Difference between revisions of "Local Chapters and Communities Working Group/Meeting minutes/2020-02-17"
m (→GitLab repository: Fix syntax)
(Minutes approved during the March 2020 meeting)
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
<div style="margin:2em 0;border:1px solid #9B9;background:#EFE;padding:0.5em;text-align:center">
<font color="red">Draft Minutes</font>
Latest revision as of 17:37, 23 March 2020
- 1 News and updates
- 2 Attendance
- 3 Administrative
- 4 Focus items
- 4.1 Building local community cohesion
- 4.2 Facilitating a global exchange of ideas
- 4.3 Improving the Local Chapters affiliation scheme
- 5 Other items
- 6 Next meeting
Meeting started at 17:02 UTC.
- Ben - BE
- Clifford - US
- Eugene - PH
- Maggie - US
- Rob - UK
- Joost - BE (with apologies)
- Patrick - CH
- Stefano - IT
Approval of the 2020-01-20 meeting minutes
- Unanimously approved after some feedback from Rob and Maggie regarding a couple of items on the minutes.
Based on the previous meeting minutes, Rob raised some matters relating to how the WG's tasks fall under the current aims of the WG. For example, Rob said that he expected Microcosm to be in the second aim instead of the first. He sees the following broad tasks that the WG should pursue:
- Directly helping new groups establish themselves;
- Directly helping existing groups to get bigger;
- Creating/fostering an environment where new and existing groups can help each other (without relying on LCCWG as an intermediary);
- Reviewing/improving the Local Chapters affiliation scheme.
After some more discussion, the WG agreed to continue with the current 3 aims and revisit this in the future after some ongoing tasks have been completed (such as the survey) which would further inform the WG's work and objectives.
Previous action items
- Items in bold and highlighted are updates in status or new action items.
|Eugene||Send an email to the osmf-talk list about the re-launch of the WG and solicit members who want to join the WG||Done, see mailing list post (2020-02-02)||2019-09 meeting|
|Eugene||Publish WG ToR to the local-chapters list||Done by updating the LCCWG page on the OSMF website to reflect the current status of the WG, incorporate the approved Terms of Reference into the page, and do other updates and improvements (2020-01-31)||SotM 2019 LCC|
|All||Create a page at the OSM Wiki to provide a curated list of these projects/tools and to promote this as widely as possible||Ongoing: “OSMCAL”, “Welcome Mat” and “Building inclusive spaces” sections have been added||2019-10, 2019-11 meetings|
|Clifford||Run a survey with existing chapters and chapters-to-be to get their views why they applied/will apply to become a chapter||Draft survey created
(see agenda item 2.3.1 below for succeeding discussion)
|Joost||Update the OSMF Website to reflect the current status of the LCCWG||Done (2020-01-20)||2020-01 meeting|
|Maggie, Rob||Steer WG discussion in preparation for the Local Chapters Congress session at SotM 2020||Ongoing||2020-01 meeting|
|Joost||Create a GitLab repository for the LCCWG||Done (2020-01-21)
(see agenda item 3.3 below for further discussion)
|None||Do a comparison of features of various OSM websites||Informally started by Joost||2020-01 meeting|
Per the Terms of Reference, WG members should work on the focus items.
Building local community cohesion
What can the LCCWG do to further support this initiative and have it move forward?
- Action item: Maggie and Clifford to take the initiative to find ways or resources to push this feature forward.
Building local communities OSM Wiki page
Previous action item:
- Add Welcome Mat - Now done
- Add welcoming tools
- Add a section about “building inclusive spaces” - Now done
The WG agreed to leave this item on the back burner for now and focus on other items.
Facilitating a global exchange of ideas
Local Chapters Congress at SotM 2020
- Action item: Eugene will ask Board on behalf of the WG for funding for 2 WG members to attend SotM 2020.
- Maggie again suggested submitting a lightning talk that will introduce the WG and encourage people to join.
- Action item: WG to brainstorm content for the LCC over the coming months.
Comparison of OSM websites
In the January meeting, the WG agreed to run a comparison of the features of various OSM websites run by various Local Chapters and communities. The idea is that this can provide information on improving the OSM website, but more importantly for the WG's work, the comparison can be used as a source for Local Chapters and local communities for when they create or improve their own websites.
- Who wants to lead this task?
- Since Joost already started doing the comparison, the WG agreed to ask Joost to take the lead on this task.
- The expected timeline/due dates, expected output, and next steps for doing this comparison were not discussed.
Improving the Local Chapters affiliation scheme
Local Chapters survey
Clifford has created the draft survey, has solicited feedback from the LCCWG members, and has updated the survey based on the initial feedback.
- Do we need to have the survey translated?
- The WG agreed not to proactively translate the survey but could request the community to do volunteer translations.
- Which Local Chapters, chapters-to-be, and communities should we target with this survey?
- The WG agreed that existing and applying Local Chapters would be targeted as well as many local communities as possible.
- What is the expected timeline for running the survey?
- The WG agreed to send out the survey on March 1st then leave open for 2 months (until the end of April).
- The expected output and next steps after doing this durvey were not discussed.
User group affiliation scheme
Based on previous discussion, there doesn't seem to be any real opposition to the Foundation having a lighter affiliation scheme such as recognizing user groups. Should we push forward with a proposal to have the Foundation also recognize informal (non-government-registered) groups and communities? If yes, what is the expected relationship between the Foundation and such user groups (we need a framework similar to the Local Chapter template agreement).
- The WG agreed to put this in the back burner for now.
- Action item: Eugene will formulate a question to be added to the survey regarding the user group option.
Involvement of LCCWG in the Local Chapter application process
- Please refer to the “Involvement of LCCWG in Local Chapter application process” news and updates item above for background.
Should the LCCWG be involved in the Local Chapter application process? This means we would change our current position (Nov 2019) on supporting the establishment of new Local Chapters? If yes, what should the involvement be? Rob proposed a new position: As long as the local community can put in the work to find answers themselves, the LCCWG will help with basic review and make recommendations to the Board if financial support is needed.
- The WG agreed to have passive involvement for now so that we get familiar with the application process with the view to eventually becoming more involved in the future.
- Action item: The WG agreed to work with OSM India as a trial in supporting local groups way before they apply to become a local chapter, ask Allan for copy of his notes, and also ask OSM India to also fill out the survey.
Call for Microgrants Committee volunteers
Joost has put out the call for volunteers to join the OSMF Microgrants Committee. What can the LCCWG do to support the Microgrants program since this will likely involve Local Chapters and communities?
- Clifford stated that groups asking for help in growing their communities via the microgrants program can approach the WG.
- Please refer to the “FOSS Policy” news and updates item above for background.
Is the WG happy with the responses to Tobias so far? Is there any need to respond further?
- The WG agreed that there is no need to respond further. We have already generally expressed our views.
- Action item: Eugene to request Joost to archive the GitHub repository and also add a link there pointing to the new GitLab repository.
- The WG agreed to use the repo issue tracker to track the WG's action items.
- Action item: Eugene to create issues for our action items. WG members will send to Eugene their GitLab user names.
Next meeting will on March 16 (third Monday), 17:00 UTC.
- Clifford already put a notice that he cannot attend this meeting.
Meeting ended at 18:36 UTC.