Licensing Working Group/Minutes/2019-04-11

From OpenStreetMap Foundation
< Licensing Working Group
Revision as of 00:36, 11 May 2019 by Dorothea (talk | contribs) (Created page with "'''OpenStreetMap Foundation, Licensing Working Group - Agenda & Minutes'''<br> '''Thursday April 11th 2019, 20:00 - 21:00 UTC''' == Participants == Present: * Simon Poole * J...")
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

OpenStreetMap Foundation, Licensing Working Group - Agenda & Minutes
Thursday April 11th 2019, 20:00 - 21:00 UTC

Participants

Present:

  • Simon Poole
  • Jim Vidano
  • Kathleen Lu

Apologies:

Guests:

  • Lucas Lasota

Minutes by: Dorothea

Administrative

Adoption of Minutes of last meeting

2019-03-14: Accepted

Previous Action Items

  • 2017-03-02 Simon determine existing obligations towards sources listed on the copyright page.
  • 2017-05-04 All/Simon review import guidelines wrt licence “approval”.
  • 2017-09-05 Simon ask Lawdit for quotes for registering for the additional class suggested.
  • 2018-03-08 All look at the Working Groups collecting personal information.
  • 2018-04-12 LWG to follow-up on the iD editor, as the number of changesets is now included on the changeset comments thread.
  • 2018-04-12 Simon to contact openstreetmap.cymru. The LWG will allow use of domain name on the condition that if there's local group in the future, they will have to concede control to them and get agreement in writing, so that if domain expires it doesn't get squatted on.
  • 2018-05-10 Jim to sign the LWG NDA.
  • 2018-10-11 Simon to ask the board to contact the Working Groups about the NDA and ask people to sign up.
  • 2018-11-08 LWG to update the OSMF address on US DMCA website - should match OSMF website listing.
  • 2018-11-08 Simon to ask William to provide information about the Canadian OGL variants he is interested in, in a systematic format.
  • 2018-12-13 GDPR: We need to disclose the details about our hosted bookkeeping solution, Xero (they host in NZ and US), in the privacy policy.
  • 2019-01-10 Simon to draft text to developers of apps related to geo/mapping, having OSM in their names or using variations of our logo.
  • 2019-02-14 Simon to summarise the advice regarding information requests from law enforcement and send it around.
  • 2019-03-14 Simon to check with Frederik whether the OSMF address got updated.
  • 2019-03-14 Simon to ask our counsel to find out what is the problem with our trademark in Philippines.
  • 2019-03-14 Simon to start a draft on attribution guidance.
  • 2019-03-14 Simon to answer BE blurring request.
  • 2019-04-11 Simon to add LWG past guidance which has not gone into the attribution page.
  • 2019-04-11 Simon send a formal letter to DJI.
  • 2019-04-11 Simon setup ICANN ™ clearing house account.

Reportage

  • Simon answered BE blurring request.
  • Simon started draft on attribution guidance.
  • Trademark in Philippines in progress. Our counsel is waiting for answer from their contact.
  • OSMF address on US DMCA website changed.

Attribution Guidance

Document started

Action Item: Simon to add LWG past guidance which has not gone into the attribution page.

Machine Learning

  • No past formal guidance given on using OSM as a training dataset.
  • The geocoding guideline have that catch all that says "if you use the result to try to reverse engineer a substantial DB, that is still a derivate DB".

Suggested addition to the guidance [approximate wording]:
Training datasets are clearly derived databases and resulting models are produced works. We will not claim rights in output produced by the model, as long as it is not a copy of the OSM database or something that is clearly deriving from OSM.

Also mentioned during discussion:
Research paper which found a "cheating" ML model: the ML model incorporated all data from training set, making an exact copy of it.

Related legal-talk discussion: OSM for training ML machines

dl-de/by-2-0

The german state NRW has commissioned a study on the licence.

  • Examining licence compatibility with ODbL.
  • Similar conclusions to ours, in its current form we need an explicit waiver.

Suggestion: link to this document from licence compatibility page.

DJI

Attribution missing on safe flying zone map where they are at least partially using OSM data to mark no-fly zones.

  • Based offshore - small leverage.
  • Have apps on Google and Apple play store, which could potentially use the same data.

Action item: Simon to sent a formal letter to DJI.

Discussion about cases with minor OSM data use in relation to the map. - Having an attribution page listing all providers would probably be ok. - Ideally: provide attribution based on the area/data shown.

Suggestion: Add attribution guidance about such cases.

Any Other Business

Application for an account with ICANNs trademark clearing house underway

  • We will get alerts when people try to register domain names that are in conflict with our trademarks.
  • Not expensive.

Brexit discussion

Discussion about current status. We have time until the end of October 2019.

Next Meeting

May 9th 2019 20:00 UTC on Mumble.


Acronyms