Board/Minutes/2021-10

From OpenStreetMap Foundation
< Board‎ | Minutes
Revision as of 19:48, 29 October 2021 by Dorothea (talk | contribs) (collapsed background sections)

Draft agenda and page for minutes. Topics will get locked one week before the meeting, on 22 October 2021.

Date and time: Friday 29 October at 14:00 UTC - Countdown

Location: Video room https://osmvideo.cloud68.co/user/ror-nt7-6tu
using BigBlueButton.

Acronyms

Participants

Board members

  • Allan Mustard (Chairing)
  • Eugene Alvin Villar
  • Guillaume Rischard
  • Jean-Marc Liotier
  • Mikel Maron
  • Amanda McCann
  • Tobias Knerr

Officers and board
Biographies

Not Present

Guests

Open to all OSMF members.

You are welcome to ask questions or to comment (via voice or on the chat) at the end of the meeting.

  • Please mute your microphone when you join, and to preserve bandwidth, refrain from turning on your webcam.
  • If you are in a low-bandwidth environment, you may benefit from using BigBlueButton's low-bandwidth settings. To assess them, click on the 3 dots on the top right of the black video-window.

Administrative

Previous minutes

Circular Resolutions

2021/Res36 Translation budget for LCCWG moderation subcommittee

The Local Chapters and Communities Working Group (LCCWG) moderation subcommittee is provided with a budget of up to €1000 for translation services.

Approved on 2021-10-06 with 3 votes in favour: Allan Mustard, Mikel Maron, Tobias Knerr.
1 against: Guillaume Rischard (Premature. We have no budget request yet, no quote, no figure, nothing that's been sent to the treasurer. Agree on principle otherwise.)
1 abstained: Amanda McCann (While I would like more details on what's involved, such as who will be paid, who will decide what gets paid, what services will be used, and what languages are to be used,etc etc. So I am unsure, and will defer to the rest of the board (ie abstain))
2 not voted: Eugene Alvin Villar, Jean-Marc Liotier.

Circular by Tobias Knerr.

Related to the discussion following the LCCWG presentation during the September 2021 public board meeting.

2021/Res37 Sign non-disclosure agreement with Takeover Protection Special Committee

Sign the standard OSMF non-disclosure agreement with the current two members of the Takeover Protection Special Committee (2021/Res23) and share all current legal advice the Board has received on this topic with that Special Committee.

Approved on 2021-10-24 with 4 votes in favour: Mikel Maron, Tobias Knerr, Allan Mustard, Amanda McCann.
3 not voted: Guillaume Rischard, Jean-Marc Liotier, Eugene Alvin Villar.

Circular by Amanda McCann.

2021/Res38 Data Working Group to implement proposed updates to Ban Policy

By the board's request, the Data Working Group (DWG) has proposed changes to the Ban Policy, especially to reflect the practice of imposing blocks until a particular action has been taken. The board asks DWG to edit the policy document accordingly.

Approved on 2021-10-28 with 5 votes in favour: Tobias Knerr, Jean-Marc Liotier, Eugene Alvin Villar, Mikel Maron, Allan Mustard.
1 abstained: Amanda McCann (I have no strong opinions on this. The actual changes will be visible on the Ban Policy and have been discussed internally on the board/DWG.)
1 not voted: Guillaume Rischard.

Circular by Tobias Knerr.

Action item updates

See Board/Action_Items.

Treasurer's report

Scheduling a general meeting for Spring (northern hemisphere) / Autumn (southern hemisphere) 2022

Related action item from the October mid-month board chat: Tobias to have a motion ready to be voted by the board during the October board meeting. The motion will mention that the next board must write the text for a special resolution1 regarding membership requirements, to be voted by the membership at a General Meeting that will take place during next Spring (Northern hemisphere) / Autumn (Southern hemisphere).

1"Special resolution" has the meaning given in section 283 of the Companies Act 2006. A special resolution, when approved, changes the Articles of Association (AoA) of the Foundation.

Draft notes. Will be enriched.

Concern that the resolution might not be ready by April 2022.

Suggestions:

  • We can set an informal deadline.
  • Keep the date. The next board (after the December 2021 Annual General Meeting) can postpone the General Meeting if needed.

Vote to have a General Meeting on 30 April 2022 with a resolution related to membership requirements

Unanimously approved on 2021-10-29 with 7 votes in favour: Allan Mustard, Amanda McCann, Eugene Alvin Villar, Guillaume Rischard, Jean-Marc Liotier, Mikel Maron, Tobias Knerr.

Questions related to Operations Working Group 2022 plan

Draft notes. Will be enriched.

Action items

  • Guillaume to respond to the Operations Working Group.
  • Mikel to reach out to major donors and find out their preferred cycles for requesting donations.

Microgrants - next round

Can we afford a second microgrants round?

Treasurer:

  • Wouldn't be a priority. We are low in euros.
  • Preference to focus on budget and fundraising right now.

Suggestion

  • Have a budgeting process and projections and include microgrants in it.

Action item

  • Ask the Microgrants committee to work on formulating a refined proposal for the next microgrants round based on community feedback.

Analysis of options for OSMF relocation

Related action item: Jean-Marc to provide during the October board meeting a list of which countries have responded to us with information which is worth examining and what are our realistic options and to start looking at whether the new board will want to move in 2022 out of the UK.

State of the Map safety policy wording

Draft notes. Will be enriched.

Vote on a State of the Map safety policy

Vote to approve the following State of the Map safety policy.

Approved on 2021-10-29 with 5 votes in favour: Allan Mustard, Guillaume Rischard, Jean-Marc Liotier, Mikel Maron, Tobias Knerr.
Abstained: Amanda McCann, Eugene Alvin Villar.

The initial wording is on https://hackmd.io/LeDghe__SouDvQ-ofeOx3A#Mikel%E2%80%99s-proposal and was updated in two places during the meeting. Changes:

  • within their ability. Changed to: "reasonably possible"
  • Details of the trademark application update is the mandate of the Licensing Working Group. Changed to: "Details of the trademark are the mandate of the Licensing Working Group".

The State of the Map organising committee and Licensing Working Group to implement the details.

Future of the FOSS Policy Special Committee

Advisory Board - monthly update

Monthly presentation - Uganda community

Presenter: Geoffrey Kateregga.

Any other business

Engineering Working Group's request for budget

The proposed budget was submitted to the board after the agenda for this meeting got locked. It was suggested by board members that the topic could be raised for discussion during the "any other business" section of the board meeting.

Guest comments or questions

Next meeting

Open board meetings take place online once a month, usually on the last Friday of the month at 14:00 UTC.

See the Monthly Board meetings page to find out where board meetings are announced and for a subscription link to have future board meetings automatically added to your calendar.

Acronyms