Licence and Legal FAQ/Contributor Terms Summary
The printable version is no longer supported and may have rendering errors. Please update your browser bookmarks and please use the default browser print function instead.
Summary of OpenStreetMap Contributor Terms
- Do not put in data you don't have permission to submit. It should either be your own work or something that there is clear permission to use.
- You still own the bits of data you put in, i.e. you can still use them in other places.
- You allow the OpenStreetMap Foundation to publish your bits of data as part of the OpenStreetMap geodata set for others to use.
- The OpenStreetMap Foundation can only publish the data under a free and open license. If it fails in that, it has broken a contract with you.
- The license is currently Open Database License 1.0. Here is a summary version
- The OpenStreetMap Foundation can only pick a new free license if it's approved by the OSMF membership (a foundation of paid-up members) and a 2/3 majority vote of active contributors. You'll be considered an active contributor if you've edited in at least 3 out of the last 12 months and don't take longer than 3 weeks to reply to E-Mail.
- If you want attribution you should add your name to the Contributors page.
- Both you and the OpenStreetMap Foundation disclaim responsibility for anything that might happen to folks using your data.