Board/Minutes/2022-02-S2S/Local Chapter minimum criteria
Notes by participants. Might be enriched.
Local Chapter minimum criteria - (including formalisation/clarification on commercial activities)
This session took place in parallel with "Parallel session: Attribution - Agree on an attribution enforcement strategy". A summary was provided to the other group.
- Eugene Alvin Villar
- Jean-Marc Liotier
- Roland Olbricht
- Mikel Maron
Post-meeting addition of background, links and formatting by Dorothea Kazazi.
|The current minimum criteria for becoming a Local Chapter are outlined here:
"Currently there are no set in stone criteria outside of the following: you will have to be a non-profit incorporated entity or part of one, the way you are incorporated should allow easy and mass membership and democratic participation in the decisions processes. Your group should be dedicated to supporting the aims of the OpenStreetMap Foundation and the OpenStreetMap project, however you can be part of a larger organisation as long as that does not have conflicting goals."
OSMF offers to cover the cost and host domain names for local groups.
- Jean-Marc: From experiences with local chapters in Mali, Senegal and Cameroon vs. MapUganda, the criterion is for competitors to be capable of cooperating within the local chapter.
- Proportion of income from donations/grants vs. commercial services
- Proportion of income redistributed to members (cooperative or shareholder-led corporation)
- Eugene: Minimum geographical scope (re Windsor-Essex Hackerspace application to represent a small portion of Ontario, Canada).
- Jean-Marc: favors no territorial exclusivity and thematic chapters; no opinion on size
- Roland: Prefers only having geographic-based chapters for *Local* chapters; re size no particular preference
Current rule mandates consultation before granting an overlapping territorial chaptership, but no veto for the existing Local Chapter.
Local legal recognition and not-for-profit status: still important, for transparency of governance.
User groups no decision yet.
- Jean-Marc Liotier to write up a minimum criteria regarding commercial activities of the applicant organisation: Hackpad, before the March 24 board meeting. Will be supported by Eugene Villar.