The board can create Special Committees to take on time delimited scoped tasks. Unlike Working Groups, which have an ongoing scope and remit, they are not standing institutions, but deal with a delimited set of tasks. The work of a Special Committees is initiated by a board member, but other members of the Foundation and community may be invited to participate, and the chair may be anyone sitting on the Special Committee.
- Gather past research, determine indicators of current diversity, and identify root causes that contribute to any identified shortfalls.
- Recommending actions for the Foundation, Working Groups or any other OSM actors to resolve these issues and improve diversity and inclusion.
- Implement the FOSS Policy
- Document where closed or hosted software is used by the foundation, and why
- Identify practical open alternatives
- Running the call for microgrants projects.
- Making a selection of about ten projects.
- Following up with the selected projects.