Licensing Working Group/Minutes/2019-08-08

From OpenStreetMap Foundation
< Licensing Working Group
Revision as of 17:48, 14 August 2019 by Dorothea (talk | contribs) (minor formatting)

OpenStreetMap Foundation, Licensing Working Group - Agenda & Minutes
Thursday August 8th 2019, 20:00 - 21:00 UTC

Draft minutes.

Participants

Present:

  • Kathleen Lu
  • Simon Poole.

Apologies:

  • Lucas Lasota
  • Jim Vidano

Minutes by: Dorothea

Administrative

Adoption of past Minutes

Previous Action Items

  • 2017-03-02 Simon to determine existing obligations towards sources listed on the copyright page.
  • 2017-05-04 All/Simon to review import guidelines wrt licence “approval”.
  • 2017-09-05 Simon to ask Lawdit for quotes for registering for the additional class suggested.
  • 2018-03-08 All to look at the Working Groups collecting personal information.
  • 2018-04-12 LWG to follow-up on the iD editor, as the number of changesets is now included on the changeset comments thread.
  • 2018-04-12 Simon to contact openstreetmap.cymru. The LWG will allow use of domain name on the condition that if there's local group in the future, they will have to concede control to them and get agreement in writing, so that if domain expires it doesn't get squatted on.
  • 2018-05-10 Jim to sign the LWG NDA.
  • 2018-10-11 Simon to ask the board to contact the Working Groups about the NDA and ask people to sign up.
  • 2018-11-08 Simon to ask William to provide information about the Canadian OGL variants he is interested in, in a systematic format.
  • 2018-12-13 GDPR: We need to disclose the details about our hosted bookkeeping solution, Xero (they host in NZ and US), in the privacy policy.
  • 2019-01-10 Simon to draft text to developers of apps related to geo/mapping, having OSM in their names or using variations of our logo.
  • 2019-02-14 Simon to summarise the advice regarding information requests from law enforcement and send it around.
  • 2019-04-11 Simon to add LWG past guidance which has not gone into the attribution page.
  • 2019-06-13 LWG members to look at mobile app attribution of other map providers.
  • 2019-06-13 Simon to call the company that works with DJI.
  • 2019-07-11 Kathleen to draft one-line attribution statement for the Tile Licence and get feedback from the LWG.
  • 2019-07-11 Jim and Lucas to provide feedback on the Attribution Guidance.
  • 2019-08-08 Simon to ask for community input on the current draft.
  • 2019-08-08 Simon to talk to Christine about having a Birds of a Feather session at State of the Map.
  • 2019-08-08 Simon to seek legal advice on potential GDPR/privacy issues with a no-deal Brexit.
  • 2019-08-08 Simon to check with Falk on narrowing the scope of the FOSSGIS PoA and if there is need for the PoA to be notorised, as person signing it is not in Germany.
  • 2019-08-08 Simon to draft an email to board regarding the FOSSGIS PoA, send to LWG first.
  • 2019-08-08 Simon to reply to Martin regarding the TfL licence.
  • 2019-08-08 Simon to answer to the France transit data question that it is ok with us and that they are technical solutions that could avoid the issue to start with.

Reportage

Attribution Guidance

Is it time to get a wider review?

Points mentioned

  • 480 dpi - ask for opinions.
  • Leave the option open of providing more prominent attribution, than required as minimum.
  • ODbL license compatibility talk at SotM 2019 by Kathleen
  • Problem of not having an effective mechanism to communicate with contributors.

Action items

  • Simon to ask for community input on the current draft. (done)
  • Simon to talk to Christine about having a Birds of a Feather session at State of the Map 2019.

No-deal BREXIT issues

As a no-deal BREXIT seems to be a near certainty now we need to revisit some of the issues we’ve previously touched on.

  • GDPR / privacy issues
  • Licence (DB rights)

Points mentioned

  • Under GDPR you can have other equally protective jurisdictions, that are considered ok for data transfers.
  • Besides the EU there are several other countries considered equally protective.
  • UK legislation is 100% GDPR compatible and will probably get the designation as sufficient.
  • If UK drops out on 31st of Oct, it might take 1-2 years for such determination to be made by the EU.

Action item: Simon to seek legal advice.

Power of Attorney request from FOSSGIS

Background: A long-term contributor noticed signs with maps clearly based on OSM and without attribution. In the correspondence between the company that erected the signs, the company that produced the maps and the contributor in Germany, the situation escalated, with the map company threatening the OSM contributor with legal action for libel. At that point FOSSGIS (our Local Chapter in Germany), became involved. FOSSGIS have subsequently sent a power of attorney (PoA) document to be signed by the OSMF board.

Points mentioned during discussion

  • We have heavily relied on community policing licence violations.
  • Supporting a well founded case of a community member of putting out a licence violation.
  • FOSSGIS proposed document seems to have a broader scope than needed for the specific case.
  • Initial discussions indicated the FOSSGIS would cover the cost.

Suggestions

  • Grant very focused power of attorney.
  • Local Chapter covering a substantial part of cost.
  • Check if PoA needs to be notorised, as the person signing it is not in Germany.

Action items

  • Simon to check with German lawyer on narrowing the scope of the PoA and if there is need for the PoA to be notorised as person signing it is not in Germany.
  • Simon to draft an email to board - send to LWG first.

TfL Licence

Background: Transport for London (TfL), an official Local Authority in the UK, have announced the release of their cycle data. CycleStreets have been commissioned by TfL to research the feasibility of making available a large dataset they have created for use by OSM and have contacted the LWG on whether the proposed dataset would be compatible for inclusion (via conflation methods) into OSM.
  • Licence, based on Open Government Licence v2 with some changes.
  • The data was collected by the surveyors using UKMap as a background map, and then checking was later performed using aerial imagery from the same supplier.
  • TfL are happy with commercial / non-commercial use of the released data.
  • Related discussion on the talk-GB OSM mailing list.
  • The LWG believes that it is unproblematic to use this data in or as a source for OpenStreetMap.

Action item: Simon to reply to Martin.

Trademarks

  • Brazil awarded
  • How to continue with the “problematic” countries (discussion deferred)

AOB

Licence questions from France

Unproblematic from our POV.

Action item: Simon to answer that it is ok with us and that they are technical solutions that could avoid the issue to start with.