Difference between revisions of "Board/Minutes/2021-10"

From OpenStreetMap Foundation
< Board‎ | Minutes
Jump to navigation Jump to search
(+ topics "Scheduling a general meeting for Spring 2022", "Questions related to Operations Working Group 2022 plan")
(+ 2 topics and related backgrounds: "Microgrants", "Analysis of options for OSMF relocation". Topics added based on action items proposed during the October mid-month board chat. + Background and action item for membership prerequisites related topic (scheduling a general meeting))
Line 67: Line 67:
   
 
== Scheduling a general meeting for Spring 2022 ==
 
== Scheduling a general meeting for Spring 2022 ==
  +
{| role="presentation" class="wikitable mw-collapsible mw-collapsed"
  +
! <b>Membership prerequisites background</b>
  +
|-
  +
|''The OSMF membership voted in 2020-12 and [[Annual_General_Meetings/2020/Suggested_resolutions#Vote_3:_Work_on_membership_prerequisites|decided]] the following:''
  +
  +
"The board of directors shall, together with the OSMF [[Membership_Working_Group|Membership Working Group]], work on a set of proposals to ensure that all successful applicants for membership or associate membership in the OpenStreetMap Foundation have made a reasonable amount of contributions to OpenStreetMap. The specific form of the contributions (e.g. mapping vs. non-mapping) does not make a difference for the fulfillment of these prerequisites. The board shall submit these proposals as possible resolutions at a general meeting in 2021."
  +
  +
''The rationale is presented [[Annual_General_Meetings/2020/Suggested_resolutions#Vote_3:_Work_on_membership_prerequisites|here]].''
  +
  +
''The [[Membership_Working_Group|Membership Working Group]] (MWG) does not have the humanpower to complete the work in time for the [[Annual_General_Meetings|Annual General Meeting]] (AGM) in December, so some board members have offered to help.''
  +
  +
''If you would like to help the volunteers of the [[Membership_Working_Group|Membership Working Group]] to work on this, please email mwg@osmfoundation.org ''
  +
  +
''Related board discussions:''
  +
* ''2021-10 [[Board/Minutes/2021-10-15|Membership prerequisites]] (mid-month board chat, not open to observers)''
  +
* ''2021-08 [[Board/Minutes/2021-08-13#Membership_Prerequisites| Membership prerequisites]] ''(mid-month board chat, not open to observers)''
  +
* ''2021-02 [[Board/Minutes/2021-02-S2S/Discuss_Membership_prerequisites_-_steps_towards_Annual_General_Meeting_resolution|Discuss Membership prerequisites - steps towards Annual General Meeting resolution]] (board screen-to-screen meeting)''
  +
* ''2020-10 [[Board/Minutes/2020-10-S2S/Articles_of_Association|Articles of Association]] (board screen-to-screen meeting)''
  +
|-
  +
|}
  +
'' '''Related action item from the [[Board/Minutes/2021-10-15|October mid-month board chat]]:''' Tobias to have a motion ready to be voted by the board during the October board meeting. The motion will mention that the next board must write the text for a special resolution<sup>1</sup> regarding membership requirements, to be voted by the membership at a General Meeting that will take place during next Spring (Northern hemisphere) / Autumn (Southern hemisphere).''
  +
  +
<sup>1</sup>''"Special resolution" has the meaning given in section 283 of the [https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/46/contents Companies Act 2006]. A special resolution, when approved, changes the [[Articles_of_Association|Articles of Association]] (AoA) of the Foundation.''
   
 
== Questions related to Operations Working Group 2022 plan ==
 
== Questions related to Operations Working Group 2022 plan ==
{| role="presentation" class="wikitable mw-collapsible"
+
{| role="presentation" class="wikitable mw-collapsible mw-collapsed"
 
! <b>Background</b>
 
! <b>Background</b>
 
|-
 
|-
Line 81: Line 104:
 
|-
 
|-
 
|}
 
|}
''Carried over from October mid-month chat.''
+
''Carried over from [[Board/Minutes/2021-10-15|October mid-month board chat]].''
  +
  +
== Microgrants ==
  +
{| role="presentation" class="wikitable mw-collapsible mw-collapsed"
  +
! Background
  +
|-
  +
|The trial round of Microgrants ''(financial help provided by the OSM Foundation to applicants for OSM-related projects)'' ends in October 2021 ''(1 year period since dispersing funds)''.
  +
  +
''' Final report by the [[Microgrants/Committee| Microgrants committee]]'''<br>
  +
  +
* [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/File:OSMF_Microgrants_report_2020-21.odt Final report] ''(file type: .odt, file size: 29 KB)'' and
  +
* [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/File:20210924_Microgrants_presentation.pdf Presentation] ''(.pdf, 53 KB, 8 pages)'' by Hanna Krüger ''(microgrants committee)'' during the [[Board/Minutes/2021-09|September board meeting]].
  +
  +
''''Projects' reports by grantees'''
  +
Almost all projects have sent their final reports and you can read them on the OSM wiki. The respective project proposal is linked towards the top of each page.
  +
* [[osm:Microgrants/Microgrants_2020/Proposal/A_Free_Video_Tutorial_for_Beginners_about_Mapping_Pacific_Islands_using_OSM_and_QGIS| A Free Video Tutorial for Beginners about Mapping Pacific Islands using OSM and QGIS]] ''(proposal)''
  +
* [[osm:Microgrants/Microgrants_2020/Proposal/HIV_facilities_mapping_in_the_Philippines_on_OpenStreetMap/Report| Report: HIV facilities mapping in the Philippines on OpenStreetMap]]
  +
* [[osm:Microgrants/Microgrants_2020/Proposal/Leaflets_to_promote_OSM|Leaflets to promote OSM]] ''(proposal)'' - see https://osmuk.org/leaflets/
  +
* [[osm:Microgrants/Microgrants_2020/Proposal/Map_Maintenance_with_StreetComplete/Report| Report: Map Maintenance with StreetComplete]]
  +
* [[osm:Microgrants/Microgrants_2020/Proposal/Mapping_Uganda%27s_New_Cities/Report| Report: Mapping Uganda's New Cities]]
  +
* [[osm:Microgrants/Microgrants_2020/Proposal/Mapping_Villages_and_Settlements_in_Kosovo/Report| Report: Mapping Villages and Settlements in Kosovo]]
  +
* [[osm:Microgrants/Microgrants_2020/Proposal/Road_Completion_project/Report| Report: Road Completion project]]
  +
* [[osm:Microgrants/Microgrants_2020/Proposal/OSM_Ireland_Buildings/Report| Report: OSM Ireland Buildings]]
  +
* [[osm:Microgrants/Microgrants_2020/Proposal/OpenStreetMap_Calendar/Report| Report: OpenStreetMap Calendar]]
  +
* [[osm:Microgrants/Microgrants_2020/Proposal/Tactile_maps_for_blind_or_visually_impaired_children/Report| Report: Tactile maps for blind or visually impaired children]]
  +
* [[osm:Microgrants/Microgrants_2020/Proposal/Teaching_and_learning_OSM_in_Albania_through_LibreTech_School| Teaching and learning OSM in Albania through LibreTech School]] ''(proposal)''
  +
* [[osm:Microgrants/Microgrants_2020/Proposal/Water_and_Sanitation_mapping_in_Nairobi's_informal_settlements/Report| Report: Water and Sanitation mapping in Nairobi's informal settlements]]
  +
  +
An [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2021-February/007708.html apology] was issued by board members Mikel Maron and Joost Schouppe regarding conflicts of interest in the awarding of microgrants in 2020, as both were closely associated with successful grantees.
  +
  +
'''Background'''<br>
  +
The trial run of the OSMF microgrants program was overseen by the [[Microgrants/Committee|Microgrants committee]], whose composition was decided by the board. Initially, the program was set to fund 10 projects with a budget of up to 5000 Euros per project and for a maximum of 50.000 Euros. The policy framework can be read [[Microgrants/Policy_Framework|here]]. All the project proposals (funded or not) are visible on the [[osm:Microgrants/Microgrants_2020|OSM wiki]] and some of the 12 selected proposals were presented [https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2020/07/01/osmf-microgrants-program-congratulations-to-selected-projects/ on the OSM blog]. You can read the [https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2020/02/17/call-for-microgrants-committee/ initial call here]. [https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2020/07/01/osmf-microgrants-program-congratulations-to-selected-projects/ Presentation of some of the proposals on the OSM blog]).
  +
  +
'''Timeline'''<br>
  +
2021
  +
* Oct 15 [[Board/Minutes/2021-10-15|October mid-month board chat]] ''(mid-month board chat, not open to observers)''
  +
* Sep 10 [[Board/Minutes/2021-09-10#Microgrants_report24|AOB - Microgrants report]] ''(mid-month board chat)'', 24 [[Board/Minutes/2021-09#Presentation_by_the_Microgrants_committee|Presentation by the Microgrants committee]]
  +
* Jul [[Board/Minutes/2021-07-16#Microgrants_-_what.27s_next.3F|Microgrants - what's next?]]
  +
2020
  +
* Feb [https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2020/02/17/call-for-microgrants-committee/ Call for microgrants committee members].
  +
* Mar [[Board/Minutes/2020-04#2020.2FRes16_Start_the_Microgrants_Committee| 5 selected committee members from 13 applications]]
  +
* Apr [https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2020/04/19/announcing-the-osm-foundations-call-for-microgrant-applications/ Call for microgrant applications], [[Board/Minutes/2020-04#Microgrants_update| Board update]]
  +
* Jun [[Board/Minutes/2020-06#2020.2FRes28_Select_Microgrant_observers| Selection of 2 observers out of 4 applicants]], [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Microgrants/Committee/Minutes/2020-06-04#Observers_Report_by_Craig_Observer report], [[Board/Minutes/2020-06#Microgrants_selection| Board update]]
  +
* Jul [https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2020/07/01/osmf-microgrants-program-congratulations-to-selected-projects/ Announcements of 12 selected microgrant proposals].
  +
* Aug [[Board/Minutes/2020-08-13#Microgrants_tracking_and_reporting_status|Microgrants tracking and reporting status]]
  +
* Sep [[Board/Minutes/2020-09#Conflicts_of_Interest_disclosure|Conflicts of Interest disclosure]]
  +
  +
Timeline with more details [[Microgrants/Timeline|here]].
  +
|-
  +
|}
  +
''Suggested during [[Board/Minutes/2021-10-15|October mid-month board chat]].''<br>
  +
'' '''Related action item:''' Jean-Marc and Amanda to draft a proposal for a second microgrants round, including parameters (amount of money, source of funds, and selected recommendations from the [https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/File:OSMF_Microgrants_report_2020-21.odt final report] (.odt, 29 KB) by the [[Microgrants/Committee|microgrants committee]]) to be voted during the October board meeting.''
  +
  +
== Analysis of options for OSMF relocation ==
  +
{| role="presentation" class="wikitable mw-collapsible mw-collapsed"
  +
! <b> Background: Investigation into moving OSMF out of the UK, and into the EU </b>
  +
|-
  +
|
  +
The OSMF board is considering relocating the OSMF to the EU and is [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2021-June/007860.html consulting the members for feedback, advice and whether they’ve missed anything].
  +
  +
Comments by members on the osmf-talk<sup>*</sup> mailing list: [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2021-June/thread.html#7860 thread 1], [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2021-July/thread.html#7923 thread 2].
  +
  +
<small><nowiki>*</nowiki> ''[https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/osmf-talk osmf-talk] is the mailing list for OpenStreetMap Foundation members ([https://join.osmfoundation.org/ Join the Foundation]). All past messages are available [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/ here].''</small>
  +
  +
* [https://lite.framacalc.org/9oc7-osmf-possible-eu-successors Collaborative spreadsheet by the community].
  +
* [https://files.osmfoundation.org/apps/onlyoffice/s/F3QNmG8JHz8iWp5 Spreadsheet with answers to the board's questions, sent directly to the board].
  +
  +
Please note that there were extensive discussions about Brexit and its effects by the [[Licensing_Working_Group|Licensing Working Group]] (LWG) ''(search the [[Working_Group_Minutes#Licensing_Working_Group|LWG minutes for "Brexit"]])'' and the issue was also previously discussed by OSMF members and the board.
  +
  +
<u>Recent board discussions about relocation</u>
  +
* 2021-10 [[Board/Minutes/2021-10-15| Any other business: Analysis of options for OSMF relocation]] ''(mid-month board chat, not open to observers)''
  +
* 2021-07 [[Board/Minutes/2021-07-16#Spreadsheet_for_collating_information_on_a_possible_move_out_of_the_UK|Spreadsheet for collating information on a possible move out of the UK]]
  +
* 2021-06 [[Board/Minutes/2021-06-11#Investigate_moving_OSMF_out_of_the_UK.2C_and_into_the_EU|Investigate moving OSMF out of the UK, and into the EU]] ''(mid-month board chat)''
  +
|-
  +
|}
  +
''Suggested during [[Board/Minutes/2021-10-15|October mid-month board chat]].''<br>
  +
'' '''Related action item:''' Jean-Marc to provide during the October board meeting a list of which countries have responded to us with information which is worth examining and what are our realistic options and to start looking at whether the new board will want to move in 2022 out of the UK.''
   
 
== Advisory Board - monthly update ==
 
== Advisory Board - monthly update ==

Revision as of 19:31, 19 October 2021

Page for preliminary agenda and minutes. Topics will get locked one week before the meeting, on 22 October 2021.

Date and time: Friday 29 October at 14:00 UTC - Countdown

Location: Video room https://osmvideo.cloud68.co/user/ror-nt7-6tu
using BigBlueButton.

Acronyms

Participants

Board members

Officers and board
Biographies

Not Present

Guests

Open to all OSMF members.

You are welcome to ask questions or to comment (via voice or on the chat) at the end of the meeting.

  • Please mute your microphone when you join, and to preserve bandwidth, refrain from turning on your webcam.
  • If you are in a low-bandwidth environment, you may benefit from using BigBlueButton's low-bandwidth settings. To assess them, click on the 3 dots on the top right of the black video-window.

Administrative

Previous minutes

Circular Resolutions

2021/Res36 Translation budget for LCCWG moderation subcommittee

The Local Chapters and Communities Working Group (LCCWG) moderation subcommittee is provided with a budget of up to €1000 for translation services.

Approved on 2021-10-06 with 3 votes in favour: Allan Mustard, Mikel Maron, Tobias Knerr.
1 against: Guillaume Rischard (Premature. We have no budget request yet, no quote, no figure, nothing that's been sent to the treasurer. Agree on principle otherwise.)
1 abstained: Amanda McCann (While I would like more details on what's involved, such as who will be paid, who will decide what gets paid, what services will be used, and what languages are to be used,etc etc. So I am unsure, and will defer to the rest of the board (ie abstain))
2 not voted: Eugene Alvin Villar, Jean-Marc Liotier.

Circular by Tobias Knerr.

Related to the discussion following the LCCWG presentation during the September 2021 public board meeting.

Action item updates

See Board/Action_Items.

Treasurer's report

Scheduling a general meeting for Spring 2022

Related action item from the October mid-month board chat: Tobias to have a motion ready to be voted by the board during the October board meeting. The motion will mention that the next board must write the text for a special resolution1 regarding membership requirements, to be voted by the membership at a General Meeting that will take place during next Spring (Northern hemisphere) / Autumn (Southern hemisphere).

1"Special resolution" has the meaning given in section 283 of the Companies Act 2006. A special resolution, when approved, changes the Articles of Association (AoA) of the Foundation.

Questions related to Operations Working Group 2022 plan

Carried over from October mid-month board chat.

Microgrants

Suggested during October mid-month board chat.
Related action item: Jean-Marc and Amanda to draft a proposal for a second microgrants round, including parameters (amount of money, source of funds, and selected recommendations from the final report (.odt, 29 KB) by the microgrants committee) to be voted during the October board meeting.

Analysis of options for OSMF relocation

Suggested during October mid-month board chat.
Related action item: Jean-Marc to provide during the October board meeting a list of which countries have responded to us with information which is worth examining and what are our realistic options and to start looking at whether the new board will want to move in 2022 out of the UK.

Advisory Board - monthly update

Monthly presentation - Uganda community

Presenter: Geoffrey Kateregga.

More topics to be added

Topics will get locked one week before the meeting, on 22 October 2021.

Any other business

Guest comments or questions

Next meeting

Open board meetings take place online once a month, usually on the last Friday of the month at 14:00 UTC.

See the Monthly Board meetings page to find out where board meetings are announced and for a subscription link to have future board meetings automatically added to your calendar.

Acronyms