Communication Working Group
We are involved in communicating the work of the Foundation and related news, through official channels. We are also welcoming people that want to get involved or just translate posts in other languages.
Get in touch
|firstname.lastname@example.org||Press enquiries |
|email@example.com||Get in touch with the whole team for general discussion.|
What we do
One of the foundation Working Groups, the Communication Working Group is focussed upon outward communication of the Foundation. These days the group is largely concentrating on:
- Official news/announcement channels, such as the blog.openstreetmap.org, and the OpenStreetMap twitter and facebook accounts.
- Responding to press enquiries, normally by email. Typically press interviews are handed off to local community members or board members.
- Overseeing the OSMF website. Most content forms a relatively static "brochure" for the foundation, but the website carries various important living documents, and this continues to be overseen by CWG.
This is where the foundation makes any official announcements. CWG attempts to maintain these as informative/entertaining news channels for the OpenStreetMap project in general. These channels will never be the only source news, and so working out how WeeklyOSM and the blogs & diaries of the community relate to these official news channels, is a current challenge. In any case there is an expectation that OpenStreetMap has a lively and active blog and twitter account (an expectation among many community members, but even more so among outside observers).
Being the "official voice of the foundation", these channels also carry an expectation that communications should always represent OpenStreetMap and the OSMF positively and responsibly, that being a summary of the OSMF Communication Guidelines, a document maintained by CWG.
The osmfoundation.org website content and design was an early focus. The group has been active to varying degrees since 2010, with a somewhat shifting role in that time.
We are welcoming people that want to get involved much or even casually. Join us if any of the following is true:
- You would like to write OSMF-related blog posts.
- You want to translate posts in your or other languages.
- You have graphic design skills and would like to create OSMF-related graphics, leaflets, etc.
- You have CWG-related ideas that you would like to share.
- You want to help but still don't know how.
With more volunteers CWG could take on other tasks. "Communication" is a broad word!
Who we are
Meetings are normally recurring on the 3rd Friday of each month on IRC, unless rescheduled.