Local Chapters and Communities Working Group/Meeting minutes/2020-05-18

From OpenStreetMap Foundation
< Local Chapters and Communities Working Group
Revision as of 22:50, 21 June 2020 by Eugene (talk | contribs) (Minutes approved during the June 2020 meeting)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Meeting started at 17:04 UTC.


Attendance

Present

  • Ben - BE
  • Clifford - US
  • Eugene - PH
  • Geoffrey - UG (joined at around 17:23)
  • Joost - BE
  • Maggie
  • Rob - UK

Not present

  • Patrick - CH
  • Stefano - IT

Administrative

Approval of the 2020-04-20 meeting minutes

Local Chapters and Communities Working Group/Meeting minutes/2020-04-20

  • Approved unanimously

Accept Geoffrey Kateregga to the WG

Background: Geoffrey Kateregga requested to join the LCCWG. Geoffrey is from the OpenStreetMap Uganda community and is also a member of the OSMF Microgrants Committee.

  • Approved unanimously
  • Action item: Joost to add Geoffrey to the local@osmfoundation.org mailing list.

Non-disclosure agreement

  • Has everybody signed the NDA and submitted it back to Dorothea?
  • Action item: Eugene to ask Dorothea to forward the NDA to Geoffrey.

Previous action items

Items in bold and highlighted are updates in status or new action items.
Assigned Item Status Source
Clifford Run a survey with existing chapters and chapters-to-be to get their views why they applied/will apply to become a chapter Analysis is ongoing
(Issue #2)
2019-11 meeting
Maggie, Rob Plan for an online/virtual series of Local Chapters Congress events Ongoing
(Issue #3)
2020-01 meeting
Joost Do a comparison of features of various OSM websites Comparison mostly done; next steps not yet started
(Issue #1)
2020-01 meeting
All Work with OSM India to become a Local Chapter Not yet
(Issue #5)
2020-02 meeting
Maggie, Clifford Support the development of microcosm Ongoing
(Issue #7)
2020-02 meeting
All Work on tools and technology to welcome new mappers Ongoing
(Issue #8)
2020-04 meeting
All Sign NDA with the OSMF Ongoing Internal OSMF communication related to Local Chapters Survey

Focus items

Per the Terms of Reference, WG members should work on the focus items.

Building local community cohesion

microcosm

See GitLab issue #7.

  • Updates since the last meeting:
    • Clifford talked with Brian and he said that 1 person working on the initial project is sufficient but would need help setting up a dev instance.
    • Clifford drafted a letter to the OWG requesting a dev instance.
      • Letter is no longer needed.
    • Clifford may have also contacted Andy Allan and has sent Paul an email. Joost has also asked Paul Norman and Paul said that Brian should request an instance.
    • Brian is working on automated tests.
  • Maggie: OSM US will have a Mappy Hour featuring microcosm.

Welcoming new mappers

See GitLab issue #8.

  • Sub-task 1: Allow recognized groups and organizations (for now, Local Chapters, as an incentive to becoming a LC) to send messages to OSM users.
    • Ben looked at various tools related to sub-task 1 and will take on the lead.
    • Action item: Create a separate GitLab ticket for sub-task 1 and reformulate the existing ticket just for sub-task 2.
  • Sub-task 2: Set up one of the functioning tools for welcoming new mappers to be used by as many groups as possible.
    • Maggie to take the lead for sub-task 2.

Microgrants 2020

Background: The call for microgrant proposals phase of the 1st round of the OSMF Microgrants program has closed. The call for review phase is currently ongoing until May 21. Clifford (also a Microgrants Committee member) has suggested the WG recommend proposals that will help build the community.

  • This is not a formal WG task but just a request from the Microgrants Committee to LCCWG.

Facilitating a global exchange of ideas

Comparison of OSM websites

See GitLab issue #1.

  • Update: Joost has posted his initial thoughts.
  • Next steps? New action items? Blog post? OSMF-talk ML post?
    • Rob: WG should put a formal recommendation to update the OSM website based on the results.
    • Action item: WG to create a "LCCWG" OSM user to allow posting of OSM diary entries on behalf of the WG to get feedback from the community. These entries can eventually become official OSM blog articles.

SotM 2020/Online Local Chapters and Communities Congress (LCCC)

See GitLab issue #3.

  • Updates since the last meeting:
  • Maggie: Sessions should provide a prerecorded video and the deadline for submission of the video is on June 8.
    • Action item: Maggie to make a calendar invite for June 8 to review the final video.
  • WG agreed to hold the LCCC separately and later from SotM 2020.

Improving the Local Chapters affiliation scheme

Local Chapters survey

See GitLab issue #2.

  • Update: Clifford has shared the responses to the WG.
  • Next steps?
    • What action items arising from the responses should the WG tackle?
    • When do we share the responses (summarized?) with the Board, OSMF, community? Blog post? OSMF-talk ML post?
  • WG agreed to invite Local Chapters to future LCCWG meetings based on their survey responses.
  • Action item: WG members to read and review survey responses.
  • Action item: Clifford to create a new summary document.
  • Rob + Joost: Alongside the website comparison task, WG should make formal recommendations as a WG for updates to the OSM website.

Working with OSM India

See GitLab issue #5.

  • Rob: Allan sent contact details of OSM India.
  • Action item: Eugene to get contact details from Rob and talk with OSM India.

Other business

Next meeting

Next meeting will be on June 15 (third Monday) at 15:00 UTC using Jitsi. Eugene will send a calendar invite.


Meeting ended at 18:38 UTC.