress_on_attribution_guidelines_and_enforcement| Make progress on attribution guidelines and enforcement]], during board [[Board/Minutes/2020-10-S2S|screen-to-screen]] October meeting''
  +
* ''2020-06-22 [[Advisory_Board/Minutes/2020-06-22| Board and AB Corporate Members representatives meeting]]''
  +
  +
''<u>Attribution related board minutes</u>''
  +
* ''2021: Jan [[Board/Minutes/2021-01#Attribution_guidelines_update|Attribution guidelines update]], [[Board/Minutes/2021-02-12|Feb 12]] (mid month board chat), Apr 09 [[Board/Minutes/2021-04-09#Kyle_Mitchell.27s_response_regarding_attribution_guidelines_and_ODbL|Kyle Mitchell's response regarding attribution guidelines and ODbL]], Apr 16 [[Board/Minutes/2021-04-16#Draft_attribution_guidelines|Attribution guidelines]] (dedicated chat), [[Board/Minutes/2021-04#Draft_Attribution_Guidelines| Apr 30]]''
  +
* ''2020: Jan [[Board/Minutes/2020-01#Attribution_and_lack_thereof|Attribution and lack thereof]], Apr [[Board/Minutes/2020-04#Update_on_LWG.27s_rewrite_of_attribution_policy|Update on LWG's rewrite of attribution policy]], May [[Board/Minutes/2020-05-06#Status_of_Attribution_policy_.5BGuillaume.5D.5Brequested_by_Allan.5D| Status of Attribution policy]], [[Board/Minutes/2020-05-06#Status_of_Facebook_attribution_issue_on_mobile_.5BMikel.5D_.5Brequested_by_Tobias.5D|Status of Facebook attribution issue on mobile]], Jun [[Board/Minutes/2020-06#Status_of_attribution_guideline| Status]], [[Advisory_Board/Minutes/2020-06-22| Meeting with Corporate Members of the Advisory Board on attribution]], Oct [[Board/Minutes/2020-10-S2S/Make_progress_on_attribution_guidelines_and_enforcement| screen-to-screen discussion]], [[Board/Minutes/2020-10#Attribution_Guidelines_status_update| update]], Nov [[Board/Minutes/2020-11-12#Attribution_guidelines_update| update 1]], [[Board/Minutes/2020-11#Attribution_Guidelines_update| update 2]], Dec [[Board/Minutes/2020-12-04| update]] (informal board chat), [[Board/Minutes/2020-12#Attribution_Guidelines|update]] (public board meeting).''
  +
* ''2019 Oct [[Board/Minutes/2019-10-16#Attribution_by_Facebook| Attribution by Facebook]]. ''
  +
  +
''<u>Attribution guidance related LWG minutes</u>''
  +
* ''2021: Jan [[Licensing_Working_Group/Minutes/2021-01-14#Attribution_Guidelines| Attribution guidelines]], Feb [[Licensing_Working_Group/Minutes/2021-02-11#Attribution_guidelines_gap_list_and_board_status_update_on_outside_counsel| Attribution guidelines gap list and board status update on outside counsel]]''
  +
* ''2020: [[Licensing_Working_Group/Minutes/2020-01-09#.E2.80.9CTwitter_attribution_thread.E2.80.9D| Jan]] (“Twitter attribution thread”), [[Licensing_Working_Group/Minutes/2020-02-13#Attribution_guideline| Feb]], [[Licensing_Working_Group/Minutes/2020-03-12#Attribution_guideline| Mar]], [[Licensing_Working_Group/Minutes/2020-04-09#Attribution| Apr]], [[Licensing_Working_Group/Minutes/2020-07-09#Review_Board_Attribution_Guidance| Jul]],
  +
[[Licensing_Working_Group/Minutes/2020-08-13#Attribution_guideline_feedback| Aug]], [[Licensing_Working_Group/Minutes/2020-10-08#Draft_attribution_guideline| Oct]], [[Licensing_Working_Group/Minutes/2020-11-12#Newest_draft_of_Attribution_Guidelines_from_this_morning| Nov]]
  +
* ''2019: [[Licensing_Working_Group/Minutes/2019-01-10#Update_attribution_guidance| Jan]], [[Licensing_Working_Group/Minutes/2019-04-11#Attribution_Guidance| Apr]], [[Licensing_Working_Group/Minutes/2019-05-09#Attribution_Guidance| May]], [[Licensing_Working_Group/Minutes/2019-06-13#Attribution_Guidance| Jun]], [[Licensing_Working_Group/Minutes/2019-07-11#Attribution_Guidance| Jul]], [[Licensing_Working_Group/Minutes/2019-08-08#Attribution_Guidance| Aug]], [[Licensing_Working_Group/Minutes/2019-09-12#Attribution_Guidance| Sep]], [[Licensing_Working_Group/Minutes/2019-10-10#Attribution_Guidance| Oct]], [[Licensing_Working_Group/Minutes/2019-11-14#Attribution_Guidance| Nov]], [[Licensing_Working_Group/Minutes/2019-12-12#Attribution_Guidance| Dec]]''
  +
* ''2018: [[Licensing_Working_Group/Minutes/2018-12-13#Update_attribution_guidance| Dec]]''
  +
  +
''[https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/osmf-talk OSMF members] related discussions:''
  +
* ''Attribution guideline status update: 2019 [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2019-August/006161.html Aug], [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2019-September/006197.html Sep], [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2019-October/006295.html Oct], [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2019-November/006328.html Nov], [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2019-December/006521.html Dec]''
  +
* ''Attribution: board letter to Facebook: 2019 [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2019-October/006243.html Oct], [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2019-November/006355.html Nov]''
  +
|-
  +
|''Suggested and presented by Tobias Knerr.''
  +
|}
  +
  +
Edits to the gap-list document made by the [[Licensing_Working_Group|Licensing Working Group]] (LWG) after their May meeting.
  +
  +
'''Action item''': Board to arrange meeting with LWG.
  +
  +
== Hiring a senior site reliability engineer - status update ==
  +
{| role="presentation" class="wikitable mw-collapsible mw-collapsed"
  +
! <b>Background</b>
  +
|-
  +
| '' The OSMF Board plans to hire a person as a senior site reliability engineer (SSRE).''
  +
  +
''Related:''
  +
* ''2020-11 [[Board/Minutes/2020-11-12#Funding_for_SSRE_.26_iD_-_update|Funding for SSRE & iD - update]]''
  +
* ''2020-07 [[Board/Minutes/2020-07#Proposal_to_hire_a_senior_site_reliability_engineer|Proposal to hire a senior site reliability engineer]]''
  +
|-
  +
| ''Suggested by Allan Mustard.''
  +
|}
  +
  +
''No progress.''
  +
  +
* Overdue.
  +
* Next step: writing formal job description.
  +
  +
Decision: addition of topic to the next board meeting.
  +
  +
'''Action item''': Jean-Marc to work on a formal job description during the next 2 weeks, so that it gets voted at the next board meeting.
  +
  +
== Any other business ==
  +
=== Strategic plan outline ===
  +
{| role="presentation" class="wikitable mw-collapsible mw-collapsed"
  +
|-
  +
|
  +
''An action item of the [[Board/Minutes/2020-10-S2S|2020-10 screen-to-screen board meeting]] was for Allan Mustard [[Board/Minutes/2020-10-S2S/Action_items#Allan| to circulate a strategic plan outline to the rest of the board members]] and drive forward the topic (which would then serve fundraising asks in 2021) (Topics: [[Board/Minutes/2020-10-S2S/OSMF_fundraising| OSMF fundraising]] and [[Board/Minutes/2020-10-S2S/Wrap-up_session|Wrap-up session]]). The outline was created in October 2020 and board members have provided feedback on it. The draft will be published for community consultation once most board members agree that it doesn't need any further refinement.''
  +
  +
''Previous related board discussions''
  +
* ''2021-02-26 [[Board/Minutes/2021-02#Strategic_plan_outline_-_update| Strategic plan outline update]]''
  +
* ''2021-02-06 [[Board/Minutes/2021-02-S2S/Strategic_plan_-_Agree_on_plan_for_the_plan|Strategic plan - Agree on "plan for the plan"]] (screen to screen board meeting)''
  +
* ''2021-01-15 [[Board/Minutes/2021-01-15#Strategic_plan_outline|Strategic plan outline]] (mid-month board chat)''
  +
* ''2020-12-18 [[Board/Minutes/2020-12-18#Can_we_get_an_update_on_the_status_of_the_Strategic_Plan.3F|Members: Can we get an update on the status of the Strategic Plan?]]''
  +
* ''2020-10-09 [[Advisory_Board/Minutes/2020-10-09#Strategic_plan_creation| On strategic plan creation]] (From online meeting with three of the six Corporate Members of the [[Advisory_Board|Advisory Board]])''
  +
* ''2020-10-02 and 03 Action item: Allan to circulate outline to rest of board members regarding strategic plan and drive forward the topic (which would then serve fundraising asks in 2021) (Topics: [[Board/Minutes/2020-10-S2S/OSMF_fundraising| OSMF fundraising]] and [[Board/Minutes/2020-10-S2S/Wrap-up_session|Wrap-up session]])''
  +
|-
  +
|''Allan Mustard''
  +
|}
  +
  +
'''Action item''': Allan to circulate the Strategic plan outline to [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/osmf-talk osmf-talk] ''(the mailing list for OSMF members ~ you need to be an [https://join.osmfoundation.org/ OSMF member] to subscribe. All messages are available [http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/ here]).''
  +
  +
=== Reminders for formal requirements for circulars and conflict of interest cases ===
  +
''by Dorothea''
  +
  +
'''Circulars''' ''([[Board_Rules_of_Order#7._Circular_Resolutions|about circulars]])''
  +
* Minimum duration of voting on circulars is 1 week, the duration can't be 1-3 days (can be extended to 2 weeks by request) - ([[Board_Rules_of_Order#7._Circular_Resolutions|7.2 on board rules of order]]).
  +
* The content of the circular and links are public by default ([[Board_Rules_of_Order#7._Circular_Resolutions|7.6 on board rules of order]]).
  +
* The title and the content must make clear what is approved and what happens when a circular fails.
  +
* Comments on the circulars on Loomio are made public.
  +
  +
'''Conflict of interest'''
  +
* Any board member with a conflict of interest during a circular/voting must declare it by clearly stating or writing that it exists - [[Conflict_of_Interest_Policy|Board Conflict of Interest Policy]].
   
 
== Next meeting ==
 
== Next meeting ==

Latest revision as of 15:35, 19 May 2021

Draft minutes.

Location: Video room https://osmvideo.cloud68.co/user/ror-nt7-6tu
using BigBlueButton.

Please note that this video chat is not open to observers.

Date and time: Friday 14 May 2021, 14:00 UTC - Countdown
Acronyms

Participants

Board members

  • Allan Mustard (Chairing)
  • Tobias Knerr
  • Rory McCann
  • Mikel Maron
  • Eugene Alvin Villar
  • Jean-Marc Liotier
  • Guillaume Rischard (joined ~6' after start)

Officers and board
Biographies

Minutes by Dorothea Kazazi

Not Present

Guests

Not open to observers.

Some topics have been reordered during the meeting.

Licensing Working Group planning during Kathleen's leave

Kathleen Lu (Licensing Working Group - LWG) will be away from mid-June to November 2021. Her LWG work includes amongst others:

  • Reviewing trademark notices.
  • Enquiries related to academic papers.
  • Legal questions.
  • LWG agenda building.

Dorothea was asked to have a meeting with Kathleen and Mikel to see if she could help during the leave.

Dorothea will

  • LWG agenda - create it with topics suggested by LWG members.
  • Meetings - send reminders.
  • Trademark watch notices - make first screening and add any cases that might need follow-up to the next LWG agenda.

Dermot McNally (LWG) volunteered to chair the LWG meetings.

Investigate moving OSMF out of the UK, and into the EU

Discuss incorporating subsidiaries in the United States (a 501(c)(3) charity) and the EU (EU-equivalent tax-free charity) with an eye to reincorporating after an Articles of Association amendment vote.

Allan asked the board members in EU countries to start researching where it would be easiest and most appropriate to move.

US

  • Majority of OSMF income through US donors, who don't get tax reduction, as we're not officially a non-profit charity.
  • They might be more generous if we incorporate as a charity.
  • Do US recognise foreign charities as equivalent for tax reduction? > Have to be US based.

Decisions

  • Allan Mustard and Mikel Maron to look at US subsidiary.
  • Rory McCann to look into Ireland. OSM IE incorporated in recent years.
  • Jean-Marc Liotier will look into France.
  • Guillaume Rischard to look into Luxembourg.

Suggestions

  • Create list of requirements, e.g.
    • Contributor term contracts must survive the transition.
    • Not necessary to have a director in that country.
  • Build some takeover protection.
  • Discussion during next mid-month chat.

Points mentioned during discussion

  • Employment laws and regulations vary in EU countries.
  • Banking might vary as well (i.e. if Directors need to live in the country where the bank is).
  • For Germany: initial impression that all Directors need to be there during registration and once a year to physically bring documentation.
  • The corporation would not wind down until we have 2 subsidiaries up and running.

On timing

Action item: Allan to create a list of requirements for creating a subsidiary e.g.

  • Contributor term contracts must survive the transition.
  • Not necessary to have a director in that country.

Banking situation

  • Paypal unblocked.
  • Filled appeal to WISE bank.
  • Paperwork being filled for getting an account with the Bank of Ireland.

Additional details shared by the Treasurer on internal board document.

Responding to proposed Engineering Working Group restart

Feedback provided to Tobias by some board members before this meeting.

Suggestions

  • Proposal focused on management of paid effort within OSM/F ecosystem but there's need to help provide a space for non-paid software efforts as well.
  • Vote in May board meeting on revised Engineering Working Group (EWG) charter (if revised).

Action item: Jean-Marc, Rory and Tobias to email the Engineering Working Group (EWG) on behalf of the board with suggestion for EWG to help provide a space for non-paid software efforts as well.

iD next steps

One candidate so far.

Suggestion

  • Active recruitment: clearly ask for applications.

Related to Engineering Working Group (EWG)

  • Depending on the responsibilities of the EWG, the iD development job might vary.
  • EWG is a platform for coordination and recruitment - not maintenance.
  • EWG could
    • take the project-management and communication role related to iD development.
    • be engaged in writing the iD job description, in the announcement and recruitment.
    • provide guidance on the contract, together with the personnel committee.

Interim period till we get iD maintainer

  • Knowledge transfer.
  • Suggestion of meeting with developers working on forks of iD (e.g. in HOT, Microsoft, Facebook, Amazon) that might help in the interim period.
    • Someone needs to own it.
    • Could also get the word out about recruitment.
    • Would be a shame not to talk to organisations who invest more than 10x resources on development of iD forks.

Action items:

  • Jean-Marc Liotier to start recruitment.
  • Mikel Maron to organise a meeting with developers working on forks of iD.

Other points mentioned
The new iD developer might convince companies working on iD forks that the convenience on working on the forks without community input is less valuable and important than collaborating. Then some modularity in iD codebase could be pushed up.

Payoneer account for Google Summer of Code

Suggested by Tobias Knerr.

Google wants to give us 1600 USD for the Google Summer of Code, but might be difficult with our current banking situation.

There is a bank account they could transfer the amount to, but a specific reference should be provided during the transaction, otherwise the amount won't reach us. As this is non-standard procedure for them, it probably won't work.

Can they wait?

Decision: Tobias to talk with Guillaume.

Board and Licensing Working Group meeting about Attribution Guidelines

Edits to the gap-list document made by the Licensing Working Group (LWG) after their May meeting.

Action item: Board to arrange meeting with LWG.

Hiring a senior site reliability engineer - status update

No progress.

  • Overdue.
  • Next step: writing formal job description.

Decision: addition of topic to the next board meeting.

Action item: Jean-Marc to work on a formal job description during the next 2 weeks, so that it gets voted at the next board meeting.

Any other business

Strategic plan outline

Action item: Allan to circulate the Strategic plan outline to osmf-talk (the mailing list for OSMF members ~ you need to be an OSMF member to subscribe. All messages are available here).

Reminders for formal requirements for circulars and conflict of interest cases

by Dorothea

Circulars (about circulars)

  • Minimum duration of voting on circulars is 1 week, the duration can't be 1-3 days (can be extended to 2 weeks by request) - (7.2 on board rules of order).
  • The content of the circular and links are public by default (7.6 on board rules of order).
  • The title and the content must make clear what is approved and what happens when a circular fails.
  • Comments on the circulars on Loomio are made public.

Conflict of interest

  • Any board member with a conflict of interest during a circular/voting must declare it by clearly stating or writing that it exists - Board Conflict of Interest Policy.

Next meeting

Public board meeting on Friday 28th of May 2021, 14:00 UTC -- Countdown

Acronyms