Difference between revisions of "Local Chapters and Communities Working Group"

From OpenStreetMap Foundation
Jump to navigation Jump to search
(→‎Who we are: Added Arnalie, removed Sophie)
 
(56 intermediate revisions by 3 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
  +
[[File:Osm world network.png|frameless|right|400px]]
One of the foundation [[Working Groups]], the '''Local Chapters Working Group''' are responsible for running the process of setting up federated OSM-Foundation [[Local Chapters]]
 
  +
  +
The '''Local Chapters and Communities Working Group''' ('''LCCWG''') is tasked with finding and implementing ways for the Foundation to support the growth of local communities and potentially encourage established communities to further organise themselves and eventually formally affiliate with the Foundation as one of its [[Local Chapters]]. Aside from that, the LCCWG will also facilitate a global exchange of ideas and support among Local Chapters and communities and review and suggest improvements to the Local Chapters affiliation scheme.
  +
  +
OpenStreetMap is a global project and mappers are self-organising at the local level to collaborate with each other and to hold events such as workshops, mapathons, and mapping parties. As an organisation with a global mission, the Foundation may not always be best placed to reach and support such mappers, especially people speaking in languages other than English. This is the reason why the Foundation set up the Local Chapters Working Group in 2011 to formulate an affiliation scheme to recognise Local Chapters. This task was finally done in August 2014 when the Board [[Board_Meeting_Minutes_2014-08-05#1._Local_Chapters_Agreement|approved]] the [[Local Chapters/Template agreement|template agreement]] that is signed between recognised Local Chapters and the Foundation, and the working group then became inactive.
  +
  +
Since then, several Local Chapters have been approved by the Foundation and some interested OSMF members have reconvened (pivotally, during State of the Map 2018) with the intention of restarting the working group as the Local Chapters and Communities Working Group. Regular meetings started in September 2019 and the Board [[Board/Minutes/2019-12#2019.2FRes31 Approve relaunch of LCWG as LCCWG with new mission statement|approved the relaunch]] of the LCCWG as an official Foundation working group.
  +
 
__NOTOC__
 
__NOTOC__
  +
== Focus items ==
Now that Local Chapters are up and running, the group has been restarted as a place to encourage the growth of local communities and set them on a path to maybe one day become a Local Chapter.
 
  +
The following are the three focus items that the working group will concentrate on:
   
  +
{| class="wikitable" width="100%"
==Who we are==
 
  +
! width="33%" | Building local community cohesion
  +
! width="33%" | Facilitating a global exchange of ideas
  +
! width="33%" | Improving the Local Chapters affiliation scheme
  +
|-
  +
| valign="top" | We will explore and develop ideas for the Foundation support the growth of Local Chapters and local communities, including helping mappers communicate or meet up with other local mappers, and working to reduce the challenges created by the fragmented nature of OSM.
  +
| valign="top" | We will aim to provide Local Chapters and local communities with venues and communication channels to exchange ideas and share best practices in growing their communities. This may include reviving/managing the local-chapters mailing list and organizing sessions like the Local Chapters Congress during State of the Map or other events.
  +
| valign="top" | We will review the role of Local Chapters within the Foundation and the interactions between them. Based on our findings we will make recommendations to the Board as to how the affiliation scheme can be improved to provide a stronger case for local communities to eventually become Local Chapters, or possibly suggest creating new affiliation models such as less-formal user groups.
  +
|}
   
  +
== Who we are ==
* Rob Nickerson
 
  +
The current members of the working group are the following people:
* Ben Abelshausen
 
* Eugene Alvin Villar
 
* Stefano (sabas88)
 
* Clifford Snow
 
* Joost Schouppe
 
   
  +
{| class="wikitable" width="100%"
==Former Members==
 
  +
! Name
  +
!
  +
! Local community
  +
! Remarks
  +
|-
  +
| Jonathan Beliën
  +
| 🇧🇪
  +
| OpenStreetMap Belgium*
  +
| OSMBE Board member
  +
|-
  +
| Maggie Cawley
  +
| 🇺🇸
  +
| OpenStreetMap US*
  +
| OSM US Executive Director and LCCWG Chair
  +
|-
  +
| Nicholas Chavent
  +
|
  +
| Francophonie community
  +
| HOT founding member
  +
|-
  +
| Charles Chilufya
  +
| 🇿🇲
  +
| Zambia local community
  +
| University of Zambia YouthMappers Lead
  +
|-
  +
| Naveen Francis
  +
| 🇮🇳
  +
| India local community
  +
|
  +
|-
  +
| Besfort Guri
  +
| 🇽🇰
  +
| FLOSSK* (OSM Kosovo)
  +
| FLOSSK Board member and [[Advisory Board|OSMF Advisory Board member]]
  +
|-
  +
| Adam Hoyle
  +
| 🇬🇧
  +
| OpenStreetMap United Kingdom*
  +
| OSM UK Director
  +
|-
  +
| Geoffrey Kateregga
  +
| 🇺🇬
  +
| OpenStreetMap Uganda
  +
| OSM UG Chair, HOT East Africa Hub Community Manager, and OSMF Microgrants Committee member
  +
|-
  +
| Anisa Kuci
  +
| 🇮🇹
  +
| Wikimedia Italia*
  +
| OSM project manager
  +
|-
  +
| Rob Nickerson
  +
| 🇬🇧
  +
| OpenStreetMap United Kingdom*
  +
| Former OSM UK Director and [[Advisory Board|OSMF Advisory Board member]]
  +
|-
  +
| Jorge Gustavo Rocha
  +
| 🇵🇹
  +
| OSGeo Portugal
  +
| OSGeo Portugal President
  +
|-
  +
| Joost Schouppe
  +
| 🇧🇪
  +
| OpenStreetMap Belgium*
  +
| OSMBE Board member
  +
|-
  +
| Clifford Snow
  +
| 🇺🇸
  +
| OpenStreetMap US*
  +
| OSMF Microgrants Committee member
  +
|-
  +
| Patrick Stählin
  +
| 🇨🇭
  +
| Swiss OpenStreetMap Association*
  +
| SOSM Board member and [[Advisory Board|OSMF Advisory Board member]]
  +
|-
  +
| Arnalie Vicario
  +
|
  +
| HOT
  +
| HOT Online Community Engagement Lead
  +
|-
  +
| Eugene Alvin Villar
  +
| 🇵🇭
  +
| Philippines local community
  +
| OSMF Board member
  +
|}
   
  +
:''* Local Chapter''
  +
  +
=== Former working group members ===
  +
The following were members of either the original Local Chapters Working Group or the current one. People marked with a * are still following the local@osmfoundation.org mailing list or are active in the chatroom.
  +
  +
<div style="column-count:3">
 
* Hrvoje Bogner
 
* Hrvoje Bogner
* Emilie Laffray
+
* Emilie Laffray
 
* Douglas Ssebaggala
 
* Douglas Ssebaggala
 
* Christian Quest
 
* Christian Quest
 
* Dimitar Dimitrov
 
* Dimitar Dimitrov
* Jorge Gustavo Rocha*
 
 
* Hugo Holscher
 
* Hugo Holscher
 
* Gerhardus Geldenhuis
 
* Gerhardus Geldenhuis
 
* Mikel Maron*
 
* Mikel Maron*
* Simon Poole
+
* Sophie Mower
  +
* Simon Poole*
* Patrick Staehlin
 
  +
* Stefano Sabatini
  +
</div>
   
  +
=== Join us! ===
People marked with a * are still following the local@osmfoundation address.
 
  +
People who are interested to become a working group member should [[#Get in touch|contact]] the working group and then join the next [[#Meeting and minutes|meeting]] where the working group can then approve the membership.
   
  +
There is currently no limit to the number of members or the length of a member's term and it is not necessary to represent a recognised Local Chapter to become a member. To avoid over dominance by any particular group, existing local communities are advised to coordinate their participation. The working group's suggestion is that these groups nominate up to two representatives.
==Get in touch==
 
   
  +
== Get in touch ==
You can get in touch with the whole team at: [mailto:local@osmfoundation.org local@osmfoundation.org]
 
  +
You can get in touch with the whole working group at: [mailto:local@osmfoundation.org local@osmfoundation.org].
   
Discussions and announcements will be made via [mailto:local-chapters@openstreetmap.org local-chapters@openstreetmap.org].
+
Discussions and official announcements with the wider community are done via the local-chapters mailing list. You can subscribe to this list here: http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/local-chapters/
You can subscribe to this OSMF Local-Chapters mailing list at http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo
 
   
We have a single chat channel you can reach via:
+
For quick chats and light discussions, we have an integrated channel you can reach via any of the following options:
 
* [https://t.me/joinchat/CY4DIhBlSw8bM47ETAT9pw Telegram]
 
* [https://t.me/joinchat/CY4DIhBlSw8bM47ETAT9pw Telegram]
 
* [https://riot.im/app/#/room/#osmcommunity:matrix.org Riot/matrix]
 
* [https://riot.im/app/#/room/#osmcommunity:matrix.org Riot/matrix]
 
* [ircs://irc.oftc.net:6697/osmcommunity IRC] (#osmcommunity on OFTC)
 
* [ircs://irc.oftc.net:6697/osmcommunity IRC] (#osmcommunity on OFTC)
   
  +
== Meeting and minutes ==
==Meetings==
 
  +
The LCCWG regularly meets every month and is held remotely, usually through Big Blue Button. Anybody is free to join the meeting!
 
We are currently restarting the LCWG after a long hiatus and expect to have a kick-off meeting some time in early March 2013. Details will be announced on the osmf-talk and local-chapter mailing lists.
 
 
==Minutes==
 
   
  +
Meetings will be held and chaired by the working group chairperson. Members shall be notified about meetings at least 5 days in advance of each meeting. It is recommended that the announcement include an agenda. This will provide time for members to gather input from their local communities.
See [[Working Group Minutes#Local Chapters Working Group]]
 
   
  +
{| class="wikitable" width="100%"
==Useful links==
 
  +
! 2021
  +
! 2020
  +
! 2019
  +
! LCWG (previous WG)
  +
|-
  +
| valign="top" |
  +
* [[/Meeting minutes/2021-01-25|Jan 25]]
  +
* [[/Meeting minutes/2021-02-22|Feb 22]]
  +
| valign="top" |
  +
* [[/Meeting minutes/2020-11-23|Nov 23]]
  +
* [[/Meeting minutes/2020-10-19|Oct 19]]
  +
* [[/Meeting minutes/2020-09-21|Sep 21]]
  +
* [[/Meeting minutes/2020-08-17|Aug 17]]
  +
* [[/Meeting minutes/2020-07-20|Jul 20]]
  +
* [[/Meeting minutes/2020-06-15|Jun 15]]
  +
* [[/Meeting minutes/2020-05-18|May 18]]
  +
* [[/Meeting minutes/2020-04-20|Apr 20]]
  +
* [[/Meeting minutes/2020-03-23|Mar 23]]
  +
* [[/Meeting minutes/2020-02-17|Feb 17]]
  +
* [[/Meeting minutes/2020-01-20|Jan 20]]
  +
| valign="top" |
  +
* [[/Meeting minutes/2019-11-12|Nov 12]]
  +
* [[/Meeting minutes/2019-10-09|Oct 9]]
  +
* [[/Meeting minutes/2019-09-03|Sep 3]]
  +
| valign="top" |
  +
* [https://docs.google.com/document/d/178oHWarpLS4lZ2BXE8O3RuvJECfWEyk25DuTlyIiqbY 2014-08-03] (draft)
  +
* [[Local Chapters Working Group/Meeting 2013-11-27|2013-11-27]]
  +
* [https://docs.google.com/document/d/17xGA0i9m0aPlWyImamdLwuwPaTUcQ-St4UFhL4M4Pnc 2013-09-20]
  +
* [[Local Chapters Working Group/Meeting 2013-03-21|2013-03-21]]
  +
* [[Local Chapters Working Group/Meeting 2011-04-19|2011-04-19]]
  +
* [[Local Chapters Working Group/Meeting 2011-04-06|2011-04-06]]
  +
* [[Local Chapters Working Group/Meeting 2011-03-16|2011-03-16]]
  +
|}
   
  +
== LCCWG Moderation Subcommittee ==
* [http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Foundation/Local_Chapters Local Chapters page on the OSM wiki]
 
  +
In December 2020, the OpenStreetMap Foundation (OSMF) Board [https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2020/12/11/message-from-osmf-board-chair-on-mailing-list-behavior/ set out] to “find partners to help instate a moderator team for the OSMF-talk and talk mailing lists” and in their December 2020 meeting requested that the LCCWG take the lead on this initiative. Subsequently, this group has been formed as a subcommittee of LCCWG. The Moderation Subcommittee is a temporary group of OSM community members working on [https://hackmd.io/TlZ5i1oKRt6v9Mfxe5TcfQ this Scope of Work] via [https://hackmd.io/oqst2Pt1RlyLITj5lmMLcg this Implementation Plan.] Learn more about participants and find links to any draft documents [[Local Chapters and Communities Working Group/Moderation Subcommittee|on the subcommittee's page]].
   
  +
== Useful links ==
  +
* [http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Foundation/Local_Chapters Local Chapters page on the OSM Wiki]
  +
* [https://gitlab.com/osmfoundation/lccwg LCCWG GitLab repository]
  +
* [https://github.com/osmfoundation/lcwg LCWG GitHub repository] (defunct)
   
 
[[Category:Working Groups]]
 
[[Category:Working Groups]]

Latest revision as of 15:42, 25 October 2021

Osm world network.png

The Local Chapters and Communities Working Group (LCCWG) is tasked with finding and implementing ways for the Foundation to support the growth of local communities and potentially encourage established communities to further organise themselves and eventually formally affiliate with the Foundation as one of its Local Chapters. Aside from that, the LCCWG will also facilitate a global exchange of ideas and support among Local Chapters and communities and review and suggest improvements to the Local Chapters affiliation scheme.

OpenStreetMap is a global project and mappers are self-organising at the local level to collaborate with each other and to hold events such as workshops, mapathons, and mapping parties. As an organisation with a global mission, the Foundation may not always be best placed to reach and support such mappers, especially people speaking in languages other than English. This is the reason why the Foundation set up the Local Chapters Working Group in 2011 to formulate an affiliation scheme to recognise Local Chapters. This task was finally done in August 2014 when the Board approved the template agreement that is signed between recognised Local Chapters and the Foundation, and the working group then became inactive.

Since then, several Local Chapters have been approved by the Foundation and some interested OSMF members have reconvened (pivotally, during State of the Map 2018) with the intention of restarting the working group as the Local Chapters and Communities Working Group. Regular meetings started in September 2019 and the Board approved the relaunch of the LCCWG as an official Foundation working group.


Focus items

The following are the three focus items that the working group will concentrate on:

Building local community cohesion Facilitating a global exchange of ideas Improving the Local Chapters affiliation scheme
We will explore and develop ideas for the Foundation support the growth of Local Chapters and local communities, including helping mappers communicate or meet up with other local mappers, and working to reduce the challenges created by the fragmented nature of OSM. We will aim to provide Local Chapters and local communities with venues and communication channels to exchange ideas and share best practices in growing their communities. This may include reviving/managing the local-chapters mailing list and organizing sessions like the Local Chapters Congress during State of the Map or other events. We will review the role of Local Chapters within the Foundation and the interactions between them. Based on our findings we will make recommendations to the Board as to how the affiliation scheme can be improved to provide a stronger case for local communities to eventually become Local Chapters, or possibly suggest creating new affiliation models such as less-formal user groups.

Who we are

The current members of the working group are the following people:

Name Local community Remarks
Jonathan Beliën 🇧🇪 OpenStreetMap Belgium* OSMBE Board member
Maggie Cawley 🇺🇸 OpenStreetMap US* OSM US Executive Director and LCCWG Chair
Nicholas Chavent Francophonie community HOT founding member
Charles Chilufya 🇿🇲 Zambia local community University of Zambia YouthMappers Lead
Naveen Francis 🇮🇳 India local community
Besfort Guri 🇽🇰 FLOSSK* (OSM Kosovo) FLOSSK Board member and OSMF Advisory Board member
Adam Hoyle 🇬🇧 OpenStreetMap United Kingdom* OSM UK Director
Geoffrey Kateregga 🇺🇬 OpenStreetMap Uganda OSM UG Chair, HOT East Africa Hub Community Manager, and OSMF Microgrants Committee member
Anisa Kuci 🇮🇹 Wikimedia Italia* OSM project manager
Rob Nickerson 🇬🇧 OpenStreetMap United Kingdom* Former OSM UK Director and OSMF Advisory Board member
Jorge Gustavo Rocha 🇵🇹 OSGeo Portugal OSGeo Portugal President
Joost Schouppe 🇧🇪 OpenStreetMap Belgium* OSMBE Board member
Clifford Snow 🇺🇸 OpenStreetMap US* OSMF Microgrants Committee member
Patrick Stählin 🇨🇭 Swiss OpenStreetMap Association* SOSM Board member and OSMF Advisory Board member
Arnalie Vicario HOT HOT Online Community Engagement Lead
Eugene Alvin Villar 🇵🇭 Philippines local community OSMF Board member
* Local Chapter

Former working group members

The following were members of either the original Local Chapters Working Group or the current one. People marked with a * are still following the local@osmfoundation.org mailing list or are active in the chatroom.

  • Hrvoje Bogner
  • Emilie Laffray
  • Douglas Ssebaggala
  • Christian Quest
  • Dimitar Dimitrov
  • Hugo Holscher
  • Gerhardus Geldenhuis
  • Mikel Maron*
  • Sophie Mower
  • Simon Poole*
  • Stefano Sabatini

Join us!

People who are interested to become a working group member should contact the working group and then join the next meeting where the working group can then approve the membership.

There is currently no limit to the number of members or the length of a member's term and it is not necessary to represent a recognised Local Chapter to become a member. To avoid over dominance by any particular group, existing local communities are advised to coordinate their participation. The working group's suggestion is that these groups nominate up to two representatives.

Get in touch

You can get in touch with the whole working group at: local@osmfoundation.org.

Discussions and official announcements with the wider community are done via the local-chapters mailing list. You can subscribe to this list here: http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/local-chapters/

For quick chats and light discussions, we have an integrated channel you can reach via any of the following options:

Meeting and minutes

The LCCWG regularly meets every month and is held remotely, usually through Big Blue Button. Anybody is free to join the meeting!

Meetings will be held and chaired by the working group chairperson. Members shall be notified about meetings at least 5 days in advance of each meeting. It is recommended that the announcement include an agenda. This will provide time for members to gather input from their local communities.

2021 2020 2019 LCWG (previous WG)

LCCWG Moderation Subcommittee

In December 2020, the OpenStreetMap Foundation (OSMF) Board set out to “find partners to help instate a moderator team for the OSMF-talk and talk mailing lists” and in their December 2020 meeting requested that the LCCWG take the lead on this initiative. Subsequently, this group has been formed as a subcommittee of LCCWG. The Moderation Subcommittee is a temporary group of OSM community members working on this Scope of Work via this Implementation Plan. Learn more about participants and find links to any draft documents on the subcommittee's page.

Useful links