Licensing Working Group/Minutes/2020-10-08

From OpenStreetMap Foundation
< Licensing Working Group
Revision as of 19:57, 22 January 2021 by Dorothea (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

OpenStreetMap Foundation, Licensing Working Group - Agenda & Minutes
Thursday October 8th 2020, 20:00 - 21:00 UTC

Participants

  • Simon Poole (chairing)
  • Kathleen Lu
  • Michael Cheng
  • Dermot McNally
  • Guillaume Rischard
  • Jim Vidano (sound problems)

Guests:

Apologies:

Minutes by Dorothea

Administrative

Adoption of past Minutes

Previous Action Items

  • 2017-03-02 Simon determine existing obligations towards sources listed on the copyright page.
  • 2017-05-04 All/Simon review import guidelines wrt licence “approval”.
  • 2018-03-08 All look at the Working Groups collecting personal information.
  • 2018-04-12 LWG to follow-up on the iD editor, as the number of changesets is now included on the changeset comments thread.
  • 2018-05-10 Jim to sign the LWG NDA.
  • 2018-10-11 Simon to ask the board to contact the Working Groups about the NDA and ask people to sign up.
  • 2019-01-10 Simon to draft text to developers of apps related to geo/mapping, having OSM in their names or using variations of our logo.
  • 2019-02-14 Simon to summarise the advice regarding information requests from law enforcement and send it around.
  • 2019-12-12 Simon to discuss trademark registration strategy (more countries, additional classes, etc) with lawdit
  • 2020-01-09 Simon to include text about downstream produced works to the FAQ.
  • 2020-03-12 Simon to send to Mateusz the link with the research by Kathleen on attribution on various apps.
  • 2020-03-12 Guillaume to talk to the board and get back to the LWG after the board's screen to screen meeting. Suggested feedback to include if the LWG should continue with the attribution guidance in some form as it is now.
  • 2019-08-13 Simon to email Queensland authorities about CC BY 4.0 Permission
  • 2020-08-13 Guillaume to provide a red-lined version of the attribution guideline to LWG.
  • 2020-08-13 Guillaume to ask the board if they will share outside counsel on the attribution guideline with the LWG.
  • 2020-09-10 Guillaume to check the Moovit app on his iPhone for attribution.
  • 2020-09-10 Guillaume to ask the board and Secretary about Dorothea triaging incoming enquiries.
  • 2020-09-10 Guillaume to set-up call with Kathleen and our UK lawyer about trademarks.

Reportage

  • Simon - emailed Queensland authorities. No answer yet.
  • Guillaume - checked the Moovit app and uses OSM data for navigation.
  • Guillaume - the LWG has asked the board for more time from Dorothea. Dorothea is already working almost full time. The board is thinking of hiring an additional person.

OpenBusinessMap

  • German company.
  • Seems to not have any relation to OSM.

Suggestion that FOSSGIS talks to them. No objection.

Action item: Kathleen to contact Jochen Topf (FOSSGIS).

Use of commercial content delivery network (CDN) / Privacy Policy update

Update

  • Use of Amazon Web Services (AWS) for user images (AWS contract includes SCC)
  • Tile content delivery network - Fastly
  • OpenStreetCam (disclosure that it’s now operated by Grab, which is a third party)

The Operations Working Group has asked

  • for an opinion on their use of a commercial content delivery network (Fastly) for tiles, in place of a network of tile-caches operated by OSMF.
  • > If a contract contains standard contractual clauses, if they are included short term there is no issue, as _currently_ still legal.
  • update of privacy policy.

Other privacy policy updates needed

  • user images are stored on Amazon's Web Services.
    • they are operating as a data processor for us and we probably currently have a contract with them that includes the standard contractual clauses.
  • OpenStreetCam still references Telenav instead of Grab. Should list them as a potential processor of data.

Other points mentioned during discussion

  • Images from iD editor: iD has its own privacy policy.
  • Different from OpenStreetCam layer case as we're distributing the iD software.

Action item: Jim to work on updating the privacy policy and Kathleen will have a look at it.

Copyright policy
Difference between standard and English version: EN-US version for website. EN-GB version also available but different, because we changed the original and the translation has not been changed yet.

No way to invalidate translations on TranslateWiki.

Action item: Simon and Guillaume will look at the translation issue of the copyright policy page.

Moovit

iOS app routing missing attribution?

  • Background map is Apple maps.
  • Simon has a contact at Moovit and can forward follow-up by LWG.

Action item: Simon to send his Moovit contact to Guillaume.

Handover Simon

  • Trademarks (in progress -> Kathleen)
  • Incoming inquiries to legal-questions (in progress -> all)
  • Law enforcement contact (board?)
  • Admin (meetings, Dorothea?)
  • Old action items

Action item: Simon to send a summary of which action items need to be done.

Any other business

Draft attribution guideline

On red-lined version of draft attribution guideline (board version)

  • Action item: Guillaume and Paul will create a text explaining the changes that the board applied to the LWG version.
    • Ideally it will be sent before the meeting (in 5 days).
    • Short list of changes mentioned.
    • Guillaume to use software used for OSM-US Local Chapter agreement.
    • Suggestion on using a solution which allows commenting (e.g. Google doc).
  • The board would like to have a meeting with the LWG about the draft attribution guideline and address any miscommunication. Scheduling poll has already been sent.

On board sending legal counsel on draft attribution guidelines, that they received by pro-bono lawyer: sensible to do before the next meeting.

Circulating the LWG agenda

Dorothea was asked if she has enough time to take up circulating the LWG agenda. Will look at it and answer via email.

Next Meeting

November 12th 2020 20:00 UTC on Mumble