Licensing Working Group/Minutes/2021-06-10

From OpenStreetMap Foundation
< Licensing Working Group
Revision as of 13:35, 16 July 2021 by Dorothea (talk | contribs) (+ minutes)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

OpenStreetMap Foundation, Licensing Working Group (LWG) - Agenda & Minutes
June 10th 2021, at 20:00 UTC

Participants

  • Kathleen Lu (chairing)
  • Dermot McNally
  • Jim Vidano
  • Michael Cheng
  • Tom Hummel
  • Guillaume Rischard (OSMF board)

Apologies

Minutes by Dorothea Kazazi

Administrative

Adoption of past Minutes

Previous Action Items

  • 2017-03-02 Simon to determine existing obligations towards sources listed on the copyright page.
  • 2017-05-04 All/Simon to review import guidelines with regards to licence “approval”.
  • 2018-03-08 All to look at the Working Groups collecting personal information.
  • 2018-04-12 LWG to follow-up on the iD editor, as the number of changesets is now included on the changeset comments thread.
  • 2019-01-10 Simon to draft text to developers of apps related to geo/mapping, having OSM in their names or using variations of our logo.
  • 2019-02-14 Simon to summarise the advice regarding information requests from law enforcement and send it around.
  • 2019-12-12 Simon to discuss trademark registration strategy (more countries, additional classes, etc) with lawdit
  • 2020-01-09 Simon to include text about downstream produced works to the FAQ.
  • 2020-03-12 Simon to send to Mateusz the link with the research by Kathleen on attribution on various apps.
  • 2020-09-10 Simon to set-up call with Kathleen and our UK lawyer about trademarks.
  • 2020-10-08 Jim to work on updating the privacy policy in relation to OSMF's use of a commercial CDN, and Kathleen will have a look at it.
  • 2020-10-08 Simon and Guillaume to look at the translation issue of the copyright policy page.
  • 2020-10-08 Simon to send his Moovit contact to Guillaume.
  • 2020-10-08 Simon to send a summary of which action items need to be done.
  • 2020-12-10 Guillaume to provide board's answer on next steps for draft attribution guidelines and information on timing.
  • 2021-01-14 Guillaume to report on Board status re identification of outside counsel
  • 2021-02-11 Kathleen to check LWG-specific membership requirements on the OSMF website and CoI policy and provide to Dorothea any updates for the website.
  • 2021-03-11 Guillaume to sort out various email issues - Making sure Dermot is on the main legal mailing issue, making sure everyone is getting OTRS email notifications for the legal queue.
  • 2021-04-08 Dermot to ping Guillaume, so that the LWG can digitally sign e.g. requests for permission from PLOS.
  • 2021-04-08 Kathleen to reply to question sent to legal list about Argentina data.
  • 2021-04-08 Kathleen to ask OpenSnowMap to fill out the quick licence template and forward it to the board for counter signature.
  • 2021-05-13 Jim to contact Paul to confirm that the changes will be made on the website regarding the privacy policy update.
  • 2021-05-13 Dermot to contact Guillaume regarding creating OTRS templates.
  • 2021-05-13 Dermot, Michael and Jim to make passes of gap-list document within next week and on May 21st Kathleen to send agenda to the board and suggest discussion topics for the meeting.

Welcome Tom Hummel to the Licensing Working Group

Officially welcome Tom to LWG.

Reportage

Jim - Privacy policy update status

Action item (from previous meeting): Jim to contact Paul to confirm that the changes will be made on the website.

Trademarks - HOT, State of the Map

Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT)

Kathleen continuing to liaise with outside counsel to produce a draft.

State of the Map

Mikel sent a note that Kathleen drafted for him, got a friendly and apologetic response, they hadn’t made the connection on the name. They will refrain from using the name in the future and hope that OSMF can join them at an event in the future.

Question from Martijn van Exel regarding "Right to be Forgotten"

Resolved by OWG - apparently this happens occasionally and OWG is able to replace names/emails in listserv with “Anonymous Person” or like.

Attribution Guidelines

  • Meeting with Board was productive
  • Dermot cleaned up the redlines based on the conversation - Thank you Dermot!
  • Only remaining comments appear to be minor wordsmithing & formatting - any further comments before we ask the Board to bless and circulate?

Discussion about moving a short section to the introduction.

Any other business

Kathleen going on leave June 12

Kathleen to be back at the December meeting.

Response to OTRS (support tracker) tickets

  • Template answers - Templates have been created in OTRS! They are all labeled with “LWG” to start (thanks to Tom Hughes and Paul Norman for the technical assistance)
  • Has everyone confirmed access?
  • Perhaps set up a rotation to review after this week?

Action item: Dorothea to add "Check OTRS tickets" to every meeting agenda till Kathleen comes back.

OSM tileset hosted by a 3rd party

Suggestions:

  • LWG to draft template email "invitation to licence"
  • Trimester report.
    • The volume might become overwhelming. LWG already has more work than it can handle.
    • Do a recruitment call.
      • Will get people with no prior experience.
    • Draft a template, have the Data Working Group test it and see if you get good results.

Points mentioned:

  • Whose responsibility is to check that reported cases are OSM data.
  • Belgian community has template letter.

Next Meeting

July 8th 2021 20:00 UTC on BigBlueButton video room.