Difference between revisions of "Board/Minutes/2021-10"

From OpenStreetMap Foundation
< Board‎ | Minutes
(+ Any other business topic: "Engineering Working Group's request for budget")
(+ Results of two circulars (Approved: "2021/Res37 Sign non-disclosure agreement with Takeover Protection Special Committee" & "Data Working Group to implement proposed updates to Ban Policy"), changes to some background sections, + links for osmf-talk microgrants discussion and presenter's profile, formatting)
Line 56: Line 56:
 
|-
 
|-
 
|style="text-align: left; background: white;" | <span style="color: black;">
 
|style="text-align: left; background: white;" | <span style="color: black;">
  +
'''Approved''' on 2021-10-24 with '''4 votes in favour''': <u>Mikel Maron</u>, <u>Tobias Knerr</u>, <u>Allan Mustard</u>, <u>Amanda McCann</u>. <br>
'''Voting closes on 2021-10-24.'''
 
  +
'''3 not voted:''' <u>Guillaume Rischard</u>, <u>Jean-Marc Liotier</u>, <u>Eugene Alvin Villar</u>.
 
|-
 
|-
 
| ''Circular by Amanda McCann.''
 
| ''Circular by Amanda McCann.''
Line 67: Line 68:
 
|-
 
|-
 
|style="text-align: left; background: white;" | <span style="color: black;">
 
|style="text-align: left; background: white;" | <span style="color: black;">
  +
'''Approved''' on 2021-10-28 with '''5 votes in favour''': <u>Tobias Knerr</u>, <u>Jean-Marc Liotier</u>, <u>Eugene Alvin Villar</u>, <u>Mikel Maron</u>, <u>Allan Mustard</u>.<br>
'''Voting closes on 2021-10-28.'''
 
  +
'''1 abstained:''' <u>Amanda McCann</u> ''(I have no strong opinions on this. The actual changes will be visible on the Ban Policy and have been discussed internally on the board/DWG.)''<br>
  +
'''1 not voted:''' <u>Guillaume Rischard</u>.<br>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| ''Circular by Tobias Knerr.''
 
| ''Circular by Tobias Knerr.''
Line 102: Line 105:
 
''Related board discussions:''
 
''Related board discussions:''
 
* ''2021-10 [[Board/Minutes/2021-10-15|Membership prerequisites]] (mid-month board chat, not open to observers)''
 
* ''2021-10 [[Board/Minutes/2021-10-15|Membership prerequisites]] (mid-month board chat, not open to observers)''
* ''2021-08 [[Board/Minutes/2021-08-13#Membership_Prerequisites| Membership prerequisites]] ''(mid-month board chat, not open to observers)''
+
* ''2021-08 [[Board/Minutes/2021-08-13#Membership_Prerequisites| Membership prerequisites]] (mid-month board chat, not open to observers)''
 
* ''2021-02 [[Board/Minutes/2021-02-S2S/Discuss_Membership_prerequisites_-_steps_towards_Annual_General_Meeting_resolution|Discuss Membership prerequisites - steps towards Annual General Meeting resolution]] (board screen-to-screen meeting)''
 
* ''2021-02 [[Board/Minutes/2021-02-S2S/Discuss_Membership_prerequisites_-_steps_towards_Annual_General_Meeting_resolution|Discuss Membership prerequisites - steps towards Annual General Meeting resolution]] (board screen-to-screen meeting)''
 
* ''2020-10 [[Board/Minutes/2020-10-S2S/Articles_of_Association|Articles of Association]] (board screen-to-screen meeting)''
 
* ''2020-10 [[Board/Minutes/2020-10-S2S/Articles_of_Association|Articles of Association]] (board screen-to-screen meeting)''
 
|-
  +
| '' Suggested by Tobias Knerr.''
 
|-
 
|-
 
|}
 
|}
Line 121: Line 126:
 
* ''Should we get the OWG budgeting cycle synchronized with the rest of the OSMF?''
 
* ''Should we get the OWG budgeting cycle synchronized with the rest of the OSMF?''
 
|-
 
|-
| '' Suggested by Tobias Knerr.''
+
| '' Suggested by Tobias Knerr and during the [[Board/Minutes/2021-10-15|October mid-month board chat]].''
 
|-
 
|-
 
|}
 
|}
''Carried over from [[Board/Minutes/2021-10-15|October mid-month board chat]].''
 
   
 
== Microgrants - next round ==
 
== Microgrants - next round ==
Line 130: Line 134:
 
! Background
 
! Background
 
|-
 
|-
|The trial round of Microgrants ''(financial help provided by the OSM Foundation to applicants for OSM-related projects)'' ended in October 2021 ''(1 year period since dispersing funds)''.
+
|The trial round of Microgrants ''(financial help provided by the OSM Foundation to applicants for OSM-related projects)'' ended in October 2021 ''(1 year period since dispersing funds)''.
  +
  +
'''Second round'''<br>
 
The board is drafting a proposal for a second microgrants round, including parameters (amount of money, source of funds, and selected recommendations from the [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/File:OSMF_Microgrants_report_2020-21.odt final report] (.odt, 29 KB) by the [[Microgrants/Committee|microgrants committee]] to be voted during the October board meeting.
  +
  +
'''Related documents and suggestions:'''
  +
* [[Microgrants/Policy_Framework|Policy framework for the first microgrants round]]
  +
* Suggestions in [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/File:OSMF_Microgrants_report_2020-21.odt final report for the first round].''
  +
* Suggestions by OSMF members during [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2021-October/008164.html discussion] on osmf-talk.<small> ''([https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/osmf-talk osmf-talk] is the mailing list for OpenStreetMap Foundation members ([https://join.osmfoundation.org/ Join the Foundation]). All past messages are available [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/ here].)''</small>
  +
  +
'''First, trial round'''<br>
   
 
''' Final report by the [[Microgrants/Committee| Microgrants committee]]'''<br>
 
''' Final report by the [[Microgrants/Committee| Microgrants committee]]'''<br>
Line 173: Line 187:
 
Timeline with more details [[Microgrants/Timeline|here]].
 
Timeline with more details [[Microgrants/Timeline|here]].
 
|-
 
|-
| ''Suggested by Amanda McCann.''
+
| ''Suggested by Amanda McCann and during the [[Board/Minutes/2021-10-15|October mid-month board chat]].''
 
|}
 
|}
 
''Suggested during [[Board/Minutes/2021-10-15|October mid-month board chat]].''<br>
 
'' '''Related action item:''' Jean-Marc and Amanda to draft a proposal for a second microgrants round, including parameters (amount of money, source of funds, and selected recommendations from the [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/File:OSMF_Microgrants_report_2020-21.odt final report] (.odt, 29 KB) by the [[Microgrants/Committee|microgrants committee]]) to be voted during the October board meeting.''
 
   
 
== Analysis of options for OSMF relocation ==
 
== Analysis of options for OSMF relocation ==
Line 183: Line 194:
 
! <b> Background: Investigation into moving OSMF out of the UK, and into the EU </b>
 
! <b> Background: Investigation into moving OSMF out of the UK, and into the EU </b>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| The OSMF board is considering relocating the OSMF to the EU and is [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2021-June/007860.html consulting the members for feedback, advice and whether they’ve missed anything].
|
 
The OSMF board is considering relocating the OSMF to the EU and is [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2021-June/007860.html consulting the members for feedback, advice and whether they’ve missed anything].
 
   
 
Comments by members on the osmf-talk<sup>*</sup> mailing list: [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2021-June/thread.html#7860 thread 1], [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2021-July/thread.html#7923 thread 2].
 
Comments by members on the osmf-talk<sup>*</sup> mailing list: [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2021-June/thread.html#7860 thread 1], [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2021-July/thread.html#7923 thread 2].
Line 191: Line 201:
   
 
* [https://lite.framacalc.org/9oc7-osmf-possible-eu-successors Collaborative spreadsheet by the community].
 
* [https://lite.framacalc.org/9oc7-osmf-possible-eu-successors Collaborative spreadsheet by the community].
* [https://files.osmfoundation.org/apps/onlyoffice/s/F3QNmG8JHz8iWp5 Spreadsheet with answers to the board's questions, sent directly to the board].
+
* [https://files.osmfoundation.org/apps/onlyoffice/s/F3QNmG8JHz8iWp5 Spreadsheet with answers to the board's questions - answers sent directly to the board].
   
 
Please note that there were extensive discussions about Brexit and its effects by the [[Licensing_Working_Group|Licensing Working Group]] (LWG) ''(search the [[Working_Group_Minutes#Licensing_Working_Group|LWG minutes for "Brexit"]])'' and the issue was also previously discussed by OSMF members and the board.
 
Please note that there were extensive discussions about Brexit and its effects by the [[Licensing_Working_Group|Licensing Working Group]] (LWG) ''(search the [[Working_Group_Minutes#Licensing_Working_Group|LWG minutes for "Brexit"]])'' and the issue was also previously discussed by OSMF members and the board.
Line 198: Line 208:
 
* 2021-10 [[Board/Minutes/2021-10-15| Any other business: Analysis of options for OSMF relocation]] ''(mid-month board chat, not open to observers)''
 
* 2021-10 [[Board/Minutes/2021-10-15| Any other business: Analysis of options for OSMF relocation]] ''(mid-month board chat, not open to observers)''
 
* 2021-07 [[Board/Minutes/2021-07-16#Spreadsheet_for_collating_information_on_a_possible_move_out_of_the_UK|Spreadsheet for collating information on a possible move out of the UK]]
 
* 2021-07 [[Board/Minutes/2021-07-16#Spreadsheet_for_collating_information_on_a_possible_move_out_of_the_UK|Spreadsheet for collating information on a possible move out of the UK]]
* 2021-06 [[Board/Minutes/2021-06-11#Investigate_moving_OSMF_out_of_the_UK.2C_and_into_the_EU|Investigate moving OSMF out of the UK, and into the EU]] ''(mid-month board chat)''
+
* 2021-06 [[Board/Minutes/2021-06-11#Investigate_moving_OSMF_out_of_the_UK.2C_and_into_the_EU|Investigate moving OSMF out of the UK, and into the EU]] ''(mid-month board chat, not open to observers)''
 
|-
 
|-
| ''Suggested by Allan Mustard.''
+
| ''Suggested by Allan Mustard and during [[Board/Minutes/2021-10-15|October mid-month board chat]].''
 
|-
 
|-
 
|}
 
|}
''Suggested during [[Board/Minutes/2021-10-15|October mid-month board chat]].''<br>
 
 
'' '''Related action item:''' Jean-Marc to provide during the October board meeting a list of which countries have responded to us with information which is worth examining and what are our realistic options and to start looking at whether the new board will want to move in 2022 out of the UK.''
 
'' '''Related action item:''' Jean-Marc to provide during the October board meeting a list of which countries have responded to us with information which is worth examining and what are our realistic options and to start looking at whether the new board will want to move in 2022 out of the UK.''
   
Line 273: Line 282:
 
|-
 
|-
 
|}
 
|}
  +
''Presenter: Geoffrey Kateregga.''
+
Presenter: [[osm:User:Kateregga1|Geoffrey Kateregga]].
   
 
== Any other business ==
 
== Any other business ==

Revision as of 11:59, 29 October 2021

Draft agenda and page for minutes. Topics will get locked one week before the meeting, on 22 October 2021.

Date and time: Friday 29 October at 14:00 UTC - Countdown

Location: Video room https://osmvideo.cloud68.co/user/ror-nt7-6tu
using BigBlueButton.

Acronyms

Participants

Board members

Officers and board
Biographies

Not Present

Guests

Open to all OSMF members.

You are welcome to ask questions or to comment (via voice or on the chat) at the end of the meeting.

  • Please mute your microphone when you join, and to preserve bandwidth, refrain from turning on your webcam.
  • If you are in a low-bandwidth environment, you may benefit from using BigBlueButton's low-bandwidth settings. To assess them, click on the 3 dots on the top right of the black video-window.

Administrative

Previous minutes

Circular Resolutions

2021/Res36 Translation budget for LCCWG moderation subcommittee

The Local Chapters and Communities Working Group (LCCWG) moderation subcommittee is provided with a budget of up to €1000 for translation services.

Approved on 2021-10-06 with 3 votes in favour: Allan Mustard, Mikel Maron, Tobias Knerr.
1 against: Guillaume Rischard (Premature. We have no budget request yet, no quote, no figure, nothing that's been sent to the treasurer. Agree on principle otherwise.)
1 abstained: Amanda McCann (While I would like more details on what's involved, such as who will be paid, who will decide what gets paid, what services will be used, and what languages are to be used,etc etc. So I am unsure, and will defer to the rest of the board (ie abstain))
2 not voted: Eugene Alvin Villar, Jean-Marc Liotier.

Circular by Tobias Knerr.

Related to the discussion following the LCCWG presentation during the September 2021 public board meeting.

2021/Res37 Sign non-disclosure agreement with Takeover Protection Special Committee

Sign the standard OSMF non-disclosure agreement with the current two members of the Takeover Protection Special Committee (2021/Res23) and share all current legal advice the Board has received on this topic with that Special Committee.

Approved on 2021-10-24 with 4 votes in favour: Mikel Maron, Tobias Knerr, Allan Mustard, Amanda McCann.
3 not voted: Guillaume Rischard, Jean-Marc Liotier, Eugene Alvin Villar.

Circular by Amanda McCann.

2021/Res38 Data Working Group to implement proposed updates to Ban Policy

By the board's request, the Data Working Group (DWG) has proposed changes to the Ban Policy, especially to reflect the practice of imposing blocks until a particular action has been taken. The board asks DWG to edit the policy document accordingly.

Approved on 2021-10-28 with 5 votes in favour: Tobias Knerr, Jean-Marc Liotier, Eugene Alvin Villar, Mikel Maron, Allan Mustard.
1 abstained: Amanda McCann (I have no strong opinions on this. The actual changes will be visible on the Ban Policy and have been discussed internally on the board/DWG.)
1 not voted: Guillaume Rischard.

Circular by Tobias Knerr.

Action item updates

See Board/Action_Items.

Treasurer's report

Scheduling a general meeting for Spring (northern hemisphere) / Autumn (southern hemisphere) 2022

Related action item from the October mid-month board chat: Tobias to have a motion ready to be voted by the board during the October board meeting. The motion will mention that the next board must write the text for a special resolution1 regarding membership requirements, to be voted by the membership at a General Meeting that will take place during next Spring (Northern hemisphere) / Autumn (Southern hemisphere).

1"Special resolution" has the meaning given in section 283 of the Companies Act 2006. A special resolution, when approved, changes the Articles of Association (AoA) of the Foundation.

Questions related to Operations Working Group 2022 plan

Microgrants - next round

Analysis of options for OSMF relocation

Related action item: Jean-Marc to provide during the October board meeting a list of which countries have responded to us with information which is worth examining and what are our realistic options and to start looking at whether the new board will want to move in 2022 out of the UK.

State of the Map safety policy wording

Future of the FOSS Policy Special Committee

Advisory Board - monthly update

Monthly presentation - Uganda community

Presenter: Geoffrey Kateregga.

Any other business

Engineering Working Group's request for budget

The proposed budget was submitted to the board after the agenda for this meeting got locked. It was suggested by board members that the topic could be raised for discussion during the "any other business" section of the board meeting.

Guest comments or questions

Next meeting

Open board meetings take place online once a month, usually on the last Friday of the month at 14:00 UTC.

See the Monthly Board meetings page to find out where board meetings are announced and for a subscription link to have future board meetings automatically added to your calendar.

Acronyms