CWG meeting 2011-12-19
- Henk Hoff
- Richard Fairhurst
- Jonathan Bennett
- Richard Weait
- Harry Wood
- Mikel Maron
- Grant Slater
- CWG rep on MT required
- Server fund
- New post notification to be improved
- CWG 2012 budget statement
- blog at completion of fund-raiser. Needs a volunteer.
- Firefishy to photo new server on arrival.
- Henk to ping potential translators for NL, ES, IT.
- Richard F to proceed with tweet.
- All to draft CWG 2012 plan w.r.t. Board-assigned goals.
note: IRC log partially redacted due to publication embargo
(04:00:01 PM) toffehoff [~email@example.com] entered the room. (04:00:33 PM) rweait1: hello toffehoff (04:00:39 PM) toffehoff: Hello Richard (04:00:44 PM) rweait1: just wainting on harry-wood1, I think. (04:00:48 PM) rweait1: waiting. (04:00:53 PM) toffehoff: okidokie (04:01:04 PM) rweait1: http://www.osmfoundation.org/wiki/CWG_meeting_2011-12-12 to review. (04:01:09 PM) mkl [~firstname.lastname@example.org] entered the room. (04:01:36 PM) toffehoff: Already two items from the Management Team for us today: (04:02:01 PM) toffehoff: - Could CWG help with outreach to community for undecided users (04:02:24 PM) toffehoff: - [redacted] (04:03:10 PM) rweait1: toffehoff: context? (04:04:06 PM) rweait1: Shall we start without harry-wood1 then? (04:04:21 PM) rweait1: Anybody care to propose / second the previous minutes? (04:04:23 PM) toffehoff: On the question of "how can CWG help other WG's in spreading the word" (04:04:23 PM) rweait1: http://www.osmfoundation.org/wiki/CWG_meeting_2011-12-12 (04:04:52 PM) toffehoff: Since it's only the chat-log.... (04:05:10 PM) rweait1: Hard to disagree with it then. (04:05:13 PM) rweait1: :-) (04:05:15 PM) toffehoff: :-) (04:05:30 PM) toffehoff: Do we want an action summary at the beginning? (04:06:01 PM) rweait1: Okay topics for today: (04:06:10 PM) rweait1: 1) CWG rep on MT required. (04:06:20 PM) rweait1: 2) update on fundraiser. (04:06:29 PM) rweait1: 3) update on translations. (04:06:39 PM) rweait1: 4) whaddaya got? (04:07:02 PM) rweait1: 5) outreach to non-respondents (04:07:19 PM) rweait1: 6) [redacted] (04:07:23 PM) rweait1: anything else? (04:07:38 PM) toffehoff: I haven't had much time to do much on CWG stuff this week. (04:07:44 PM) rweait1: Anybody have a report on previous tasks? (04:08:16 PM) toffehoff: - Finding translators: same as last week. (04:08:16 PM) rweait1: Any new press contacts? (04:08:33 PM) toffehoff: Not from me. (04:08:43 PM) rweait1: hey, mkl, did you want to raise anything for CWG today? (04:09:20 PM) rweait1: I have still failed to get my two "new" press contacts into the gdoc. (04:09:31 PM) toffehoff: Do we want to do a holiday greeting? (04:10:14 PM) mkl: i'm just observing (04:10:33 PM) rweait1: Holiday greeting? Can we be topical and inclusive? (04:10:33 PM) toffehoff: Looks like it's up to you and me, Richard? (04:10:43 PM) Firefishy [~email@example.com] entered the room. (04:10:55 PM) mkl: the only thing, for all working groups, the management team needs a 2012 plan (04:11:07 PM) rweait1: JonathanB and RichardF are here, just idling at the moment, I think (04:11:23 PM) JonathanB: Yes, sorry. (04:11:41 PM) rweait1: okay 7) 2012 plan (04:11:51 PM) RichardF: definitely here and will say things when I have anything useful to say (first time for everything) (04:12:02 PM) toffehoff: Let's start with 1 (04:12:04 PM) toffehoff: ? (04:12:06 PM) rweait1: Who will volunteer to rep CWG on MT this week (WEdnesady I think) (04:12:17 PM) toffehoff: Next MT will be Jan 4th. (04:12:25 PM) rweait1: ah, a reprieve. (04:12:35 PM) rweait1: same question though. (04:12:40 PM) rweait1: "Not it." (04:12:40 PM) toffehoff: And it's now scheduled for once a month (04:13:04 PM) rweait1: I say we vote, and note that harry-wood is not in the room. (04:13:15 PM) rweait1: I nominate harry-wood (04:13:34 PM) rweait1: Right. (04:13:36 PM) rweait1: :-( (04:13:38 PM) toffehoff: who was excusing himself.... (04:13:54 PM) rweait1: on to 2) then? (04:14:00 PM) toffehoff: please do. (04:14:04 PM) rweait1: I see from http://donate.osm.org/server2011/ (04:14:16 PM) rweait1: that we are at 89%-ish (04:14:31 PM) toffehoff: 1 week to go. (04:14:48 PM) rweait1: Nice. Keep hitting our socials to spread the word. (04:15:31 PM) rweait1: Anybody have any actions we need to take on the fund raiser? (04:15:55 PM) toffehoff: What are we doing when we hit 100% (04:16:15 PM) toffehoff: Blog and that sort of things? (04:16:47 PM) rweait1: A thank you post on the blog? I'd think so. (04:16:58 PM) RichardF: yep. tell people about the server which we've already ordered, but don't phrase it that way. (04:17:06 PM) rweait1: Maybe leave it up and watch it go to 110% or so? (04:17:07 PM) JonathanB: Fairly standard spread of blogs and social networks. (04:17:09 PM) RichardF: "Thanks to your donations, we've just been able to order..." etc. etc. (04:17:39 PM) rweait1: Voluteer for that? Needs to keep an eye on the total and post a thank you... (04:17:49 PM) toffehoff: … and ask Firefishy to take a picture of it when it arrives (04:17:56 PM) rweait1: +1 ! (04:18:04 PM) JonathanB: Server porn... (04:18:07 PM) ***Firefishy can do. (04:18:08 PM) toffehoff: :-) (04:18:19 PM) rweait1: 3) translations. (04:18:19 PM) JonathanB: Unboxing video? (04:18:22 PM) toffehoff: Thanks Firefishy (04:18:51 PM) rweait1: four translators in place now, German, French, Russian and Japanese. (04:18:58 PM) rweait1: Thank you to all of them! (04:19:03 PM) toffehoff: +1 (04:19:24 PM) toffehoff: Haven't done much last week :-( (04:19:27 PM) rweait1: So far we have one post in all four translations. The new post had two of four earlier today. (04:19:51 PM) rweait1: What should we set as our goal for languages for now? (04:19:58 PM) toffehoff: How can we keep the translators informed of new posts? (04:20:03 PM) rweait1: Do we take every translation offered? (04:20:17 PM) rweait1: So far, I'm emailing them when I add a new post. (04:20:25 PM) rweait1: harry-wood is working on something better. (04:20:30 PM) toffehoff: ok (04:20:43 PM) toffehoff: Will ping Ivan about spanish translations. (04:20:46 PM) JonathanB: Asking them to keep an eye on the RSS feed shouldn't be too onerous, surely? (04:21:05 PM) rweait1: It would be awesome to get say the top 5-6 OSM languages up there. (04:21:23 PM) rweait1: So ES, IT, NL would be great. (04:21:23 PM) toffehoff: Will check with Simone about the Italian versions. (04:22:06 PM) toffehoff: NL: do we know anyone from nl? :-) (04:22:09 PM) rweait1: Thank you toffehoff. (04:22:26 PM) rweait1: It would have to be somebody from NL who is busy. (04:22:29 PM) rweait1: :-) (04:22:42 PM) toffehoff: OK: 4? (04:22:54 PM) rweait1: Okay, new topics. 2012 plan, outreach and [redacted] [redacted. Held substantial discussion of topic, then realized that we weren't supposed to scoop the announcement of somebody else.] (04:28:23 PM) rweait1: So no action yet? (04:28:38 PM) toffehoff: Keep it on the radar. (04:29:05 PM) rweait1: Next? (04:29:14 PM) rweait1: outreach to non-respondents. (04:29:19 PM) toffehoff: Ah... (04:29:23 PM) rweait1: toffehoff, is this from Mike as well? (04:29:28 PM) toffehoff: yes (04:29:52 PM) rweait1: anything specific? (04:30:07 PM) RichardF: it was something I suggested at the most recent MT. (04:30:07 PM) toffehoff: Trying to reach as much people as possible. (04:30:18 PM) toffehoff: Not everyone is reading mailing list or our blog. (04:30:32 PM) toffehoff: Sorry RichardF (04:31:03 PM) RichardF: the idea is to have a Twitter post (or similar) saying: "If you've ever edited OpenStreetMap, we urgently need you to sign up to our terms. Go here: .... Please RT." (04:31:03 PM) toffehoff: Didn't really remembered who brought it up .... (04:31:05 PM) RichardF: or somesuch. (04:31:45 PM) RichardF: the only thing I'm not sure about is whether we have a site 'journey' that goes "enter password/ID -> get taken straight to 'click agree please' screen -> click 'agree' -> thank you". (04:31:53 PM) RichardF: so it might need some site work. (04:32:02 PM) RichardF: after all, we want to make it as immediate as possible. (04:32:28 PM) rweait1: pervisou messages have said go to osm.org/user/terms (04:32:39 PM) rweait1: and that seems to be working fsvo working. (04:33:02 PM) rweait1: Any suggestions that we should NOT do this? (04:33:29 PM) toffehoff: not from me. (04:33:40 PM) rweait1: Volunteer to send the first tweet? (04:33:59 PM) toffehoff: @openstreetmap (04:34:01 PM) JonathanB: From @openstreetmap, or personal account? (04:34:01 PM) RichardF: I'll send it, but I think we need to check the journey first. (04:34:17 PM) toffehoff: osm.org/user/terms works. (04:34:25 PM) RichardF: does osm.org/user/terms take you to a page explaining what's happening and why we need you to do it? (04:34:29 PM) toffehoff: brings you to the login-screen (04:34:59 PM) rweait1: then login to terms page. with accept decline at bottom (04:35:04 PM) RichardF: ah, ok. (04:35:20 PM) RichardF: ideally we would have something in plain English there. (04:35:27 PM) RichardF: (for this exercise, that is) (04:35:30 PM) toffehoff: It has the link "Why are we doing this" on top. (04:35:46 PM) rweait1: Anybody have an account that has not agreed yet, so they can check this? :-) (04:35:48 PM) toffehoff: Which is translated into several languages. (04:35:58 PM) RichardF: yeah, we need to present, in one or two sentences, "CLICK AGREE OR THE KITTEN GETS IT, sorry, OR YOUR DATA WILL BE DELETED" (04:36:07 PM) rweait1: okay. (04:36:14 PM) JonathanB: rweait1: I do, actually (04:36:15 PM) RichardF: shall I talk to Tom about this? (04:36:21 PM) rweait1: The terms page was kept short and terms only on purpose. (04:36:23 PM) RichardF: burn the heretic! (04:36:28 PM) rweait1: not to confuse what was being agreed. (04:36:32 PM) RichardF: rweait1: yes, this is a different exercise. (04:36:35 PM) JonathanB: Never made any edits! (04:36:39 PM) rweait1: There are links to informal translation s of the terms (04:36:56 PM) rweait1: Perhaps the tweet needs two links. (04:37:05 PM) rweait1: terms, and reason. (04:37:05 PM) RichardF: that's not the issue. we don't need to explain what the terms are, we need to explain _why_ it is important that you, the undecided user, signs up to them. (04:37:06 PM) RichardF: people won't click two links. (04:37:23 PM) RichardF: can I just take this forward with Tom and stop having to explain things to you lot please? :) (04:37:26 PM) JonathanB: Can we avoid "deleted"? (04:37:43 PM) JonathanB: Maybe say "won't be able to use your contributions in future versions of OPenStreetmap"? (04:37:53 PM) JonathanB: (with proper capitalisation, obviously) (04:38:01 PM) rweait1: +1 RichardF to proceed. (04:38:05 PM) RichardF: why use one word when 12 will do ;) (04:38:23 PM) toffehoff: Go with it RichardF! (04:38:27 PM) RichardF: yay, thank you :) (04:38:45 PM) rweait1: 2012 plan and MT represnetative remain. (04:38:55 PM) rweait1: 2012 plan ... (04:39:23 PM) RichardF: mkl: you raised this, can you expand? (04:39:30 PM) rweait1: What does MT need from us? (04:39:51 PM) rweait1: We've previously discussed 2012 budget, but not finalized it. (04:39:56 PM) rweait1: Is this different? (04:40:24 PM) toffehoff: I don't think that's different. (04:41:05 PM) toffehoff: We haven't finalized our plan yet. (04:41:37 PM) rweait1: Are we happy to say "We have no expectation to exceed 1k€ in 2012" ? (04:42:02 PM) toffehoff: Ah, I don't think is only a budget issue. (04:43:10 PM) RichardF: if it's different from the budget, does anyone have a link to the minutes where this was requested? (04:43:11 PM) toffehoff: What are the things we want to achieve next year (in line with the goals/actions set by the board) (04:44:23 PM) rweait1: We have a choice? (04:44:34 PM) fake_mackerski left the room (quit: Quit: fake_mackerski). (04:44:36 PM) rweait1: I mean, the goals were set, right? (04:45:02 PM) toffehoff: Let me rephrase: what are we going to do to make them happen? (04:46:27 PM) rweait1: Okay. So this can't be done top of the head in IRC. (04:46:57 PM) rweait1: Task for this week then? Plan exactly how OSM will get on the front page of a major newspaper in 2012 (04:47:00 PM) JonathanB: "More of what we're already doing" (04:47:36 PM) rweait1: we already have toffehoff's presentaiton to start from (04:47:58 PM) fake_mackerski [~firstname.lastname@example.org] entered the room. (04:48:04 PM) toffehoff: Will try to work on it a bit more this week. (04:48:25 PM) rweait1: Okay, we still need a volunteer to rep CWG on MT. (04:48:36 PM) rweait1: And we need to set next CWG meeting. (04:48:43 PM) rweait1: I suggest that 26 Dec will not work (04:48:56 PM) toffehoff: Jan 2nd will? (04:49:01 PM) rweait1: Is 02 Jan okay with everybody? (04:49:09 PM) rweait1: I'm okay for 02 Jan. (04:49:20 PM) toffehoff: I think I can do as well. (04:49:49 PM) rweait1: Let's presume harry can make it. I'll email him (04:50:03 PM) toffehoff: I will be at a place where they've promised to have internet access….. (04:50:06 PM) rweait1: JonathanB, RichardF? (04:50:21 PM) JonathanB: 80% (04:50:24 PM) RichardF: I can't necessarily promise I'll be here but I'll try :) (04:50:30 PM) rweait1: Good enough for me. (04:50:40 PM) rweait1: timely regrets appreciated. (04:50:49 PM) ***RichardF nods. (04:50:56 PM) rweait1: Somebody has to go to MT on Jan 04(?) (04:51:26 PM) toffehoff: let's have that on the agenda first thing Jan 2nd. (04:51:56 PM) rweait1: last one into the chat on 02 jan has to attend MT on 04 unles a volunteer lets them off the hook. (04:51:57 PM) toffehoff: No meeting (even on alternative day) next week? (04:52:17 PM) toffehoff: rweait1: sounds good to me :-) (04:52:45 PM) rweait1: Is MT meetin on an alternative day next week? :-) (04:53:07 PM) toffehoff: No, the first one is Jan 4th. (04:53:19 PM) toffehoff: It's now set for every 1st wednesday of the month. (04:53:29 PM) rweait1: Cool. (04:53:45 PM) rweait1: anything else for CWG before we ring-off early? (04:53:53 PM) toffehoff: With e-mail discussion between them if needed. (04:53:59 PM) rweait1: of course. (04:54:28 PM) rweait1: I'm going to pull the [redacted] stuff out of the minutes. <--- ***** (04:54:51 PM) rweait1: log / minutes (04:54:57 PM) rweait1: objections? (04:55:17 PM) rweait1: Any last minute items? (04:55:19 PM) toffehoff: Maybe just note that [redacted] (04:55:31 PM) rweait1: Not our business at CWG. (04:56:15 PM) rweait1: Nothing else? (04:56:26 PM) rweait1: Best of the Season to all then!