Difference between revisions of "Licensing Working Group/Minutes/2019-06-13"
(LWG 2019-06-13 draft minutes)
Latest revision as of 23:03, 6 July 2019
OpenStreetMap Foundation, Licensing Working Group - Agenda & Minutes
Thursday June 13th 2019, 20:00 - 21:00 UTC
Draft minutes - Acceptance will be assessed on July's meeting.
- 1 Participants
- 2 Administrative
- 3 Reportage
- 4 Attribution Guidance
- 5 Wandelnet / FFRandonée issue in NL
- 6 Any Other Business
- 7 Next Meeting
- Simon Poole
- Kathleen Lu
- Jim Vidano
- Nuno Caldeira
- Lucas Lasota
Minutes by: Dorothea
Adoption of Minutes of last meeting
2019-04-11 Not enough participants. Will be assessed on July's meeting.
Previous Action Items
- 2017-03-02 Simon determine existing obligations towards sources listed on the copyright page
- 2017-05-04 All/Simon review import guidelines wrt licence “approval”
- 2017-09-05 Simon ask Lawdit for quotes for registering for the additional class suggested
- 2018-03-08 All look at the Working Groups collecting personal information
- 2018-04-12 LWG to follow-up on the iD editor, as the number of changesets is now included on the changeset comments thread
- 2018-04-12 Simon to contact openstreetmap.cymru. The LWG will allow use of domain name on the condition that if there's local group in the future, they will have to concede control to them and get agreement in writing, so that if domain expires it doesn't get squatted on
- 2018-05-10 Jim to sign the LWG NDA
- 2018-10-11 Simon to ask the board to contact the Working Groups about the NDA and ask people to sign up.
- 2018-11-08 Simon to ask William to provide information about the Canadian OGL variants he is interested in, in a systematic format.
- 2019-01-10 Simon to draft text to developers of apps related to geo/mapping, having OSM in their names or using variations of our logo.
- 2019-02-14 Simon to summarise the advice regarding information requests from law enforcement and send it around.
- 2019-04-11 Simon to add LWG past guidance which has not gone into the attribution page.
2019-04-11 Simon send a formal letter to DJI.
- 2019-04-11 Simon setup ICANN ™ clearing house account.
2019-05-09 Kathleen to add language to the tile licence evaluation regarding waiving DRM measures. 2019-05-09 Simon to contact osm.nl regarding garmin.openstreetmap.nl 2019-06-13 Kathleen to respond to the Wandelnet -related enquiry
- 2019-06-13 LWG members to look at mobile app attribution of other map providers
- 2019-06-13 Simon to call the company that works with DJI.
- They were getting data from 3rd party, not providing attribution
Action item: Simon to call the company that works with DJI.
- Simon contacted osm.nl
- Joost offered to contact the Dutch community.
Snapshot of document as of 2019-06-06
Attribution of multiple data sources
- Section added by Simon.
- Suggestion 50% for OSM to be the primary datasource for attribution required to be prominent.
Pannable and zoomable maps on websites
- Add example screenshots, so we can remove the Google reference.
- Look at what Here and Tom Tom do.
- If using multiple static maps on page and all using OSM, have attribution stated on one location.
- Use resolution-independent measure.
- Explicitly mention that images that show insubstantial amount of OSM data, fall under the insubstantial guideline. Proposed phrasing "If you are using a single image which depicts fewer than 100 features, see the insubstantial guideline [to be linked] - we do not consider that substantial enough to require attribution, as a produced work".
Options that can be provided for devices with small screens:
- One-time pop-up that user swipes away or closes.
- Splash screen. # User interface research at University to quantify time necessary for people to read attribution.
Action item: LWG members to look at attribution at other apps:
- Attribution visible when artwork publicly displayed.
- In other situations: Point of sale/wrapping/back/etc.
Other points during discussion
- "CC-BY waiving the paragraph on terms of technical measures".
- Addition of footnote: "If you are familiar with ODbL, you can use this as a standard produced work under ODbL licence".
Wandelnet / FFRandonée issue in NL
Action item: Kathleen to reply.
Any Other Business
July 11th 2019 20:00 UTC on Mumble.