Licensing Working Group/Minutes/2020-11-12

From OpenStreetMap Foundation
< Licensing Working Group
Revision as of 19:57, 22 January 2021 by Dorothea (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

OpenStreetMap Foundation, Licensing Working Group - Agenda & Minutes
November 12th 2020, at 20:00 UTC

Participants

  • Kathleen Lu (chairing)
  • Dermot McNally
  • Michael Cheng

Guests:

  • Guillaume Rischard (OSMF board)

Apologies:

  • Jim Vidano

Administrative

Adoption of past Minutes

Previous Action Items

  • 2017-03-02 Simon to determine existing obligations towards sources listed on the copyright page.
  • 2017-05-04 All/Simon to review import guidelines with regards to licence “approval”.
  • 2018-03-08 All to look at the Working Groups collecting personal information.
  • 2018-04-12 LWG to follow-up on the iD editor, as the number of changesets is now included on the changeset comments thread.
  • 2018-05-10 Jim to sign the LWG NDA.
  • 2018-10-11 Simon to ask the board to contact the Working Groups about the NDA and ask people to sign up.
  • 2019-01-10 Simon to draft text to developers of apps related to geo/mapping, having OSM in their names or using variations of our logo.
  • 2019-02-14 Simon to summarise the advice regarding information requests from law enforcement and send it around.
  • 2019-12-12 Simon to discuss trademark registration strategy (more countries, additional classes, etc) with lawdit
  • 2020-01-09 Simon to include text about downstream produced works to the FAQ.
  • 2020-03-12 Simon to send to Mateusz the link with the research by Kathleen on attribution on various apps.
  • 2020-03-12 Guillaume to talk to the board and get back to the LWG after the board's screen to screen meeting. Suggested feedback to include if the LWG should continue with the attribution guidance in some form as it is now.
  • 2019-08-13 Simon to email Queensland authorities about CC BY 4.0 Permission.
  • 2020-08-13 Guillaume to provide a red-lined version of the attribution guideline to LWG.
  • 2020-08-13 Guillaume to ask the board if they will share outside counsel on the attribution guideline with the LWG.
  • 2020-09-10 Guillaume to check the Moovit app on his iPhone for attribution.
  • 2020-09-10 Guillaume to ask the board and Secretary about Dorothea triaging incoming enquiries.
  • 2020-09-10 Simon to set-up call with Kathleen and our UK lawyer about trademarks.
  • 2020-10-08 Kathleen to contact Jochen Topf (FOSSGIS) regarding OpenBusinessMap.
  • 2020-10-08 Jim to work on updating the privacy policy in relation to OSMF's use of a commercial content delivery network (CDN), and Kathleen will have a look at it.
  • 2020-10-08 Simon and Guillaume to look at the translation issue of the copyright policy page.
  • 2020-10-08 Simon to send his Moovit contact to Guillaume.
  • 2020-10-08 Simon to send a summary of which action items need to be done.
  • 2020-10-08 Guillaume and Paul to create a text explaining the changes that the board applied to the LWG version of the draft attribution guidelines.

Reportage

Logistics - Switch to BigBlueButton?

  • All agreed on switch.
  • Guillaume will email everyone the details of the link.

Update re Dorothea?

  • There is a misunderstanding. The board is considering decreasing the amount of time Dorothea spends on working groups, but has not made a decision and for now, the intention is that Dorothea will still do minutes.
  • Guillaume will email Dorothea to communicate this and give her the recording from this meeting so she can do the minutes from it.
  • If LWG can’t use Dorothea’s service, LWG still thinks it is critical for someone to take the minutes and maintain the agenda. If Dorothea isn’t available, LWG sees the need for a second administrative assistant. LWG doesn’t like wikis, and would prefer to keep working in shared google docs or something similar.

OpenBusinessMap update & funds allocation

Proposal from law firm to negotiate application disclaimer and coexistence agreement with OpenBusinessMap. Flat fee of £1000 - all agreed to proceed.

A part of the discussion was not publicly minuted after request.

Decision: Kathleen to reach out to the outside counsel.

Newest draft of Attribution Guidelines from this morning

  1. Everyone to review and comment asynchronously.
  2. Full discussion tabled until next time.

Points mentioned during discussion

  • Safety and privacy always trumps everything else.
  • Allocating budget of pixels on someone's screen can become complicated.
  • The board is aware that requiring attribution when using significant amounts of information from OSM, might limit the usage of OSM in some ways and it is not always possible to satisfy the attribution requirements and thus use OSM in every case.
  • The idea of showing the attribution just on the first time an app is used, is troublesome.
  • Not being overly prescriptive - we might be cutting off usecases that we have not thought about.

On accessibility: Case of routing accessibility application delivering audio instructions.

  • It might be unreasonable to audibly mention attribution every time.
  • The accessibility section is heavily visually oriented. Suggestion to modify it with something along the lines of "proportion of content delivered".

Any other business

n/a

Next Meeting

December 10th 2020 at 20:00 UTC on BigBlueButton