Licensing Working Group/Minutes/2019-05-09
OpenStreetMap Foundation, Licensing Working Group - Agenda & Minutes
Thursday May 9th 2019, 20:00 - 21:00 UTC
Draft minutes - Acceptance will be assessed on July's meeting.
- 1 Participants
- 2 Administrative
- 3 Reportage
- 4 Attribution Guidance
- 5 “Standard” style tiles licence
- 6 http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
- 7 Any Other Business
- 8 Next Meeting
- Simon Poole
- Kathleen Lu
- Nuno Caldeira
- Lucas Lasota
Minutes by: Dorothea
Adoption of Minutes of last meeting
Previous Action Items
- 2017-03-02 Simon determine existing obligations towards sources listed on the copyright page
- 2017-05-04 All/Simon review import guidelines wrt licence “approval”
- 2017-09-05 Simon ask Lawdit for quotes for registering for the additional class suggested
- 2018-03-08 All look at the Working Groups collecting personal information
- 2018-04-12 LWG to follow-up on the iD editor, as the number of changesets is now included on the changeset comments thread
- 2018-04-12 Simon to contact openstreetmap.cymru. The LWG will allow use of domain name on the condition that if there's local group in the future, they will have to concede control to them and get agreement in writing, so that if domain expires it doesn't get squatted on
- 2018-05-10 Jim to sign the LWG NDA
- 2018-10-11 Simon to ask the board to contact the Working Groups about the NDA and ask people to sign up.
- 2018-11-08 Simon to ask William to provide information about the Canadian OGL variants he is interested in, in a systematic format.
- 2019-01-10 Simon to draft text to developers of apps related to geo/mapping, having OSM in their names or using variations of our logo.
- 2019-02-14 Simon to summarise the advice regarding information requests from law enforcement and send it around.
2019-03-14 Simon to ask our counsel to find out what is the problem with our trademark in Philippines.
- 2019-04-11 Simon to add LWG past guidance which has not gone into the attribution page.
- 2019-04-11 Simon send a formal letter to DJI.
- 2019-04-11 Simon setup ICANN ™ clearing house account..
- 2019-05-09 Kathleen to add language to the Attribution guidance document regarding waiving DRM measures.
- 2019-05-09 Simon to contact osm.nl regarding garmin.openstreetmap.nl
Trademark registration updates
- We should have filled a statement of use but they didnt receive the notification.
- IP lawyer agreed to refile on their cost.
- Mexico [refused]
- We refilled, paid by our TM counsel.
Document in progress
No existing guidance
- Attribution on clothing
- Attribution on artwork - do we want attribution on the packaging/back/etc?
Attribution in video, TV and similar productions
Background: historically we have asked for visible attribution on map/screen.
Most enquiries are from companies using OSM-derived map as fixture or dressing, which cannot guarantee that.
Suggestion: ask for end credit attribution.
Exceptions: News reporting, where maps are a centerpiece of content.
“Standard” style tiles licence
Map data: under ODbL
Code for Carto style: under CC0
Tiles from standard [Carto] style on osm.org: under CCBY
History: Conscious decision around the 2012 licence change [of OSM data] to not change the licence of the tiles at that time.
The board has asked the LWG to come up with a proposal regarding the licence of the standard style of openstreetmap.org.
- A lot of enquiries to the LWG are from media production companies.
- DRM prohibition in CCBY licences is usually glossed over.
- put the tiles under CCBY0
- waive the "Technological Protection Measures" (DRM) statements
Action item: Kathleen to add language to the Attribution guidance document regarding waiving DRM measures.
Next step: Recommendation to board to accept the document but to get some input from the community before deciding.
- Very well known site.
- Operated by volunteer.
- Provides Garmin maps based on OSM data.
- One of the reasons OSM became popular.
- OSM branded site but it is not clear that it is not operated by OSMF.
- There are many complaints, as it hasn't been reliably working for a long time.
- Asking for donations.
Suggestion: Have a disclaimer on the website that it is not operated by OSMF.
Action item: Simon to contact osm.nl and see if someone replies.
Suggestion: Add attribution guidance about such cases.
Any Other Business
June 13th 2019 20:00 UTC on Mumble.