Difference between revisions of "Licensing Working Group"

From OpenStreetMap Foundation
(→‎Who we are: Divided into a "Join Us" section)
(Updated membership)
 
(50 intermediate revisions by 5 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
One of the Foundation [[Working Groups]], the '''Licensing Working Group''' is charged with all issues relating the the current license for OSM data.
 
__NOTOC__
 
   
==Who we are==
 
  +
{|class="wikitable"
  +
|style="border:1px #ffffcc; padding:15px ; background-color:#ebf4eb; text-align:center;"| <span style="color: black;">
  +
<br>[[File:LWG_proposed_image_02_2017.svg|frameless|left]]
   
We are changing to a format with full Active members and Associate helper members.
 
   
Our active members are:
 
  +
'''Licensing Working Group'''<br>
   
* Michael Collinson (Group Chair)
 
  +
The promotion of open geospatial data through practical, coherent and clear licensing is our number one priority.
* Oliver Kühn (OSMF Board)
 
  +
|-
* Dermot McNally (OSMF Board)
 
  +
|style="border:1px #ffffcc; text-align: right; background-color:#ebf4eb;" | <span style="color: black;"> '''Status: Active'''</span>
* Simon Poole (OSMF Board, OSMF President)
 
  +
|}
   
We are putting together our Associate list and will publish it shortly.
 
  +
==Useful links==
   
==Join Us==
 
  +
* [http://www.opendatacommons.org/licenses/odbl/summary/ Open Database License] is used for our map data.
 
  +
* [http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/ Creative Commons License] is used for all our other website material and the map tiles we create and host.
We are a group with diverse views who listen to the range of views across the OpenStreetMap community and work to create a practical and clearly communicatable consensus in a friendly manner. We are always open to new members, whether to take part regularly or to work on a particular issue that frustrates you. We are not lawyers. All we ask is genuine concern to protect the ideals of OpenStreetMap and open data and to make life easier for contributors and end users. Do contact us!
 
  +
* [[Licence/Licence and Legal FAQ|Licence and Legal FAQ]]
  +
* [[Licence/Community Guidelines|Community Guidelines]]
  +
* [[Licence/Contributor_Terms|Contributor Terms]]
  +
* [[Licence/Waiver and Permission Templates| Waiver and Permission Templates]]
  +
* [[Takedown procedure|Takedown Procedure]]
  +
* [[Licence/About The Licence Change|About The 2012 Licence Change]]
   
 
==Get in touch==
 
==Get in touch==
   
You can get in touch with the whole team at: [mailto:legal@osmfoundation.org legal@osmfoundation.org]
 
  +
{| class="wikitable"
  +
! style="color:black; colspan="2"| Contact us
  +
|-
  +
! style="vertical-align:middle; color:black; background:white"| legal-questions
  +
@osmfoundation.org
  +
| Please send questions with respect to licensing, business models and similar subjects that you are asking the OSMF as licensor of the OSM data.
   
You can subscribe to the OSM legal-talk mailing list at http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo
 
   
==Minutes==
 
  +
We will try and respond to such queries as soon as possible, however we cannot provide legal advice or extensive business plan analysis.
   
See [[Working Group Minutes#Licensing Working Group]]
 
  +
If you have noticed a potential licence violation by a consumer of OpenStreetMap data and have been unable to resolve the matter bilaterally, please feel free to contact us.
  +
|-
  +
! style="color:black; background: white"| <span style="color: black;"> legal@osmfoundation.org
  +
| Get in touch with the whole team for general discussion.
   
The group now meets approximately every two weeks.
 
  +
|-
  +
! style="color:black; background: white" | https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/
  +
| Subscribe to the OSM legal-talk mailing list.
  +
|-
  +
|}
   
==Useful links==
 
  +
== What we do ==
  +
  +
One of the Foundation [[Working Groups]], the '''Licensing Working Group''' is charged with looking at
  +
* Licensing matters relating to ''using'' our geodata, ([https://opendatacommons.org/licenses/odbl/summary/ our end user license], [https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/Community_Guidelines community guidelines], [[License|License FAQ]]).
  +
* Licensing matters relating ''creating'' our geodata, ([[License/Contributor_Terms|contributor terms]], [[https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Catalogue imports]], using aerial imagery ...)
  +
* Legal matters relating to responsibility and risk, (trademarks, [[License/Takedown_procedure|safe harbour]], privacy, child protection, ...)
  +
  +
The promotion of open geospatial data through practical, coherent and clear licensing is our number one priority.
  +
  +
Moving forward from the licence change in 2012, we expect to play a license maintenance role and to be “educational” in helping people in and outside the OSM community to understand our license and working to clarify issues raised. In addition, we want to explore taking OSMF to be a more outward-looking organisation within the arena of promoting free and open geospatial data licensing.
  +
  +
Our formal [https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gZa8mlB7vdOeB_BhlC4mB58ZWo0MaotAUhn29h0658U/edit?usp=sharing remit] frames our responsibilities and the areas we concentrate on, our plans for this year can found here: [https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FW1QGY-A02Ny5n1s2sRO0wIOTkoX_zoc3c0qZ3YE84o/edit?usp=sharing 2017 action plan].
  +
  +
If you have noticed a potential licence violation by a consumer of OpenStreetMap data and have been unable to resolve the matter bilaterally, please feel free to contact the LWG via e-mail.
  +
__NOTOC__
  +
==Who we are==
  +
  +
{| class="wikitable"
  +
!width=220px style="text-align: middle; background: white;"| <span style="color: black;"> Regular
  +
attending members </span>
  +
!width=220px style="text-align: middle; background: white;"| <span style="color: black;"> Infrequent participating members (on our mailing list)</span>
  +
!width=220px style="text-align: middle; background: light-grey;"| <span style="color: black;"> Former
  +
members </span>
  +
|-
  +
| width=220px style="text-align: middle; background: white;"|
  +
* Kathleen Lu
  +
* Dr. Marlena Jankowska
  +
* Jim Vidano
  +
* Nuno Caldeira
  +
* Simon Poole (Chair)
  +
|width=240px style="text-align: middle; background: white;"|
  +
* Dermot McNally
  +
* Michael Steffen
  +
* Luis Villa
  +
* Satoshi IIDA
  +
* Ken Miller
  +
* Martijn van Exel (OSMF Board)
  +
|
  +
* <font color="grey">Paul Norman</font>
  +
* <font color="grey">Lily Toy</font>
  +
* <font color="grey">Christina Luu</font>
  +
* <font color="grey">Alyssa Wright</font>
  +
* <font color="grey">Michael Collinson</font>
  +
* <font color="grey">Richard Weait</font>
  +
* <font color="grey">Ulf Möller</font>
  +
|}
  +
  +
==Join Us==
  +
  +
We are a group with diverse views who listen to the range of views across the OpenStreetMap community and work to create a practical and clearly communicatable consensus. We are friendly and courteous. We are always open to new members, whether to take part regularly or to work on a particular issue that frustrates you.
  +
  +
Our core members are expected to join regularly join our voice conference meetings in English and take on an average of one action item per meeting, generally to do some kind of research. Regulars members are expected to sign a NDA with the OSMF as we now and then handle confidential 3rd party information. We will typically discuss or track an issue over several months.
  +
  +
If you want to help from time to time or want to work on a particular issue and then stop, you are still welcome to join our meetings.
  +
  +
We understand that can be very difficult for non-native English speakers. So if you just want to use email, that is fine. Working with many countries is becoming increasingly important to us.
  +
  +
Roughly half of us are lawyers, however it is no way a requirement to participating. All we ask is genuine concern to protect the ideals and interests of OpenStreetMap and open data and to make life easier for contributors and end users. Do contact us (best by [mailto:legal@osmfoundation.org e-mail])!
  +
  +
==Minutes==
  +
  +
See [[Working Group Minutes#Licensing Working Group |Licensing Working Group Minutes]]
   
* [http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/ Creative Commons License]
 
  +
The group now meets every 2nd Thursday of the month, at 20:00 UTC, on [https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mumble Mumble], unless rescheduled.
* [http://www.opendatacommons.org/licenses/odbl/summary/ Open Database License]
 
   
  +
==[[History]]==
   
 
[[Category:Working Groups]]
 
[[Category:Working Groups]]

Latest revision as of 12:40, 16 November 2018


LWG proposed image 02 2017.svg


Licensing Working Group

The promotion of open geospatial data through practical, coherent and clear licensing is our number one priority.

Status: Active

Useful links

Get in touch

Contact us
legal-questions

@osmfoundation.org

Please send questions with respect to licensing, business models and similar subjects that you are asking the OSMF as licensor of the OSM data.


We will try and respond to such queries as soon as possible, however we cannot provide legal advice or extensive business plan analysis.

If you have noticed a potential licence violation by a consumer of OpenStreetMap data and have been unable to resolve the matter bilaterally, please feel free to contact us.

legal@osmfoundation.org Get in touch with the whole team for general discussion.
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/ Subscribe to the OSM legal-talk mailing list.

What we do

One of the Foundation Working Groups, the Licensing Working Group is charged with looking at

The promotion of open geospatial data through practical, coherent and clear licensing is our number one priority.

Moving forward from the licence change in 2012, we expect to play a license maintenance role and to be “educational” in helping people in and outside the OSM community to understand our license and working to clarify issues raised. In addition, we want to explore taking OSMF to be a more outward-looking organisation within the arena of promoting free and open geospatial data licensing.

Our formal remit frames our responsibilities and the areas we concentrate on, our plans for this year can found here: 2017 action plan.

If you have noticed a potential licence violation by a consumer of OpenStreetMap data and have been unable to resolve the matter bilaterally, please feel free to contact the LWG via e-mail.

Who we are

Regular

attending members

Infrequent participating members (on our mailing list) Former

members

  • Kathleen Lu
  • Dr. Marlena Jankowska
  • Jim Vidano
  • Nuno Caldeira
  • Simon Poole (Chair)
  • Dermot McNally
  • Michael Steffen
  • Luis Villa
  • Satoshi IIDA
  • Ken Miller
  • Martijn van Exel (OSMF Board)
  • Paul Norman
  • Lily Toy
  • Christina Luu
  • Alyssa Wright
  • Michael Collinson
  • Richard Weait
  • Ulf Möller

Join Us

We are a group with diverse views who listen to the range of views across the OpenStreetMap community and work to create a practical and clearly communicatable consensus. We are friendly and courteous. We are always open to new members, whether to take part regularly or to work on a particular issue that frustrates you.

Our core members are expected to join regularly join our voice conference meetings in English and take on an average of one action item per meeting, generally to do some kind of research. Regulars members are expected to sign a NDA with the OSMF as we now and then handle confidential 3rd party information. We will typically discuss or track an issue over several months.

If you want to help from time to time or want to work on a particular issue and then stop, you are still welcome to join our meetings.

We understand that can be very difficult for non-native English speakers. So if you just want to use email, that is fine. Working with many countries is becoming increasingly important to us.

Roughly half of us are lawyers, however it is no way a requirement to participating. All we ask is genuine concern to protect the ideals and interests of OpenStreetMap and open data and to make life easier for contributors and end users. Do contact us (best by e-mail)!

Minutes

See Licensing Working Group Minutes

The group now meets every 2nd Thursday of the month, at 20:00 UTC, on Mumble, unless rescheduled.

History