Licensing Working Group/Minutes/2020-04-09
OpenStreetMap Foundation, Licensing Working Group - Agenda & Minutes
Thursday April 10th 2020, 20:00 - 21:00 UTC
Adoption of past Minutes
Previous Action Items
- 2017-03-02 Simon to determine existing obligations towards sources listed on the copyright page.
- 2017-05-04 All/Simon to review import guidelines wrt licence “approval”.
- 2018-03-08 All to look at the Working Groups collecting personal information.
- 2018-04-12 LWG to follow-up on the iD editor, as the number of changesets is now included on the changeset comments thread.
- 2018-04-12 Simon to contact openstreetmap.cymru. The LWG will allow use of domain name on the condition that if there's local group in the future, they will have to concede control to them and get agreement in writing, so that if domain expires it doesn't get squatted on.
- 2018-05-10 Jim to sign the LWG NDA.
- 2018-10-11 Simon to ask the board to contact the Working Groups about the NDA and ask people to sign up.
- 2019-01-10 Simon to draft text to developers of apps related to geo/mapping, having OSM in their names or using variations of our logo.
- 2019-02-14 Simon to summarise the advice regarding information requests from law enforcement and send it around.
- 2019-07-11 Kathleen to draft one-line attribution statement for the Tile Licence and get feedback from the LWG.
- 2019-10-10 Simon draft letter to board wrt PD checkbox.
- 2019-12-12 Simon to discuss trademark registration strategy (more countries, additional classes, etc) with lawdit
- 2019-12-12 Simon to get back to Uni Heidelberg wrt track issue
- 2020-01-09 Simon to include text about downstream produced works to the FAQ.
- 2020-01-09 Kathleen to produce 1-2 sentences about osm.org tile licence, to be included on copyright page.
- 2020-03-12 Simon to send email or fax to Moovit.
- 2020-03-12 Simon to send to Mateusz the link with the research by Kathleen on attribution on various apps.
- 2020-03-12 Guillaume to talk to the board and get back to the LWG after the board's screen to screen meeting. Suggested feedback to include if the LWG should continue with the attribution guidance in some form as it is now.
|See “Standard” style tiles licence
We originally suggested to switch to CC BY 4.0 with a waiver of certain terms, this however was too controversial in public discussion. Our fallback position was to simply state that the tiles are available on the relevant (that is Produced Work) ODbL terms, which seemed to be largely uncontroversial.
Proposal: recommend to the board to resolve to change the tile licence to the ODbL 1.0.
|Opposition deadline 20 MAY 2020|
Any Other Business
May 14th 2020 20:00 UTC on Mumble