Difference between revisions of "Licensing Working Group"

From OpenStreetMap Foundation
(added links)
m (→‎Who we are: Martijn isn't on the Board anymore)
 
(51 intermediate revisions by 6 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
  +
  +
{|class="wikitable"
  +
|style="border:1px #ffffcc; padding:15px ; background-color:#ebf4eb; text-align:center;"| <span style="color: black;">
  +
<br>[[File:LWG_proposed_image_02_2017.svg|frameless|left]]
  +
  +
  +
'''Licensing Working Group'''<br>
  +
  +
The promotion of open geospatial data through practical, coherent and clear licensing is our number one priority.
  +
|-
  +
|style="border:1px #ffffcc; text-align: right; background-color:#ebf4eb;" | <span style="color: black;"> '''Status: Active'''</span>
  +
|}
  +
  +
==Useful links==
  +
  +
* [http://www.opendatacommons.org/licenses/odbl/summary/ Open Database License] is used for our map data.
  +
* [http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/ Creative Commons License] is used for all our other website material and the map tiles we create and host.
  +
* [[Licence/Licence and Legal FAQ|Licence and Legal FAQ]]
  +
* [[Licence/Community Guidelines|Community Guidelines]]
  +
* [[Licence/Contributor_Terms|Contributor Terms]]
  +
* [[Licence/Waiver and Permission Templates| Waiver and Permission Templates]]
  +
* [[Takedown procedure|Takedown Procedure]]
  +
* [[Licence/About The Licence Change|About The 2012 Licence Change]]
  +
  +
==Get in touch==
  +
  +
{| class="wikitable"
  +
! style="color:black; colspan="2"| Contact us
  +
|-
  +
! style="vertical-align:middle; color:black; background:white"| legal-questions
  +
@osmfoundation.org
  +
| Please send questions with respect to licensing, business models and similar subjects that you are asking the OSMF as licensor of the OSM data.
  +
  +
  +
We will try and respond to such queries as soon as possible, however we cannot provide legal advice or extensive business plan analysis.
  +
  +
If you have noticed a potential licence violation by a consumer of OpenStreetMap data and have been unable to resolve the matter bilaterally, please feel free to contact us.
  +
|-
  +
! style="color:black; background: white"| <span style="color: black;"> legal@osmfoundation.org
  +
| Get in touch with the whole team for general discussion.
  +
  +
|-
  +
! style="color:black; background: white" | https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/
  +
| Subscribe to the OSM legal-talk mailing list.
  +
|-
  +
|}
  +
  +
== What we do ==
  +
 
One of the Foundation [[Working Groups]], the '''Licensing Working Group''' is charged with looking at
 
One of the Foundation [[Working Groups]], the '''Licensing Working Group''' is charged with looking at
* Licensing matters relating to ''using'' our geodata, ([http://opendatacommons.org/licenses/odbl/summary/ our end user license], [http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/Community_Guidelines community guidelines], [[License|License FAQ]]).
+
* Licensing matters relating to ''using'' our geodata, ([https://opendatacommons.org/licenses/odbl/summary/ our end user license], [https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/Community_Guidelines community guidelines], [[License|License FAQ]]).
* Licensing matters relating ''creating'' our geodata, ([[License/Contributor_Terms|contributor terms]], [[http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Catalogue imports]], using aerial imagery ...)
+
* Licensing matters relating to ''creating'' our geodata, ([[License/Contributor_Terms|contributor terms]], [[https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Catalogue imports]], using aerial imagery ...)
 
* Legal matters relating to responsibility and risk, (trademarks, [[License/Takedown_procedure|safe harbour]], privacy, child protection, ...)
 
* Legal matters relating to responsibility and risk, (trademarks, [[License/Takedown_procedure|safe harbour]], privacy, child protection, ...)
   
 
The promotion of open geospatial data through practical, coherent and clear licensing is our number one priority.
 
The promotion of open geospatial data through practical, coherent and clear licensing is our number one priority.
   
In 2013 and 2014, we expect to play a license maintenance role and to be “educational” in helping people in and outside the OSM community to understand our license and working to clarify issues raised. In addition, we want to explore taking OSMF to be a more outward-looking organisation within the arena of promoting free and open geospatial data licensing.
+
Moving forward from the licence change in 2012, we expect to play a license maintenance role and to be “educational” in helping people in and outside the OSM community to understand our license and working to clarify issues raised. In addition, we want to explore taking OSMF to be a more outward-looking organisation within the arena of promoting free and open geospatial data licensing.
   
More information about what we would like to do and what we must focus on can be found in a [https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D3KwSM_BO7KkcbVADQVVn7eFwkD-RNauMwidhhlVPsI/pub our 2013 action plan].
 
  +
Our formal [https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gZa8mlB7vdOeB_BhlC4mB58ZWo0MaotAUhn29h0658U/edit?usp=sharing remit] frames our responsibilities and the areas we concentrate on, our plans for this year can found here: [https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FW1QGY-A02Ny5n1s2sRO0wIOTkoX_zoc3c0qZ3YE84o/edit?usp=sharing 2017 action plan].
   
  +
If you have noticed a potential licence violation by a consumer of OpenStreetMap data and have been unable to resolve the matter bilaterally, please feel free to contact the LWG via e-mail.
 
__NOTOC__
 
__NOTOC__
   
 
==Who we are==
 
==Who we are==
   
We are changing to a format with full core members and associate helper members.
 
  +
{| class="wikitable"
 
  +
!width=220px style="text-align: middle; background: white;"| <span style="color: black;"> Regular
Our core members are:
+
attending members </span>
+
!width=220px style="text-align: middle; background: white;"| <span style="color: black;"> Infrequent participating members (on our mailing list)</span>
* Michael Collinson (Group Chair)
+
!width=220px style="text-align: middle; background: light-grey;"| <span style="color: black;"> Former
* Oliver Kühn (OSMF Board)
+
members </span>
* Dermot McNally (OSMF Board)
+
|-
* Simon Poole (OSMF Board, OSMF President)
+
| width=220px style="text-align: middle; background: white;"|
+
* Kathleen Lu
We are putting together our associate list and will publish it shortly.
+
* Dr. Marlena Jankowska
  +
* Jim Vidano
  +
* Nuno Caldeira
  +
* Michael Cheng
  +
* Simon Poole (Chair)
  +
|width=240px style="text-align: middle; background: white;"|
  +
* Dermot McNally
  +
* Michael Steffen
  +
* Luis Villa
  +
* Satoshi IIDA
  +
* Ken Miller
  +
* Martijn van Exel
  +
|
  +
* <font color="grey">Paul Norman</font>
  +
* <font color="grey">Lily Toy</font>
  +
* <font color="grey">Christina Luu</font>
  +
* <font color="grey">Alyssa Wright</font>
  +
* <font color="grey">Michael Collinson</font>
  +
* <font color="grey">Richard Weait</font>
  +
* <font color="grey">Ulf Möller</font>
  +
|}
   
 
==Join Us==
 
==Join Us==
Line 29: Line 79:
 
We are a group with diverse views who listen to the range of views across the OpenStreetMap community and work to create a practical and clearly communicatable consensus. We are friendly and courteous. We are always open to new members, whether to take part regularly or to work on a particular issue that frustrates you.
 
We are a group with diverse views who listen to the range of views across the OpenStreetMap community and work to create a practical and clearly communicatable consensus. We are friendly and courteous. We are always open to new members, whether to take part regularly or to work on a particular issue that frustrates you.
   
Our core member are expected to join regularly join our telephone conference meetings in English and take on an average of one action item per meeting, generally to do some kind of research. You can dial a low-cost national number in most countries. We will typically discuss or track an issue over several months.
+
Our core members are expected to join regularly join our voice conference meetings in English and take on an average of one action item per meeting, generally to do some kind of research. Regulars members are expected to sign a NDA with the OSMF as we now and then handle confidential 3rd party information. We will typically discuss or track an issue over several months.
   
 
If you want to help from time to time or want to work on a particular issue and then stop, you are still welcome to join our meetings.
 
If you want to help from time to time or want to work on a particular issue and then stop, you are still welcome to join our meetings.
   
We understand that can be very difficult for non-English speakers. So if you just want to use email, that is fine. Working with many countries is becoming increasingly important to us.
+
We understand that can be very difficult for non-native English speakers. So if you just want to use email, that is fine. Working with many countries is becoming increasingly important to us.
   
We are not lawyers. All we ask is genuine concern to protect the ideals and interests of OpenStreetMap and open data and to make life easier for contributors and end users. Do contact us!
+
Roughly half of us are lawyers, however it is no way a requirement to participating. All we ask is genuine concern to protect the ideals and interests of OpenStreetMap and open data and to make life easier for contributors and end users. Do contact us (best by [mailto:legal@osmfoundation.org e-mail])!
 
==Get in touch==
 
 
You can get in touch with the whole team at: [mailto:legal@osmfoundation.org legal@osmfoundation.org]
 
 
You can subscribe to the OSM legal-talk mailing list at http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo
 
   
 
==Minutes==
 
==Minutes==
   
See [[Working Group Minutes#Licensing Working Group]]
+
See [[Working Group Minutes#Licensing Working Group |Licensing Working Group Minutes]]
 
The group now meets approximately every two weeks.
 
   
==Useful links==
 
  +
The group now meets every 2nd Thursday of the month, at 20:00 UTC, on [https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mumble Mumble], unless rescheduled.
 
* [http://www.opendatacommons.org/licenses/odbl/summary/ Open Database License] is used for our map data.
 
* [http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/ Creative Commons License] is used for all our other website material and the map tiles we create and host.
 
   
  +
==[[History]]==
   
 
[[Category:Working Groups]]
 
[[Category:Working Groups]]

Latest revision as of 20:44, 6 January 2020


LWG proposed image 02 2017.svg


Licensing Working Group

The promotion of open geospatial data through practical, coherent and clear licensing is our number one priority.

Status: Active

Useful links

Get in touch

Contact us
legal-questions

@osmfoundation.org

Please send questions with respect to licensing, business models and similar subjects that you are asking the OSMF as licensor of the OSM data.


We will try and respond to such queries as soon as possible, however we cannot provide legal advice or extensive business plan analysis.

If you have noticed a potential licence violation by a consumer of OpenStreetMap data and have been unable to resolve the matter bilaterally, please feel free to contact us.

legal@osmfoundation.org Get in touch with the whole team for general discussion.
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/ Subscribe to the OSM legal-talk mailing list.

What we do

One of the Foundation Working Groups, the Licensing Working Group is charged with looking at

The promotion of open geospatial data through practical, coherent and clear licensing is our number one priority.

Moving forward from the licence change in 2012, we expect to play a license maintenance role and to be “educational” in helping people in and outside the OSM community to understand our license and working to clarify issues raised. In addition, we want to explore taking OSMF to be a more outward-looking organisation within the arena of promoting free and open geospatial data licensing.

Our formal remit frames our responsibilities and the areas we concentrate on, our plans for this year can found here: 2017 action plan.

If you have noticed a potential licence violation by a consumer of OpenStreetMap data and have been unable to resolve the matter bilaterally, please feel free to contact the LWG via e-mail.


Who we are

Regular

attending members

Infrequent participating members (on our mailing list) Former

members

  • Kathleen Lu
  • Dr. Marlena Jankowska
  • Jim Vidano
  • Nuno Caldeira
  • Michael Cheng
  • Simon Poole (Chair)
  • Dermot McNally
  • Michael Steffen
  • Luis Villa
  • Satoshi IIDA
  • Ken Miller
  • Martijn van Exel
  • Paul Norman
  • Lily Toy
  • Christina Luu
  • Alyssa Wright
  • Michael Collinson
  • Richard Weait
  • Ulf Möller

Join Us

We are a group with diverse views who listen to the range of views across the OpenStreetMap community and work to create a practical and clearly communicatable consensus. We are friendly and courteous. We are always open to new members, whether to take part regularly or to work on a particular issue that frustrates you.

Our core members are expected to join regularly join our voice conference meetings in English and take on an average of one action item per meeting, generally to do some kind of research. Regulars members are expected to sign a NDA with the OSMF as we now and then handle confidential 3rd party information. We will typically discuss or track an issue over several months.

If you want to help from time to time or want to work on a particular issue and then stop, you are still welcome to join our meetings.

We understand that can be very difficult for non-native English speakers. So if you just want to use email, that is fine. Working with many countries is becoming increasingly important to us.

Roughly half of us are lawyers, however it is no way a requirement to participating. All we ask is genuine concern to protect the ideals and interests of OpenStreetMap and open data and to make life easier for contributors and end users. Do contact us (best by e-mail)!

Minutes

See Licensing Working Group Minutes

The group now meets every 2nd Thursday of the month, at 20:00 UTC, on Mumble, unless rescheduled.

History