Board/Minutes/2021-11

From OpenStreetMap Foundation
< Board‎ | Minutes
Revision as of 17:10, 15 December 2021 by Dorothea (talk | contribs) (Removed draft status of minutes, approved on 2021-12-15)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Participants

Board members

  • Allan Mustard (Chairing)
  • Amanda McCann
  • Guillaume Rischard
  • Eugene Alvin Villar
  • Jean-Marc Liotier
  • Mikel Maron
  • Tobias Knerr

Officers and board
Biographies

Minutes by Dorothea Kazazi.

Not Present

Guests

Open to all OSMF members.

You are welcome to ask questions or to comment (via voice or on the chat) at the end of the meeting.

  • Please mute your microphone when you join, and to preserve bandwidth, refrain from turning on your webcam.
  • If you are in a low-bandwidth environment, you may benefit from using BigBlueButton's low-bandwidth settings. To assess them, click on the 3 dots on the top right of the black video-window.

Administrative

Previous minutes

Circular Resolutions

2021/Res39 Approve active contributor membership application 2021101010000216

The Board currently decides on active contributor membership applications based on non-mapping contributions on a case-by-case basis.

Did not pass on 2021-11-02 with
4 not voted: Allan Mustard, Guillaume Rischard, Jean-Marc Liotier, Mikel Maron.
3 votes against: Tobias Knerr, Eugene Alvin Villar (No mapping activity for almost a year and the list of non-mapping contributions are not described clearly. Given that this is a renewal application, I would have opted to give the applicant a chance but the activity, mapping or non-mapping, is too little.), Amanda McCann (No OSM edits in the last ~11 months. No details on other OSM contributions, except a confusing, and unclear reference to “OSMF meetings” which doesn't make sense. They may wish to reapply is they provide more details, or correct their application.)

Application initially processed by the Membership Working Group.

2021/Res40 Approve active contributor membership application 2021101210000123

The Board currently decides on active contributor membership applications based on non-mapping contributions on a case-by-case basis.

Did not pass on 2021-11-02 with
3 not voted: Allan Mustard, Guillaume Rischard, Jean-Marc Liotier
2 votes in favour: Mikel Maron, Eugene Alvin Villar (Some sporadic mapping activity over the past year, and given that this is a renewal application and the non-mapping activities are clear enough for me, I will accept this membership application.)
1 vote against: Amanda McCann (Not enough details on their current OSM contributions. The OSM using account shows very few mapping edits lately. No details & links on their other OSM contributions were provided. I'm voting no this application, but I think they should reapply, but this time provinding links & details on their other contributions.)
1 abstained: Tobias Knerr (Some non-mapping activity, but it is not described with sufficient detail to make a clear call.)

Application initially processed by the Membership Working Group.

2021/Res41 Define the remaining responsibilities of the FOSS Policy Special Committee

The board would like the FOSS Policy Special Committee to complete the following tasks:
  • Perform another inventory of the OSMF's software landscape in 2022 and compare the outcome with the previous inventory
  • Document lessons learned and recommendations and for future inventory rounds
  • Publish, and present to the board, the results of the inventory and the recommendations

Additionally, the committee may choose to offer assistance with any opportunities for migrating to open solutions that present themselves before the completion of the 2022 inventory.

It is expected that the committee will wind down afterwards. For future inventory rounds, a special committee or some other body may be convened by the board again (taking into consideration any lessons learned by the current committee).

Accepted on 2021-11-15 with 6 votes in favour:Jean-Marc Liotier, Eugene Alvin Villar, Mikel Maron, Amanda McCann, Allan Mustard, Tobias Knerr.
1 not voted: Guillaume Rischard

Circular by Tobias Knerr.

2021/Res42 Approve active contributor membership application 2021110910000057

The Board currently decides on active contributor membership applications based on non-mapping contributions on a case-by-case basis.

Accepted on 2021-11-21 with 6 votes in favour: Eugene Alvin Villar, Guillaume Rischard, Tobias Knerr, Mikel Maron, Allan Mustard, Amanda McCann.
1 not voted: Jean-Marc Liotier.

Application initially processed by the Membership Working Group.

2021/Res43 Approve active contributor membership application 2021111010000161

The Board currently decides on active contributor membership applications based on non-mapping contributions on a case-by-case basis.

Accepted on 2021-11-21 with 5 votes in favour: Eugene Alvin Villar, Guillaume Rischard, Tobias Knerr, Mikel Maron, Allan Mustard.
1 abstained: Amanda McCann (Not as much information provided as I would like. I defer to the rest of the board).
1 not voted: Jean-Marc Liotier.

Application initially processed by the Membership Working Group.

2021/Res44 Approve active contributor membership application 2021111510000152

The Board currently decides on active contributor membership applications based on non-mapping contributions on a case-by-case basis.

Not accepted on 2021-11-26 with 4 votes against:
Amanda McCann (Does not appear to have made sustained contributions to OSM. They could pay the 15gbp fee, or do constant contributions.)
Mikel Maron (Mapper for just a few months — work towards 42 mapping days or reapply after a year with more experiences organizing osm.)
Eugene Alvin Villar (Very new mapper with just not enough mapping contributions. The non-mapping activities provided does not seem sufficient enough for me. I would love for the applicant to try again in several months (or just map for 31 more days to get automatic membership!) for us to fairly evaluate their commitment to OSM.)
Allan Mustard (Concur with the others. They need to map a bit more.)
3 not voted: Guillaume Rischard, Jean-Marc Liotier, Tobias Knerr.

Application initially processed by the Membership Working Group.

Action item updates

See Board/Action_Items.

Treasurer's report

  • Minor expenses for stickers.
  • Google: unable to login to update our bank account number (for the donation we received).
  • Some corporate memberships overdue.

On Fundraising and Budget committee
Those committees will have no board members after the Annual General Meeting (AGM). Have any plans been made? (Question by Tobias Knerr, board)

  • No formal plans yet.
  • Budget committee: Separate meetings to look on accounts together.

Action item: Guillaume and Mikel to come up with an outline of a plan on how the situation will be handled.

Advisory Board - monthly update

  • Draft minutes of the November meeting with the Advisory Board.
  • 2021-11-10 meeting of Allan Mustard (board) with Tom Lee (Mapbox) about attribution by Mapbox. It went well and they are apprised of the guidelines and the spirit of the guidelines in order to maintain good relations with the community. No deadlines discussed.

Presentation by the LCCWG Moderation Subcommittee

Some points have been reordered.

On proposed moderation team

5 people will probably be on the moderation team.

  • Distribution:
    • Ghana, Serbia, US, UK.
    • 3 women, 2 men.
    • Many languages represented.
  • Everyone has moderation experience.
  • Everyone is interested in creating internal guidelines.
  • There has already been a meeting of the moderation subcommittee with the proposed team, where it was mentioned that during their moderation terms they can propose changes to the text.

The moderation subcommittee will have a meeting on Wednesday.

Will the moderation team be in place for this board election?

"Usually the last week before the election is the most heated one on the mailing lists". Question by Guillaume Rischard (board).

Maggie Cawley:
> It might be just in time.

On diversity of moderation team

It seems like you manages to get a very diverse group for the moderation team, which is a bit surprising compared to the community as a whole. Did you achieve that by filtering out people who would have made the group less diverse or was it a result of initial expression of interest? (Question by Tobias Knerr, board)

Maggie Cawley:
> It's the later.
> We did a lot of outreach through the Local Chapters and kept the call open for longer.
> It was surprising to see names that we were not familiar with.

On changing the etiquette guidelines in respect to editshaming and deadnaming

"Editshaming was not defined and we should be able to say if someone does not have "skin in the game". On deadnaming, Amanda has provided some feedback to the LCCWG moderation subcommittee. Has there been any work on the wording after Amanda's feedback?'

Maggie Cawley:
> I think we added some links to definitions - will double-check.

On the suggestion for the board to make changes to the proposed etiquette guidelines (mainly regarding editshaming and deadnaming)

Maggie Cawley:
> Hesitant. We made a lot of changes and did our best on the text.
> Flexibility: The moderation team should feel like the text is not set in stone and it is an evolving process. The team could propose changes.
> Depending on the changes, it would be not honoring the process.
> The current text was suggested after the plain English translation and everyone is done making changes.

Comments by board members

  • Preference to approve the text after edits by the subcommittee, as otherwise it expresses some dissatisfaction with the work of the subcommittee.
  • "Editshaming" is a late addition to the document.
  • The recent suggestion regarding deadnaming has better wording.
  • Moderation is a process and the question of amendments of the text will come up in the future. We should have a sound basis but it will not be perfect.

On list of examples of behaviours that won't be acceptable

Suggestion:

  • No need to have a list of unacceptable behaviours (which includes editshaming).
    • You need examples to be sure that people understand the text.
    • We have to trust the moderators with the ability to interpret the specific situations.

Maggie Cawley:
> If you don't give examples, it's difficult for the moderation team to work.

On expanding the application of etiquette guidelines

Comment by Maggie Cawley that the original etiquette guidelines applied everywhere and that these guidelines, which will apply to the two mailing lists (talk and osmf-talk), can be applied more broadly if the board decided so.

Outcome

Decision: The moderation subcommittee to look at the wording of editshaming and deadnaming, taking into account Amanda's concerns, and come-up with a final proposal that the board can vote on.

Maggie Cawley:
> Will look at it during the moderation subcommittee meeting on Wednesday.

Thanks expressed by the board to the moderation subcommittee.

Monthly presentation - OSMCha

OSMCha presentation (.pdf, file size: 1.91 MB) by Wille Marcel.

  • Would it make sense to use OSMCha API to improve www.osm.org? (Question by Tobias Knerr, board)

Wille Marcel:
> Yes, it's something I'd like to help with.

Suggestion

  • Work with the Engineering Working Group (EWG), which has a budget to fund projects like that, to add functionality on www.osm.org

Any other business

None.

Guest comments or questions

No comments or questions.

Next meeting

Annual General Meeting reminder

The next meeting will be the 15th Annual General Meeting , on December 11th 2021, at 1600 UTC. It will be held online.

To join you can:

  1. use your browser to connect to this OFTC webchat room - pick a nickname (no spaces) and click 'Login'. It can take a few seconds to log in. You should see some mess with a '***' prefix. If it doesn't work, please check your browser add-ons/settings or try with a different browser.
  2. use a dedicated IRC client software (comparison at Wikipedia). You will need to input irc.oftc.net as the IRC server, and #osmf-gm as the channel. IRC communicates over a special port number which may be blocked by your office firewall. If you want to establish a connection with SSL, use Port 6697, or
  3. use Element to join this Element room - you need an account to join.

When you join, please send your full name to Dorothea by typing /msg dorothea your_name – this is necessary to create the list of OSMF members who attended the meeting.

General information

Open board meetings take place online once a month, usually on the last Friday of the month at 14:00 UTC. The recurring meeting day and time might change after the board election on 2021-12-11.

See the Monthly Board meetings page to find out where board meetings are announced and for a subscription link to have future board meetings automatically added to your calendar.

Acronyms