Licensing Working Group/Minutes/2022-02-17

From OpenStreetMap Foundation
< Licensing Working Group
Revision as of 00:03, 21 February 2022 by Dorothea (talk | contribs) (+ draft minutes and background sections)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Draft minutes

OpenStreetMap Foundation, Licensing Working Group (LWG) - Agenda & Minutes
17 February 2022, 18:00 UTC

Participants

  • Kathleen Lu (Chairing)
  • Dermot McNally
  • Guillaume Rischard (OSMF board)
  • Jim Vidano
  • Tom Hummel

LWG member list
Minutes by Dorothea Kazazi

Administrative

Adoption of past minutes

  • 2022-01-13 Acceptance deferred to the next meeting, as Simon Hughes was not present.

Previous Action Items

  • 2017-03-02 Simon Poole to determine existing obligations towards sources listed on the copyright page.
  • 2017-05-04 All/Simon Poole to review import guidelines with regards to licence “approval”.
  • 2018-03-08 All to look at the Working Groups collecting personal information.
  • 2018-04-12 LWG to follow-up on the iD editor, as the number of changesets is now included on the changeset comments thread.
  • 2019-01-10 Simon Poole to draft text to developers of apps related to geo/mapping, having OSM in their names or using variations of our logo.
  • 2019-02-14 Simon Poole to summarise the advice regarding information requests from law enforcement and send it around.
  • 2019-12-12 Simon Poole to discuss trademark registration strategy (more countries, additional classes, etc) with lawdit
  • 2020-01-09 Simon Poole to include text about downstream produced works to the FAQ.
  • 2020-03-12 Simon Poole to send to Mateusz the link with the research by Kathleen Lu on attribution on various apps.
  • 2020-09-10 Simon Poole to set-up call with Kathleen Lu and our UK lawyer about trademarks.
  • 2020-10-08 Jim Vidano to work on updating the privacy policy in relation to OSMF's use of a commercial CDN, and Kathleen Lu will have a look at it.
  • 2020-10-08 Simon Poole and Guillaume Rischard to look at the translation issue of the copyright policy page.
  • 2020-10-08 Simon Poole to send his Moovit contact to Guillaume Rischard.
  • 2020-10-08 Simon Poole to send a summary of which action items need to be done.
  • 2021-01-14 Guillaume Rischard to report on Board status re identification of outside counsel
  • 2021-02-11 Kathleen Lu to check LWG-specific membership requirements on the OSMF website and Conflict of Interest policy and provide to Dorothea any updates for the website.
  • 2021-03-11 Guillaume Rischard to sort out various email issues - Making sure Dermot McNally is on the main legal mailing issue, making sure everyone is getting OTRS email notifications for the legal queue.
  • 2021-07-08 Guillaume Rischard to meet with Dermot McNally about using OTRS.
  • 2021-07-08 LWG members to provide comment on the HOT draft trademark agreement on the next meeting.
  • 2021-07-08 Tom Hummel to reply to the gdpr_openstreepmap.org_tsfkd@ email.
  • 2021-07-08 Jim Vidano to look at next steps for Opensnowmap.org paperwork after the trademark request has been approved by the board.
  • 2021-07-08 Dermot McNally to ask Tobias for expected outcome regarding the request for change of the text of the standard tile license.
  • 2021-08-12 Tom Hummel to suggest text to be published regarding OSMF's legitimate interest in processing personal data.
  • 2021-08-12 Dermot McNally to reply to Tobias about simplifying the text of the tile licence.
  • 2021-08-12 Dermot McNally to make the pull request on Github openstreemap-website regarding attribution requirements for OSMF tiles
  • 2021-08-12 Dermot McNally to communicate back to contacts regarding Australian data attribution and suggest filling the waiver template.
  • 2021-08-12 LWG to identify OSMF legal texts that might be needed under German law to be in German.
  • 2021-09-09 Jim Vidano to ask Simon Poole whether he has previous emails contacting companies that were not displaying attribution.
  • 2021-09-09 Guillaume Rischard to check past emails (e.g. last year ones related to case in Germany where they settled in court) for any sent to companies not complying with attribution requirements and to send what he finds, including links to the Github repositories with the lists of not complying organisations, to the Signal group.
  • 2021-09-09 Jim Vidano to have create a draft template email for the community to contact organisations regarding non compliance with the attribution guidelines
  • 2021-09-09 Dermot McNally to reply to Jean-Marc Liotier (board of directors) with the LWG decision to create a template email for minor cases of non-compliance with the attribution guidelines available to the community and the LWG to directly contact bigger companies.
  • 2021-12-09 Tom Hummel to contact the person who created the OTRS ticket about printed maps without OSM attribution and ask for more information on this case.
  • 2021-12-09 Dermot McNally to email Martin Koppenhoefer (community member) asking for information on how he knows that the Canadian company he reported to LWG uses OSM.
  • 2022-01-13 Simon Hughes to download a copy of the Copyright FAQ page and mark anything that is not matching the attribution guidelines or is confusing and circulate that to the LWG.
  • 2022-01-13 Kathleen Lu to draft a sentence to update the attribution in videos section of the attribution guidelines and ask the board to approve in a circular.

Welcome to Simon Hughes

Reportage and action item updates

HOT trademark agreement

Feedback by Guillaume Rischard (Board chairperson)

Current status:

  • Progressing slowly.
  • The board is thinking about what is in for OSMF.
  • There have been some suggestion on how to progress.

There will be a board screen-to-screen meeting in ~10 days.

The discussion was not minuted, after request.

OSMF DMCA agent renewal

The OSMF DMCA agent renewal is due in April. While anyone can do this, reimbursement can be tedious. Can the Treasurer take care of this?

  • Note that this was done end of January. No need for more action.

Check OTRS tickets

Dermot’s Belgian love letter

  • Dermot has provided a generalised draft based on the Belgian emails to people who have used OSM data without attribution.
  • No specific frameworks are mentioned on the generalised draft (e.g. Mapbox API).
  • Friendly style kept.

Feedback: A few sentences were a bit awkward.

Action items:

  • LWG to add comments to the draft template email by Dermot that the community will be able to send to people who have used OSM data without attribution.
  • Dermot to have another look at the draft.

Needed: Update to Copyright FAQ page to match new attribution guidelines

On changes to copyright page suggested by Simon Hughes (2022-01 action item)

  • Suggestions look good.
  • The changes will be made with a pull request to the OSM website's repository.

On Copyright FAQ page translations

Pending issue: Changes in the translations of the FAQ page should be considered. Some translations are even older than the current English version.

Action items

  • Guillaume to mention 1) the changes to the copyright page to the board, in case there are any disagreements, 2) that a budget might be requested for translations.
  • Dermot to do the pull request for the changes to the copyright page.
  • The LWG to make edits to the Copyright FAQ page and mark anything that is not matching the attribution guidelines or is confusing and circulate that internally.

Attribution in videos

No comments on the edits suggested by Kathleen to the attribution guidelines regarding attribution in videos.

Action item: Guillaume to mention the suggested changes to the attribution guidelines to the board and that if anyone has any objections to create a circular before the 17th of March.

Inquiry from the Board

For people who are motivated to advertise OSM (not just attribute), do the suggested designs follow the attribution guidelines?

  • Designs should be clickable in interactive media.
  • URL should be added in non-interactive media.

Other point mentioned

  • The suggested designs are adequate/more than what is required, which is not a problem.
  • Some people who use OSM data treat attribution as an annoying thing that they don't want to do. These designs could be used as "advertising OSM" and something positive.

Action items: Kathleen to write back to Tobias Knerr.

Agenda and trademark notice review

Kathleen can continue to do agendas if the team of Simon Hughes can take over trademark notice review.

Rescheduling recurring meeting time

Kathleen: "Daylight savings in the US is March 13 and in Europe March 27, so March 17 will be our "weird" meeting - 1830 UTC, US participants take note that locally it'll be an hour later! Starting with the April meeting, we'll switch to 1730 UTC, which should put us all on the original local time: 10:30am PT/1:30pm ET/6:30pm GMT/7:30pm CET"

Feb 17 - 1830 UTC
Mar 17 - 1830 UTC
Apr 14 - 1730 UTC
May 12 - 1730 UTC
Jun 09 - 1730 UTC
Jul 07 - 1730 UTC
Aug 04 - 1730 UTC
Sep 15 - 1730 UTC
Oct 13 - 1730 UTC
Nov 10 - 1830 UTC
Dec 08 - 1830 UTC

Trademark notices

Nothing noticeable.

Any other business

Do we want to receive the newsletter of www.harald-thome.de to privacy@osmfoundation.org?

Question by Tom Hummel

  • It seems like spam.
  • LWG will unsubscribe.

Printed map in Germany without attribution

The community member who had notified LWG about printed maps of a county in Germany without attribution, has provided some additional information:

  • Images of the map, which uses Mapnik style, is surrounded by advertisements with no other content, and below the map is mentioned "All rights reserved" etc.
  • Links to the changesets which show how the community member's changes ended in the printed map.
  • Information that the company distributing the map creates the county newsletter, while they probably piggyback this map with some advertisements on it. The county might not know what they are doing.

Other point mentioned: Power of Attorney granted to FOSSGIS (German Local Chapter) a couple of years ago by the OSMF board was for a different case with printed maps which lacked attribution.

Action item: Tom to check with Falk Zscheile from FOSSGIS (German Local Chapter) if this case is on their radar. If not, the LWG will use Dermot's "love letter".

Next meeting

Thursday 2022-03-17 at 1830 UTC.

Meeting adjourned 18:55 UTC.